Brewsters Millions

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Would you take:

2.3 million dollars today
42%
spend 65 million dollars in 30 days for the big pay out.
58%

Total votes: 24
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Brewsters Millions

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jul 2013, 21:00

I am going to rule any "medically appropriate" procedures such as those you listed would be fine with the rules.

However, being laid up in bed for several days seems like a poor use of time, when you are going to have 10 times as much money and all the time in the world to spend it.

I would recommend against rushing medical procedures.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 21 Jul 2013, 21:32

Pay off debts, charities and gambling to get rid of the first lot, blow a load of it having mindless fun, rent expensive things (cars/apartments/planes/boats/hotels) throughout the entire thirty day leases, remaining money invest in a friend's film/theatre production company to finance their projects. Job done, I'll take my reward now.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Jul 2013, 22:52

"Pay off debts"...hmmm...er, wouldn't that technically be 'an asset' to you?

On day 0, you owe $41,000 in student loans, and another $3,000 on a credit card. If you get handed the $65,000,000 and 'waste' it, but at the end of day 30, you have NO obligations, isn't your lack of the previous debts in essence a $44,000 imbalance left on the ledger?

Wouldn't you have to end the 'spending period' in the same financial situation as when you started, debts and all?
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Jul 2013, 23:21

Host LRR Con 2017 in Passadena. Old LRRcast reference.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 22 Jul 2013, 04:21

Lord Hosk wrote:I am going to rule any "medically appropriate" procedures such as those you listed would be fine with the rules.

However, being laid up in bed for several days seems like a poor use of time, when you are going to have 10 times as much money and all the time in the world to spend it.

See... the problem with waiting to do some major things is you're gambling that you would succeed in spending all of the money for the first month. Lasik has basically no recovery time. The foot surgery is relatively minor except for having to stay off your feet for 6 weeks afterwards.

Besides, I could spend a LOT of money on nurses and 'reasonable' healthcare expenses. After surgery on my feet... I'd need to pay a bunch of guys to carry me around. Pay them a standard working wage (according to the transportation union) then tip them handsomely. Overpay for immediate ownership of an expensive multi-bedroom abode (then sell it at rockbottom prices at the end of the month), and fill it with health care professionals and personal aides. Hire a nutritionist and a live-in chef to feed all of my staff. Did I mention this 'staff' would mostly be former wal-mart cashiers and truck stop waitresses? I believe in big tips... BIG tips.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Jul 2013, 05:42

Pay an advertising firm the $65 million up front for an international sexual education campaign. A lot of places could probably use it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 09:40

Im going to side with Empath on the debt issue. Going from -X to 0 would be an asset.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 09:43

2stepz wrote:
Lord Hosk wrote:...

After surgery on my feet... I'd need to pay a bunch of guys to carry me around. Pay them a standard working wage (according to the transportation union) then tip them handsomely.

Before I make a ruling on this, would these beefy men you hire, be wearing shirts while carrying you around on your Rented velvet covered golden thrown?

2stepz wrote:Overpay for immediate ownership of an expensive multi-bedroom abode (then sell it at rockbottom prices at the end of the month), and fill it with health care professionals and personal aides. Hire a nutritionist and a live-in chef to feed all of my staff.

NO, buying it to sell it again is a no go, HOWEVER you can rent and pay too much for intimidate occupancy.

[–]Graham_LRR
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 22 Jul 2013, 09:44

I'll need a ruling...

Aside from the 5% straight to a charity and some for faffing about, what about purchasing 60m of wild space and gifting it to the government as a park?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 09:46

Master Gunner wrote:Pay an advertising firm the $65 million up front for an international sexual education campaign. A lot of places could probably use it.

Im going to rule that Charity, because the end goal is educating those in need, sorry.

Metcarfre wrote:I'll need a ruling...

Aside from the 5% straight to a charity and some for faffing about, what about purchasing 60m of wild space and gifting it to the government as a park?

Im going to rule that charity as well because presumably it would be "for the benefit of all"

Although I like both of these.

[–]Graham_LRR
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 22 Jul 2013, 09:49

What if there were a way to get the space designated a no-access wild space/UNESCO site or some such?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 09:55

hmmmmm.... Ill allow it.

Might be difficult to get done in 30 days though.

[–]Graham_LRR
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Jul 2013, 10:33

Lord Hosk wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:Pay an advertising firm the $65 million up front for an international sexual education campaign. A lot of places could probably use it.

Im going to rule that Charity, because the end goal is educating those in need, sorry.

What if I buy some shares in companies that manufacture condoms and birth-control pills? Then the advertising campaign is directly benefiting me (and I just need to waste whatever the value of the shares is).

Wait...how about I use the $65 million to buy a controlling stake in the law firm behind all this?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 22 Jul 2013, 10:58

Master Gunner wrote:Wait...how about I use the $65 million to buy a controlling stake in the law firm behind all this?

/thread

Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 22 Jul 2013, 11:17

I wouldn't consider paying off a debt an asset, particularly if they're someone else's (i.e. parents, unless that's considered charity)
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 22 Jul 2013, 12:13

Can anyone think of why you couldn't throw the party to end all parties? Rent out Hertz castle, hire every platinum-selling artist in the past decade to play, fill the pool with imported water, fly guests out first-class, have Gordon Ramsey cater, etc.? If you focus on paying for services and consumable goods, it seems doable...
-Wraith
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Jul 2013, 12:20

Organising that would, I think, take a lot more than a month. Ramsay, for example, generally has around four free days per year.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 22 Jul 2013, 12:23

Since I am pretty sure I would try for the big prize just to donate it as I see fit anyways (I want to grow up to be Steven Dengler), I would just cut out the whole uncertainty and get that from the start.

2 mil, say 1 mil after taxes, pay off my debts, pay cash for a reasonable house, take a year off to work on projects of my own, then look for a job with the skills I learned in my year off.
@mhasko
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 22 Jul 2013, 12:49

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Organising that would, I think, take a lot more than a month. Ramsay, for example, generally has around four free days per year.

Well then, I guess I'd have to hire the foremost promoters, talent agents and organizers to speed up the process, wouldn't I? Ramsay has four free days per year? So what you're saying is, in order to get him, I'd need to spend so much money that he'd abandon a previous commitment; and since it'd be out of my control, that would still constitute fair market value.
-Wraith
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 22 Jul 2013, 13:06

I believe one of the other rules (or is it a variation on 'no charity'...?) is that you can't give things away. So throwing a party could be seen as constituting that. Although, I guess you could throw yourself a really great party... by yourself.

I just figured out chartering a 747 to fly you around for the whole month would run about 25 million. Maybe just have the party onboard?
2stepz

Postby 2stepz » 22 Jul 2013, 13:15

Wraith wrote:Can anyone think of why you couldn't throw the party to end all parties? Rent out Hertz castle, hire every platinum-selling artist in the past decade to play, fill the pool with imported water, fly guests out first-class, have Gordon Ramsey cater, etc.? If you focus on paying for services and consumable goods, it seems doable...

During my drive today I was thinking of something like this. I was considering what it would cost to be picking up all the tabs throughout Las Vegas at New Years... or during Mardi Gras in 'Nawlins. Would that be considered charity, if nobody is really benefiting?
2stepz

Postby 2stepz » 22 Jul 2013, 13:39

Lord Hosk wrote:
2stepz wrote:
Lord Hosk wrote:...

After surgery on my feet... I'd need to pay a bunch of guys to carry me around. Pay them a standard working wage (according to the transportation union) then tip them handsomely.

Before I make a ruling on this, would these beefy men you hire, be wearing shirts while carrying you around on your Rented velvet covered golden thrown?

... maybe... I suppose they'd have to comply with union rules.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 22 Jul 2013, 13:53

Rent 16 to 20 superyachts for the month and recreate historical naval battles.

Alternatively, space tourism (flights on Soyuz running 20-35 million)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 14:38

Wraith wrote:Can anyone think of why you couldn't throw the party to end all parties? Rent out Hertz castle, hire every platinum-selling artist in the past decade to play, fill the pool with imported water, fly guests out first-class, have Gordon Ramsey cater, etc.? If you focus on paying for services and consumable goods, it seems doable...

I will allow this, so long as you pay fair wages, fair market value for the food, and it is a celebration for which the expenditures can be justified.

IE: A party for 100 people could not have a staff of 3000, or 500 Lbs of caviar.

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2013, 14:42

2stepz wrote:

During my drive today I was thinking of something like this. I was considering what it would cost to be picking up all the tabs throughout Las Vegas at New Years... or during Mardi Gras in 'Nawlins. Would that be considered charity, if nobody is really benefiting?

I would consider this just over the line and call it no. The reason I say no to this but yes to the party idea is that this would not benefit you and would be along the lines of walking down the street dropping 10,000 bundles of one hundred dollar bills.

With a party you are spending the money for your entertainment, which includes having friends around.

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “General Discussion”