Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5981
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby King Kool » 20 Aug 2015, 19:40

I don't normally do this, but I will put this inside a collapse take as a trigger warning for sexual assault.

Click to Expand
The New York Post's cover story was about Jared from Subway and his recent scandal. "Enjoy A Foot Long In Jail!"

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Because American prison systems have a reputation of prisoners assaulting physically weaker prisoners, a system the public seems to think is some kind of de facto punishment that's not cruel and unusual at all. And because prisoners are the closest thing America has to an untouchable class, nobody gives a damn because they 'deserve' it. Apparently nothing will slake our lust for punishing the guilty with everything we can imagine, in perpetuity and without proportion.

This is not a defense of Jared at all. He will surely live the rest of his life in ignominy, and that's probably better than he deserves. And yeah, the New York Post is a worthless rag, but it's a red-letter day when I am in complete agreement with Salon:

Link is invisible because of collapse tag below:
http://www.salon.com/2015/08/20/stop_the_jared_fogle_footlong_jokes_why_do_we_still_find_prison_rape_acceptable_let_alone_funny/
Link is invisible because of collapse tag above:

Shame on every single person that laughed at that headline.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Aug 2015, 21:16

Click to Expand
Part of it is the old "eye for an eye" mentality. He assaulted others, therefore he should be assaulted. Not saying that's right, but just saying that's what the mentality is.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Aug 2015, 02:17

Click to Expand
People think Prison Rape is funny. People think Prison is a punishment, when really it's how you deal with people; keep dangerous people away from the public, help "wronguns" redeem themselves and help them. Of course it's easy to think Prison is punishment, because humans by nature are flawed dicks. It takes effort to not be a dick.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Kapol » 22 Aug 2015, 20:52

Want to vent about my experience working at a local convention. Don't want to complain and make it seem bad, when most of what happened and went wrong wasn't under the control of the con (which got screwed over by the building we were using), and only a couple miscommunication issues to begin with.

Basically, two medium tables (can get 6 players at with some fitting, or get one tight draft in) aren't enough to run a bunch of drafts. It makes me look and feel bad when we have issues getting people around for a draft because people didn't write down contact information, or because we have to wait an hour to fire off a pod because we don't have space for another 8 players.
User avatar
betsytheripper
Posts: 251
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 21:49
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP
Location: Fields and Cows and Fields

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby betsytheripper » 23 Aug 2015, 16:11

First I want to get this out of the way.

Click to Expand
FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!


Okay. So. I took my car to the shop last week. 3 weeks ago I was quoted $149 to diagnose, and then $360 parts and labor to fix the in-tank pump. Okay. I needed a tow, $60, alright, stingy, but alright. Turns out the in-line pump is also shot, needs to be replaced. Total comes out to $1100. Ek-fucking-scuse me? The in-line pump was $290 fucking dollars, and I got charged for 4 hours (at $90/hr) for labor. How the fucking hell did you use those four hours? Where the fuck did they come from? Did you spend 3 hours with your thumb in your ass?

I'm already not happy, but what the fuck ever, I'll go on a payment plan. I got my car back Friday, running great, purring smoother than it has in years, and I go wash it and vacuum it and I'm feeling good. Didn't go anywhere yesterday.

Get in the car today to run errands and GUESS WHAT? IT DOESN'T START. It doesn't even fucking try to turn over. I check every battery connection, and everything looks fine, nothing has changed since last week (that I can tell visually). I try to get a jump from a neighbor, and nothing, not even after running her car for several minutes with mine hooked up. I can't check the connections to the starter because it's not accessible from the top of the engine and I can't get under my car. My car even has a little starter test port, built in, that bypasses a bunch of locks, and using that it still doesn't start. So I guess 1) my starter is either a) magically unhooked or b) magically dead or 2) the battery connections have magically degraded since Friday. I picked this up from the shop two days ago.

I am not beyond thinking he either purposefully didn't tell me he noticed a problem or fucking caused it himself. I am beyond mad. I am livid. I am so angry I've been crying off and on all day, uncontrollably.

A THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS AND THIS IS WHAT I FUCKING GET? A CAR THAT STILL DOESN'T FUCKING WORK?

FUCK.
-betsy
User avatar
Phailhammer
Posts: 3235
Joined: 14 Nov 2010, 05:15
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)
Location: Hazelbrook, NSW, Australia

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Phailhammer » 23 Aug 2015, 18:03

I know the feeling. I had the same thing happen to my old car. Turn they key, nothing.

It could be what happened to that car; the brushes in the starter motor got stuck/wore down. The NRMA Roadside Assist guy jabbed it with a metal pole a few times, then got me to try it.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
User avatar
betsytheripper
Posts: 251
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 21:49
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP
Location: Fields and Cows and Fields

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby betsytheripper » 23 Aug 2015, 18:40

I really wish I could just thump it, but it's in such a spot that I can't even do that from the topside. It is directly underneath the cast iron fuel injection system. If I had access to a jack and blocks, I could even replace the damn thing myself, but I live in an apartment complex and don't know anybody in town. Gah. I'm just so pissed off.
-betsy
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Aug 2015, 04:50

Well, bugger. One of my budgies I had for 5 years died today (Run).

Deceased:
Ready
Ready 2.0
Run
Green

Alive:
Loading
White
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
viscomica
Posts: 3346
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 17:01
First Video: SPRING!
Location: Ministry of Magic

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby viscomica » 27 Aug 2015, 06:50

I think I have the flue.
Like, my nose is runny and I wanna sleep badly. I'll pull through, but it's annoying.
User avatar
MinniChi
Posts: 868
Joined: 15 Oct 2012, 18:46
First Video: Your Very Own Prom
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby MinniChi » 28 Aug 2015, 13:20

Baby tried to cut off his finger apparently. He is actually fine (just a really bad cut on the tip of his finger). The cut worried me. The venting is because he screamed like I was trying to kill him while I was in fact trying to put on a bandage (gauze and medical tape).

Also venting because regular bandaid don't fit baby fingers.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
User avatar
kiwijelly
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 Jun 2015, 14:23
First Video: Probably an Unskippable

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby kiwijelly » 01 Sep 2015, 11:52

I just worked on a commission (my first) for over a month, during which the client gave me no feedback despite me sending her regular updates. She finally got back to me last week and said she'd send me the info before our meeting on Friday. Friday morning she texted me that she couldn't make it, and could we meet today instead. She also said she'd send me the feedback over the weekend. Today rolled around, still no feedback. She called, said can we meet somewhere else a half an hour away from our original spot. She was 15 minutes late. When she got there she told me to change everything to the point that I would have been starting from scratch. It seems the visual and descriptive information she gave me at the beginning was just in the ballpark of what she wanted rather than what she actually had in mind. I quit (politely) and waved my fee.
2stepz
Posts: 2519
Joined: 26 May 2008, 17:14
First Video: .

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby 2stepz » 01 Sep 2015, 16:46

In the first three weeks of school, our students have experienced:
(arrest of suspect wrt) Sexual assault of a student by a faculty member
death of a elementary student after 6 years of fighting brain cancer
student attempted suicide (actually very rare here...)
All of this in a district of under 400 students.
Hoping things really do happen in threes and we're done.


on a personal note:
Landlady is in negotiations to sell the house I live in. The house I wanted to buy sold while I was waiting on a repair estimate. I'll be out on my butt in approx 60 days. Which correlates approximately with mid-term and parent-teacher conferences.

UGGGGH!
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Sep 2015, 03:32

When you watch a new Youtube video series by a Youtuber you never watched before and you feel like you have watched them before because they conform to EVERY STEREOTYPE APPLIED TO YOUTUBERS.

If you have an English accent -> Be Tomska
If you have American accent -> Be Californian

and you feel like screaming FUCK OFF at your screen before realising you have the close button.
User avatar
Jeezy
Posts: 29
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 01:35
First Video: 4ps4s

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Jeezy » 02 Sep 2015, 12:00

Haven't been able to connect to Steam for 12 hours. I rigorously followed their list of things to try to no avail. On the bright side, it looks like several people are also having problems today, but it still sucks. I'd just started a new game of Dark Souls yesterday!

I jus wana play gaem.
User avatar
betsytheripper
Posts: 251
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 21:49
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP
Location: Fields and Cows and Fields

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby betsytheripper » 02 Sep 2015, 12:21

I hate moving. My nails are all broken and damaged, I still have 18 or so boxes to unpack, I haven't slept well in nearly a week, the internet I scheduled to have turned on yesterday is requiring a tech to come out today, it's kicked up allergens to the point that my entire face itches, I have no money to buy food, my car is still dead and stuck on the other side of town, and I got really shitty news about 20 minutes before my mom showed up to help on moving day 1 that has put me into basically a permanent panic attack. My cats are still freaked out by every little noise, and I'm so goddamn exhausted and I still have so much to do, like changing my address for every company ever, sign up for orientations, harangue financial aid, get my car moved/fixed, the list goes on. Sometimes I feel like life is coming together and then I remember that I'm poor and poor people don't get to have a peaceful life. Instead I get to worry about money until I'm ill every single day.
-betsy
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 Sep 2015, 01:46

I am rather annoyed at how slowly and awkwardly UK banks and estate agents operate.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
RedHelveticaCake
Posts: 43
Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 20:47
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 03 Sep 2015, 18:44

My coworker is a troll, and he thinks he's funny. I can't get him to stop. This is a thing that happened on a mutual acquaintance's FB. I'm the green one.

Part 1
Part 2

Edit: I think I fixed the links this time.
Last edited by RedHelveticaCake on 03 Sep 2015, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby korvys » 03 Sep 2015, 19:40

Those links aren't working for me, Cake.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Sep 2015, 14:16

Great British Bake Off got spoiled for me when I browsed Twitter. I didn't even do it when the episode aired.
Just it was after the after-show was aired... and I had no idea when that aired.

Grumble.
User avatar
Phailhammer
Posts: 3235
Joined: 14 Nov 2010, 05:15
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)
Location: Hazelbrook, NSW, Australia

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Phailhammer » 04 Sep 2015, 23:28

I fucking knew it. Boss just called, asking where I was. I'm off tonight.
"Did you write it on the calendar?"
"Uh, no, I didn't. I forgot."
"People don't write things on the calendar, I forget."

First, how bad is your memory? I told you *and* sent you a message last weekend.
Second, did you not check your messages when it seemed I was running late?
Third, even when I *do* write it on the calendar, you still call me half the time.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
User avatar
MinniChi
Posts: 868
Joined: 15 Oct 2012, 18:46
First Video: Your Very Own Prom
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby MinniChi » 06 Sep 2015, 19:38

Does no one in the City of Toronto want discount AC/DC tickets? I've had this ad up for over a week now. Concert is this Thursday. Why can't these sell?

Also, I wish I could go. Why must I work the evening shift!?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Kapol » 07 Sep 2015, 23:01

I feel like I've vented about this already, but it's still bothering me. Kim Davis broke the law. She broke the law. She broke the fucking law. It infuriates me when people act like she shouldn't be in jail for breaking the law. It's not about her religion being 'oppressed.' She actively, knowingly, and willing broke the law. She should be in jail for it.

It's not like she was just grabbed off the street for her beliefs. She had another option. She could have resigned her position if she didn't agree with doing the job. She had a choice. Quit her job, do her job, or go to jail. She chose to go to jail. It was her decision.

The worst part is that she can't just be fired for not doing her job. That'd make this all way too easy. She's an elected official and state-laws make just being fired impossible. Impeachment is, but it takes a long time. The entire thing is a circus of stupidity. And I just want to stop seeing her name every time I check facebook.

This whole thing reminds me of something from when Graham played Deus Ex: Human Revolution. "We can't stop change, but we can make it slow and shitty for everyone involved." That's absolutely what's happening here.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Sep 2015, 06:25

I totally agree. While I'm nominally "on her side" in some ways, I agree with her jailing. It was the right thing to do, by law. Whether the laws are right in themselves, people can argue that until they're blue in the face, but unless the laws are changed, you get jailed for breaking them. I agree she should have resigned. And I also know that her one "out" isn't even an "out" in this case. The Bible says that Christians should follow the laws of God, not the laws of man. If she believes she's following God's law by doing what she did, then I can respect just that much. However, it doesn't say anywhere in the Bible that anyone is immune from the consequences of the laws of man.

I too am sick of hearing about her on Facebook. Image
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Sep 2015, 07:19

I have opinions on the situation, but this thread isn't the place to air mine.
If you follow Tally on Twitter you can see a summery of my opinion on the matter.
And if you follow the Gay thread you know my opinions on what people dragged into the situation.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Kapol » 08 Sep 2015, 11:31

It's likely not my place to vent about it, and I'm sure I'm not the first person on this forum to talk about the whole thing. My problem is less "seeing her on Facebook is annoying" and more the fact that every time I see it, I get upset that this whole thing still has to be an issue. The righteous indignation some people have that she was put in jail just makes me angry. And I worry that her getting so much positive attention will encourage others to start doing the same.

And every time I see something new about her, I remember the fact that she's likely not going to get any long-term punishment out of this. If anything, this is good for her. She's been released from jail already. She's getting a lot of notoriety. And the worst part, in my opinion? She's likely going to get to keep her job. The one she refused to do. At the very least, she is in the short-term.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests