Return of Who's Line Is It Anyway.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Return of Who's Line Is It Anyway.

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2013, 18:32

And Ms. Tyler's got some relevant experience - she's part of the panel on "The Talk"; from those times when it's on in the breakroom and I don't have control of the remote, she seems a good 'Abbott' to some of the other girls' 'Costello's (and she gets her share of jokes in herself).

I find ABC's WLIIA was great - ya miss Mike & Josie doing a duet? You got Wayne Brady; you've STILL got the Colin & Ryan team/bromance; Greg's still giving the host shit :) and almost all the regulars on this show were regulars on the old show.

It's just that Drew was wasted in the host's chair - he deserved to be a 'contestant'. He was GREAT when he would take the 'winner's' place on the panel and do something like World's Worst... or Scenes From A Hat.

As great as it would be to have Paul Merton on the panel,I know he's got his own thing going (quite well) now. Another panelist I'd hope for (but not hold my breath) is Tony Slattery. 8)
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 03 Mar 2013, 18:45

If they ever do it in the UK again, they need to have Ross Noble on. He'd be perfect.
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 03 Mar 2013, 19:12

That's who she is? Now I really hope Jon Benjamin shows up for an episode or two
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 03 Mar 2013, 20:44

Hopefully they'll be able to bring in a lot of current comedians and performers as weekly guests. I just hope they don't try to bring in people who don't know anything about comedy or performing improv, just because they're celebrities.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Mar 2013, 01:56

Genghis Ares wrote:Hopefully they'll be able to bring in a lot of current comedians and performers as weekly guests. I just hope they don't try to bring in people who don't know anything about comedy or performing improv, just because they're celebrities.

Then again, on the British version of "Thank God You're Here" (similar to Whose line, but more dazzy), we had Fern Briton who was rather good at improv. Then again, there was also quite a bit of crap from none-comedians too.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 04 Mar 2013, 03:05

I like Drew Carey a lot, but I never liked him as the host.
The whole point system on the UK version was delightfully dry and ridiculous, but Drew's "points don't matter" thing was basically explaining the joke. Didn't care for it.

Regardless, I will accept ANY of these people.

Additional, Drew was great as a participant on Green Screen Show.
empath

Postby empath » 04 Mar 2013, 03:58

That was the other thing I wasn't fond of ABC's WLIIA, but I'm convinced that was an executive decision from on high "so that our simple-minded peon audience won't get confused when the joke goes over their heads" :P
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Mar 2013, 05:18

The odd scoring system was what made it continuously amusing. See QI.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Mar 2013, 11:48

QI actually does have a scoring system, but it requires university-level understanding of matrix algebra and a decent computer to understand the thing.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 04 Mar 2013, 13:34

Didn't Aisha Tyler host The Soup?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Mar 2013, 16:24

I thought the British version was too dry for my tastes, and I even usually like British humor. I liked the American version better. However, just the Colin/Ryan synergy was great, and add in Wayne Brady to that mix, and you find that anyone else is just filler and can be ignored. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 04 Mar 2013, 18:19

I prefer the Am. version to the Brit Version, but I must say I do miss the British intro...

zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 05 Mar 2013, 04:07

Despite being British, I must admit I did prefer the American remake of Whose Line, as my intense dislike of Clive Anderson severely hindered my ability to appreciate the British version, although I would definitely love to see the comedians and comediennes from the British version make more of an appearance on this latest remake.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 05 Mar 2013, 06:45

hooray! I don't have TV anymore, but when Whose Line was on the first time, it did drive a few extra people out to improv shows. It'd be a nice bump to get for our performances, as long as they don't immediately leave when they see that it's not short form. Plus so many more best of clips on Youtube.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 06 Mar 2013, 07:22

38 replies to the original post, and no one's pointed out that it's Whose Line, not "who is" line.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Mar 2013, 08:08

yet many people typed whose.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 06 Mar 2013, 11:28

I liked the American version better if for now other reason than the interaction between Ryan, Colin and Drew. We'll see how much chemistry Aisha has with the cast whoever that turns out to be. While I wasn't a big fan of the song numbers, overall, I never stopped marveling at how Wayne Brady could rhyme off the top of his head like that. It was the only thing in Improv classes where I was completely, utterly dreadful.

I wouldn't mind some fresh blood with the other rotating cast members. By the very end of the run, it was pretty stale and adding random celebs definitely didn't help matters.

Given how content Stiles appears to be with his own theater, I do wonder why he would go back to do the television show again. He can't possibly need the money after Drew Carey. Regardless, I don't think it could be done without him onboard.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 13 May 2013, 16:31

LogicSword wrote:If they ever do it in the UK again, they need to have Ross Noble on. He'd be perfect.

Yes. Yes and Yes. Again, yes. Also yes. I believe I've made my point clear.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Then again, on the British version of "Thank God You're Here" (similar to Whose line, but more dazzy), we had Fern Briton who was rather good at improv. Then again, there was also quite a bit of crap from none-comedians too.

Ah, Thank God You're Here.. Started here in Australia by arguably our greatest sketch/improv comedy television production, Working Dog! Rob Sitch, Tony Martin, Tom Gleisner, Santo Cilauro and Shane Bourne are brilliant. :D

When I first found out about it (episodes apparently started taping over the last few weeks), I was initially sceptical of Aisha Tyler's involvement.. After her Ubisoft E3 presenting gig being rather.. Meh. But she's also on Archer, and a pretty damn good stand-up, and a rather dedicated gamer, so I'm pretty happy about it.

Wayne, Colin, Ryan and most importantly, Jeff Davis, are definitely confirmed. Not sure if Greg Proops is back too, but there's a few others that were more recent (like Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza show, etc)..
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 May 2013, 10:25

I love Aisha Tyler.

Just putting that out there.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 16 May 2013, 08:09

I don't know if people has seen it but the first trailer/clip has been released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2BNMuKaums
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 16 May 2013, 14:06

King Kool wrote:I love Aisha Tyler.

Just putting that out there.

+1
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 16 May 2013, 14:58

Jenelmo wrote:I don't know if people has seen it but the first trailer/clip has been released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2BNMuKaums

Welp, I'm on board! :D Jonathan Mangum's involved now, and he was amazing on Green Screen Show.. Jeff Davis and Brad Sherwood (Brad has been a duo with Colin for years after Whose Line..) are also most likely back (Jeff's already confirmed!), Proops is.. Highly likely.

And having seen the clip.. I like seeing Aisha in the hosting chair. She's natural, and again, she's a comedy nerd, which is nice. That J-Pop song from Wayne.. Just perfect..

Bring on July!
empath

Postby empath » 16 May 2013, 17:58

Colin: You stole my one!

:D

Dammit, I'm gonna have to bug the landlord into getting a cable package that includes the CW! :P
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 18 May 2013, 13:23

Who else is happy to see Laura Hall & Linda Taylor back? Their musical versatility is a big part of what makes Wayne's awesome skits so much better than just random noise.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
ad134

Postby ad134 » 19 May 2013, 06:30

Considering the recurring bald jokes in the US Whose Line, having a spambot post in here about hair is hilarious.

Return to “General Discussion”