NaNoWriMo!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

NaNoWriMo!

Postby Exachix » 28 Oct 2012, 13:30

I don't know if any other threads are made of this, but I wonder if anyone this year are doing NaNoWriMo 2012. I probably will be, and hopefully will 'win' this year.
While I don't normally do writing, I thought it would be fun to try it this year.

For those who are unsure of what this is, NaNoWriMo is a yearly event in which aspiring novellists, writers and anyone who is mad enough attempts to write a novel in a month. To be specific, over 50,000 words from the 1st of November to the 30th of November. This rounds out to 1667 words a day.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Re: NaNoWriMo!

Postby King Kool » 28 Oct 2012, 16:13

I'm a casual but very slow writer. One thousand words is what I do on a VERY good day. One thousand words an HOUR is my maximum output. That's what I do if I'm just on fire.

I attempted NaNoWriMo once, and I got about 25,000 words in twenty-ish days. I realized something.

For me, and I figure many other LRR fans, NaNoWriMo is destined to fail because it takes place in the same month as Desert Bus. That was when I lost my footing (not that I was going to make it at my rate anyway).
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 Oct 2012, 18:18

I might give it a shot. I started one during Camp Nanowrimo. But, like Kool said, it's kind of hurt by the fact DB takes place for a good part of the month. We'll see though. I've been meaning to try it anyways.
Last edited by Kapol on 29 Oct 2012, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 29 Oct 2012, 03:48

Ah yeah, that's fair. I was just wondering if anyone else is going to go mad trying to do it. I'm not sure exactly how far I'll get anyway.
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 29 Oct 2012, 05:18

King Kool wrote:...

For me, and I figure many other LRR fans, NaNoWriMo is destined to fail because it takes place in the same month as Desert Bus. That was when I lost my footing (not that I was going to make it at my rate anyway).

Unless you vow not to sleep until the bus crashes and write while watching!

More on-topic though, I would definitely consider myself an aspiring writer but don't think I'd be able to just 'force' myself to write like that...
Don't have time for it (or much of Desert Bus :() this year, but I definitely want to try this sometime.

For everybody who does try this, good luck!

Mara

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 29 Oct 2012, 07:58

I am definitely taking part this year. Down here in Cork, we have a new Municipal Liaison, so I'd be letting the side down if I didn't. Also, there's the All-Ireland Word War to think about. Can't be bringing down the average for Munster.

Also, I find writing huge amounts of bad writing with the occasional glimmer of something special strangely cathartic. Last year, I got to 42,000-odd words, then got waylaid by unanticipated personal stuff. Still, I had this kind of exhausted creative high for a number of weeks after. It was something else.

Last year, I had no plan. This year, I do. This should be to my advantage. Hopefully :D

Return to “General Discussion”