Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Darkobra » 21 Oct 2012, 08:53

And that picture mitigated my need to scream angrily at the bots.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 21 Oct 2012, 15:31

Hard drive dying no time no money bye.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 22 Oct 2012, 09:16

Alone at 4am, in a house I've been living in for one week. Pitch black, horribly cold. About to go to bed, already kinda on edge (Yes, I love the dark, but i'm kinda scared of it... shutup.) Oh, what's that brain, let's just read this thread on Reddit: What is the scariest (unexplained) thing you've ever experienced.

Read two stories, too scared to turn around, stare into monitor for 5 minutes before slowly turning around and turning the light on.

Now I want a smoke, but it's pitch black out there, and like, -400 degrees. And i'm terrified of everything right now!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Oct 2012, 10:28

Posting here as a follow up rather than a vent: The snow was mostly melted by mid afternoon yesterday, and now it's back up to ten degrees and windy. So not winter yet, but still an unpleasant bit of foreshadowing.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 22 Oct 2012, 10:30

Meanwhile, in L.A.:

Me at 11:30 am: What a lovely day! *sun comes out* Oh godfuckdammit.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Oct 2012, 12:37

I've been calculating finance around hypothetically getting cards printed and I found out something that isn't nice.

The best option for me is to order:

100 cards at £76.53

Using the shop I supply to as a template who takes a 30% commition.
Hypothetically selling the cards at £1.60 with a commition of £0.48 on each, it leaves me with £1.12 takings.

Subtract price of manufacturing per card from the takings, £1.12 - ££0.77 I get £0.35 profit.

That's about a 45% profit per card.

That is assuming I am not simply selling the card to the shop up-front for say £1. That would eat heavily into my profit.

Theoretically if I sell all 100 cards I could make a profit of £34.44 which isn't really much given I risk £76.53. Will I actually be able to sell the cards? How much time will I spend trying to sell the cards to shop to stock?

The amount of potential reward isn't worth the risk I am willing to take :\

I r sad panda. A great idea is shattered.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Oct 2012, 14:31

So, a month later, the prof for my final year project course finally sent me the source files for the project we're supposed to continue development on. It's supposed to be a program to automatically compare courses between different universities to help determine what courses are equivalent for transfer students, that kind of thing.

EVERYTHING is in a single C# desktop application project. EVERYTHING. No class libraries separating the analysis engine from the front end, no course database (you manually select xml files to compare), just a whole lot of nasty code. No wonder nobody's done development on it in the past 3 years, just looking at it drives me into a murderous rage.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 22 Oct 2012, 14:39

My parenting strategy from the past 3 years has started to backfire on me. Now the kid won't eat the yummy supper I made him (and I know he likes it). Instead he throws a tantrum, and as I've trained him, goes off to bed. Argh!! Now who is going to eat the 2 drumsticks? I can't.

Edit: THANK YOU LRR! With the promise of being allowed to watch the new episode, my son is now happily munching on his chicken.
Why must toddlers be so finicky?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Oct 2012, 15:41

^Did you show him last week's... *shudder*

I don't think I was fussy when I was a toddler. I remember eating lots of things which I really didn't enjoy;
My mum's 'scabby' cheese-on-toast
Spaghetti shapes in tomato sauce from a can :(

Seriously, if you make Cheese on Toast and the cheese is like scabs/dry then you are doing it utterly wrong.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 22 Oct 2012, 16:04

He thought last weeks video was amusing. Then again, I think he has a tiny crush on Kathleen and he really likes Graham and Paul.
As for cooking; I'm surrently attending culinary school to fulfill a life-long dream, so my son rarely gets food from a can.

And thanks to LRR, I can usually get him to calm down from a tantrum if I let him watch Feed Dump or Loading Ready Run (to him there is a HUGE difference). Some days he hates Feed Dump and loves LRR, other days he hates LRR and loves Feed Dump. Even though he is aware that the people are the same in both. Three year olds are so Weird!
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 22 Oct 2012, 16:28

Your child is awesome.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 22 Oct 2012, 16:29

I don't think I can say anything without breaking the thread's rules horribly, so I'm just going to sit in the corner and weep for humanity.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 22 Oct 2012, 16:43

ex-Lurker wrote:Your child is awesome.

I am trying. Though I feel I am lacking as he has yet to watch Star Wars. Perhaps if he watches it, he'll stop wanting to watch the Wiggles . . . which, while catchy, get REALLY annoying after the 100th run through. Perhaps I should get more Doctor Who DVDS . . . he hasn't watched all the early episodes yet . . .
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 22 Oct 2012, 16:47

TorachiKatashi wrote:I don't think I can say anything without breaking the thread's rules horribly, so I'm just going to sit in the corner and weep for humanity.

Say it anyways, be a rebel, live free!
I absolve myself of any and all negative consequences my post may or may not cause TorachiKatashi, myself, or any other poster should anyone chooses to follow my advice. The potential consequence of following my advice without proper preparation include loss of limbs, anal leakage, head explosions and fire.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Oct 2012, 02:19

My nose is both running like a faucet, AND plugged up enough to make it difficult to breathe...and I'm only working 4 day this week; missing a day sick is gonna hurt my pacyheque, which is gonna make bill collecters nag me more, which is gonna make me sick...crap...
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Oct 2012, 03:08

Lego Batman 2 is great but the Ace Chemical level has to be the scrappiest of scrappy levels. Maybe partly down to the fact that due to graphics card problems and having to replace my laptop and one nasty bit where I got stuck in a passage it's taken me about 7 or 8 attempts over the course of a month to finally get through.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 23 Oct 2012, 08:33

New hard drive installed. And doctor's tomorrow to try to continue my treatment and money.

Something is going to go wrong in the next 24 hours. Something. Anything. And when it does, I am going to explode. I will actually destroy anything in the immediate area just by sheer willpower and the rest with brute strength.

I can't have something go right without something going TERRIBLY wrong the next day and the next day JUST HAPPENS TO BE MY DOCTOR!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 23 Oct 2012, 09:05

I really want to just shave off my 'snot cathcer' of a moustache right now...but that would involve getting ip and i don't have the strength - hell, i can't even use the laptop in bed. I'm not tired or sleepy, but weak and feeble..and a dmn mucus factory.

hell, my arms aer having trouble holding tje tiny ds up. :(

also i miss little things drom a 'real' browser - spellcheck (i know im screwing stuff up but im too fuzzy to see what) and multiple tab (check something while writing a posy)

fuck, it took me alm0st twenty minutes to ttype this

FUCK RHINOVIRUS!!!
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 23 Oct 2012, 09:25

Well, truck went dead at the pet store. Won't start at all. Had to call my aunt's mother to come pick me up, and send my uncle to go try to figure out what is wrong with it.

Good thing I don't need to be at work in two hours-- Oh, wait. Fuck.
empath

Postby empath » 23 Oct 2012, 21:57

...after being sick in bed for most of the day, I'm now wide-fucking awake at 3am. My alarm's set for 7am and I start work at 9am...even without any leftover effects of that cold, this is gonna suck... :(
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 23 Oct 2012, 22:35

I'm still awake! Hiiiii Empath!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 24 Oct 2012, 02:16

Told you so. I was right. I'd be more surprised but...
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 24 Oct 2012, 02:31

...um, I don't remember making that last 'I can't sleep' vent...

And apparently last night my nose started running again, and I got fed up with cleaning my moustache it, because I woke up with most of it hacked off and scissors in the sink. Popped an antihistimine (which stopped the runny nose just now), and had the first shave that included my upper lip in...fuck, maybe a decade or more.

It looks pretty clean of hair, but I just snapped a pic and it STILL looks like I've got 'the ghost of a 'stache'. :P

Zxyst took one look, and went back to bed. ;)

...and brought back to skin moisturizer for my kinda reddish upper lip. :)

Yeah, so I guess I'll start growing the damn thing back...right away. :P

And now, a GPONY (Gratuitous Pic of NOT Yourself...I ain't gonna look like this for long ;) )
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Oct 2012, 04:17

Eye infection :(
Teeth hurt :(

Also Amazon has an utterly stupid new system to calculate seller 'scores'.

For every succesful sale you make with 0 problems, you get 1 point. Fair enough.

Recent sales are more valuable than past sales; hey what?

This is more beneficial for individuals who sell on a large scale as they're more likely to have a sustained about of sales per day. Thus will have a more consistant score.

Individual sellers; domestic sellers have a hard issue. They will have less stock. This means they have less of a previous reputation to rely on. You'd rather buy off a seller who has 100 feedbacks than a seller with 10 feedbacks. As a result the chances of a domestic seller to make a sale per day is less than a large seller.

With this effectively a "decay" on the value of a succesful sales and low probability to make a sale; the chances of the domestic seller to make a sale each day slowly decreases.

It does not stop here.

You get -1 score (which effectively is -2 as you're not gaining a +1 and infact losing a 1) if you refund an order. That's fine if you sold an item that the buyer was rightfully unhappy about.
But with me, it was a buyer who was very picky about the item they bought.
I listed a US copy of the Minish Cap and I didn't specify that it was a US copy (because later on I'll explain why it was irrelevent). A customer bought the game, but sent me a message before I shipped it asking:

"What region is it? Is it an EU copy?"

I replied "No, it's an US copy. But it runs perfectly well on EU systems."

He replies that he wasn't interested any more.

I offer a refund and he accepts. I cancel the order and that's that.

I get a -1 score for that. I get a -1 score because the customer was very picky. I did nothing wrong what so ever and yet I am punished for someone being difficult and I doing the right thing.

No refunds for anyone from now on. Amazon encourages that now.

Oh and Amazon basically adds the sum of your score and divides it by the maximum you possibley could have had and shove it against some % threshold for certain comments.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 Oct 2012, 09:46

This is getting stupid. I put in to have my loan increased over two months ago. I've been waiting to hear ANYTHING back from them. I've gone to the office multiple times and asked them about it. Each time they email the person who is supposed to handle it and nothing gets resolved.

And then today I get a fucking email warning that they're basically going to send a collection agency after me if I don't pay by the seventh of next month.

I've been waiting on YOU FUCKHEADS! I mean seriously? I've been trying to work with them. But it never freaking helps. It's not like I can afford the money right now. I still owe a solid $1,350 dollars. That's not money people like me can just get. I'm going in early to talk to the financial aid office. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll either have to take out a loan or see if my folks can help (both options being something I really, REALLY don't want to do).

These guys are fucking idiots and I'm tired of all the shit they put me through. I would consider transfering, but with being so close to getting my degrees (7 classes away from getting both of them) that's not something I want to do. Plus most other schools are more expensive anyways around here. :/ So they basically have me in a 'rock and a hard place' situation.

I really hope I get this job I've sent my resume for. That'd help a great deal.

Return to “General Discussion”