Unofficial Desert Bus Challenges Conversation Thread OF DOOM

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: Unofficial Desert Bus Challenges Conversation Thread OF

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2012, 02:49

One of my challenges was for the driver to stop at the bus stop sign & open the door for the non-existent passengers, then successfully pull away. Jer mentioned in his final hours that he had at some point, stopped & opened the door. Does anyone know if this is in response to my challenge, or just something he did on his own?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 25 Nov 2012, 04:20

I think he just did it just because, since he'd just crashed, so wouldn't miss much time if he messed it up, and wasn't going to have enough time to get another point anyway. He didn't exactly go into detail as to why he did it, but challenges weren't mentioned...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 25 Nov 2012, 12:11

I submitted my challenge something like five times over the course of Desert Bus, and finally gave up after the last purge. It wasn't super-important anyway, but I think it would have been neat. It was just, "Until you tire of it, everyone must include a compliment/positive comment when talking to another."
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 25 Nov 2012, 12:21

i was so stoked to get one of my challenges done. the Speed Racer thing with Ash was mine and it was soooo funny.
also put in other challenges , wanted graham and andy to re-enact some monthy python . this was my first DB and i put in a challenge to do some Whose Line is it anyway style impro. LOL little did i know this was already a DB staple
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 25 Nov 2012, 13:25

Fayili wrote:I submitted my challenge something like five times over the course of Desert Bus, and finally gave up after the last purge. It wasn't super-important anyway, but I think it would have been neat. It was just, "Until you tire of it, everyone must include a compliment/positive comment when talking to another."

That, or something incredibly like it, did happen.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 25 Nov 2012, 14:08

Wait, when? O.O

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2012, 14:29

There was a challenge to have each of them compliment someone else. I couldn't find it in the spreadsheet, but you may have better luck.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 25 Nov 2012, 14:35

Oh, no. Not quite the same. Still in the same spirit, though!

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Nov 2012, 14:38

It wasn't quite the same in intention. But they did it quite a bit more then once and added it each time they spoke to another person if I remember correctly. So, while the original challenge may have been slightly different, I felt it ended up being what you had intended. Without video proof though it's hard to say.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Nov 2012, 15:57

I challenged them to raise $100,000 for the children then do it three more times, in one year.

It was accepted and completed.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Nov 2012, 02:51

@Fayili: I have NO IDEA when it was, but we definitely did that challenge.

And info for everyone:
From our end (and from the vast majority of feedback we've received) the new challenge system worked really well.

We completed more of them, and raised more money from them. So... success?
We may not have been able to do your challenge, but we the chances were far higher this time!

I'd love to hear your feedback. I think we needed to purge the challenges more often, to better ensure people would be watching their challenges, but otherwise I think it went really well.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Nov 2012, 03:03

That's pretty much the main feedback I'd say. Purging the system more often seems like it'd be for the best overall. It'd allow people who are watching a better chance to get their challenge in. At the same time it'd reduce the likelyhood of you guys doing a challenge while someone isn't watching.

On that note, it might work to have an option to save challenges for resubmitting. That way if someone is just going to redo the same question they'll have their time saved. It's possible to just put it into a text file of course. But this way it'd be a much simpler process overall for the viewer.

Also, did you guys ever nail down the bug that made it so people who had submitted challenges couldn't see them? I remember after the second purge that had been a slight problem.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 26 Nov 2012, 03:34

Compliment thyme, with bonus 4am brain-failures.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 26 Nov 2012, 03:59

The only problem I had with challenges was my own; I couldn't think of anything decent. I thought about submitting the "Substitute" challenge again, but I wanted to submit something different this year.
I did eventually submit a "don't break" challenge, but I'm not sure how successful it would have been.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 26 Nov 2012, 04:35

Only problem I had (apart from the fact that none of my challenges were done! :P ) is the fact that I could submit a challenge, then go to bed, during which time the challenge could potentially be done and the system purged, then when I come back the next morning I don't know if it's been done or not.

Would it be possible to have the challenge stored in two locations - the main pool which gets updated/completed/purged, and a second list stored against the user who submitted the challenge where the status could be updated when the pool gets updated? So when I wake up I can see that the challenge was purged without being completed and I could resubmit?

Just a suggestion.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 26 Nov 2012, 05:09

Couldn't the back end be setup to just automatically purge challenges every 4 or 6 hours or something? I feel doing it at the shift changes every 12 hours wasn't really enough, whereas 4 or 6 would greatly increase people being around for their challenge.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Nov 2012, 08:29

The video capture people did an amazing job of capturing everything. Maybe when you mark a challenge complete it could include a tag of (day 2 9:16 am) so if you miss yours you can go back and easily watch it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 26 Nov 2012, 09:07

The challenge system this year was a lot lot LOT better than last year's. Basically perfect, I'd say. I really liked the busking system; it cut out all the logistical stuff waiting for people to donate before doing their challenges that happened at DB5, and I think it raised more money overall.

It seemed like whenever people were up for challenges, there were challenges to be had, and they happened naturally. Good show.
Angnor

Postby Angnor » 26 Nov 2012, 10:30

AlexanderDitto wrote:The challenge system this year was a lot lot LOT better than last year's. Basically perfect, I'd say. I really liked the busking system; it cut out all the logistical stuff waiting for people to donate before doing their challenges that happened at DB5, and I think it raised more money overall.

It seemed like whenever people were up for challenges, there were challenges to be had, and they happened naturally. Good show.

Agreed. I thought it was excellent.
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Nov 2012, 12:11

I liked the new system because I I didn't have to worry about them calling my challenge while I was away & thus having it not done. And now that everything is recorded, the only thing after that is to track it down afterwards.

I like the idea of adding an automatic timestamp to a donor's challenge page once it is completed. Either with actual local time or the hours into the drive so far, to help donors track down the video. However, there needs to be more accuracy in the current records. The crew did a challenge of mine & it was never marked as complete in my profile so I may have submitted it again before I realized this.

I also like the idea of letting donors save challenges in their profile. During the drive I had a text file with my challenges so I could just copy/paste them over again if they weren't read or completed before each purge.

If this were implemented, you might even consider adding an option to leave a note with certain challenges from a list of pre-determined answers like "Unable to do request," so if the crew sees a request drawn & knows they can't or don't want to do it, the donor has a not letting them know it might note be worth resubmitting.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 26 Nov 2012, 12:11

I agree with what has been said. This challenge system just worked. I really think you shouldn't make any major changes to the basic system. A way of seeing what challenges have been completed (maybe just save the completed ones. "Challenge not there? It got purged")

Cutting out all the 'has that donation come in yet' really saved a lot of rather boring to watch hassle.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Nov 2012, 12:42

Geoff_B wrote:Only problem I had (apart from the fact that none of my challenges were done! :P ) is the fact that I could submit a challenge, then go to bed, during which time the challenge could potentially be done and the system purged, then when I come back the next morning I don't know if it's been done or not.

Would it be possible to have the challenge stored in two locations - the main pool which gets updated/completed/purged, and a second list stored against the user who submitted the challenge where the status could be updated when the pool gets updated? So when I wake up I can see that the challenge was purged without being completed and I could resubmit?

Just a suggestion.
That actually happened. When a challenge was accepted and completed, it would stay in the system even after a purge. Therefore, you could see your completed challenges on your "My Challenges" page: https://desertbus.org/donor/challenges/
They learned after a couple of purges that they needed to mark both "accepted" and "completed" to have it not get caught in the purge, and they fixed that later. They were just marking challenges "completed" and those would get purged. Someone in Engineering did a search and added all "completed, but not accepted" challenges back into the system, so they'd appear again.
Also, all challenges were saved, no matter what. The "purge" was just a purge of having them come up on the random system, and if you had the challenge number, they could still search for it.

If your challenge was gone by the time you woke up, it was purged and not done. If it was done, it would be on the page so you could see that it was done.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 26 Nov 2012, 13:51

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:Only problem I had (apart from the fact that none of my challenges were done! :P ) is the fact that I could submit a challenge, then go to bed, during which time the challenge could potentially be done and the system purged, then when I come back the next morning I don't know if it's been done or not.

Just a suggestion.
That actually happened. When a challenge was accepted and completed, it would stay in the system even after a purge. Therefore, you could see your completed challenges on your "My Challenges" page: https://desertbus.org/donor/challenges/
They learned after a couple of purges that they needed to mark both "accepted" and "completed" to have it not get caught in the purge, and they fixed that later. They were just marking challenges "completed" and those would get purged. Someone in Engineering did a search and added all "completed, but not accepted" challenges back into the system, so they'd appear again.
Also, all challenges were saved, no matter what. The "purge" was just a purge of having them come up on the random system, and if you had the challenge number, they could still search for it.

If your challenge was gone by the time you woke up, it was purged and not done. If it was done, it would be on the page so you could see that it was done.

Forget I just suggested something then.

What did I just say! Don't scroll up and read my previous message dang it! :mrgreen:
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 26 Nov 2012, 14:05

Oh, wow! I'm really enjoying watching my challenge. Thanks, guys. I'm glad that it did happen, and that you had fun with it. :D

Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Nov 2012, 02:36

@AdmiralMemo thanks, I just didn't get to see that side of it.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “General Discussion”