Strip Search's ultimate power to make Desert Bus 7 awesomer

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Strip Search's ultimate power to make Desert Bus 7 awesomer

Postby Lancer » 15 May 2013, 01:17

So now that Desert Bus 7's Craft-along has been announced and Strip Search is over half way through, I feel like I should try to pass on an idea of how big of a splash Strip Search is making in the webcomics community and how amazing it would be to utilize some of that splash to make Desert Bus 7 more awesome.

Desert Bus has had a lot of big names pop up over the years, whether in auctions or call-ins. Bill Amend of Foxtrot made a comic about Desert Bus. Johnathan Coulton, Wil Wheaton, Grant Imahara, and Yahtzee Croshaw all had amazing call-ins during DB6. The mere mention of Notch can break the chat. Big names have been a big part of Desert Bus over the years, and Strip Search drew the attention of quite a few big names in the webcomic world.

Let's start with Cube Watermelon, of Kiwi Blitz fame. She might technically count as part of the extended Penny Arcade empire since she does the art for The Trenches these days, but anyways, she's no small fry and she's become a quick friend to all of the contestants, joining in on stuff like the Strip Search D&D campaign and generally making friends with the whole gang. She's a fun one and she'd probably be more than happy to contribute something to Desert Bus.

Then there's Aaron Diaz, of the absolutely magnificent Dresden Codak, which I would pretty much say is the greatest webcomic that almost never updates. He also got quite a bit of attention when he came up with the idea of The Legend of Zelda: Clockwork Empire. He's been twittering around with the contestants and expressing his interest in the series. He's generally an awesome guy and makes awesome art. Even a bit of signed merch or a sketch would make for an awesome addition to Desert Bus.

And last but certainly not least: Zach Weinersmith is evidently a big fan. He runs the very well known webcomic called Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (Or SMBC comics for short). He's the sort of guy who could cause a jump in donations just by mentioning Desert Bus, but he's also the sort of cool guy who LRR could probably get to do a call in or somesuch.

This may seem like a bit of a silly post, but as a webcomic fan I'd love to see some of these folks get involved with Desert Bus this year, and with them being Strip Search fans that's all the more reason for them to join in the fun! Between some of these big name fans, LRR's freshly tempered bond with the Penny Arcade empire, and the new bond forged with the 12 contestants of Strip Search, I could easily see Desert Bus 7 filling up to the brim with webcomicky fun stuffs.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Strip Search's ultimate power to make Desert Bus 7 aweso

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 May 2013, 01:49

Abby had a fangasm when Zach completed her win against Erika. I loled.

Personally, I had just be happy with some of the SS artists themselves showing up or calling in. If we can get Team Amerika in the moonbase, I will die of excitement. Seriously. We need to get those two in a video together.
Image Image Image
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 15 May 2013, 02:01

How about a live 90 minute challenge with subjects chosen by the chat?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 May 2013, 02:10

Geoff_B wrote:How about a live 90 minute challenge with subjects chosen by the chat?

Whilst driving the Desert Bus.
Lancer

Postby Lancer » 15 May 2013, 02:12

Geoff_B wrote:How about a live 90 minute challenge with subjects chosen by the chat?

I like this idea... Or perhaps a more rough sketchy style show. "Whose Strip is it Anyways?"
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 May 2013, 03:17

Like "Draw rejected LRR Merchandise"?
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 15 May 2013, 03:28

"Draw Season One" :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 May 2013, 06:24

I am acquainted with Zach Weinersmith, he's a very nice guy (he once crashed at my apartment when he was in Philly). He'a also good friends with Phil Plait who called in last year. I'm sure he'd call in to Desert Bus, the crew should definitely reach out to him.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 May 2013, 06:59

The best thing Desert Bus could do, re: Strip Search, is to pretend it never happened. The notion that the people who run Desert Bus (AND Child's Play) have participated in senseless international cruelty and humiliation makes me think if they were present in the same event, they would cancel each other out like antimatter.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 May 2013, 07:06

I thought senseless international cruelty and humiliation was what made Desert Bus so successful. As Graham has said charity and spite are a powerful combination.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 May 2013, 07:12

King Kool wrote:participated in senseless international cruelty and humiliation

We get that you hate the show and that's fine, but this level of hyperbole is unbecoming, and frankly insulting to those involved with the production, particularly those artists who have clearly stated that their lives were improved because of their participation.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 15 May 2013, 07:56

King Kool wrote:The best thing Desert Bus could do, re: Strip Search, is to pretend it never happened. The notion that the people who run Desert Bus (AND Child's Play) have participated in senseless international cruelty and humiliation makes me think if they were present in the same event, they would cancel each other out like antimatter.

While I kind of actually agree with King Kool (seriously, I've barely seen a damn bit of difference to any other dumb reality show..) All the lame tropes are there.. And Abby is excruciatingly annoying to watch. Stereotypical reality show contestant.. :/

But eh, Strip Search is a Penny Arcade thing. Desert Bus is a Child's Play thing, which is a Penny Arcade thing. It's inevitable.. I mean, respect to the artists that had "lives change" because of it, that's neat, but it's just so over-the-top and.. Meh..
Last edited by MattAn on 15 May 2013, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 May 2013, 07:56

Lord Chrusher wrote:I thought senseless international cruelty and humiliation was what made Desert Bus so successful. As Graham has said charity and spite are a powerful combination.

...touché.
a winner is you. - Ash
Lancer

Postby Lancer » 17 May 2013, 21:56

For some reason whenever I make a thread it inspires some level of hatred towards at least one of the topics .-.

Anyways, even if they want to distance themselves from strip search, getting involved with some awesome web cartoonists could really help bolster the views and, more importantly, the money for the children. I know I'd certainly love to see Zach Weinersmith call in.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 May 2013, 01:10

Lancer wrote:For some reason whenever I make a thread it inspires some level of hatred towards at least one of the topics .-.

Anyways, even if they want to distance themselves from strip search, getting involved with some awesome web cartoonists could really help bolster the views and, more importantly, the money for the children. I know I'd certainly love to see Zach Weinersmith call in.

No, it's not your fault. King Kool just has a ridiculous, unpopular opinion re:Strip Search. You can disregard his vitriol.

There's no reason LRR would distance themselves from Strip Search during Desert Bus, any more than they would distance themselves from Feed Dump. I am almost certain we'll see at least one (and likely far more than one) call-in from Strip Search artists. It'd be a waste not to!
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 May 2013, 02:08

I'm glad King Kool doesn't like it. It just means more Strip Search goodness for us. It's all ours and he can't have it. I don't know about you guys, but I want to roll in it.

I just don't see how you can call the show cruel, as it gives 12 very deserving cartoonists the fanbase they so desperately need. Even if they don't win a prize, they all have still won.

I hope some of the contestants donate auction/giveaway items. That'd be rad as shit. The kind that has absorbed a large amount of radiation.
Image Image Image
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 18 May 2013, 05:35

Sieg Reyu wrote:I just don't see how you can call the show cruel, as it gives 12 very deserving cartoonists the fanbase they so desperately need. Even if they don't win a prize, they all have still won..

OK, how many American Idol winners can you name? Not contestants. WINNERS.

I know Graham has said he's keeping the editorializing to a minimum, but participating in a reality show (at least as a contestant) is to lose the ability to portray your own identity. In competition shows, it's less of a problem, but there may very well be some incidents on the show that aren't being portrayed fairly, or a conversation with its feeling changed.

I have made the metaphor before, but it bears repeating: participating in a reality show as "yourself" is the closest thing we have in this world to selling your soul. You lose your identity, possibly trading it in for a tawdry untrue version of yourself, for some earthly reward that can't really be worth it.

Competition shows like Strip Search are not a great example of this, but nevertheless I stand by it. Participation in them cannot be worth fracturing the one thing we wave for sure; your identity.

If you like it, fine. That is your severe deficiency. I won't judge you for it. But don't you stand there and be smug about it. In a previous era, you would be in a bullfighting arena, watching a 30's dance marathon or throwing shillings at a bear-bating event. I will not be condescended to by you.
a winner is you. - Ash
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 May 2013, 05:58

I LIKE STRIP SERCH

It's like a public pro-longed musical chairs. Where the participants enjoy themselves 'dancing' in between the moment they all must claim a chair.

Perhaps you were watching SoulSearch where 12 participants compete in challenges to retain their humanity.

Please take your hatred for the show to a more appropriate thread. I don't see why discussing an idea which we'd like for Desert Bus is warrants hatred on Strip Search. There are things I don't like about Desert Bus or things that ring in/contribute but I stay quiet.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 18 May 2013, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 18 May 2013, 06:39

EDIT: The point has been made and to discourage thread derailment, the post has vanished "o-o-o" *spooky noise*
Last edited by ZePancakes on 18 May 2013, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 May 2013, 06:43

I personally would be throwing shillings at people's faces with force. But that's personal entertainment and not reality tv.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 May 2013, 11:58

King Kool wrote:If you like it, fine. That is your severe deficiency. I won't judge you for it. But don't you stand there and be smug about it. In a previous era, you would be in a bullfighting arena, watching a 30's dance marathon or throwing shillings at a bear-bating event. I will not be condescended to by you.

Kool, you know I have had nothing but the utmost respect for you in the past. It is unfortunate it had to come to this end.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath

Postby empath » 18 May 2013, 12:17

King Kool wrote:

That is your severe deficiency. I won't judge you for it.

Wow, the paradox just HURTS to look at even from this distance.

But don't you stand there and be smug about it.

Examples to justify this statement, please. Who exactly is being 'smug' about watching a webshow? Who's rubbing YOUR face in it? Honestly?

Seriously, KK - you're gonna have to explain yourself pretty good, because it's starting to look like you're transferring some serious issues onto unrelated people.

As for the REALLY broad brush you tarred SS with, I'd also like you to give *specific* examples of where contestants on THAT show (not any other 'reality tv' tripe that you have watched in the past) that supports your claim that the artists that appeared on Strip Search gave up their identities, or traded it in for "a tawdry untrue version".

INDEED, show me examples where ANY of the Strip Search contestant artists were portrayed by the show in ways that run counter to their previous or current online identities?

I'm waiting.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 18 May 2013, 12:17

If they could get two artists, people could bid on giving a 'theme' for a 90 minute challenge.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 18 May 2013, 12:23

Also, I think all the contestants made their DC26 Identity saves, so it's all good.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 May 2013, 18:25

empath wrote:
Examples to justify this statement, please. Who exactly is being 'smug' about watching a webshow? Who's rubbing YOUR face in it? Honestly?

To be fair, I think Sieg was a bit condescending and/or smug with this statement:

Sieg Reyu wrote:I'm glad King Kool doesn't like it. It just means more Strip Search goodness for us. It's all ours and he can't have it. I don't know about you guys, but I want to roll in it.

That's a bit rude in my opinion. It gives off a vibe of "most people like this, so you're wrong because you don't" to me. Though I highly doubt that was the original intent. Mind you, I don't think it's worth the rage that seems to be behind the response. But at the same time I don't think he was coming from nowhere with it.

That said, I don't really agree with Kool on this matter. Mostly because a lot of what he seemed to say appears to be generalizations about reality TV that is being put onto Strip Search since it is officially in that category. Reality TV, at least how Strip Search is done, doesn't seem to dissipate the artists' actual identity to me. At least not in any way that isn't the same as, say, Commodore Hussle is to the LRR crew.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will always think of the artists from this point on as they appeared on the show. But given that none of them are being given much of a 'negative' persona, I don't think that that's necessarily a bad thing. As long as you aren't putting on a mask (at least compared to how you normally act) it doesn't seem like too bad a thing to me.

Plus, that 'loss of identity' can be said to be the same from any media really. That's just a general thing that happens when you put yourself in any form on a widely accessible form of entertainment. Viewers build assumptions based on what they know of the person (even if it's simply from acting the person has done) and that becomes the person's 'identity' to the viewer.

No form of media can show you everything that ever happens. It'd take too much time for one. Imagine if every episode of Strip Search had ALL of the filmed content that was even slightly relevant involved. And even then, people interpret things differently than one another. So one person might see someone being an ass, while another sees someone being playful.

It's true that editing CAN be used to create a specific effect. And it no doubt does on some shows. But to assume every form of media in one group is somewhat closed-minded in my opinion.

This is especially true when dealing with something like Strip Search or a similar online series. In these cases, the people actually involved in the misrepresentation or confusion can clear it up. For example, based on the way the latest elimination was cut together, I thought Mike was honestly upset. But he said he wasn't on his twitter. He might have been lying, but he had the chance to say what he felt was right to say either way. That's one of the reasons I like the series; the people involved seem to be fine with sharing and even joking about their thoughts and experiences. At least as much as any normal person would be.

EDIT: Ooops... that became a huge rant. In either case, I don't think that the argument over the positive and negative aspects of Strip Search necessarily belong here (even if I just added to it >_>). Having some if not all of the contestants take part in DB in some way is likely a good idea. There's a large number of fans who might not care about LRR itself, but might be willing to throw in a few bucks to see an artists do a challenge or answer questions.

Return to “General Discussion”