U.S. Election Day

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: U.S. Election Day

Postby Lord Chrusher » 05 Dec 2012, 01:32

One thing more true in the US than in other countries is how liberals and conservatives listen, watch and read different media outlets, outlets that agree with their world view. This goes part of the way towards explaining how partisan American politics are.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 05 Dec 2012, 03:00

JackSlack wrote:Fair enough, Wolf. Just thought I'd give you some ammunition in case he ever tries again. :)

No no, I meant no disrespect. For sure, I really appreciate it.

Thankfully it wasn't one of my professors. I was caught in the conversation, between him and a fellow student who does have him. They were going on and on about employment, and the economy and everything else that Obama had done.
I enjoy healthy debate and conversation; this guy, however, was beyond help.

Now this ammo I'll def stock pile for when a more appropriate time comes.

Lord Chrusher wrote:One thing more true in the US than in other countries is how liberals and conservatives listen, watch and read different media outlets, outlets that agree with their world view. This goes part of the way towards explaining how partisan American politics are.

It's so frustrating! I mean I listen to NPR and the BBC while in the car and read the occasional article. I'm not nearly as 'up to date' as I used to be, but every time I listen to a story on the news, or any news coverage. I breath, take a moment, and think, and look at both sides of the issue. If I feel I need more info I seek out the other side of the story. Until I have as clear a view of what's happening. It's difficult to believe how rampant conformation bias is...
^( " )^
winner!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Dec 2012, 12:04

Lord Chrusher wrote:One thing more true in the US than in other countries is how liberals and conservatives listen, watch and read different media outlets, outlets that agree with their world view. This goes part of the way towards explaining how partisan American politics are.
What We Call The News
5 years old, and still ridiculously relevant.
There used to be just a few sources of news to choose from, and everyone watched them. Sure, they'd disagree on the interpretation of the news, but everyone got the same info.
Now, everyone's tuning into their own news and getting whatever news they want to hear and can easily ignore the other side, because it's not shown on the channel they're watching, and they don't care about it anyway.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 05 Dec 2012, 14:39

You might say that the Information Revolution is splintering civilization into small, like-minded enclaves; the American political landscape is just a very visible example of what's happening to human society as a whole... *ponders this*
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 06 Dec 2012, 15:01

I dunno. You can pretty reliably work out someone's political orientation in the UK, for instance, by looking at if they're carrying The Guardian or The Daily Mail. Out here in Sydney, again, you can take a stab based on if they're reading the Sydney Morning Herald or The Telegraph.

I think the greater story is the much cozier, tight relationship between the parties and the media.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Dec 2012, 05:53

Britain is a bit unusual in its wide range of papers.

While I would guess you could say that some one who reads The Age is more likely to vote Labor or Green while a Herald Sun read would vote Liberal I see more of a middle class versus working class split between the Melbourne papers. I could be completely wrong here.

Neither Australia nor Britain has anything quite like Fox News.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 08 Dec 2012, 19:11

Or MSNBC. (Which actually was found in a recent study to be even MORE biased than Fox News.) But I maintain its a variance of degree, not kind.
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 08 Dec 2012, 20:08

JackSlack wrote:Or MSNBC. (Which actually was found in a recent study to be even MORE biased than Fox News.) But I maintain its a variance of degree, not kind.

Really? That kind of surprises me. I know MSNBC is very biased, but I always thought Fox was much worse. If you have a link to the study I'd be interested in taking a look at it.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Dec 2012, 21:18

MSNBC has pretty much given up any pretext of fair and balanced where as Fox entertainment.. I mean news still has a token amount of it, just enough so its viewership can say "see that guy disagrees its not bias"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 08 Dec 2012, 22:35

Drdiggit42 wrote:Really? That kind of surprises me. I know MSNBC is very biased, but I always thought Fox was much worse. If you have a link to the study I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Here you go.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 09 Dec 2012, 12:49

Ha! Points to Gov. Nikki Hale (R-S.C) for her brilliant response to Stephen Colbert.

Stephen, thank you for your interest in South Carolina’s U.S. Senate seat and for the thousands of tweets you and your fans sent me.

But you forget one thing, my friend.

You didn’t know our state drink. Big, big mistake.
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 09 Dec 2012, 17:40

Should we perhaps make this the Politics Thread? That would also expand this thread to all politics, not just US politics.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 09 Dec 2012, 18:26

I think it's a great idea.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 11 May 2013, 18:44

Resurrecting this as the politics thread.

I'm very curious to see if this picks up much traction. TL:DR version: The IRS admitted that it misused its power to illegally target Tea Party groups for audits. As Kevin Drum notes, this is a real deal scandal, genuinely something to get outraged over. And there's evidence that the IRS is trying to deflect a larger level scandal.

So, will conservatives get more outraged over this or over made up stuff? I'd like to hope that we get some real focus on this, but a depressed part of me thinks that the scandal here lacks sizzle, and despite it actually being real, it won't be nearly so much a thing.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Politics Thread

Postby empath » 11 May 2013, 19:27

My Inner Cynic™ says this will get buried because it's a REAL scandal. :(

Pushing him out of the way, My Inner Advocatus Diaboli™ argues that OF COURSE the IRS is going to scrutinize and audit groups that CALL FOR RADICAL TAX REFORM, "what are they trying to hide; if they want to loosen the rules, are they breaking them right now?"

But yeah, this is a SERIOUS black mark on the government and the civil service (an entrenched - and largely appointed - bureaucracy that outlives any given elected official's career or any one administration)...
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 May 2013, 20:48

oh hey i voted today
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 May 2013, 14:34

A good analysis of the current IRS scandal, as ever by Nate Silver.

Return to “General Discussion”