Do people here listen to podcasts?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ceesheezy
First Video: Unskippable - Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Do people here listen to podcasts?

Postby ceesheezy » 10 Dec 2012, 13:23

I love podcasts because they both entertain me and put up a barrier between me and poor people while on the bus. I'd be interested in hearing if other people also listen and if so to what?
Here's a quick list of some of my favourites:
-MBMBAM
-The Bugle
-Podcastle
-The Pod F Tompkast
-The Minister of Chance
-Comedy Bang Bang
-Stop Podcasting Yourself
-Rhod Gilberts Best Bits
-Thrilling Adventure Hour

I could go on but I fear that would be indulgent. I encourage you guys to check these out and would love some suggestions.
SMOKE BOMB!
and I was never here...
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Re: Do people here listen to podcasts?

Postby Yaxley » 10 Dec 2012, 14:00

I have a lengthy commute and podcasts help make that drive better. So, with the LRRcast being updated sporadically at best, I tend to listen to:

The Nerdist
Limited Resources
The Indoor Kids
Talkin Toons with Rob Paulsen
Pop My Culture
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 10 Dec 2012, 14:06

Have not listened to LRR's podcasts in a while. I'm currently on my third run through of the RoosterTeeth podcasts (195 of them).
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 10 Dec 2012, 14:29

TekDiff - http://www.cayenne.libsyn.com/ (one man comedy. Also does The Account, a modern-fantasy story that pretty good.)

NPR stuff. take your pick

Digital Gonza - geek discussions on geek media. http://gonzogaming.libsyn.com/

Coverville - I loves me some cover songs

PseudoPod - short audio horror stories. http://pseudopod.org/ Some clunkers, a few really good ones. (Jihad over Innsmouth is one of my all times favorites)
@mhasko
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Dec 2012, 14:54

ceesheezy wrote:-MBMBAM
-Comedy Bang Bang
-Stop Podcasting Yourself

All the love for Maximum Fun, but no Jordan, Jesse, Go!, Bullseye, or Judge John Hodgman? For shame!
ceesheezy

Postby ceesheezy » 10 Dec 2012, 16:08

Metcarfre wrote:All the love for Maximum Fun, but no Jordan, Jesse, Go!, Bullseye, or Judge John Hodgman? For shame!

For me JJGo, JJHo and bullseye all have one or two deal-breakers each but I do love International Waters.

Comedy Bang Bang is an Earwolf podcast however. Did you mean Throwing Shade perhaps?

psychopez wrote:PseudoPod - short audio horror stories. http://pseudopod.org/ Some clunkers, a few really good ones. (Jihad over Innsmouth is one of my all times favorites)

You should check out Podcastle and Escape Pod, PseudoPod's Sister podcasts. They're short fantasy and sci-fi stories respectively. Also if you haven't already you should listen to the Machine of Death podcast, it's all the stories from the book but written in sounds!

Yaxley wrote:Talkin Toons with Rob Paulsen

Is this good? I know Rob Paulsen is funny and charming from Pop My Culture but I never bit the bullet and tried listening to one of his own (I wasn't convinced he could hold his own as host). Ever since PMC's Legend's of Voice Acting episode I really started considering it though.
Last edited by ceesheezy on 10 Dec 2012, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
SMOKE BOMB!
and I was never here...
warkface
First Video: Feed Dump: Bad Cops & Strong Pops

Postby warkface » 10 Dec 2012, 16:09

ceesheezy wrote:-The Bugle

Eff you, Chris. :P

Besides the Bugle, I listen to NPR's Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me (the two shows are probably where I get most of my news from, sadly), You Look Nice Today and Freakonomics Radio. I also listen to How to do Everything and This American Life on occasion, though I'm currently not subscribed to either of them.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 10 Dec 2012, 16:12

Lately I've been listening to the following podcasts:

Top Tech by Beej, Ian and Johnny
Escape Pod - Weekly Sci-fi Short Story
and Nerdist
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
ceesheezy

Postby ceesheezy » 10 Dec 2012, 16:14

And a merry Eff you, Chris to you too.

I seem to be missing the boat on these NPR podcasts. I never looked into them because I can't handle sincerity in large doses.
SMOKE BOMB!
and I was never here...
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 10 Dec 2012, 16:28

Kermode and Mayo's film review
Cane and Rinse (really in depth and thoughtful video game discussion)

And... That's it really. If I had somewhere to listen to them other than in bed I'd probably try find a few more.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Dec 2012, 16:32

ceesheezy wrote:
Metcarfre wrote:All the love for Maximum Fun, but no Jordan, Jesse, Go!, Bullseye, or Judge John Hodgman? For shame!

For me JJGo, JJHo and bullseye all have one or two deal-breakers each but I do love International Waters.

Comedy Bang Bang is an Earwolf podcast however. Did you mean Throwing Shade perhaps?

Now I'm curious.

Comedy Bang Bang was heavily promoted on MaxFun 'casts for a while, I thought it was carried by them for a time too.
Garfman
First Video: Failure

Postby Garfman » 10 Dec 2012, 20:18

Rob Paulson can be neat if he's talking to someone cool, but he repeats a lot of the same "It's so great talking to fans" spiel that gets old after a while.

I have lots of fun listening to JJHo, JJGo, and the Nerdist.

I also get all my news from Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.
TheGhostOfZero
First Video: The Job

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 11 Dec 2012, 00:37

I listen to the Escapist podcast every week. Basically where I get most of my news.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Mister Fiend wrote:Does that mean I get to violence someone? Please say yes.
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 11 Dec 2012, 07:55

Same here, I also listen to some Starcraft 2 podcasts like State of the Game.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 11 Dec 2012, 08:31

ceesheezy wrote:
Yaxley wrote:Talkin Toons with Rob Paulsen

Is this good? I know Rob Paulsen is funny and charming from Pop My Culture but I never bit the bullet and tried listening to one of his own (I wasn't convinced he could hold his own as host). Ever since PMC's Legend's of Voice Acting episode I really started considering it though.

It varies by episode, but I find most of them quite funny. My biggest complaint is the production quality on some of them. The episode with Jennifer Hale was so quiet that I could not hear it while driving in my car, even at max volume.
Ringo803
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 11 Dec 2012, 21:24

I'm a big fan of the Giant Bombcast. I'd also have to throw in Polygon's The Besties and Travis McElroy's spin-offcast; In Case of Emergency. Anything else located on the Max Fun Network is fantastic as well.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 11 Dec 2012, 22:40

Film Sack: A bunch of guys watch movies and talk about them. They endeavor to choose films that are available on Netflix streaming, so their listeners can watch it as well with less hassle. The focus is more on fun than on actual criticism or analysis.

Hollywood Babble-on: Ralph Garman makes fun of famous people with some help from Kevin Smith. Quite extremely unsafe for work, but then that's what headphones are for.

Fat Man on Batman: Another Kevin Smith thing, this time he's the host. Kevin talks about Batman with people who've done Bat-related things during their careers.

Tweet Me Harder: The world's first, best, only and last talkback-enabled interactive audio podblast. No longer updates regularly, but the back catalogue is worth a listen. David Malki! and Kris Straub play what I can only describe as a surreal, absurdly long-form improv game.
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 12 Dec 2012, 00:24

Good Job, Brain: trivia podcast, suitable for all ages
Destructoid Podcast: that guy from the Jimquisition, unscripted and unfiltered (NSFW)
The Comedy Button: variable, but sometimes very funny (extremely NSFW)
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 12 Dec 2012, 10:26

Bugle occasionally, I used to listen to the drunk tank, but not anymore. Mostly I listen to radio shows on BBC iPlayer, like the Goon Show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007jqbn/The_Goon_Show_The_Mountain_Eaters/

They were ALWAYS trying to crack up each other

Sample of that episode: (Peter Sellers is playing Gryppetype-Thynne, Harry Secombe is playing Neddie Seagoon)

(Neddie Seagoon walks in the room)

Grypetype: Who are you? Apart from Harry Seacombe?

If you like Armando Iannuchi, he spent a LOT of time writing and producing radio shows, you can find some real gold on there. Also Morcambe and Wise, Dad's Army radio shows, Just a Minute, ISIHaC, Milton Jones' shows etc etc
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Dec 2012, 10:34

ceesheezy wrote:

OHHHH... I get it now.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 12 Dec 2012, 12:03

Ptangmatik wrote:Bugle occasionally, I used to listen to the drunk tank, but not anymore. Mostly I listen to radio shows on BBC iPlayer, like the Goon Show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007jqbn/The_Goon_Show_The_Mountain_Eaters/

They were ALWAYS trying to crack up each other

Sample of that episode: (Peter Sellers is playing Gryppetype-Thynne, Harry Secombe is playing Neddie Seagoon)

(Neddie Seagoon walks in the room)

Grypetype: Who are you? Apart from Harry Seacombe?

If you like Armando Iannuchi, he spent a LOT of time writing and producing radio shows, you can find some real gold on there. Also Morcambe and Wise, Dad's Army radio shows, Just a Minute, ISIHaC, Milton Jones' shows etc etc

The Goon show is awesome, and I do listen to Milton Jones on the iPlayer when I remember. I just wish I could download them to listen to later like I can with the TV iPlayer rather than having to stream them.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 12 Dec 2012, 14:11

Recently I've been listening to some of comedian Bill Burr's Monday podcast. It can make for some funny commentary:

www.billburr.com/podcast
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 13 Dec 2012, 00:57

Keab42 wrote:The Goon show is awesome, and I do listen to Milton Jones on the iPlayer when I remember. I just wish I could download them to listen to later like I can with the TV iPlayer rather than having to stream them.

yeah, its a shame you can only download the Now Show or the News Quiz on the Friday Night Comedy Podcast at the minute, but its better than nothing
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 13 Dec 2012, 16:33

I'll just leave this here...

But yes, BBC Radio comedies are the best.
LonelyAngel
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby LonelyAngel » 18 Dec 2012, 16:28

I listen to the Friday Night Comedy podcast from Radio 4 (I like the News Quiz and The Now Show, although I do like Milton Jones too...), also the RoosterTeeth Podcast, How I Met Your Mother (Updates weekly following a new episode with a half hour interview with the makers of the show), Major Nelson's Podcast, and when they update, the LRRcast.

I also record a weekly podcast discussing games with my friends, the Final Boss Fight Emergency Escape Podcast, which can be found on the site in my sig. Shameless self-promotion...
Check out my new gaming website at: http://www.finalbossfight.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion”