Roasting Runners

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Re: Roasting Runners

Postby King Kool » 01 Aug 2013, 20:01

Lord Hosk wrote:why is that fish dancing?

Because he has passed through a shark's digestive tract intact due to diarrhea.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
The Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby The Mimm » 04 Aug 2013, 04:46

Would you rather be a poor king or a rich fool?

If you had one film, and only one film, that you could watch for the rest of your time on earth, what film would it be?
Life's like a movie, write your own ending,
Keep believing, keep pretending
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 04 Aug 2013, 06:28

The Mimm wrote:Would you rather be a poor king or a rich fool?

I already AM a poor king. And a rich fool wouldn't stay that way for long, and then he's still a fool.

The Mimm wrote:If you had one film, and only one film, that you could watch for the rest of your time on earth, what film would it be?

I guess I'd have to pick The Matrix. But man, I watch a lot of movies just once. I don't often rewatch them, even movies I loved. I'm not one of these guys who watched a movie I've seen a zillion times when I'm bored or in a bad mood.
a winner is you. - Ash
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 04 Aug 2013, 09:22

If you could be dropped into and live the rest of your life in any fictitious universe from a movie, tv show or book what would it be.

(you would still be you, just there)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 05 Aug 2013, 12:23

That's a really tough one. I've thought about it for a while, and the problem is that I don't think I'd thrive in anything resembling the past because I don't have any survival skills, and I don't think I'd do well in any the future because I'd be a total anachronism.

The universe of Iria has always interested me, but I doubt I'd survive very long. Middle Earth is full of war, so I'd rather do Harry Potter, even though I'm SURE I'm not a wizard. Ghost in The Shell could be cool, but I'd never be one of them cyborgs that can do all sorts of fun stuff.

I know! How about the universe of Saturn's Childrens, by Charles Stross. Humanity is extinct, and the main character is a sex robot with a fetish for humans that can never be satisfied because they're all dead.

Except, of course, for me.

Of course, I'd probably be killed by the conspiracy that happens in that book, but hey. I gave it a shot.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 05 Aug 2013, 19:42

When talking to my brother about this, I remembered the Myst universe. If I thought I could learn The Art, I'd totally do that, but that's basically like wishing for more wishes. I wouldn't use it to gain riches or anything quite so obvious, but being able to see the amazing worlds in your head would be amazing.
a winner is you. - Ash
The Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby The Mimm » 07 Aug 2013, 12:45

What are your thoughts on computer animation versus traditional hand drawn animation in modern television?
Life's like a movie, write your own ending,
Keep believing, keep pretending
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 09 Aug 2013, 18:08

The Mimm wrote:What are your thoughts on computer animation versus traditional hand drawn animation in modern television?

I've really got no problem with Flash or whatever being used in animation, or even shows like the Penguins of Madagascar does something interesting with their show (but did you notice how almost EVERY shot is perfectly still, so the background can just be a flat picture that doesn't have to get rendered like the characters?) I'm a big fan of Aqua Teen and Metalocalypse, and they quite often just have characters facing each other with lip synching (though they occasionally get more elaborate).

Shows like Gumball (which I assume is Flash) seem to make up for it with some good design and real expressiveness when it's needed. There's nothing that can replace good old fashioned animation, and that work comes through whether or not it's a computer or a drawing. Tangled was animated to have a more hand-drawn style in the design, and that movie looks great.

I understand the limited budgets on some TV shows forces them to make cheaper-looking animation, but if the art under it and the design sensibilities are there, then I'm fine with it. What I'm a lot less fine with is a show like Family Guy not making their animation a little livelier when they clearly can. The only time they seem to is that one time per episode where they trace the Family Guy characters reenacting some scene from some cockamamie movie. I also hope that people hoping to make their own animations who grow up on Gumball and simpler stuff like that don't have their expectations throttled down and make even simpler stuff.
a winner is you. - Ash
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Sep 2013, 09:43

I'm going to bring this back and take another turn because I'm not feeling motivated to work today and it seems like a good way to spend my time. Also because it's my birthday tomorrow, so I'm feeling very self–centred. :D

My previous turn was on pages 2&3 if you want to see if a question has already been asked, but feel free to ask again, the answer might have changed in some cases.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Sep 2013, 10:14

Last time you chose the ocelot over the ostrich. How do you feel they stack up against orcas?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Sep 2013, 10:17

Do you have an opinion on people who eat nachos at the movie theater?

If so what is it?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Sep 2013, 10:22

Master Gunner wrote:Last time you chose the ocelot over the ostrich. How do you feel they stack up against orcas?

I think orca falls in line with ostrich, but ocelot still handily wins the day. Because it's a kitty.

Lord Hosk wrote:Do you have an opinion on people who eat nachos at the movie theater?

Not really, no. It's not something ever given any thought to—I don't see movies that often (maybe one or two a year), and I usually go a couple of weeks after release, so it's empty enough that I can sit far away from anyone else. I imagine my answer would be different if I'd had to sit close to someone doing it, however.

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Sep 2013, 10:25

Are you a good person?

What is a good person?

What is the correct metric for good?

Could you compose an essay on the nature of goodness and morality within the human condition and culture?

Do you blog?

Why?

Why not?

Why anything?

Does anything matter?

Do you want me to stop getting existential?

How're you doing right now?

How's your day been? Your week?

Is Fayili going to be cross that I've nicked her questions?

Are you wearing a hat?

Why the hell not?

What is the worst decision you've ever made?

What is the worst joke you know?

Favourite/least favourite band?

Would you like a treehouse?

What is your favourite proverb?

What is your favourite poem?

Do you like cheese?

Which cheese?

What should the next question be?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Sep 2013, 12:03

Not going to try to apply quotes to all of these. :P

Are you a good person? If we're speaking in the sense of binary good/bad, then I'd like to think so. On scale, I'd probably put myself somewhere in the low 70s, out of 100.

What is a good person? Hmm... to keep it brief, I guess I'll say someone who is capable feeling and acting upon empathy, though I think it's also important to control one's empathy. If you let every terrible thing that happens in the world get to you and try to help fix it, your attention will be too divided to do anyone any good.

What is the correct metric for good? In terms of something that is relatively measurable, I'm going to go with "number of days brightened".

Could you compose an essay on the nature of goodness and morality within the human condition and culture? Yes, if I put more time and thought into it than I plan to at the moment.

Do you blog? Nope. I started a blog once, but never actually wrote anything for it.

Why? I started it to practice my writing, but also to have a more established web-presence.

Why not? Turns out that when you spend all day writing, you don't feel like writing for a blog. I also don't have a lot of interests I care to write about in great detail on a continual basis. There's only so much you can say about writing fiction if you don't want to get into plot and don't want to turn into an advice blog. I don't generally have strong enough opinions about video games to write them down, and I already do basic write-ups of my D&D games for my own use, and have no interest in making them more legible to an outsider, because I know that I have little interest in reading about other people's D&D games.

Why anything? The big bang, I'm led to believe.

Does anything matter? Depends entirely on how you define mattering. Presumably any action by a person or natural force will rendered irrelevant in time, but as humans can only perceive a very limited amount of time, things can matter greatly to the universe as far as that individual can sense it.

Do you want me to stop getting existential? It'll probably speed up my answers, but it's also a nice mental exercise to think in the abstract.

How're you doing right now? A bit tired, I had trouble getting to sleep last night. A little sore from exercising earlier this morning, but not bad.

How's your day been? Your week? Today's been slow, I'm not really feeling very motivated to do anything (hence the posting here). This week has been excellent, however. I've been working on my final edits to my novel, and in the last two days I went over twelve out of the thirty chapters, when I'd been previously averaging two or three a day. I'm pretty excited to be almost done with it, and to get onto the next step.

Is Fayili going to be cross that I've nicked her questions? I doubt it.

Are you wearing a hat? Nope.

Why the hell not? I'm inside. Also my hair's wet from a shower.

What is the worst decision you've ever made? Not making an effort to be more sociable in my formative years. I'm a very talkative person, but I've had to work hard in the last five years or so to get over some socially crippling shyness issues.

What is the worst joke you know? When I was younger, probably ten or so, my brother made up a joke while we were waiting for dentist appointments. I believe it went: "there are two people in a dentist's waiting room. One goes in, then after the regular amount of time, he comes back out. The second does the same. The second one says to the first: 'did you notice that the dentist only has one hand?' and the first replies: "yeah. Did you know those rubber gloves taste awful?" The problems with it are numerous. Why is the first one still in the waiting room that much later? Why did anyone let him leave after he presumably bit the dentist's hand off, and why did the dentist see another patient? Why did the dentist even have his hand all the way into the first patient's mouth? But the worst part is, I found the joke funny, and I can't forget it. Now every time I go to the dentist I'm reminded of it, and for years I kept laughing part way through every appointment. It was infuriating!

Favourite/least favourite band? Both of those are tough... favourite is probably a toss up between Genesis, who I really like but listened to too much last year and am completely burnt out on, on The Alan Parsons Project (and Alan Parsons, which was still sort of a band even once he went solo). I've also been really enjoy the obscure band Phideaux recently, but I'll have to wait to see if that appreciation lasts well. As for least favourite, nothing springs to mind. There are songs I don't like, and genres I generally don't care for, but I can't think of any one band I strongly dislike.

Would you like a treehouse? It depends on the design. A small, private fully functional house built in a tree? Sure. I'm not particularly outdoorsy though, so I don't have much interest in the stereotypical box with a ladder and nothing else.

What is your favourite proverb? Nothing comes to mind.

What is your favourite poem? Drawing a blank here too. I know there were a couple of poems I liked when taking English classes in high school, but none enough that I remember them.

Do you like cheese? Yes, but not nearly as much as a lot of people do.

Which cheese? I don't eat cheese very often if it isn't in another dish, these days, but I used to enjoy eating cheddar. I still eat it on casseroles and the like, and I like jarlsberg on my pizza.

What should the next question be? Easier to answer than this question.

I wrote a book!
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 24 Sep 2013, 13:09

What is the breakfast of champions?
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Sep 2013, 14:50

General Michi wrote:What is the breakfast of champions?

Potatoes? Yeah, I'm going to go with potatoes.

I wrote a book!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Sep 2013, 07:02

Why didnt you apply quotes to all of that?

[–]Graham_LRR
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Sep 2013, 08:10

Lord Hosk wrote:Why didnt you apply quotes to all of that?

Because I was lazy, and I wanted to finish answering all of them before I went to get lunch.

I wrote a book!
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Sep 2013, 07:52

Well, looks like that's everything you guys were curious about. I'll pass this along to someone else now.

I wrote a book!
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 26 Sep 2013, 07:59

Can I have a turn? ^.^
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Sep 2013, 08:06

What is your current employment/vocation, I dont mean "what is your job title" but instead, what do you do?

Do you feel that the answer to the above is "just where you are", or is it "where you would like to be", right now?

[–]Graham_LRR
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Sep 2013, 08:45

What's the origin of your username?

I wrote a book!
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 26 Sep 2013, 08:55

Lord Hosk wrote:What is your current employment/vocation, I dont mean "what is your job title" but instead, what do you do?

I work for TD Waterhouse. For non-Canadians it's a wealth management firm attached to one of our major banks. I'm a desktop application developer, so I code the cheap throw away process automation applications that are usually used until funding comes to integrate the process into major projects. I also act as project technical lead for my department so when major projects come up I'm the go to for the project management team so they don't bug the developers directly.

Lord Hosk wrote:Do you feel that the answer to the above is "just where you are", or is it "where you would like to be", right now?

I hope that's its just where I am. I'd like to move away from coding and more on the analysis and project management side of the house.

Jamfalcon wrote:What's the origin of your username?

The Aeric part comes from my total lack of creativity in coming up with a name for a friend's D&D campaign way back in high school so I just slapped an A in front of my own name to make it look fantasy-y.

The 90 comes from Montreal Canadien great Maurice Richard's #9. When I grew up and I bought a jersy I found that my wide back made the number 9 look small so I added the zero and voila!

Incidentally before this username I used CrackedCD on BBSs which I got by looking around my room and seeing a cracked CD... :P
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 27 Sep 2013, 05:24

More questions? ^.^
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 27 Sep 2013, 05:42

Four questions, if you had unlimited funds and unlimited time but the restriction that said time and funds could only be used to travel to these 4 places.

What Canadian landmark?
What European City?
What Asian Country?
What Unrestricted location?

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “General Discussion”