The Third Annual LRR Forum Secret Santa! (CLOSED)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

The Third Annual LRR Forum Secret Santa! (CLOSED)

Postby TheRocket » 01 Nov 2012, 14:26

Copy Pasta’d from last years, with modifications!

You can stop refreshing your browsers and start peeing yourselves in excitement! It’s the third (ermahgerdnowai) annual LRR Forum Christmas Gift Exchange! I promised you all signups would be available on November 1st, and I kept that promise =D

WHAT IT IS:

To celebrate the holiday we will be doing a Christmas gift exchange! This is where you will send someone a gift under $10.00 in the mail and you in return will receive one.

PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE: This is an international gift exchange. Your secret santa could live on the other side of the world! Unless you want to pay 3x as much for shipping as you did for the gift, keep the gift size small and light. Do not send weapons. Do not send food. These things will more than likely be confiscated by customs if you get someone across the pond from you. If you need help with how to ship something visit your local post office for the best advice. Alternatively, if you don’t feel creative or want to save all together on shipping, online gift cards are fabu in style!

IMPORTANT CHANGES: Along with your gift and shipping, I am asking for a small donation per person through paypal. OMGWUTIZTHIS CHANGES R SCURRY!? Well I am glad you asked! I have been thinking a lot about past years and the disappointment of our fellow forumites who did not get a gift. I thought all year like a good little Christmas elf about what I could do to alleviate such a sad situation if it happened again this year. I came to the conclusion that if a small donation could be made to a paypal account, in the end if someone is left out we would have a fall back on buying them a small gift + shipping. Alternatively if 2 or more people are left out I could buy them online gift certificates. If NO ONE is left out we can donate the money to ChildsPlay!! By small donation I mean $1.00 – $3.00, whatever you can spare. I know there will be some people that cannot afford any further donating or purchasing on top of gift and shipping, and there will be some who for them $2.00 isn’t a huge deal…. And in the end we’ve covered all our bases! I think it’s a brilliant plan so I’m hoping it will be welcomed with open arms. I’m not making it mandatory, so if people hate it we can scrap the idea all together. We had 35 people sign up last year (and 2 people did not receive their gifts), so even if 20 people donated 2$ or we averaged that, we’d have enough to cover a couple people who might lose out, or alternatively have 40$ for an awesome charity this entire community supports. SKADOOSH!

Paypal email: [email protected]

HOW IT WORKS:

1.Respond to this thread with your username and the word: CONFIRMED in ALL CAPS AND GREEN.

It should look like this:

THE ROCKET: CONFIRMED

2.Below your username, please include a bit about yourself to give your secret santa an idea of what you like. Please don’t make it a “gift wish list”. Put this part in yellow!

It should look something like this:

I’m a photographer who loves photo related trinkets and all things photography. I am a bit of a geek and my house is gamer themed. Ocarina of Time is my favourite game. Popcorn is my favourite food in the entire world. I enjoy good facial hair and am known to indulge myself in a good old fashioned Buffy marathon.

Now, this is just to give your secret santa an idea of who you are and what types of things you like. This is beneficial if people are newer to the forums and don’t have a strong feel of what you might like. This is not a gift wish list. It is not a reflection of what you may receive as a gift. It is entirely up to the giver what they want to send you! Don’t feel restricted by the ‘blurb’ – use as much imagination and creativity as you want! Gifts are not limited to purchasing; you can absolutely make your gift if you are feeling crafty!

What it should NOT look like:

You can get me season 1 of Community. . A new set of pots and pans. I’d like some new Magic cards. A new pair of slippers. Etc.

3.PM me your mailing address and a REAL name.
We have had issues in the past with the post office and forum names. Please make sure to include your zip or postal. I do NOT keep addresses after the Secret Santa season is over, so if you assume I still have your info from last year, I do not. It is all deleted because I feel like keeping your personal information is weird and I don’t like it.

4.LAST DAY TO SIGN UP IS NOVEMBER 15th
. I will not take names after that. I tried to accommodate late sign ups in years past, and it made things very difficult! Some people didn’t end up getting their gifts until February! This gives you 2 full weeks to decide if you can afford this and sign up.

5.Names will be drawn the weekend of the 17th.
You will get a pm with your Secret Santa as well as their address. You can then visit this thread to read the blurb about your secret santa if you need ideas.

6.Go forth and get or make a gift!

Please have your gift sent out by the first weekend of December.

Mail is CRAZY SAUCE during Christmas and will probably take weeks to get to your Secret Santa. Especially if you get someone far away. Feel free to include a card or a note, and please include your forum name in your package. I know this means you don’t get to guess who your secret santa is in the end, but honestly, you can’t send a package in the mail without including your name and addy, so it’s a giveaway already.

7.When you receive your package please do not post on the forum WHO your package was from since people won’t get their packages at the same time and the process of elimination makes it less fun. However! Feel free to post photos of your super awesome gift and the glee on your face! <--- The most fun!

8.Have a Merry Christmas!

Also note: if you need to drop out please tell me BEFORE NOVEMBER 15th. If you sign up and then do not deliver on your promise, you will not be eligible for next years secret santa as it is completely unfair of you to accept a gift and not send one.

AND OFFICIAL SIGN UP GO GO GO GO GO!!!

OFFICIAL SECRET SANTA LINE UP!
1. Metcarfre +
2. Elomin Sha +
3. Aubergine +
4. Jack Slack +
5. Aeric90 +
6. Fayili +
7. Minichi +
8. Plasma Cow +
9. Duckay +
10. DrDiggit42 +
11. LordHosk +
12. Beramode0 +
13. King Kool +
14. Sasparilla +
15. LogicSword +
16. Tapir12 +
17. GC Minaj +
18. Phailhammer +
19. Pikachaos
20. Mimm +
21. GeoffB +
22. Keab42 +
23. Vanguard +
24. Kapol +
25. Volafortis +
26. James +
27. MisterFiend
28. Tak197 +
29. Evil Jim +
30. TheLoneBard +
31. Mr.PayneTrayne +
32. TheJester +
33. YoshiGal +
Last edited by TheRocket on 02 Jan 2013, 13:27, edited 7 times in total.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: The Third Annual LRR Forum Secret Santa!

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Nov 2012, 14:36

AW YISS

METCARFRE: CONFIRMED

I'm way too hard into #menswear nerdery, and I also love skiing, outdoorsiness, and really good food (especially that which I make myself). I love tiny, beautiful things but also consider myself a minimalist - basic things that are useful, well made, and long-lasting make me hard. It is not uncommon to find me on my third cup of coffee, curled up with a good book. Geeky stuff I like includes Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Goldeneye, classic sci-fi novels, Lego, and Nerf. No MtG or MLP pl0x.

T-shirt size; L or XL, depending. (Don't get me a t-shirt)

That donation dealie sounds brillo, Rocket. Good thinking!
Last edited by Metcarfre on 16 Nov 2012, 10:27, edited 4 times in total.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Nov 2012, 14:49

ELOMIN SHA: CONFIRMED

Gamer, general knowledge buff (I love useless information and history), I also like long walks on the beach after torching a condominium.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 01 Nov 2012, 14:54

AUBERGINE: CONFIRMED

I'm a third year psych student. I love British comedy, especially panel shows (QI, Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 Cats) but also skit shows like Flying Circus and Mitchell & Webb. I have a soft spot for plushies and Link from the Legend of Zelda. Day to day, however, I'm very practical - I don't wear makeup or fancy clothing, I prefer function over aesthetics. Also I have to drink at least one cup of tea per day or else I'll explode.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 01 Nov 2012, 14:58

JACKSLACK: CONFIRMED

I'm a librarian from Sydney and an avid gamer, with a love of card and board games. In addition, I'm a mad Disney fan; with a particular love of obscure Disney stuff (I have a prized copy of Eyes and Ears magazine, as an example). I really got into Telltale's The Walking Dead this year. And I'm a newlywed with a new home, so any little home-making touches would not go astray.

Rocket, I'm a bit worried about the donation thing. I don't have an active PayPal account anymore. I guess I should just go ahead and activate it again.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 01 Nov 2012, 15:11

AERIC90: CONFIRMED

I guess have WAY too many hobbies. I'm big into sports, particularly rugby and hockey, and I play both. Other than that I'm big into other geeky pursuits like video games, RPGs, sci-fi and fantasy and especially board games of which I have an embarrassingly large collection of over 120.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 01 Nov 2012, 15:16

FAYILI: CONFIRMED

I'm a college student, an English major, a knitter. Also, I will edit the crap out of stuff. So, basically, think of your bookish friends who like tea and old-fashioned stuff and cool trinkets, and that's probably me. If they like puzzle games and Whedon and have badly-decorated shelves because it's their first quarter away at an actual college.

So excited. :D
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 01 Nov 2012, 15:49

MinniChi: Confirmed
I am a single mom of an adorable 3 year old boy, currently attending college to become a chef (my lifelong dream). I love Doctor Who, reading, knitting, crocheting, and old games. I also consider myself a huge geek (though I may not be into gaming as much as other kinds of geeks).
::Edited since I saw people asking:: My shirt size is medium, though large sized shirts make for awesome pjs.

Is a paypal account required to make the small donation?
Last edited by MinniChi on 15 Nov 2012, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 01 Nov 2012, 16:09

PLASMACOW : CONFIRMED

A Scottish 20-something freelance (read, unemployed) graphic designer, I enjoy good design of all types. I've a wide range of other interests including the likes of: musicals, movies, sci-fi, cycling, video games, rpgs, board games, photography, typography, architecture, kayaking, comedy and an odd mix of music genres.
If a t-shirt is chosen, S should fit me fine, M to be on the safe side perhaps, I'm awkwardly at the cross over point size wise.

Getting in early this year unlike nearly forgetting to sign up in time last year.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 01 Nov 2012, 16:14

I have been so excited for this but apparently my computer does not want me to post! Curse it!

Duckay: CONFIRMED

I am a newlywed who loves the holiday season (Christmas, Halloween, anything that I can make awesome). My interests include Disney, baking, Magic: the Gathering, horror movies and pole dancing.
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:20

DRDIGGIT42: CONFIRMED

I'm a physics major in college. I like video games, baking, reading science fiction, anime, sketch comedy, and stand-up comedy. I drink a cup of tea every morning. I like cultural knick knacks, especially if there is a story or history behind it. If you live half-way around the world and want to do something digital to save on shipping, I'm cool with that. I would wait till Christmas to send it if you do decide to go digital.

I think we should add if we're okay with digital gifts and, if so, our emails to the address info we send to Rocket. I wouldn't want to deprive someone of opening a mysterious gift, but I think it should be an option.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Postby beramode0 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:37

Can I do this even if I live in Korea?
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 01 Nov 2012, 16:42

...I can't think of any reason why it would matter?
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:48

Yeah it doesn't matter where you live so long as you have mail service there and I'm pretty sure you have mail in Korea. ;)
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Nov 2012, 17:00

Lord Hosk Confirmed

I am awesome and anything I get will be awesome.

I am a old person who loves history, LRR, 1 swamp, TBS games, 5 and a mountain, Joss Whedon, IND #92, imagination.

I will be opening any item I receive on Christmas so please in some way indicate on the packaging or wrap the item inside the packaging to avoid accidental opening.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 01 Nov 2012, 17:04

I thought it would not be practical, considering the insane shipping price. Also what is this newfangled mail thing.
beramode0CONFIRMED
I'm a gamer, and I have enjoyed works such as The Bastion, TF2, Portal, and etc. I also like Scott Pilgrim, Doctor Who (the new series), Adventure time, Homestuck, and MLP:FIM. I really like all these things, but find it hard to pursue my hobbies due to the fact that I live in Korea. I listen to a looooot of rock. I'm into broken social scene these days. I used to live in Canada for like 5 years so I kinda miss it. And yeah, I'm a nerd who likes games, cartoons, sci-fi, and rock. Also, I'm kinda weird sometimes so you might be surprised of the presents I give. :twisted:
Last edited by beramode0 on 08 Nov 2012, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter Steam Facebook
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Nov 2012, 17:10

I like the idea of the donation for people who miss out thing.

KING KOOL: CONFIRMED

What fun would it be to give hints? You're on your own. Go nuts.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 01 Nov 2012, 17:13

If it helps, beramode0, I looked it up on Australia Post and unless it's lying to me to persuade me to send more things, shipping to Korea would be comparable to shipping to the United States for me. I assume that it's the same elsewhere too, that it would be more expensive than domestic postage but fairly comparable to any other international postage.

As I said, unless I calculated wrong somehow.
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 01 Nov 2012, 17:20

Woooooo yay. I love how everyone is everywhere in this forum. Also anyone who plays MTG put MTG as one of your hobbies in this thing. I'll put in a Korean MTG Ravnica booster as an extra to the random things I'll be sending.
Twitter Steam Facebook
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Nov 2012, 17:25

I'm considering doing this. The only problems are shipping fees and the fact I know that whatever I get will be disappointing with 99.159304944% certainty.

Also: How can we sure that we don't get them something they already have?
beramode0

Postby beramode0 » 01 Nov 2012, 17:31

It's a $10 give or take investment for pontential awesoooooome. I mean the danger is still there, but it seems fun. And I like fun. :-)
Twitter Steam Facebook
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Nov 2012, 17:38

I like to put a few little extras in like buttons, pens, stickers etc. - that way it's not totally a bust.
sasparilla
First Video: The Job

Postby sasparilla » 01 Nov 2012, 17:39

SASPARILLA: CONFIRMED

I'm into most of the stuff you find in the general geek sphere! I do videography and editing, I enjoy knitting and crocheting, drawing, and cute things. I don't know, surprise me!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Nov 2012, 18:13

I wonder how much it would cost to have a life sized nude card board stand up of me made... probably $9.99
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 01 Nov 2012, 18:16

LogicSword: CONFIRMED

I'm a 19 year old geek, currently studying Games Development at university. I enjoy video games from pretty much any genre but horror, and especially anything that's quirky or has a good storyline. I also love reading, particularly sci-fi/fantasy and a special love of anything Alice in Wonderland related. I also love anime, particularly Fullmetal Alchemist and comedies such as Azumanga. I have a worrying obsession with puns, which always leave me giggling away to myself for far too long. My t-shirt size is M, and I don't play MTG or watch MLP.

Just as a side note, if people are shipping to the UK can they make sure that the cost they need to put on the customs form is less than their equivalent of £15? I know that it's unlikely anyone will spend that much, but otherwise whoever receives it will have to pay import duties on it.
Last edited by LogicSword on 16 Nov 2012, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”