Wireless USB Adapters, Cameras and Breaking Dawn! Help!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Wireless USB Adapters, Cameras and Breaking Dawn! Help!

Postby King Kool » 27 Sep 2012, 21:46

So... I need help with a handful of things.

1. I want to get a new USB wireless internet adapter thing. The one I have currently sucks. When it gets hot, it drops the signal. I've been tolerating it for a while, but I'm getting tired of it. Can anyone suggest a good USB wireless internet adapter, preferably one they've used?

2. I'm also thinking of getting a new camera because my camera is old and may be giving up the ghost. I'll probably get a Canon T3i, which is about as expensive as I'm willing to go. I want to get the T3i to avoid the autogain problems that LRR faced in Season 8. Anyone used this camera, or similar cameras? Any suggestions?

(This is some of the glitching my camera started doing (though it might be the tape) http://youtu.be/tYZqb-H9bpQ The camera will be 8 years old in March, so maybe it's time to give it up. I tend to make technology last (unless it's a used laptop, in which case it will die in record time).

3. Has anyone here watched AND read Breaking Dawn, Part 1? If so, do you think it's a fair adaptation of the book? I don't have time to read it myself before what I need this info is for (and I wouldn't read them out of order, if I could bring myself to read them at all), and the people in my real life that I've asked have basically split right down the middle, so that data isn't really useful.

I think that's it.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Re: Wireless USB Adapters, Cameras and Breaking Dawn! Help!

Postby Wraith » 30 Sep 2012, 14:33

Why do you need a USB wireless adapter? If it's for a desktop, I would strongly recommend an internal wireless card. If it's for a different device and you really need to go the USB route, try one of these.

Breaking Dawn you say? You should ask Wiggins. Don't let him tell you he doesn't know. You may have to reassure him that you won't judge him.
-Wraith
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Sep 2012, 14:50

3) The wife tells me it's a fair adaptation. Take that as you will.
sasparilla
First Video: The Job

Postby sasparilla » 30 Sep 2012, 16:09

Re: Camera

The camera I just filmed the PAX panel with is a Canon Rebel T4i which I am really liking so far. I just got it at the beginning of August, so I've only had a few months to play with it. I have noticed that its a little "light" in image capability, like you don't get the full range of ISOs as you would with a Canon 60D or 5D or a higher end DSLR. But for an entry to somewhat mid-range camera I think its great.

The T4i also has a fold out screen, AND!! a feature I really like - touch screen capability! Especially useful for changing ISO, shutter speed and exposure quickly and quietly (you can hear me clicking the exposure a few times in the LRR panel, I really should have used the screen for that, but anyways) The T4i will also do auto focusing for video, although it takes a few moments, and it's faster if you just do it yourself.

Another nice thing is that the camera will record for 30 minutes before you have to hit record again, all the other Canon DSLRs will stop video after 12 minutes I believe.

So yeah! Take another look at the panel to see the kind of image the T4i produces - it's any of the seated/head-on shots :)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 30 Sep 2012, 18:03

Wraith: I'm not comfortable taking apart my little Compaq AND I use the same wireless card for this computer AND my ancient laptop. (Not that I couldn't just use the usb one for that exclusively if I installed one into the Compag). I will probably bite the bullet and buy that one. I doubt it could suck worse than the one I use (and it's fine; it's just not reliable).

Met: Noted. Thank your wife for me.

Sas: I think the T3i has a foldout screen, too. The only thing T4i has that I might want is the autofocus on video because it will be a mostly video camera. Have you used a previous version that didn't have the video autofocus? Did that affect shooting much? (come to think of it, I should just ask the crew how the T21 worked; I know I don't want that one because of the auto-gain you can't turn off. The T3i doesn't have that.)
a winner is you. - Ash
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 30 Sep 2012, 19:10

Your call, but I guarantee you'l find an internal far more stable.
-Wraith
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 30 Sep 2012, 20:23

The die is cast. It is already bought.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 05 Oct 2012, 17:48

Bought and hooked up. It might be a bit slower than the other one, but it hasn't dropped the connection yet.

Sas: Which lens do you use? The 55 or the 135? I've never used a camera with an external lens, so I don't know which I need.
a winner is you. - Ash
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 07 Oct 2012, 12:10

King Kool wrote:Bought and hooked up. It might be a bit slower than the other one, but it hasn't dropped the connection yet.

Sas: Which lens do you use? The 55 or the 135? I've never used a camera with an external lens, so I don't know which I need.

Oops, sorry! This thread escaped me...

I have the 18-135 STM lens that comes with the T4i. It's a good wide to medium zoom lens :)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 14 Oct 2012, 10:47

Well:

I've had a few hiccups on the new wireless card. It's different than the other card. I'm not sure if it's a service thing or if's it's just the computer. I hope it's not the card.
a winner is you. - Ash
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 14 Oct 2012, 15:44

Sweet! Have fun! :D
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 14 Oct 2012, 21:26

So... the video files this thing makes can be PLAYED by my PC with occasional glitching, but VirtualDub and WMM won't open them for editing. And Adobe Premiere (If I felt like dropping even more money) is no longer supported on 32-bit operating systems. Bringing the files to the mac may work, but it will never save any file in a reasonable amount of time.

Surely there's a way to get VirtualDub to understand those files. I'll look into it tomorrow.

(Context: VirtualDub is free editing software that's actually pretty versatile. There's a scripting language called AviSynth that you can "code" video edits together. I've tinkered with it, but it's SO finicky.)
a winner is you. - Ash
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 15 Oct 2012, 09:55

Have you tried using handbrake to reincode them? Time consuming and frustrating I know but as a stop gap measure it may do the job, with the combination of camera and wireless issues though I am afraid it may be new computer time D:

On the off chance you haven't come accross it http://handbrake.fr/
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 Oct 2012, 20:44

No, I got it to work. yaay
a winner is you. - Ash

Return to “General Discussion”