PAX Australia

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Re: PAX Australia

Postby phlip » 20 Jul 2013, 20:11

Oh, bonus. The rain on Saturday must've gotten into my bag, where I had a couple Magic decks. Most of the cards are ok, though I am now the owner of a rather water-damaged Garruk Relentless...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 20 Jul 2013, 20:38

Wince. I'm sorry to hear about the cards. That said: I think you're being overall unfair to the con.

Much like Chris, I found myself constantly doing stuff. Yesterday I wound up playing Fiasco, taking photos of cosplayers, playing a tonne of Johann Sebastian Joust... y'know, all the stuff. I had a blast. Today, I've played a game of Alhambra, another of Wits and Wagers, met Jerry, and am about to go into a Library panel. So, y'know: Stuff.

I do think they need larger panel theatres. They also need to shift the time zone to summer. But that's the two big improvements needed.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Jul 2013, 05:42

If they are going have at the Showgrounds again they need to run the trains all day and not just in the mornings and the evenings. The one tram line can not keep up with the crowds.

Also having a semi outdoor event in Melbourne in winter is a poor idea. Admittedly it can rain here any time of year but it usually only this cold in winter.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 21 Jul 2013, 13:11

Also! My triumph: I completed my Pinny Arcade set AT THE DEATH. In the lineup to the finale, met Mike and traded for a samurai. Boom!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 21 Jul 2013, 19:12

Did anyone get James his pins?
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 21 Jul 2013, 20:49

I did. :)
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 21 Jul 2013, 22:29

You earn his brownie points. Only usable in participating James outlets.*

*Irredeemable in the Continental US and Quebec
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 22 Jul 2013, 15:25

Apologies for missing the meetup everyone, I completely forgot until it was too late and I was signed up for stuff. It was good to see you Duckay, JackSlack and Chrusher. Honestly, I liked PAX. I didn't really have a problem with the weather other than the downpour on Saturday but it's Melbourne, it'll happen at any time. The problems that were around are obvious enough that they may be able to be solved next year. the biggest for me was the size of panel halls. I was told by an Enforcer to start lining up for the Gearbox panel at noon. I showed up at 12:5 and told that I wouldn't be able to get in. Noon was an hour and a half before the panel.

I was able to get in to the Rooster Teeth panel and the Magic panel. That line wasn't too big but then, we got in line to enter the convention at 8:30.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Jul 2013, 15:49

I enjoyed PAX on the whole, but if I'd tried to do any more panels I think I would have gone insane. Mostly I had a good time loitering around the tabletop area playing games with both friends and strangers.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Jul 2013, 15:52

Yeah, they definitely need a larger place for 2014... and it's happening.

Note they say "in Melbourne".

So, it's the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, then. Because that's basically the only larger venue in the city that I'm aware of.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 22 Jul 2013, 16:09

I've gone to East for 4 years now, and in my experience, if you're going to PAX and focusing on the panels/expo floor, you're not going to have the best time.

I think a lot of people forget that the point of PAX is to play games. Play games you've never played, play games you've played before, but above all, play games with other people.

That should be the focus of time at PAX. The Expo floor is always crowded and noisy and confusing, the good panels always have insane lines, and the bad panels are... well, usually disappointing. The great part of PAX is playing games, especially games it'd be hard to play anywhere else, like Joust and Fiasco.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Jul 2013, 17:20

The best memory I have of PAX Aus was playing Wits and Wagers with some friends, and then grabbing some random folk to play with us. Awesome stuff.

Also, yeah, if you didn't play JS Joust... WHY NOT?!?

Oh yeah, photos, right?

To be honest, the most disappointing thing about PAX Aus to me was the LRR meetup. Only five folks? We gotta improve next year, guys.
Ergo
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Ergo » 24 Jul 2013, 02:54

Lord Chrusher wrote:I saw philip and a couple other people whose forum names escape me after the Child's Play panel.
It was all too brief but nice to say hello nonetheless! Next year I'll try to remember to keep an eye on what's going on LRR-wise in the build-up; see if I can make it to the LRR meet-up proper. It hadn't occurred to me until I saw your tweet during the Child's Play panel wrap-up.

PAX was a little different from what I'd expected; overall a very positive experience though. Looking forward to next year, with adjusted expectations and a (presumably) improved event...

AlexanderDitto wrote:I think a lot of people forget that the point of PAX is to play games. Play games you've never played, play games you've played before, but above all, play games with other people.
I came to this realisation towards the end of the 1st day (I had a 3 day pass). Furthermore I went to PAX thinking entirely about video games, yet my fondest memories by far were made playing board & card games I'd never heard of with people I'd never met before.

Also J.S. Joust was hilarious both to watch and play. Need to buy some Move controllers... And a bigger house...
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Jul 2013, 07:05

I feel bad that I didn't push myself to play more games when I was at PAX.
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 24 Jul 2013, 07:59

Lord Chrusher wrote:I feel bad that I didn't push myself to play more games when I was at PAX.

You played my piece of shit so don't feel too bad..... at least I feel good :)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 24 Jul 2013, 14:50

I accidentally left my PAX Australia scarf on the train. :( I feel awful now.
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 25 Jul 2013, 03:05

I lost a single one of my Gen IV pokemon gym badges.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 04 Aug 2013, 14:24

As an aside, No-Award.net did a writeup on PAX Australia with regards to gender and accessibility. It scored favourably, with points off for the whole booth babes thing* and some accessibility concerns for the Expo Hall, both of which I feel are fairly valid.

* I'm still eyebrow raised at that. For those not there, here's how it went. Two companies (World of Tanks and Sennheiser) brought booth babes to PAX for their booths. This is a violation of the terms for exhibition at PAX and both groups were told, "Put them in more clothes, or get them out of here." I have no problem with those basic rules; I think ejecting the company for the violation would be an over-reach, fines would get gamed, etc. However, why on earth can't there be a 'final run through' when the press are going through? Have one of the US enforcers go over them, and if they see anything that they'd classify as problematic, that's when you make the policy clear.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Oct 2013, 04:05

The dates and venue for PAX Australia 2014 have been announced.

PAX wrote:The show will be moving to the larger Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre, and will be held from October 31st to November 2nd, 2014. With this venue change, we’re able to triple the size of our theatre spaces for next year, and there are exciting plans in the works for more international content and personalities to attend the show!

It is the weekend before the Melbourne Cup.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 21 Oct 2013, 04:16

Is there that much overlap between the MC audience and PAX?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Oct 2013, 04:21

I think Wil Wheaton, Gearbox, and the escapist all have horses in the race this year so...

;)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Oct 2013, 04:24

Not likely

I would guess not but transport and accommodation will likely be busier than normal due to the peusdo long weekend (Yes we get a day off for a horse race in Melbourne). On the flip side it might have been easier to the the Convention Centre as less people in Melbourne would want to be in competition.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 21 Oct 2013, 04:30

It will be interesting. Anyway I've still got my goal for PAX and I aim to meet it.
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 06 Dec 2013, 14:06

So, who is going next year? I've already got my badges but still working out accommodation with the person I'm going with. I missed out on the three day pass one more.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 06 Dec 2013, 18:29

I'm definitely going!

Return to “General Discussion”