FANGAMER DESERT BUS SHIRTS OH MY GOODNESS

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Re: FANGAMER DESERT BUS SHIRTS OH MY GOODNESS

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Nov 2012, 08:14

TorachiKatashi wrote:If they care about the charity, maybe they should put a little effort in. They did last year; this year, not so much.

I'm sure everything you're saying is true, but that doesn't explain why this year's shirts are so sub-par compared to last year.

What.

The FUCK.

Do you MEAN?

Because you PERSONALLY don't like the designs or the color choices for the shirts, they're "sub-par?" What the hell is PAR for you, your personal clothing style?

Do you even remember what last years' looked like?

This year's are MORE fancy; they have the gradient-wash on the image. I think this years' designs are stunning. If you don't, fine. But don't talk shit about Fangamer. They care a hell of a lot, and I virtually guarantee that if you add up all the money they're going to spend fulfilling orders for these shirts and all the money they spent paying the person who designed them, they're putting 100x more "effort" into Child's Play than you are.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 08:21

He raises a point, though. Didn't FanGamer have DB5 t-shirts in the van when they were doing the race? It is curious why they didn't do the same thing this year as last year and have the shirts already done. Heck, this year, they even have past sales to estimate how many they'd need to run this year.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 14 Nov 2012, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 14 Nov 2012, 08:23

Or even the iconic Welcome to Las Vegas sign :p
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 14 Nov 2012, 08:52

Annnnnd back to happiness!
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2012, 09:17

TorachiKatashi wrote:If they care about the charity, maybe they should put a little effort in. They did last year; this year, not so much.

Reading comprehension F--. See me after class.
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 14 Nov 2012, 09:20

AdmiralMemo wrote:He raises a point, though. Didn't FanGamer have DB5 t-shirts in the van when they were doing the race? It is curious why they didn't do the same thing this year as last year and have the shirts already done. Heck, this year, they even have past sales to estimate how many they'd need to run this year.

I'm pretty sure they were wearing prototype shirts and still had not done an actual run of the shirts. The shirts arrived at the same time last year as they are going to this year I think. IF that's not the case and they DID have shirts pre-printed they probably did run into problems of selling out/too many leftover stock/extra runs. It just makes way more sense to do a pre-order.

Also I'm pretty sure when they gave away that one shirt it was the shirt off his back and the two traded.

I don't honestly know why it's such a big deal not to have the current year DB shirt right now. I think of it as a memento for the event past not something I need to have right now in order to enjoy the show.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Nov 2012, 09:45

If they didn't care about the charity, they'd take a cut of profits at least. They're not. They are donating profits and volunteering their time to ship them.

Last year the shirts nearly broke them, what with the two biggest times to for them (Black Friday and Christmas) happening immediately after DB.

They cleared this with us, for what it's worth.

You don't like the designs, sure, whatever, but you need to gear down with your hate-on for Fangamer.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 14 Nov 2012, 10:06

Graham wrote:They cleared this with us, for what it's worth.

Yeah that's good to know I wasn't sure what this company was all about, considering I was MIA for DB 5.
I can wait for 7! when I'll be out of school and have a real job and able to participate. :D and buy these amazing shirts.
^( " )^
winner!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 10:23

Echi wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:He raises a point, though. Didn't FanGamer have DB5 t-shirts in the van when they were doing the race? It is curious why they didn't do the same thing this year as last year and have the shirts already done. Heck, this year, they even have past sales to estimate how many they'd need to run this year.
I'm pretty sure they were wearing prototype shirts and still had not done an actual run of the shirts. The shirts arrived at the same time last year as they are going to this year I think. If that's not the case and they DID have shirts pre-printed they probably did run into problems of selling out/too many leftover stock/extra runs. It just makes way more sense to do a pre-order.

Also I'm pretty sure when they gave away that one shirt it was the shirt off his back and the two traded.

I don't honestly know why it's such a big deal not to have the current year DB shirt right now. I think of it as a memento for the event past not something I need to have right now in order to enjoy the show.
Not a big deal to me, but I was curious. (Apparently a big deal with TorachiKatashi.) I love their shirts myself and this one is going to be great whenever I get it.

Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 14 Nov 2012, 11:08

Yeah, I can't say I find the shirt design appealing at all either. Last year's was way better. But I'm fine being happy for those who like it and want one :)
#TeamKroze
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2012, 11:16

In the end I'd rather just give the money directly. But hey, if you're going to get a graphic tee anyways, might as well make it this one.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Nov 2012, 11:26

metcarfre wrote:In the end I'd rather just give the money directly. But hey, if you're going to get a graphic tee anyways, might as well make it this one.

You're also not really a t-shirt wearer, so that makes sense. :)
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2012, 11:29

Actually I'm coming back to tees. My wife, uh, really likes it when I wear this one plain heather gray tee-shirt. So I'm looking out for some well-fitting plain tees, probably another gray and a navy next.

I have so much navy stuff. So much.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 14 Nov 2012, 12:02

I like the design well enough to probably buy one, though which colour I'm not sure yet, but I much preferred last years design. I think it's the colour gradient more than anything really, yellow rarely makes for easily legible text unless on a very dark background.

IIRC last year that had a small initial run of a hundred or something, which sold out super fast, so they put up a pre-order for a second run. They kept a couple from the first run for themselves and for in the van for them to give away to any Runners they met.
reidman
First Video: Tucson or Bust

Postby reidman » 14 Nov 2012, 12:45

~COME ON PEOPLE NOW, SMILE ON YOUR BROTHER~

We did indeed buy an early batch last year, followed by a second (much larger) order. Splitting the order added hundreds of dollars in costs which could have otherwise gone to Child's Play, and also generated a *lot* of confusion as to who was going to get their shirts and when.

In order to maximize the Child's Play donation and cut down on customer service chaos, we decided to go straight to preorders this year. If anyone has suggestions for a better system, we're listening!

As for the late shipping date: the holiday schedule at our printer filled up weeks ago, so the shirts won't be in our hands until sometime around the beginning of the year. The early-mid January shipping date will give us just a few working days to pack and ship the 1,000+ orders we're anticipating, so bear with us :)

Thanks for your support guys! We wish we had the time to plan out a Desert Van event this year, but alas. The 3G coverage between here and Vegas hasn't improved, so its not like you'll be missing anything ;D
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 12:59

Sounds great guys. I was just curious about the change. It makes total sense, of course, why you did it differently this year. :)

Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 14 Nov 2012, 14:44

I like both last year's and this year's designs about equally.

I also can't think of any way they could have done things better, given the circumstances. Fangamer's not a massive company, they can't afford to be doing multiple runs when they aren't making any profit on them. And certainly there shouldn't be a rush, since the shirts aren't meant to advertise the event but rather commemorate it, much like the posters.
brb, assaulting children.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Nov 2012, 15:12

I think you hit the nail on the head, they are commemorative not advertising. (per say)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 14 Nov 2012, 17:27

While I'm nowhere near as in love with the design as I was with last year, I still reckon I'm going to pick one up.

If it's the same material as last year's, I'll probably just spend most of the time rubbing it against my face anyway. SO SOFT :D
reidman
First Video: Tucson or Bust

Postby reidman » 14 Nov 2012, 19:20

For the record, these new garments are AA2001, which is 100% cotton -- last year's shirt was BB401, which is 50% cotton / 50% polyester. Same quality manufacturing and everything, just different fabric.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2012, 20:29

Arguably better fabric, in that case.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 14 Nov 2012, 20:44

I also preferred last year's design to this year. A big part of that is shirt colour, since I really liked the red and charcoal (wish I'd bought both) and am not a big fan of yellow/orange/brown. That's just my personal preference, though, and there's no way for Fangamer to make every shirt my OMG favorite evar!!1! Either way, I was seriously impressed with the quality and effort that went into the packaging last year and look forward to seeing what arrives this year.

And some day I will meet the clothing executives who think that I should only wear men's t-shirts, and convince them to change their minds. Possibly with a large stick. :evil:
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 14 Nov 2012, 20:46

I admit to being stunned by those preferring last year's design. I was really underwhelmed by it, and by contrast am strongly considering buying this year's.

Which isn't to say either side is wrong. Or right. But... just, I'm surprised.
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 14 Nov 2012, 20:48

Chemistring wrote:Either way, I was seriously impressed with the quality and effort that went into the packaging last year and look forward to seeing what arrives this year.

Oh man! I completely forgot about the packaging and stuff it came with last year! It was such a lovely surprise I hope they do something similar this year.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Nov 2012, 20:51

I think the difference in preference might be a preference in style of shirt. Last year's seemed more 'classy' as I think someone mentioned. It has a fairly simple yet effective design without much fluff to it. The new one is much more intricate in it's layout. It has more of a 'design' to it if that makes sense. They're very different styles in nature.

Of course, that's all BS I blew from my rear.

Return to “General Discussion”