Desert Cache for Hope?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RoentgeniumFinger

Desert Cache for Hope?

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 14 Mar 2013, 09:28

Hey everyone. I am not a very active poster (just look at my post count. it's deplorable), but I am a loooooong time lurker and fan. One of the first things that grabbed my attention was Desert Bus. It's amazing what you guys do, and I've wanted to contribute something meaningful for a few years, but nothing's ever worked out. But today, an idea hit. I recently got into Geocaching. What is it? the short version is that it's a massive, world-wide treasure hunt. there are two million containers hidden on every continent (even Antarctica) for people to find. Inside is a log book for the finder to sign, and usually some trinkets of varying value for people to take, provided they leave something in return. An exception to this rule are items that have the specific purpose of travelling to a specific location. You can probably see where I am going with this.

What I would like to do is send a small, relatively inexpensive camera with the DB7 logo on it to Victoria through these caches. At every stop, the person who picks it up will have to take a picture of themselves and the cache (emailing it to me just in case of theft/damage/corruption), and on the website where you can track it, write a short story about the adventures the camera has been on. The intended goal will be for it to arrive nearby the Moonbase by Desert Bus 7. that's 8 months or so away. Totally doable. And, for every stop along the way, I will donate $1 up to a maximum of $100. And maybe you guys can do something special with the photos once it gets there.

"BUT WAIT!" you say. "Why are you wasting time telling us this, and not sending it off straight away?" Good question. The answer is... I don't know where to send it. As I am unaware of where the Moonbase is, I can't punch in an address and find the closest cache for it's goal. Using your coffee supplier, The Parsonage, as a reference point, and a bit of luck with Google Street View in finding the "BUILD TO SUIT" vacant lot where Moonbases 1 and 2 were once located, I think I found a good one that's big enough for a camera, but as I'm not from the area, I don't know how accurate this is. So, if someone who knows were the Moonbase is could punch it into the search bar at http://www.geocaching.com/ and send me the info on a cache that's at least Size 3 and easy to find for pickup, I can get the camera out there, and hopefully make some children happy.

The Cache I think was closest/most appropriate was this one: GC17DEJ
Dominic Appleguard

Re: Desert Cache for Hope?

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 14 Mar 2013, 09:53

This is a cool idea! How far do we figure this thing can travel? Figure it could start at the Atlantic?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 14 Mar 2013, 09:54

The moonbase's address accidentally got posted on the forum for the 'That's No Moon' video discussion; whilst they've taken the address down, the postal code is still there. I'm not sure if that will help you
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 14 Mar 2013, 10:17

Dominic Appleguard wrote:This is a cool idea! How far do we figure this thing can travel? Figure it could start at the Atlantic?

I was going to start it in a cache that I am going to place about a 20 minute walk from my house. I'm in Maine, which is on the Atlantic coast, but the specific location is a bit inland. but the approx distance is 3,500 miles. The actual distance covered may be more, depending on zig-zagging from cache to cache.

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:The moonbase's address accidentally got posted on the forum for the 'That's No Moon' video discussion; whilst they've taken the address down, the postal code is still there. I'm not sure if that will help you

The postal code will get me a general area, but not specific enough. Assuming postal codes work the same way in Canada as they do the US, of which I am 99% sure. Like I said, I got the address for a few places they've made mention are around the Moonbase, and found a tentative cache that seems big enough and has a name that is completely appropriate. Alternatively, someone can hide one just outside the Moonbase, but that may cause more problems than it'd fix.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Mar 2013, 11:09

Is the moonbases address supposed to be secret?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 14 Mar 2013, 12:25

I thought it was "1 Lunar Street, The Moon."
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Mar 2013, 13:11

What exactly is the postal code for the moon though?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 Mar 2013, 04:33

Canadian postal codes are quite precise. I think you could get close enough with the postal code.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 Mar 2013, 08:30

Yeah, typically they cover one side of a one-to-two block length of street. Nonetheless, maybe PM someone on the Crew and arrange things - let them decide on a good cache to select for the ultimate destination (this way they can choose one that might be handy to check on the way to work, or the like), and naturally so they know what's going on and will know to look for it. ;)

But yeah, this is a FANTASTIC idea; I doubt I'd ever see this come my way, seeing as I'm about right-angles to your intended direction of travel and across an overnight ferry ride. ;) Nonetheless, I support the idea however I can! Image
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Mar 2013, 16:09

I agree giving the crew a heads up would be great, I didnt know the moonbases location was super secret, they put the street address on every merchandise order package they sent out for the past three years and on every desert bus prize for the same time frame.

But, in the interest of keeping it secretish. They are located relatively close to Central Park in Victoria you can use that for a point of reference for you search for caches.

Central Park
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 15 Mar 2013, 18:53

... I never thought of the return address on a merch order. I found the one I saved, since someone on the crew defaced it. I already sent an email off and am waiting for a reply, but now punching it in, it seems like the best one to use is the one I mentioned earlier, as its the biggest. I'll wait on a confirmation email, but at least this gives me something to go on.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 16 Mar 2013, 03:50

I would assume the crew don't particularly mind their customers having the address. It's probably more about not wanting it visible to the entire damn internet and every loon on it.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 16 Mar 2013, 03:53

Yeah, that's what I was going to say about (repeatedly) posting it on the webcrawler-searchable public forums - our gracious patrons have enough trouble with spam bots just in cyberspace. ;)
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 20 Mar 2013, 10:30

Today, I got the Trackable tag to attach to the camera, but unfortunately, I have not received an email from anyone I emailed about setting this up. I don't want to wait long, as it may take quite a while to make it across the continent... even THIS early in the year is pushing it, but I I send it off and they say "No, During Desert Bus, we won't have the time to go out and grab it" or "Yes, but go to THIS dropoff point" after it's goal has already been set to a different location will make things so much more complicated than it needs to be. Does anyone have a suggestion of WHO I should have emailed, or should I just tweet at them with this thread URL so they get the whole story?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Mar 2013, 10:40

Just set it and go. SOMEONE in Victoria can pick it up when it gets there.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 20 Mar 2013, 11:07

I'll do that, then. With how crowded the moonbase got during this past year, SOMEONE will want some fresh air in Market Square (as I assume it's called... oh crap, I rhymed.)

For reference, here is the Trackable's info. I'll be updating the info on it before I send it out, and maybe update here when it makes a significant or entertaining stop.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4780392
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 26 Mar 2013, 09:53

This seems like a pretty cool idea. I hope it is successful.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Apr 2013, 20:10

Dude. I have that same exact camera model and color. Wild!
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”