What's the earliest time a store should play Xmas Music?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

When?

Before Halloween
No votes
Halloween
No votes
All Saint's Day
No votes
November 15th
2%
American Thanksgiving (Also known as the REAL ONE, OHH BURN, not really)
6%
Black Friday
21%
The Monday After Black Friday
4%
December 1
47%
Midway Through December
8%
Later
13%

Total votes: 53
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: What's the earliest time a store should play Xmas Music?

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Nov 2012, 12:53

I think WRBS does a good job of Christmas music: http://www.wrbs.com/
First, no Christmas music before Black Friday. Then, starting on Black Friday, they slowly integrate Christmas music into their normal playlist. By the beginning of December, they have a good mix of regular and Christmas music, transitioning to all Christmas music by the end of the first week of December. Also, they have a very wide selection of Christmas music, so you won't be hearing the same song over and over again. It'd be rare that you hear the same song twice in an hour, and even then, it'd be by two different artists.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Nov 2012, 13:03

I am on hold waiting for a customer service agent from Sony. I am grateful they are not playing Xmas music at me.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 26 Nov 2012, 13:08

Metcarfre wrote:Ol' Blue Eyes singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" gets me every time.

I KNOW. It makes me the strangest mix of sad and happy. And when he hits the high note in the middle... my heart soars. <3
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 26 Nov 2012, 13:09

Never was not an option so I chose 'later'.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Darktan
First Video: The Arms Race

Postby Darktan » 26 Nov 2012, 13:55

Beginning of December seems reasonable. I try to avoid the shops at this time of year anyway, but it's only a matter of time before they figure out they can blast it through their websites as well. At that point my speakers will be heading out the window.
This post is finished. Move along, nothing to see here.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 26 Nov 2012, 14:05

December 24th
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 26 Nov 2012, 17:47

AlexanderDitto wrote:I actually really love Christmas, so I'd say any time after American Thanksgiving (which shouldn't be erased) is fine. December 1st would be a nice start date, but Black Friday is a huge Christmas shopping day for stores so that's probably when it's going to end up being.

The main problem is this:

Lord Hosk wrote:I dont think people really have a problem with christmas as a subject for music... The problem is that there are only like 15 songs that get played over and over for so long. Its worse than when we had top 40 at work, When I was at the hotel for 8 hours at night I would hear the same 10 songs repeated at least 8 times. 8 hours, 3 minutes per song is the average pop song, should be 150-160 songs, nope.

This is ridiculous and unacceptable and stupid. There's no reason this needs to be true, which is why I hold that we should do away with all of this shitty pop christmas music and switch to strictly instrumental/orchestral/standard works. Rotate by hours: one hour can be Christmas-y Classical music, the next can be Jazz interpretations of Christmas tunes, maybe some Dixieland verisions, then an hour of standards. Heck, just play Irving Berlin for an hour.

No human being should have to listen to Feliz Navidad. Ever. How is it not banned under the Geneva convention?! Surely it's a form of torture.

All of this, cause I agree wholeheartedly.

I like Christmas music starting on November 20th (my birthday), but I make the Thanksgiving compromise - which is the Christmas season starts right after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day cause that's when Santa comes into town. Honestly, any Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving week is too early for me. And December 1 is too late.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
karn888
First Video: desert bus year 3

Postby karn888 » 26 Nov 2012, 19:08

personally i dont like how it starts so early i find that by the time Christmas rolls around im just so sick of hearing the music i cant wate for it to stop
empath

Postby empath » 26 Nov 2012, 19:35

Lord Hosk wrote:I don't think people really have a problem with Christmas as a subject for music... The problem is that there are only like 15 songs that get played over and over for so long. Its worse than when we had top 40 at work, When I was at the hotel for 8 hours at night I would hear the same 10 songs repeated at least 8 times. 8 hours, 3 minutes per song is the average pop song, should be 150-160 songs, nope.

This. Oh, so totally this; there's 39 songs on the playlist at the supermarket; I know the words to every fucking one of them; even the two they inserted into it at the beginning of November. (they are nice in that they do cycle songs in and out of the shuffle)

But yeah, it's all chosen to be very slightly insipid and lull the customers into a slightly suggestible, relaxed, willing-to-impulse-buy-more state of mind...for the 1-2 hrs that someone's going through on a grocery run. For us poor saps subjected to it eight hours a day, five days a week? "Fire bad; tree pretty." :P

AlexanderDitto wrote:This is ridiculous and unacceptable and stupid. There's no reason this needs to be true, which is why I hold that we should do away with all of this shitty pop Christmas music and switch to strictly instrumental/orchestral/standard works. Rotate by hours: one hour can be Christmas-y Classical music, the next can be Jazz interpretations of Christmas tunes, maybe some Dixieland versions, then an hour of standards. Heck, just play Irving Berlin for an hour.

No human being should have to listen to Feliz Navidad. Ever. How is it not banned under the Geneva convention?! Surely it's a form of torture.

Fine, YOU go to every proprietor and corporation and holding company, etc. etc. and offer to set this system up on their P.A.'s for them; the REASON they use a cheap, small shuffled playlist is BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP. THEY ARE CHEAP. :(

Oh, and Met? Yeah, it IS a thing up here. ;)
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 26 Nov 2012, 20:44

3 weeks ago, at the Beginning of November I walked into my school's culinary building, and I heard Christmas music. I was horrified. Christmas music shouldn't start until the first at the earliest. Or at least be mixed heavily with good music. I live in Canada. I believe christmas music shouldn't start until it starts snowing. Incidentally, we had snow today, so I'm feeling a little better about having my tree up already (my 3 year-old begged me to do it!)
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
empath

Postby empath » 26 Nov 2012, 21:20

Heck, the store started sneaking up 'holiday-related' signs and the like as of November 1st. :P

...but we're still waiting for the change on the music. (to be honest, it's like Lord Hosk said - I LIKE the first few days, as it's something I haven't been listening to for ages...yet. After a couple of weeks, though.... ;) )
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Nov 2012, 21:29

Wal-mart started selling Christmas stuff even before Halloween. Yeah... That's crap...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 26 Nov 2012, 21:35

I would say two weeks before Christmas would be appropriate. Under no circumstances can it be acceptable when it's not even December yet.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 26 Nov 2012, 22:50

1 December seems fine, but there is a brief period at the end of June/beginning of July, because it's incredibly funny then.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 26 Nov 2012, 23:45

AdmiralMemo wrote:Wal-mart started selling Christmas stuff even before Halloween. Yeah... That's crap...

I walked into a Walgreens around Halloween time and saw them putting up christmas items.

Someone asked if I needed help looking for anything. I said no, and asked why they were putting up Christmas stuff, and not Thanksgiving.

the girl said "Isn't Christmas more important?"

"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 Nov 2012, 02:58

Unless you are in grocery business as a retailer Christmas is the bigger holiday.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Nov 2012, 05:11

Solution; MP3 Player.

(Negative side effect my occure if you are employed at these shops; including loss of job)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 27 Nov 2012, 07:16

empath wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:This is ridiculous and unacceptable and stupid. There's no reason this needs to be true, which is why I hold that we should do away with all of this shitty pop Christmas music and switch to strictly instrumental/orchestral/standard works. Rotate by hours: one hour can be Christmas-y Classical music, the next can be Jazz interpretations of Christmas tunes, maybe some Dixieland versions, then an hour of standards. Heck, just play Irving Berlin for an hour.

Fine, YOU go to every proprietor and corporation and holding company, etc. etc. and offer to set this system up on their P.A.'s for them; the REASON they use a cheap, small shuffled playlist is BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP. THEY ARE CHEAP. :(

A lot of stores just tune their PA systems up to a radio station. All I'd have to do is start a radio station that played music in that way. *Shrugs* That's actually even CHEAPER than a small, shuffled playlist.
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 27 Nov 2012, 11:11

Winter music is exceptable starting the day after Thanksgiving (fourth friday of the month of American November)and can go through most of January. Christmas music, however, should not be played until sometime around December 10-15th and should stop the day after Christmas.

To clarify Winter music consists of: Let it Snow, Baby it's Cold Outside, Sliegh Bells, Jingle Bells (Normal and Rock), Winter Wonderland, etc.

Christmas Music is: Rudolph, Oh Christmas Tree, Rocking Around the Christmas Tree, Little Saint Nick, and anything else mentioning Santa, Christmas, or Jesus
Last edited by KiteNeravar on 27 Nov 2012, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Nov 2012, 11:14

KiteNeravar wrote:Winter music is exceptable starting the day after Thanksgiving

The second Tuesday of October? Really!?!?
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 27 Nov 2012, 11:18

Metcarfre wrote:
KiteNeravar wrote:Winter music is exceptable starting the day after Thanksgiving

The second Tuesday of October? Really!?!?

Hey! no, I said the fourth Friday of November, I made sure to specify that, mostly because I had no Idea when Canadian Thanksgiving is (beyound being somwhere in October).
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Nov 2012, 11:35

YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE EXPLICIT
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 27 Nov 2012, 11:37

Ah, I see your point, I have edited my post to include the word "American"
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Nov 2012, 11:40

GREGORIAN BIAS
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 27 Nov 2012, 12:26

I might be biased but I don't much care for the majority of Christmas music, and wish it were contained to the week surrounding Christmas only.

Although last weekend Waterloo got a lot of snow, so even though Tim Hortons was playing Christmas tunes, I gave it a pass for that reason. Context is important.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Return to “General Discussion”