Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby ZePancakes » 11 Mar 2014, 03:06

Just their sheer lack of capacity (and the area's surrounds) for all of us. It's just like parking in the city during peak hours every, single day and it is beyond annoying.

They have a monopoly on the parking areas, you'll be stung for cash no matter what you do.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2014, 04:08

ZePancakes wrote:Just their sheer lack of capacity (and the area's surrounds) for all of us. It's just like parking in the city during peak hours every, single day and it is beyond annoying.

They have a monopoly on the parking areas, you'll be stung for cash no matter what you do.

This is SO a truism. :(

Back in the 90's I used to have to go to college for three classes, but I spent enough time for a full course-load of five - the other two were spent looking for a parking space, and then walking from that distant parking spot to my classes, and then after the day walking back to the 'hinterlands of the campus'.

Though it would have undercut my independence and freedom, my time probably would have been better served getting lifts to and from school...
empath

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2014, 11:43

Also, zyxst just discovered her bath towel was wet...

...because there's another leak in the bathroom ceiling. :(
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 11 Mar 2014, 15:11

So after trying to call the E.I department 15 times, I finally get a person. Who sends me back to the CRA.
So after trying that department 15 times (again), I finally get a person. Only to hear I have to try yet another department.
Luckily they pick up on the first ring. But now I have to wait a week to find out if they find my money or not. And in that time, I could be getting a daily call from the CRA.

The Canadian Government my friends. It can take them over 3 months to send you your own money. But miss their payment deadline by 24 hours, and they're calling you every night asking for their money.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 12 Mar 2014, 13:16

Why do I ever think I can art? I can see what the picture should look like in my head but my stupid hands just can't translate it to paper.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 Mar 2014, 13:58

So. Here I am sitting in 19th C. Novel. We're discussing the end of Jude the Obscure. Certainly not the most uplifting book, but it's an interesting lecture all the same. There are two - probably freshman - kids sitting in the back. Cuddling. He's got his arm around her, and occasionally the other one resting across the front of her body, and she keeps caressing his face. IN THE MIDDLE OF LECTURE. THERE ARE LIKE 40 PEOPLE IN THIS CLASS, GUYS. WE CAN SEE YOU, EVEN IF YOU'RE IN THE BACK. THIS ISN'T HIGH SCHOOL. STOP PAWING AT EACH OTHER. IT IS DISTRACTING, DISRESPECTFUL, AND GROSS.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Mar 2014, 14:43

Keab42 wrote:Why do I ever think I can art? I can see what the picture should look like in my head but my stupid hands just can't translate it to paper.

This is probably very unhelpful advice, but, try picturing the picture in a different way.

I love MC Escher's work, and I always wanted to do art work like his... just... I have flumsy fingers and things get smudged and dirty etc...
So now, I don't try to produce work like his, I find something else, and I found it. I appreciate MC escher work and use it for inspiration for mood/composition etc. But I don't try to do anything of that delicateness.

I know you can art. It's just you need to keep trying, or search for a different type of approach to making images. I went with finding something else, and prefered it a lot more to what I used to attempt to achieve.

Also bear in mind, you're young. You have no reason to magically discover your own style. You have your whole life to do that. I speak of this with regards to anyone on the Artistic Spectrum.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 12 Mar 2014, 20:24

Keab, I'm the same with guitar composition. I can always hear the solo I want to play, or a solo that I know would sound good, but my fingers don't go to it. What I have found rewarding is the joy of structured improvisation. Give yourself certain parameters for the work you want to do, and allow new meanings to occur to you in the moment. That way you're creating something new, and you free yourself (somewhat) from the judgement of trying to live up to a mythical 'perfect painting' you have in your head.

Improvising can be a very powerful tool. Create a piece of art that is what it is, and not something you're trying to make it.

It's not a perfect system, but it has helped me.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Mar 2014, 09:28

I hate public doors with handles on both sides.

Handles are used for pulling. Why the hell should I have to open a door by pushing forwards on the handle?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 Mar 2014, 10:00

Depends entirely on the handle and design of the door. Some do need that second handle.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Mar 2014, 12:01

The heavier/stiffer the door, the more annoying it is.
You don't know that it's not opening because of the idiotic choice of door handle (manipulating the wrong way) or if it's heavy/stiff.
Or even permalocked.
empath

Postby empath » 13 Mar 2014, 12:35

Look for the hinges: if they're on your side, pull; if they aren't, push.

Also, doors in public places are often required by law to open OUT, so keep that in mind, too.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 13 Mar 2014, 12:38

Really? We always push to get in to public places here. Push in, pull out. That way you don't clock someone with a door in the street.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 13 Mar 2014, 12:46

Well...there was a hotel fire ages ago (even when I was a kid, so...), and a lot of people died because they were crowding around the doors, but because they opened IN, and everyone was in a panic, they could get the doors to open, so a lotta people died.

And thus, there are regulations in the building code to account for that.

But yeah, watch the hinges - that's far more reliable.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 13 Mar 2014, 12:58

Empath is correct. According to modern fire codes (at least here in the US) doors of all public places must open in the direction of egress, so they push out. NFPA 101, Life Safety Code. Whether they push from the left or right is, however, non standardized.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 13 Mar 2014, 18:28

So that wet hair after shower giving you a cold? Yeah it's official. It's like people only phone when I'm in the shower and through the BIGGEST tantrum when I don't answer.

"WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME?! WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING?!"

I answered the phone in the shower this time with "I'm naked. What?" If they still talk after that, it's important enough to interrupt the shower. It was actually very important, there was no hesitation in talking so I continued the call. But it did leave me sneezing all night and hating being alive right now.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 14 Mar 2014, 16:03

Just spent a few hours editing ~3000 words of a very technical document.

The wrong 3000 words.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Mar 2014, 20:32

It's half four in the morning. I've spent the last 6 hours correcting the CAD for a design for hand-in tomorrow. It falls to me because members of my group are apparently fucking incompetent retards.

Eurgh. I'm going to have to get some sleep by tomorrow if I want to avoid going ape shit at them.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 15 Mar 2014, 21:53

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:It's half four in the morning. I've spent the last 6 hours correcting the CAD for a design for hand-in tomorrow. It falls to me because members of my group are apparently fucking incompetent retards.

Eurgh. I'm going to have to get some sleep by tomorrow if I want to avoid going ape shit at them.

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Mar 2014, 02:16

To be honest, they're actually a really good bunch- it's just that they can't use our CAD program well enough and haven't quite been able to take into account the big picture meaning they've left a few things out. Trouble is, I came up with the design and am the only one with an overall view of the thing, meaning the rest of em straight up don't realise that they've made a casing too small for what it's got to contain.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Mar 2014, 03:38

I never liked team projects.

I either want to do everything myself or I feel ignored and shoved out of the way by my group.

When I was 7 or so, my school year was given a task of designing a "Anti Racism in Football" poster and we were split into groups. The group I was in completely ignored all suggestions I offered. They wanted two hands reaching across and I suggested drawing the hands by hand. But they wanted instead to trace around two hands. This looked completely weird and very flat.

Our group's design was the best of the school so we were entered into a competition. I refused to attend the competition due to the fact I could have been dead and the outcome would have been identical. I wasn't in the team, they shoved me out.

I understand that with that project, it would have been impossible to incorporated everyone's input. However, they could have at least acknowledged my existence and considered my suggestions instead of effectively going FUCK YOU in the way 7 year olds do. I also understand that they were children and thus they are stupid and blind to things like other people's emotions. I digress. I was aware of other people
s feelings at that age, so WHY COULDN'T THEY?

And that's even if people want you in their group.

The problem of growing up in school as "the kid which wasn't bullied, but... no one was actually friends with" was that when there were tasks where you must be put into pairs and there's an odd number of children in your group, you will be the one left out and alone. Even if it's groups of more than two, your "partner" will jump ship to join the group where their mate is to make a 3 next lesson. It's made especially worse if you used to have a best friend who then moved "far away" (basically more than 10 miles away). Which really shoves salt in that heart wound.

Children are the masters of being ignorant arse holes.

Maybe this is why I get so worked up when I feel like a group of people who I thought were my friends ignore me.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 16 Mar 2014, 05:45

Ahh yes, I know all those feels.

When it came to CAD/design projects I usually just told everyone: Screw you, I'll be the one correcting it in the end ANYWAY, so better to just let me do it. They'd often not agree, try to shove me out the group, then have to agree later that, yeah, maybe I WAS so much better at CAD I should have been doing the work in the first place.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 16 Mar 2014, 15:49

I'm 26 and got my Masters in Mechanical Engineering last year after a total of 6 years of college and something like 250k in loans. Since then I have applied for enough jobs that I no longer have a count running. Atleast 70% of them were looking for someone with 2 years experience or less, and I have got approximately 0 replies.

Because of this I have to live at home and work that one part time job that I wasn't told I was over qualified for. This job is with some of the worst people I have ever fucking met in my life. Recently, since I am the only male working in the department, my responsibilities shifted to more physical labor. Same hours, same pay so whatever. However, my boss seems to think that it is incredibly fucking fair to have me put of my work and spend the day helping her with hers. Then when it's already 30 minutes past normal quitting time she sends me to do all of my work, with no help. When I get back back she has the nerve to tell me I "need to move my ass faster". I was so pissed I almost went ballistic right there (and I never lose my temper, never raise my voice when I am angry), but I need the money so I held my tongue.

To top it all off ancient car's transmition is leaking and will very soon go to shit. So I need to find a replacement that isn't also shit and is affordable soon.

It's just so fucking stressful and frustrating and depressing that I want to just lay in bed for a long time and break something at the same time. But I won't because that's not me, I'm going to force myself to stay optimistic and cheerful and just keep pushing on.

FUCK EVERYTHING GAAHHHHH

I feel a bit better now
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Mar 2014, 16:08

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I was aware of other peoples feelings at that age, so WHY COULDN'T THEY?

People are just like that, and to one degree or another neither you nor I nor anyone else is exempt from that principle. Accepting that did so, so many good for my state of mind.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 16 Mar 2014, 17:03

hands cracking from being in soap, water and sanitizer all day. Get home and find out it my arm is reacting to something as well. Apply copious moisturizer as I normally do, and . . .
Burning! Fire!! Burning!

Sometimes being a chef sucks.

Also, I can't cut a 3 layer carrot cake this week without it looking like shit apparently.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Return to “General Discussion”