Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Postby empath » 27 Dec 2012, 08:17

"Boxing Week Sales" - because most stores are closed on Dec. 26th, Canadian outlets can't really have 'Boxing Day sales', so their marketeers coined this new holiday to have the blowout sales.

For example, I got paid today :twisted:, so we did our usual bill-paying and grocery shopping (also supermarkets mark down their xmas candy big time :mrgreen: ) and then we went to Best Buy, to get a replacement monitor for my desktop (currently typing this on an old 19" CRT I still had on hand).

I'd already picked out the model, but didn't have the funds after xmas gifts to get it in time...so we threaded through the people clogging the tv section (big screen tvs were going quick) and the tablet sections, and went straight for the spot where it was - and found it was on sale for 10% less than what I expected! Took maybe five minutes to find someone who could use the nearby ladder to grab a sales unit from the top shelf, but then got through the checkout pretty quick (and helped a guy with a 46" tv - lifted the back end of the box for him as we moved up the line :D)

So soon I will have a nice little LED monitor to look at and I can stop getting a crick in my neck from looking to the left of how I have everything set up. ;)

Apart from that, got some shirts, a bundle of nice comfy dress socks for work, new soft and cushy slippers, another steel water bottle, a pocket multitool to replace the keychain one I had that literally fell apart, and a pile of Steam sale games that should tide me over through about half of 2013. :mrgreen:
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Dec 2012, 08:27

Oh, and the wife's parents were kind enough to give us a second monitor they weren't using. And she got some of her late grandmother's jewelry that had been hung up with some of the estate issues.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 Dec 2012, 09:58

@empath The not being able to open on Boxing Day is an east coast thing.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 27 Dec 2012, 09:59

A belated Merry Ex-Moose to all!

So I got, in no particular order:

- Deathscythe gundam model kit
- Crossbone gundam model kit
- Plushie of Link from LoZ
- Lego (from boyfriend)
- 2 pairs of really warm woolly gloves
- A ton of socks
- Couple pairs of jammies
- "Nottingham Ezreal" skin in League of Legends (from ex)
- 2 boxes of kinder surprises
- 1 box of After Eights
- 2 chocolate oranges
- 1 small snowflake-shaped tea-light holder
- $70

The gundam models were expected since my mum asked me to make a list of ones I wanted, though I wasn't expecting to receive two. Waiting until I get back to uni town to assemble them though, I'll need something to do on the weekends. The Ezreal skin was not expected either since I'd expressed my love of Nottingham Ezreal but then I broke up with my ex, so him getting me a Christmas present was really unexpected and hit me right in the feels. He acted kinda cold about it though.

Then my parents also agreed to pay for me buying:

- Borderlands
- Borderlands 2
- L.A. Noire
- Scribblenauts Unlimited

off Steam because they'd never risk trying to pick out games for me.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 27 Dec 2012, 10:09

Some gifts I was expecting, like the Nexus 7, and the gift from my brother for which the hints I dropped were like concrete blocks. Other gifts, like the one from my uncle, were entirely unexpected and quite wonderful - apparently he bought a Dungeons and Dragons Basic Box set waaaay back in the 80's and never played it much. Now it is mine. :D
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Dec 2012, 11:21

@Auber eeehhh I have to dispute your choice of Deathscythe... I just had a delivery of Kyrios and Virtue which means I only need 3 more to complete my 00 Gundam collection :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Dec 2012, 11:51

Lord Chrusher wrote:@empath The not being able to open on Boxing Day is an east coast thing.

Not necessarily, the stores here were open yesterday. It varies more from province to province.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 27 Dec 2012, 19:16

Geoff_B wrote:@Auber eeehhh I have to dispute your choice of Deathscythe... I just had a delivery of Kyrios and Virtue which means I only need 3 more to complete my 00 Gundam collection :D

Well I was making a list off a specific website which did not stock either of those, so I beseech thee to forgive me, O Master. :P

Also, Virtue? ... Meh.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 28 Dec 2012, 01:26

I just think the Wing designs are too cheesy but that's probably just me :P 00 all the way :D

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 28 Dec 2012, 04:04

Master Gunner wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:@empath The not being able to open on Boxing Day is an east coast thing.

Not necessarily, the stores here were open yesterday. It varies more from province to province.

Yeah, the radio DJ said pretty much the same thing when I was coming home from work last night. Was talking about how Nfld. forbids stores from being open on the 26th, as opposed to other provinces like Ontario or B.C.

...then went into news about the 'fun' that people in Vancouver had with the Boxing Day sales - massive traffic jams and people calling 911 because they were getting trapped in parking lots for upwards of an hour.

Yeah, we Newfies are quaint and old-fashioned...and a little smug about it, too. :roll:
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 28 Dec 2012, 05:34

We had shops open for boxing day sales. general strike on the London Underground, and this happened

yay london

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Dec 2012, 07:29

This is why I never go outside.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 28 Dec 2012, 14:13

On Boxing Day I made it as far as my friends for the Zombie Dice drinking game they have developed.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 16:53

See Boxing Day is great if you like sport, since there are plenty of sporting events on Boxing Day. So I stay in and watch a great day of football (4 great matches and my team won) with my feet up and a cup of tea in my hand while I laugh at the Facebook updates of people who are stuck in the Boxing Day sales.

And the stupid thing is that a lot of the sales often last until the new year, so I never understand the rush for Boxing Day. : /
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 28 Dec 2012, 17:05

Also if you are a fan of cricket you had the Boxing Day Test. However it, like Boxing Day sales, goes on for days. However this years Test was a forgettable one for the Sri Lankan visitors as they lost by an innings and 201 runs.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 17:11

My local cricket club ('cos I live in a village yo!) used to always have a Boxing Day cricket match. But they didn't do this year because of recent struggles to afford to open the club off season, or something like that.

Which is really kinda sad, since it really was a tradition that existed for over 25 years.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Dec 2012, 12:20

Second Christmas; odds and sods of candy, beer, and food, Lego, a campstove, fluted flan dish, cookbook, rubber band airplane, brown wool tie, Dutch soccer jersey. And a Groupon from my folks for a nice boutique hotel night out.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 02 Jan 2013, 20:57

I got a few boxes of candy, a bunch of gift cards, an MLP t-shirt, an MTG Holiday Gift Box from the BF, new sneakers, a bottle of homemade Coquito (Puerto Rican style eggnog), and some lottery tickets.

Oh yeah, AND A FREAKIN XBOX!

This is a big deal for me, because I haven't had a console since I was in 2nd grade with the NES. So now I have an account for XBox Live, but I need both friends and more games (currently have Just Dance 3, Dance Central, Saints Row 2, and the Kinect titles the thing was shipped with.) So I will need to connect you all with my account, and also if you have any suggestions for good games to play, that would be helpful.

Return to “General Discussion”