What Apps to get for Android??

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

What Apps to get for Android??

Postby Jenelmo » 23 Jan 2013, 15:00

I have just got my self mt first tablet (Nexus 7) and was wondering if there was any Apps/Games that people could suggest and if people would give a description i would be very thankful

PS.I think i have seen a thread like this but could not find it.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Re: What Apps to get for Android??

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 23 Jan 2013, 15:13

Kairosoft do a few good games. Although they've only got one free full English game, another free full one in Japanese and "lite" versions (basically trail versions) for all their others.

They're all management sort of games. Not the best, but entertaining enough to pass a few hours on a boring journey with little to do. Good retro graphics.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 23 Jan 2013, 16:00

I like Aldiko, it's got a reasonable library of free ebooks. For that matter grab the Amazon Kindle app as well.

Beyond that I'm a little outdated on good apps for Android devices as my poor Wildfire has been used to test a few too many dev apps that have lodged undeletable files in normally inaccessible folders and clogged up the memory
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Jan 2013, 16:53

Get whatever app is compatible with your local library. Free books!
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 23 Jan 2013, 19:23

Tetris is a classic.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 Jan 2013, 19:44

Minecraft perhaps? I'm not a huge fan of the Android version, but it's not bad.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 24 Jan 2013, 15:24

Tanks for the suggestions i am going to look into those

Metcarfre wrote:Get whatever app is compatible with your local library. Free books!

Unfortunally my library only has "real" books, and does not work with any app
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 25 Jan 2013, 03:07

I'd suggest Super Hexagon but it apparently does not like the Nexus 7 very much.. (input lag on a twitchy action game is bad)

So instead something completely different: Splice!. It is a.. "Simple" puzzle game. You move pieces around to fit into a predetermined outline, in as few moves as possible. The tricky part is that the pieces are arranged in a binary tree and you generally only have 1-6 moves to reach your goal.

It has a pretty fantastic aesthetic to it, and the soundtrack is absolutely wonderful. It is the only "pure" puzzle game (not mixed with platforming or shooting) I've ever managed to finish. Of course by "finish" I mean got to the credits, unlocked the epilogue and now I've got another 30 puzzles to do .

Sadly there is no trial or demo for the Android version, but there is a PC demo available on Steam where the game is roughly 3x the price of the android version, despite being exactly the same. Stupid PC markup.

Also, though your library might not offer them, you can still get Free books! via Google Play. Admittedly they are all public domain, but the classics are classic for a reason.
and now; back to me.
allonewordnospaces
First Video: The Basement

Postby allonewordnospaces » 29 Jan 2013, 05:15

If you like podcasts try the BeyondPod app. It's free and pretty good.

Sometimes I don't re-read my posts and I leave out.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 31 Jan 2013, 08:52

Draw -- a simple draw with your finger app. Useful for impromptu signs
Games -- Flow, Amazing Alex, Simple Physics.
ezPDF Reader -- pay for it, best PDF reader I've used on the Nexus 7.
KeepScore -- simple app used to keep score for all types of games.
@mhasko
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 31 Jan 2013, 09:43

I highly recommend picking up the Amazon Android app store. Its another app store and there is a decent amount of overlap with the Play store, but it has the added bonus of offering a single paid app for free, refreshing each day at midnight. Admittedly its a rather mixed bag and you're about as likely to get something useless or pointless as you are of getting something worth having, but at the low low price of free, I don't see that as much of an issue!

In terms of games, I'd rate Mobage's line of social ports quite highly. Admittedly they're all of the variety that require you to wait not inconsiderable amounts of time between actions, but they're free and offer nice short bursts of entertainment on a frequent enough basis to be bearable. Additionally the Mobage social overlay is quite good, allows you to use a single currency for all of their in app purchases, and regularly offer small amounts of currency for trying out their other games (which you can install, sign into and then delete).
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 31 Jan 2013, 11:12

Also, though I play it on my phone and it's in a closed beta at the moment, install Ingress and request an invite if you live in a relatively populated area.
@mhasko

Return to “General Discussion”