Well this is... a thing. (Disney buys Lucasfilm)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: Well this is... a thing. (Disney buys Lucasfilm)

Postby Jamfalcon » 30 Oct 2012, 13:59

Hmm, just looked at the Tweets from the guy that originally came from, and apparently all that's been said is that Disney's "cutting out all third-parties."

So not necessarily getting rid of what exists, but it could mean less in the future. I'll be interested to see how this affects the future of Star Wars videogames (and even what it will mean for The Old Republic, if anything.)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 30 Oct 2012, 14:36

I can't decide if this is good, bad, or if I'm merely indifferent.

I'd almost love the X-Wing books as Films, for sure. (I may love Wraith Squadron).

But I'm a big fan of the lore, so I'd like to hear what'll happen to that.

In other news, yes, I would like to know more. At least before making a concrete opinion of it.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Oct 2012, 14:42

The X-wing books will only be acceptable if Wraith plays Voort "Piggy" saBinring,
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Oct 2012, 14:58

Come on Jaina Solo film.

Or to a lesser extend. Come on Rogue Squadron film/TV Series.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 30 Oct 2012, 15:11

metcarfre wrote:*canon
Thanks for that. Saves me from doing it. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Oct 2012, 15:21

Elomin Sha wrote:Come on Rogue Squadron film/TV Series/video game sequel.

FTFY

The X-wing series was waaaaay to fan wanky to ever make a good movie.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 30 Oct 2012, 15:28

So Leia is now a Disney Princess?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 30 Oct 2012, 15:33

I think they'll do a Doctor Who. Reboot at point after the last movie ended, and class the EU as 'alternate universe'.

They won't destroy the EU, but it's likely it will be avoided.

Much as I think some of it might be fun.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 30 Oct 2012, 16:31

I gotta say, I didn't see this coming. I really, really didn't.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 30 Oct 2012, 17:05

There was word a year or so ago, from Lucas himself I believe, that any future Star Wars films would be set "centuries" after the original trilogy, completely bay-passing any conflicts with EU stuff by featuring a new time period so-to-speak. I think that would be a pretty neat idea and doesn't really have any negatives, it allows a new production to set it's own heroes, villains and perils without having to be weighted down by any canon "recent history".

Disney have let Marvel Studios do their own thing with universe building and that's gone pretty darn well - I don't see why, with the right leads and production team, a new Star Wars era couldn't do the same.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 30 Oct 2012, 18:20

I do not know how I feel about this announcement.

Like Graham, I feel like Star Wars cannot get worse at this point.

Disney seems to know what they're doing... Marvel Studios being a good example. Also Pixar. Damn near anything would be better than George Lucas.

I hope they don't try to remake 4, 5, and 6, as I share Tim Schafer's (sort of?) twitter sentiment that it doesn't make sense to keep going back to old ideas when there are so many new ideas out there. Sequals could be... OK, if done right? I don't know. I DON'T KNOW.

BLARUGH.

I guess what I really want is for Disney to somehow go back and time and stop George Lucas from making the prequels, then travel forward in time to when he makes the Kinect Star Wars dancing game and punch him right in the face.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 30 Oct 2012, 18:47

Graham wrote:Star Wars can't get worse. I welcome this fresh change.

Au contraire. That's what I thought when someone OTHER than Sam Butthole Raimi was directing the Spider-Man reboot. What we got might just have been worse than number 3. (I'd have to go and rewatch them to really know for sure, something I'm not prepared to do just yet).

If Lucas isn't head honcho, then it could be farmed to someone who turns it hypergeneric pablum like the new Star Trek movie. I think the odds of the new Star Wars turning into the next Avengers in the modern movie world are very slim. (Hell, the Avengers being as good as it was was sort of a miracle; it might be too much to hope for that Avengers 2 be any good, much less a new Star Wars movie).

Say what you will about the prequels, they were, for the most part, the product of one mind. That makes them as interesting to me as they are bad. And that's how all the fanstuff has come up, because it's all owned by one person instead of a company, and he was like, "Ok, sure" (And it now being owned by Disney, who almost certainly won't be nearly so relaxed about that.)

But no matter what they come up with, the fans will not be happy. George Lucas created a monster that cannot be fed.

I dunno. I can't call myself a fan (and I've been IN two lightsaber fights!), so they can try whatever. I'll watch it. But I won't get all bent out of shape like so many people did over the other stuff.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 30 Oct 2012, 18:58

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about this, probably going to wait for more information before giving a more concrete opinion.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 30 Oct 2012, 19:38

PlasmaCow wrote:There was word a year or so ago, from Lucas himself I believe, that any future Star Wars films would be set "centuries" after the original trilogy, completely bay-passing any conflicts with EU stuff by featuring a new time period so-to-speak. I think that would be a pretty neat idea and doesn't really have any negatives, it allows a new production to set it's own heroes, villains and perils without having to be weighted down by any canon "recent history".

With the new movies set centuries after the original trilogy, the inevitable character who looks just like Boba Fett will be explained away as a descendant of the clones. And the droids from the original trilogy will be there, because they're robots and can live that long. And there will be some expository dialogue that explains how the Ewoks told Chewbacca the secret to eternal life out of gratitude for his help in saving Endor. And then Chewbacca will walk in, roar, and shoot a fish-faced alien lurking in the shadows. The Chewbacca and Fish-Faced Spy action figures will be sold separately, and the Fish-Faced Spy will be a playable character in Knights of the New Republic if you buy the optional DLC. Ghost Yoda, Ghost Obi-Wan, and Ghost Anakin will all be in the movie, because that's how ghosts work. And Jar-Jar will be in all the sequels, because Disney hates us just as much as Lucas does.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 30 Oct 2012, 20:19

Fayili wrote:So Leia is now a Disney Princess?

Already made that observation on page 1...
2stepz wrote:I always thought Leia should be a Disney Princess...
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 30 Oct 2012, 21:44

Oh, wop. Well, it's still an odd thought!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 Oct 2012, 22:27

King Kool wrote:Au contraire. That's what I thought when someone OTHER than Sam Butthole Raimi was directing the Spider-Man reboot.
You shut your mouth about Sam Raimi.

Also, that's why you had a problem, you clearly disliked Raimi's movies for some reason (despite 2 being the best superhero movie ever, at the time). I would have easily believed you could make worse films.

I firmly believe there is nowhere lower for SW to go that Ep I, II and III.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 30 Oct 2012, 22:40

Would it be good to point out that the reason I probably don't like star wars in the least is because the first film I seen was episode 1, in theatres, and then the three originals later on.

I was like, 7 and thought 1 was stupid and jar jar should just die.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 30 Oct 2012, 23:09

Graham wrote:
King Kool wrote:Au contraire. That's what I thought when someone OTHER than Sam Butthole Raimi was directing the Spider-Man reboot.
You shut your mouth about Sam Raimi.

Also, that's why you had a problem, you clearly disliked Raimi's movies for some reason (despite 2 being the best superhero movie ever, at the time). I would have easily believed you could make worse films.

I firmly believe there is nowhere lower for SW to go that Ep I, II and III.

What if jarjar binks was the new ackbar? "Itsa trapa! blaghghghgh" or his kid is Chewie instead of chewie?!
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 31 Oct 2012, 00:50

Honestly? I'm happy to hear this.
Disney acquiring something has, in the recent past, led to an influx of new expansions to the original material, and quite a lot of it excellent (Marvel being the best example, as already stated).

Even if they don't manage to change the direction of the films, we'd still have excellent lightsaber duels and a space battle or two to look forward to.
Hell, they could go for a third death star and I'd accept that happily.

I grew up with and love the old trilogy, but its pedestal has been wearing down enough for me to see that it's not the best thing in existence.
Disney is large enough to be able to see what worked and what didn't work for Star Wars as well as this type of film in the past.

So yeah, more than cautiously optimistic about this one.
...unless they somehow get the idea that Ridley Scott or Michael Bay would be excellent choices to lead the project.

Mara.

PS - And look, you'll soon already be able to poke your Facebook friends with lightsabers! Isn't that grand?

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 31 Oct 2012, 02:21

Well this came out of left field. Like all the way beyond the left side of the field.
And I really hope they go with the Thrawn Trilogy for this. Granted, the only EU book I read, but such a great story.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Oct 2012, 02:32

Graham wrote:I firmly believe there is nowhere lower for SW to go that Ep I, II and III.

What if they remake the holiday special?

And I'd like to see the X-Wing books made into movies - no fancy force powers, no flashy lightsabers, just pure awesome piloting skill. And Wedge.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Oct 2012, 02:55

2stepz wrote:I always thought Leia should be a Disney Princess...

That is what I put on my Facebook status.

Disney isn't a bad film studio. They make good films. Unfortunately Star Wars is one of those things where you expect exceptional films. There is also danger that official novels maybe demoted to "fan fiction".
Disney needs more darker films.
-
By the way, third party licences of the Franchises are now dissolved. Like, SWTOR is closing down.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 31 Oct 2012, 03:11

I would not mind a Star Wars film written and directed by Joss Whedon.

I would not mind very much.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 31 Oct 2012, 05:40

King Kool wrote:
Graham wrote:Star Wars can't get worse. I welcome this fresh change.

If Lucas isn't head honcho, then it could be farmed to someone who turns it hypergeneric pablum like the new Star Trek movie.

This is dumb and you should feel dumb. The new Star Trek movie was great, and got a lot of new people interested in the franchise. ALSO, Lucas as head honcho basically GUARANTEES Star Wars will continue to be hypergeneric pablum. Episodes 1, 2, and 3 were trite cliches that made no sense. That was their problem.

King Kool wrote:Hell, the Avengers being as good as it was was sort of a miracle; it might be too much to hope for that Avengers 2 be any good, much less a new Star Wars movie).

This is also dumb! With the success of Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America, plus the addition of Joss Whedon writing and directing, you thought Avengers' success was a miracle? Perhaps in the same way that you think that toast coming out of your toaster browned is a miracle? :roll:

King Kool wrote:Say what you will about the prequels, they were, for the most part, the product of one mind....

But no matter what they come up with, the fans will not be happy. George Lucas created a monster that cannot be fed.

This is also also dumb. They were the product of one mind who very clearly can't tell a story, or doesn't recognize the elements of one. Midichlorians alone are enough to underscore that fact.

Fans would have been happy if the prequels hadn't been shit. I don't understand what is confusing about this. If you take a successful franchise, rip out all its core elements, and replace them with ridiculous CGI characters spouting catch phrases and a bungled plot that makes NO SENSE, of COURSE fans are going to be angry. Because you're a multimillionare film maker! If you can't construct a cohesive narrative, you don't deserve those megabux.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:There is also danger that official novels maybe demoted to "fan fiction".

It's not like this killed Doctor Who.... It'd probably be fine. They just would be considered "semi-cannon." If the future films are set WAY in the future, it probably doesn't matter so much. The Universe is big. Lots of room for stuff.

Return to “General Discussion”