PAX East 2013 - 100% Complete

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: PAX East 2013 - OMG Less Than a Month Away!

Postby Kapol » 12 Mar 2013, 20:54

Lord Hosk wrote:
4 of my 6 passes have been paid for, I gave the people until sunday the 24th to pay, If there is still one available would you be interested? I would overnight the pass to you to make sure you get it on time.


Hosk, do you mean the 17th? It seems odd to post on the last day of the convention, unless that was the joke. :P
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX East 2013 - OMG Less Than a Month Away!

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Mar 2013, 21:02

Kapol wrote:
Lord Hosk wrote:
4 of my 6 passes have been paid for, I gave the people until sunday the 24th to pay, If there is still one available would you be interested? I would overnight the pass to you to make sure you get it on time.


Hosk, do you mean the 17th? It seems odd to post on the last day of the convention, unless that was the joke. :P


yeah 17th my bad
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
TheMadPunter
Posts: 13
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:59
First Video: Omni-Lingual
Location: Space
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - OMG Less Than a Month Away!

Postby TheMadPunter » 13 Mar 2013, 20:52

Lord Hosk wrote:4 of my 6 passes have been paid for, I gave the people until sunday the 17th to pay, If there is still one available would you be interested? I would overnight the pass to you to make sure you get it on time.


Yes, I would very much be interested - though would it not make more sense to just take it with you and meet me in the lobby or something? Save on postage? Or are you yourself not going?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Mar 2013, 21:51

I could do that but then I would have to pay for a flight to boston.

I am selling all the passes because my wife and I made the really really difficult decision that we couldnt go because I cant afford to miss more classes this term. Or spare a weekend of homework time :(

but I might get to go to prime!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
TheMadPunter
Posts: 13
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:59
First Video: Omni-Lingual
Location: Space
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby TheMadPunter » 14 Mar 2013, 09:44

Lord Hosk wrote:I could do that but then I would have to pay for a flight to boston.

I am selling all the passes because my wife and I made the really really difficult decision that we couldnt go because I cant afford to miss more classes this term. Or spare a weekend of homework time :(

but I might get to go to prime!


Well, here's to hoping! In the meantime, I believe I speak for the entire LRR community when I say thanks for being awesome and helping out your fellow geeks.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
User avatar
Beta Test
Posts: 510
Joined: 14 Sep 2010, 12:36
First Video: who you gonna call
Location: Oh you know just phaphphing about.
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Beta Test » 14 Mar 2013, 10:30

Just like to say I'll be going as well, and I haven't read this whole theard so is going to be something going on for Sunday as well, because I missed out on the Saturday passes this year.
I'm Ignorant, God...
Sorry I can't do that, it violates my three laws of robotics.
Geoff_B: Your scout is Bonkers!
User avatar
MrPayneTrayne
Posts: 638
Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 12:12
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 14 Mar 2013, 11:15

I'm looking into bringing my Pokemon themed drinking game to a local bar to pass time before my airplane leaves at 5am Monday morning.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Mar 2013, 18:37

be careful, ticket takers like to disqualify people for being intoxicated.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
MrPayneTrayne
Posts: 638
Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 12:12
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 15 Mar 2013, 11:31

Actually, there's an amazing concert on Sunday night with Protomen and MC Frontalot, so I've found something to do!
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Kapol » 15 Mar 2013, 11:53

MrPayneTrayne wrote:Actually, there's an amazing concert on Sunday night with Protomen and MC Frontalot, so I've found something to do!


Wherewhenhowwhywhat?
User avatar
Yaxley
Posts: 2389
Joined: 02 Nov 2008, 14:38
First Video: Lock Out
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Yaxley » 18 Mar 2013, 06:58

Is anyone bringing Cards Against Humanity? I have the base set, the two expansions, and the Christmas pack, and until I went to pack, I didn't realize how freaking heavy that many cards are. I'm inclined to leave them at home, but I wondered if anyone else is planning on having a set there.

Also, what time are people getting into town? I should be getting there around 2:00 and will obviously have a lot of time to kill if anyone wants to meet up and play some games.
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 Mar 2013, 08:51

Yaxley wrote:Is anyone bringing Cards Against Humanity? I have the base set, the two expansions, and the Christmas pack, and until I went to pack, I didn't realize how freaking heavy that many cards are. I'm inclined to leave them at home, but I wondered if anyone else is planning on having a set there.

Also, what time are people getting into town? I should be getting there around 2:00 and will obviously have a lot of time to kill if anyone wants to meet up and play some games.


Yeah I've got all of them too, and I was wondering about whether I should bring them. Last year everyone had them... I wonder if this year no one will?

Then again, maybe it's played itself out. Are people tired of CAH? It... kind of consumed all of last PAX.

My bag is going to be super full on the way there, too.
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby aeric90 » 18 Mar 2013, 08:57

I carting along my copy of NetRunner for "just in case I'm tired of MTG and CAH" times.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
Ptangmatik
Posts: 3596
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 09:44
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables
Location: the shire of york

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Ptangmatik » 18 Mar 2013, 10:57

When PAX UK finally happens, I probably still won't be able to afford to go down to London

Edit: So have a fantastic time, or else :)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Mar 2013, 14:12

All my passes were claimed sorry folks.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Mar 2013, 14:14

Ptangmatik wrote:When PAX UK finally happens, I probably still won't be able to afford to go down to London

Edit: So have a fantastic time, or else :)



PAX Europe will be in Rome sorry.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
Juliamon
Posts: 297
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 16:41
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?
Location: Southern NH
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Juliamon » 18 Mar 2013, 14:25

Attention, PAX East-goers!
I am planning an unofficial (as it will be held in a hotel room) screening of the Season One DVDs. There are currently four timeslot options:

Thursday night
Friday around noon
Friday night after the LRR panel
Saturday afternoon

If you wish to watch some classic LRR, please PM me (or reply here if you're too lazy) to RSVP to one of those rough timeslots. I need to know who would be coming and how many, since there's limited space in the hotel room.
brb, assaulting children.
User avatar
TheMadPunter
Posts: 13
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:59
First Video: Omni-Lingual
Location: Space
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby TheMadPunter » 18 Mar 2013, 19:09

For anyone still hunting for a badge, it's worth taking a look at Ebay. They have maybe a dozen 3-days floating around; prices trending between $150 and $200, so pretty steep, but might still be worth it to you.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Kapol » 19 Mar 2013, 19:12

As PAX approaches evermore quickly, I find myself becoming increasingly worried that something will go wrong. But that's just me being insane.

I do have a couple questions for those who aren't going for the first time. What's a good 'buffer time' to leave between panels? There are a few fairly close (time-wise) that I want to see.

As well, I have some train questions. Would it be wise to take my gaming PC? I'm not worried about leaving it in the room since I trust who I'm staying with, but I'm worried about having it on the train. Finally, to get on the train, do I need the credit card used to reserve the ticket, or just my ID to show who I am?
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Mar 2013, 19:27

Kapol wrote:As PAX approaches evermore quickly, I find myself becoming increasingly worried that something will go wrong. But that's just me being insane.

I do have a couple questions for those who aren't going for the first time. What's a good 'buffer time' to leave between panels? There are a few fairly close (time-wise) that I want to see.

As well, I have some train questions. Would it be wise to take my gaming PC? I'm not worried about leaving it in the room since I trust who I'm staying with, but I'm worried about having it on the train. Finally, to get on the train, do I need the credit card used to reserve the ticket, or just my ID to show who I am?


Depends on the panel and its popularity (Penny Arcade related panels have huge lines), but the convention center is pretty big. You need at least 20 minutes for getting from one place to another on the same side of the convention center (East/West), 30+ for different sides. If two panels are back-to-back, chances are you're not going to make it. I once ran from Tabletop on the lower level to Handheld on the upper level and it took me 15 minutes, but I think I may have trampled a few people on the way.

(The PAX Pokemon League has a meetup at 4 and the strip search panel is at 4:30 so I myself am worried about this, I'm going to have to be at the handheld lounge at 4 to set things up and then immediately run to arachnid and I probably won't even get in. :( I need to hide in Kathleen's purse or something.)

Re: your gaming PC, I would advise against taking it your first year. You're simply not going to have time for it. Besides, if you didn't register for BYOC, there won't be space for it. Believe me, there's PLENTY of games to play at PAX without lugging around a huge computer you can play any time the rest of the year.

For the train, you should have gotten an e-ticket in your email. That and photo ID is all you technically need. If you need to pick your tickets up at the station, you might need the credit card you used to buy them.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Kapol » 19 Mar 2013, 19:39

So yea, convention center is really big then. o_o I'll have to start narrowing down my choices then to the ones I really want to attend. Hmmm...

As for the PC, I'm not planning on actually using my PC at all during PAX itself. I should have clarified that I'm talking about my gaming laptop and not my desktop. The main reason I'd bring it would be to play it during the 18 hour train rides. I could play it between trying to play games with other PAX riders and sleeping I figure.

I already have the ticket printed out, so that's not an issue. I've just run into problems before for not bringing this or that credit card due to various reasons, and wanted to be sure that didn't happen when I drive to the train. Because if I can't get on then... well, I won't be going at all (it'd take three hours to return home and get something).

I'll likely bring it to be safe, but it's nice to know I likely won't need it.
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Mar 2013, 19:51

Kapol wrote:So yea, convention center is really big then. o_o I'll have to start narrowing down my choices then to the ones I really want to attend. Hmmm...

As for the PC, I'm not planning on actually using my PC at all during PAX itself. I should have clarified that I'm talking about my gaming laptop and not my desktop. The main reason I'd bring it would be to play it during the 18 hour train rides. I could play it between trying to play games with other PAX riders and sleeping I figure.

I already have the ticket printed out, so that's not an issue. I've just run into problems before for not bringing this or that credit card due to various reasons, and wanted to be sure that didn't happen when I drive to the train. Because if I can't get on then... well, I won't be going at all (it'd take three hours to return home and get something).

I'll likely bring it to be safe, but it's nice to know I likely won't need it.


It's really big. Like, bigly hugely big. You will be shocked at the bigness.

Ah, a gaming laptop is more feasible. Honestly most of the people I see gaming on the train are playing DSes or Vitas or Tabletop games in the lounge car, though I think I recall a few people playing on their laptops. So, whatever you fancy! A laptop's not a big deal. There's usually a safe in the room, but obviously who knows what the maids get up to.

I'd bring it just to be safe, but yeah, you probably won't need it.
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2013, 20:49

the strip search panel is at 2:30 not 4:30

Dont be afraid to ask an enforcer for help, thats what they are there for.

I would plan your panel list, with priorities. If you REALLY wanna see the strip search panel, and who wouldn't, you will have to skip "Game Audio: From Hobbyist to Professional" at 1:30

if you are really really nice to the enforcer at the door you might be able to go to the "Get Hired in Video Games Marketing" at 1:00 because its in the same room, just be like "hey dude/superhottie I really wanna do both panels is there any way you can let me just hang in here"


Dont be afraid to ask an enforcer for help, thats what they are there for.

If you want to go from strip search which ends at roughly 3:40 to "Rethinking Gaming Addiction" at 4 you can probably make it because the intellectual panels generally have room even if you are a couple minutes late.

Best advice, if you REALLY want to see a panel be there 30 minutes early, worst case you chat with someone else who is really interested in the topic. I got this with the gamification of education panel with James Portnow. I was in line with a guy with a PHD in education and a BA in computer science, I was there 35 minutes early it seemed like 15 seconds until they let us in.

Best advice two, a one hour panel will run 10 minutes beyond when it is supposed to.

Best advice three Dont be afraid to ask an enforcer for help, thats what they are there for.

Learn the way from one panel to the next ahead of time and check your map,
for example "I want to go from Naga to Wyvern I need to go out the door turn right and walk to the bridge then cross the bridge and turn left.

Yaxley and I left one panel turned left walked to the door of the panel we wanted to go to, they had the wrong sign up on the holding area so we thought we were on the wrong side of the expo center and high tailed it from the correct door, to the wrong door then back. The entire place is grey and white with glass on the outside looking at brown buildings. it is easy to get lost.

If you want swag, as soon as they open the doors, go to the expo floor, that stuff disappears fast. unless there is something super awesome never be able to do it again on the gaming floor, waiting in line for over an hour seems like a waste to me. wait I get a chance to preview a game that wont be in stores until APRIL? Hell I will wait 6 hours in line for the chance to play that for 5 minutes. :?


Lastly Dont be afraid to ask an enforcer for help, thats what they are there for.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Mar 2013, 21:15

Lord Hosk wrote:the strip search panel is at 2:30 not 4:30



OH MY GOODNESS YOU ARE RIGHT YOU WONDERFUL MAN YOU

I had confused 16:30 with 14:30 for some reason? I don't even know how that happened in my brain.

BUT THIS IS PERFECT. I have never had a schedule so perfectly spaced out. Plenty of time for me to get to everything! GLORIOUS.

Hosk is right, always ask an Enforcer! I ask enforcers stupid questions all the time (since I get turned around really easily), and they're always super helpful! And then I give them a pin for being awesome.

Seriously they're always happy to help me and it's so nice knowing that you can just randomly turn to someone and ask which way is the nearest bathroom or which direction is Naga theater or whatever.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: PAX East 2013 - The Time Draws Nigh!

Postby Kapol » 19 Mar 2013, 23:47

Lord Hosk wrote:Best advice, if you REALLY want to see a panel be there 30 minutes early, worst case you chat with someone else who is really interested in the topic. I got this with the gamification of education panel with James Portnow. I was in line with a guy with a PHD in education and a BA in computer science, I was there 35 minutes early it seemed like 15 seconds until they let us in.


The only thing that concerns me with attempting on is the concerts. Let's say I want to go to the Saturday Night Concert. How long do you think I should get there before the event to actually get in?

Also, judging by your advice, it seems like it's a good idea to yell at and belittle enforcers whenever I have the chances. Note: This is meant as a joke and I do not encourage anyone, including myself, to actually do this.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests