Attack on Titan

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Attack on Titan

Postby ElFuzzy » 27 May 2013, 19:05

To be frank I'm curious if anyone else is watching this anime, I wouldn't mind discussing it. I stumbled upon it just recently and so far it's DAM GOOD.

I first saw it via Memebase because of this poster
http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/attack-on-titan-1.jpg
Which I assume is the live adaptation of THIS poster
http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/attack-on-titan-2.jpg

So, knowing nothing but the name and these 2 posters I ventured forth into the wild insanity that is this anime. See previous statement for my reaction.

To as unspoiler-ific as possible, the basic premise is: Humans are cattle; yum yum

At the cost of a few minor spoilers here is how it actually is:
Straight Snape killed gay Dumbledore's Bruce Willis ghost that turned out to be a transsexual AND Luke's father. Seriously though, in this universe humans are ravaged by giants called Titans and were saved by these giant walls. They attempt to fight Titans with something called 3D maneuver gear but are SERIOUSLY outmatched. After living in relative peace for about 100 years shit rockets fan-ward and things get intense.
If you're looking for a visual aid, here's a quick out of context action sequence from sometime in the series thus far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7UZzHvfPU

This is one of 2 anime I have seen that leaves my physically unsettled after watching it. That isn't to say that's a determent, it's like reading a good thriller book, you can't believe what is happening and are itching to see what will happen. The other show that left my physically unsettled was Casshern Sins, in short, a grim view on mega-man. However, like Jim Sterling likes to point out, if the status quo is bleak and dreary, adding more does nothing useful so I gave up on said anime after watching only a few episodes left me depressed. Conversely, Attack on Titan just leaves me with an adrenaline rush. This show doesn't pussyfoot around violence either... much. Dismemberment isn't out of the question and most deaths involve some munching. There is also barely any hardened soldiers like you might find in a video game. When a fight goes bad and people die, the rest panic. Kinda like rookies in XCOM, and some do look for the easiest way out.

Despite all this I cannot recommend it enough, it's only about 8 episodes in atm and updates around Sunday or so. If you're currious I found a good place to watch it here
http://www.pinoyanime.tv/attack-on-titan/
I eagerly await seeing if anyone has something to say on it, I know I have plenty
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Re: Attack on Titan

Postby Mister Fiend » 29 May 2013, 16:43

"Are we the prey?

NO! We are the hunters!"
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 30 May 2013, 07:59

I beg to differ, and I believe Eren's mother might as well.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 01 Jun 2013, 21:52

So another episode just came out...

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2013, 09:42

That image is actually pretty close to precision relevance...

My thoughts thus far:

The Titans are man-made. I'm pretty much calling that. They're extremely human in appearance, have significant combat-relevant abilities, appeared seemingly from nowhere, and they only target humans. These are creatures that were clearly manufactured for wartime, probably by the same civilisation that stands alone now.

As for where they keep coming from, since it's outright declared that they don't reproduce, I'll wager there's a long-abandoned and largely-ruined military installation somewhere beyond Wall Maria that hasn't shut off since they first appeared. If the historical archives were more informative, we could probably pinpoint it rather easily in fact.

Were I remotely in charge in the kingdom, I'd see to capturing a few Titans for experimentation and study. The 3D manoeuvre gear is a great start, but they need to learn a lot more about the Titans before we can definitively call victory, like what if anything we can use to lure them safely, what they will specifically ignore, etc.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about Eren's apparent Eureka moment at the end of episode 9, where he has that flashback and suddenly realises he bites his hand to summon the Titan, but these are early days and some more exposition is likely necessary as yet. I certainly hope he had some clue what he was doing since the alternative was crushing and/or digesting the two people he was trying to save.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 02 Jun 2013, 09:59

Yeah, it blew my mind.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Jun 2013, 10:04

This series is fantastic, thanks for putting me on to it. Still waiting for the 9th episode so I'm scared to read up, but I will once I have.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2013, 10:05

9th episode is out already, I watched it here
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Jun 2013, 10:46

So I pretty much agree with lyinginbedmon, I saw the Titans, for lack of a better term, as Meat Mecha. However, based on the ending to the last episode I'm not really sure how it works anymore. I figured that killing titans killed w/e human was being used to control it, since Eren came out of the neck. I agree that they are probably military made and I bet 100 years ago when the walls were built the gov then had probably everything to do with it. But through the years that degraded and forgot. Leaving small sects of memory like Eren's Father.

HOLY FUCKING EPIPHANY!! It's been bugging me about how the Colossal made it out and I JUST put 2 and 2 together. It has to be just another person like Eren! Iff this is true then something or someone outside the walls leading everything. The commander part isn't surprising since the attacks were methodical but the goddam double agents is crazy. That also means the Armored titan is one too so look out for a character with silver hair.

So the question remains, what's the the box, er, basement and how will Mikasa take this all
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2013, 10:50

I don't think they're piloted, or at the very least I don't think the vast majority of them are. They're clearly organic creatures, and even if we assume they're piloted, it makes sense to assume you'd make them able to function by themselves before you make them pilotable.

If indeed the Behemoth and Armoured Titans are piloted, I think the standard ones are just wild unmanned units. Certainly, the recent appearance of those two distinct Titans shrieks that there's something going on beyond the walls. Maybe Levi will find it, definitely Dr Jaeger knows something about it.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Jun 2013, 10:53

Knew* I get the impression that he's no longer with us
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2013, 11:48

He's described as disappearing around five years ago, so there's all the chance he's still around.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 02 Jun 2013, 11:52

He most likely is still alive and will appear at a fitting point in the plot.
Hurp-De-Durp!
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Jun 2013, 11:59

I must have missed the missing part as any time he's seen lately is in that flashback where he shoots up Eren, crying and panicked the whole time.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 03 Jun 2013, 09:02

Call me crazy, but having seen sooooo many murder mystery shows and other anime titles, if the titans are piloted, then we've most likely already been introduced to the pilots somewhere.

Maybe the doctor is in one? from Eren's flashbacks the Doc can make people into pilots but if the he's breaking the walls then his motivation for doing so hasn't been explained yet, unless maybe he can't control the titan when he's piloting?

More likely someone else is the pilot/pilots (we haven't seen the colossal and the armoured together, maybe they're the same pilot?) Maybe a cadet who wasn't on the wall when the collosal showed up for the second time? Maybe one of the recon squad?

All I know is, my heart tells me: Maybe.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Jun 2013, 09:36

I know the answer and it raises even more questions.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 07 Jun 2013, 18:42

Really japan? Image
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Jun 2013, 19:31

ya really
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 07 Jun 2013, 19:50

I wouldn't trust anything NGE food wise. It's probably marketed great, but about halfway through eating you get confused on what's happening with your food and just give up. Even if you somehow manage to stick it through to the end you are left disappointed and wondering what you just ate and are still hungry
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 Jun 2013, 09:22

Alright so i just watched the new episode and it didn't seem like it answered any questions. More like confirmation that they're not completely fucked by that idiot commander. It's probably one of the more intense episodes even without much action,I love the effect of the cannonclicking noise whilst Arimin is having a crysis of faith.

The only thing that confused me was Eren
seemingly forgetting that he turned into the titan. He looked startled and confused but I guess it was just disorientingwhich is understandable. The other thing that caught my attention was that his left arm was mostly absorbed, I'm guessing to try and draw connection with it and the titan since it was regened, but why didn't his leg have a problem too?Honestly it was good, but it doesn't evoke much conversationout of me personally for now.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 09 Jun 2013, 14:17

ElFuzzy wrote:Alright so i just watched the new episode and completely fucked by intense action, clicking noise seemingly forgetting disorienting left arm connection honestly conversation

zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 Jun 2013, 14:31

[ANSWER REDEDICATED]
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 Jun 2013, 20:52

Errrrr.....
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Jun 2013, 22:34

gcninja wrote:I wouldn't trust anything NGE food wise. It's probably marketed great, but about halfway through eating you get confused on what's happening with your food and just give up. Even if you somehow manage to stick it through to the end you are left disappointed and wondering what you just ate and are still hungry

Dear Drs. LRR:

Can we make an exception on the sig-character-limit so I can quote this in mine? You have to admit it's super awesome. :)

...fukkit; ninja? You're going on tumblr. :)
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 15 Jun 2013, 20:19

So I just saw the new episode... and I have one thing to say. WHAT THE SHIT?????????????? THAT FUCKING ENDING!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ARRGGHHH NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE ANYMORE GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!

That is all

Edit: Then again it could be misdirection

Return to “General Discussion”