Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 May 2016, 16:06

Currently, not sure who it is, possibility it's a LRR fan, but I want to slit their throat from ear to ear. This is my big brother mentality kicking in. I am actually physically shaking with anger and it has been a years since that has happened.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7223
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Jun 2016, 08:04

I'm studying an online TEFL course (Teach English as a Foreign Language) and for the last quarter of the year been chewing through the Grammar modules.

I had been writing out notes from the site and then word processed them for clarity.

Well, turns out all the notes were available for download from a hyperlink that was cunningly hidden beneath the "Final Quiz" hyperlink.

So, I have wasted a lot of time?

I also need to print out a 64 page document. Sigh.

I can now finally move on and know where to find other cunningly hidden documents are.
CamelKnackRambleHort
Posts: 127
Joined: 03 Apr 2015, 21:24
First Video: Cursing

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby CamelKnackRambleHort » 01 Jun 2016, 08:33

I wouldn't say it is a waste. In my experience nothing gets information sticking in the head like preparing a well organized study guide.
She/her please
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Jun 2016, 06:53

I fucked up remote observing due my own laziness.

The forecast and weather data look poor at sunset so we decided to abandon the observations then rather than waiting a couple hours to see if conditions improved. I have to admit this was partially motivated by myself wanting to go back to sleep - I am in the UK and telescope is in Australia so I was making this decision early in my morning.

This isn't that bad as we had already observed all our high priority targets on the two previous nights. We only likely lost two or three hours of 2 m telescope time - it is not like we wasted a night of 10 m telescope time which can be worth 100 000 a night.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Jun 2016, 08:43

And in the typical routine, when I get really angry, I get worried. Now my stomach is gone, it's very trembly and I can't really eat much. Didn't realise until I checked that this was anxiety. At least that's allowing me to lose weight.
Last time I had this I ate barely anything for a week.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Dutch guy
Posts: 5198
Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 17:12
First Video: History of Halo
Location: Southern Dutch Colonies

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Dutch guy » 04 Jun 2016, 12:19

Elomin Sha wrote:And in the typical routine, when I get really angry, I get worried. Now my stomach is gone, it's very trembly and I can't really eat much. Didn't realise until I checked that this was anxiety. At least that's allowing me to lose weight.
Last time I had this I ate barely anything for a week.


I know you probably realise this, but that is NOT a healthy way to lose weight. Please think of your own well-being and get some food in you!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Jun 2016, 12:39

Oh I am eating. Don't worry. My portions are just small because my stomach gets upset, and I end up pooing it back out.
I don't get this anxiety issue unless it is something major.
I had it early last year, three christmas' ago and five years ago; all incidents were serious and lasted a week. I have at least four to three days left of this.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Jamfalcon
Posts: 3324
Joined: 08 Aug 2011, 13:59
First Video: Killer Instinct
Location: Somewhat nearish Vancouver. Kind of.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Jamfalcon » 04 Jun 2016, 13:31

I've gone through something that sounds basically the same a couple of times Elomin (LRRcon, despite how much fun I had, was basically the worst case... I barely ate all weekend). Obviously if you've already talked to a doctor and have any kind of solution ignore me, but what mine suggested was just strong antacids (for me, it's the strongest kind available without a prescription). About an hour after taking them, I did find my stomach eased up enough that I could at least eat a small meal and keep it down.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Image
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Jun 2016, 13:54

Mine are emotional based due to events regarding a persom I care about. I'm really good at keeping calm and stoic. So this is rare happenings.
Now excuse me, I must endulge in my coping mechanism of punching a baby badger. I will destroy you tuberculocis.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7340
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jun 2016, 21:53

I work in video game tech support. After an email chain where I proceeded to deny a claim due to policy and lack of evidence, I was rewarded with a long, ALLCAPS email that ended with "I WANT TO SPEAK WITH A WHITE EMPLOYEE."

1. That's racist.
2. You already freaking were!
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
betsytheripper
Posts: 251
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 21:49
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP
Location: Fields and Cows and Fields

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby betsytheripper » 13 Jun 2016, 19:50

I am extremely tired. Because the housing situation in the Bay Area is a clusterfuck only bypassed by the rich and desperate, I'm having to commute 90 miles each way to my summer job. And due to first week training scheduling (and idiotic government training material and FUCKING USELESS HR people), I can't go in super early or other "off" times or switch to 4-10's, so I sat in traffic for almost four hours today. I am angry and tired and already hate a job I haven't even actually started.

And then I vent my frustration over not caring about E3 on twitter (because E3 is literally the only thing on all of my internet feeds right now) and my sister fucking subtweets me about not being "salty" and "letting people enjoy things en masse".

You know what? Fuck you. I can be upset that the things I'm trying to use to wind down after a shitty day are making me more fucking upset. If it were literally any other person they'd be unfollowed and blocked.

FUCK AND NOW I'M CRYING BECAUSE I'M SO TIRED AND FRUSTRATED AND MY EYELINER IS GETTING IN MY EYES AND BURNING FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

addendum: I rinsed my eyes and subtweeted about letting people vent and it makes me wonder if my mom will notice her daughters are subtweeting at each other and what she would think if she did notice. Anyway.
-betsy
User avatar
MinniChi
Posts: 868
Joined: 15 Oct 2012, 18:46
First Video: Your Very Own Prom
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby MinniChi » 15 Jun 2016, 17:05

So my 6 year old is in soccer. Nothing fancy, just pay X amount of dollars and your kid can play kind of thing. Tonight they had a game which lasted just shy of 1 hour. My husband comes home after the game and tells me that my son got to play all of 12 minutes of the damn game. Of 11 players. 6 on the field, 5 off. At no point should my son only be playing 12 minutes. If it happens again I hope my husband talks to her about it. At 6 years old, they should all be playing equally. They're not playing to win. They're just running around so parents feel their kids are being active.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7340
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jun 2016, 05:38

So someone at work stole my watch. :evil:

I had an 8-hour day of trying work, dealing with a bunch of scammers, hackers, and idiots.

I'm running out of money and food.

And then I lose the LoadingReadyLeague due to variance rather than skill.

And then today someone started posting spam on my Twitter through a permission given to a FaceBook app that became dodgy in the years since I added it (and forgot about it). :evil: (I cleaned out all the apps I don't actively use anymore.)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Kapol » 01 Jul 2016, 20:43

So a spoiler vent. I was sitting at FNM, playing Magic. I'm playing my game. I hear someone say, very loudly, a spoiler for something from Game Of Thrones that I haven't seen. I'm not sure when it happened, or how late it is. Maybe someone can tell me just how recent the spoiler is. But the person said something like (GoT Spoiler) (it sounded like speaking of joining the Night's Watch or something) It didn't work out too well for Hodor, since he died.

This really bothered me. Someone said something jokingly. But I spoke up and said I had actually not known that, and it bothered me. And I got crap for that. Someone said 'well that happened, like, four seasons ago.' And someone corrected them it was more like four episodes ago. Either way, they acted like because it didn't happen -this week-, it wasn't a bit deal to spoil it for other people.

This really bothers me. I'm at season 3 for the TV show, and about to start book 3 for the books. I generally wait until it's out on DVD before watching a show. So the fact that it was spoiled for me actually bothered me quite a bit. And I've had quite a few details spoiled on Facebook. To the point I'm about to say 'if you spoil anything for me, I will defriend you' and follow through.

But am I just in the wrong here? I don't feel like it... but people who are wrong don't often feel like they are.
User avatar
Jamfalcon
Posts: 3324
Joined: 08 Aug 2011, 13:59
First Video: Killer Instinct
Location: Somewhat nearish Vancouver. Kind of.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Jamfalcon » 02 Jul 2016, 09:03

That spoiler was probably about four episodes back in this most recent season, yeah. And you're definitely in the right to be upset. Some people will say it's just a TV show and you shouldn't care, but it's more about respecting the people around when you say something like that. Like, I never talk spoilers on social media, and in person I'll always make sure everyone else it caught up before saying anything. It's not that hard. And a place like FNM is bound to have lots of fans of the show, so that's just rude.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Image
User avatar
Omega Lairon
Posts: 286
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 20:22
First Video: Fun with Microwaves
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Omega Lairon » 02 Jul 2016, 10:24

It's a tricky one... 4 weeks/episodes of a currently running and exceptionally popular show like GoT, I feel, falls right into that grey area for spoilers. It's not outside the realm of probability to assume that most people who really care about spoilers would be caught up *at least* that long. At the very least, there are many options for fans of the show to get caught up that far if they miss it live. Of course, it doesn't make it right to make that assumption and just openly talk spoilers, but I can definitely see a case being made for it being an innocent, non-malicious "I reasonably expected you'd have known about it" situation.

The other thing to consider is that, unless you had made your position regarding spoilers clear to this person previously, there's no possible way they could have known how much it would affect your enjoyment of the show. Again, to clarify, not defending this person's actions in the slightest, I just think it's a little harsh to judge them based on a subjective response from yourself that they would not have been able to easily predict. By all means, judge them on several other factors of their behaviour (which I'll get to in just a sec), but how you might react is not one of them.

BUT! To get to the meat of the issue... talking spoilers that loudly in a public setting is a pretty huge dick move anyway. This person absolutely should have thought better of it, but didn't. Presumably they thought it was a funny reference to bring up at the time, and without really stopping to consider the spoiler aspect, wanted to let a bunch of people hear it (which in itself is a bit of a social mis-step... personally I dislike people talking unnecessarily loudly during FNM and similar events - it messes with my concentration. But that's a whole separate issue, really.).

TL;DR - it's a dick move, but one from a place of thoughtlessness and making reasonably but incorrect assumptions rather than malice.
Image

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Kapol » 02 Jul 2016, 11:31

To be fair, I didn't have as much of a problem with the person who actually spoiled it. They weren't there for FNM, and it seemed more like they thought of it like they were just hanging with friends. I mostly mentioned that I hadn't seen it and was actually a spoiler for me, after someone jokingly brought it up. It wasn't meant to be done in anger. But more as reminder that it's a relatively public setting where people aren't all going to be caught up. I know the person I was playing was also annoyed to have the detail spoiled for them. So it hadn't just been me. And they even seemed to be a bigger fan of the series than I am.

The real venting was more towards the people who treated it like it wasn't a problem at all. Because I really do have a problem with spoilers in a public setting like that. I understand that mistakes happen. The person who did the spoiler apologized pretty quickly when they realized how loud they had been and it was obviously a mistake. But spoilers can range from really frustrating if it's a major detail to a minor annoyance. For me, this was latter. But I'm not everyone. So when people acted like it was perfectly fine thing to do... well, I found it frustrating.

It's not outside the realm of probability to assume that most people who really care about spoilers would be caught up *at least* that long. At the very least, there are many options for fans of the show to get caught up that far if they miss it live.


I think that is what they assumed. And, in my opinion, that's a bad assumption. For this specifically, Game of Thrones is a series you can only really keep up with if you pay for HBO services (which aren't cheap) or pirate. At least that's the case as far as I'm aware. I know there are people who wait until the end of the season to binge watch it to only pay for a month of HBO. I personally wait until seasons are released on DVD for TV shows in general. And I don't think it's fair to assume it's fine to spoil something just because those people don't keep up with the show live. And if I'm not mistaken, the current season is past where the books are. So the people who prefer to read the series are going to be waiting who knows how long.

I'm not trying to say that's what you think, and I know that opinion isn't born out of malice. But I know there are people who think that. And that attitude bothers me. It goes beyond GoT as well. We live in an era where people are cable-cutting and binge-watching shows more and more often. And there are a lot of people who wait until shows and movies are on streaming services before watching them. So the attitude that it's not as big of an issue to potentially spoil something because 'if you really cared, you'd be caught up' doesn't sit well with me.

Then again, I'm the overly cautious type in the first place. I don't even like saying things that can hint at a spoiler. Because I know I've caught a few of those kind of hints myself and been able to figure things out fairly easily.
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Jul 2016, 13:03

Being sick is quite frustrating.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7223
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Jul 2016, 13:04

Boring when the expected team to win wins.
User avatar
betsytheripper
Posts: 251
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 21:49
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP
Location: Fields and Cows and Fields

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby betsytheripper » 08 Jul 2016, 13:01

I just want to catch Pokemon on my phone. The horrible botch of this launch is so frustrating and disappointing.
-betsy
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jul 2016, 14:16

I've been trying to dye some wool for my reenactment tunic. Thus far, all I've got as a result is two metres of blotchy blue wool that I can't use, at a cost of three weeks of trying and around £70. I'll need to drop another £50 to just have another crack at the wool, never mind actually making the tunic.

Thankfully my mum's managed to partially rescue the wool (apparently machine dye doesn't totally suck on wool), but it's still too dark. And I'm SO goddamn frustrated- timescales now mean I can't get this done in time for a show I've been trying to pull all the stops out for. It might seem petty, but I just feel like I've been trying for absolute jack.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7223
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Jul 2016, 13:52

Spoke to my mum about my discontent about my work.

Got a mixture of "we'll support you getting home" and "I've had worse jobs than you" (true, we both had an emotionally abusive colleague [a non-paid former job], so you win) and "you can't expect to be paid to sit down doing art and playing the violin".

I feel like I cannot explain to my mum, my feelings. It's hard when she shoots you down before you finish. She may have good mum advice but there's a lot of emotion there, and I am unable to express emotion because she'll slap it out of me. I've never felt allowed to express anger when around my mum because I have not earned the right to be angry or something.

This is why I confine my issues with not my parents. This is not good. I should not exclude my parents from my worries and concerns, but my mum encourages this through her unobjective emotional reactions.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7340
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Jul 2016, 20:38

So...

A person in Baltimore was shot and killed.
There was a candlelight vigil held tonight in memory.
Someone went to the vigil and shot 5 people.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
cuddlyblade
Posts: 431
Joined: 06 Jan 2013, 19:32
First Video: reduce your footprint
Location: Ireland

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby cuddlyblade » 12 Jul 2016, 17:50

It has certainly been a long time since I have used this thread. My sister is getting married later this month. Her fiance's family are fucking awful and are making things as difficult for them as is humanly possible. With out going into detail just imagine that every possibly shitty thing it would be possibly for them to do to make things difficult they are doing. I have no doubt that they are going to try and do something to mess up the day. Only upside is after the wedding I never have to see or speak to them ever again.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7223
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jul 2016, 11:12

Retail Rant

When a customer dumps a basket of shopping on your conveyor belt and they don't unpack it; they expect you to take the things out to scan them.
Miss Fake Tan Too Much Make Up Is Too Good To Unpack Her Shopping Like The People Who Are Over Sixty Years Older Than Her.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests