The thread of tallness

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Metcarfre » 22 Aug 2013, 21:25

plummeting_sloth wrote:fuck that gay

whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
*
User avatar
Ptangmatik
Posts: 3596
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 09:44
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables
Location: the shire of york

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Ptangmatik » 23 Aug 2013, 11:40

I'm 6' 4", I've occasionally been clipped by bus wing mirrors at bus stops and door lintels/ light fixtures, but the worst was when I was walking into town from school for lunch with my friends; I stepped around the first post of a 2 post road sign and when I came up to take my next step, rammed my collarbone into the underside of the sign. It wasn't the most painful, just very surprising and of course all my friends were on hand to point and laugh at me.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Bebop Man » 23 Aug 2013, 15:14

I'm content with being taller than Tom Cruise.
Image
User avatar
nicholasmc1
Posts: 2745
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 01:20
First Video: The Job
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby nicholasmc1 » 23 Aug 2013, 19:01

Metcarfre wrote:
plummeting_sloth wrote:fuck that gay

whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I believe in context he meant "fuck that *guy*/gal", please calm your farm.

On a side note I also feel fairly short sitting around 5'8
User avatar
Drecon
Posts: 1234
Joined: 11 Feb 2013, 09:45
First Video: Ransom
Location: John Malkovich

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Drecon » 23 Aug 2013, 22:46

I have no idea what all these numbers mean...
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
User avatar
nicholasmc1
Posts: 2745
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 01:20
First Video: The Job
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby nicholasmc1 » 23 Aug 2013, 22:55

Drecon wrote:I have no idea what all these numbers mean...

Legit? Because we're talking in feet and inches, because for some reason in my country where metric is king we still measure height in imperial.
User avatar
Drecon
Posts: 1234
Joined: 11 Feb 2013, 09:45
First Video: Ransom
Location: John Malkovich

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Drecon » 25 Aug 2013, 09:19

Well, I know what feet and inches are but it's impossible for me to get a feel for them.
There's always Google though, I can convert them.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Aug 2013, 09:24

nicholasmc1 wrote:
Drecon wrote:I have no idea what all these numbers mean...

Legit? Because we're talking in feet and inches, because for some reason in my country where metric is king we still measure height in imperial.


Blame the cultural hegemony of the United States of America.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Aug 2013, 14:39

Well I'm 1,76. 5' 8'' means nothing to me. Are not most people in here Canadian, and do they not measure stuff in meters?
Image
User avatar
Jamfalcon
Posts: 3325
Joined: 08 Aug 2011, 13:59
First Video: Killer Instinct
Location: Somewhat nearish Vancouver. Kind of.
Contact:

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Aug 2013, 14:47

Canada started using metric in (*checks Wikipedia*) the 70s. In my case, my parents are old enough that they learned imperial as children, so they stuck with that for general discussions of height and weight, which seems to be pretty much standard still. I tend to think in terms of imperial, because that's what was used around the house growing up, but I know the conversions (more or less) so I can figure out information given to me in metric pretty quickly.

Pretty much everyone that I know uses metric for speed (since that's what the signs use) and temperature, however.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Image
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Aug 2013, 16:47

Wikipedia tells me that "the International System of Units (i.e. metric system) has been adopted as the official system of weights and measures by all nations in the world except for Burma, Liberia and the United States", which is of some comfort.
Image
User avatar
Fezzul
Posts: 2550
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 06:45
First Video: Toothy Smile
Location: New York

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Fezzul » 25 Aug 2013, 19:53

I am almost completely metric, except for measuring height.

For some reason 6'6" sounds more impressive than 1.99 metres
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Aug 2013, 19:58

Where I come from, 2 meters is so big we use it for hyperboles!
Image
User avatar
Kara
Posts: 2564
Joined: 13 Mar 2006, 11:38
First Video: The Bet
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Kara » 25 Aug 2013, 20:03

I'm 5'4 and will never relate to this thread... QQ

But thanks my tall brethren for helping me reach things that are high up.
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Aug 2013, 20:58

Holy ... Welcome back Kara, you have been gone for what a year?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
Kara
Posts: 2564
Joined: 13 Mar 2006, 11:38
First Video: The Bet
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Kara » 26 Aug 2013, 00:34

More like 2 since I been here regularly, butya, about a year since I last visited til a few days ago.

Butya, hi. =3
User avatar
Cerk
Posts: 62
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 05:31
First Video: The Job
Location: Umeå, Sweden

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Cerk » 26 Aug 2013, 09:42

I just used feet since everyone else was doing it. I LEARNED IT BY WATCHING YOOOUUU!

Sweden is very much a metric nation, I've just learnt by heart how tall I am in feet. And yes, 6'6 does sound taller than 2 meters. Usually, anyway.
Ptangmatik wrote:What? How dare you bring logic into this! Get in the fryer!
User avatar
Hepheastus
Posts: 1288
Joined: 18 Aug 2013, 13:10
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet
Location: Looking up every other word you say (UK)

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Hepheastus » 27 Aug 2013, 00:36

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I seem to be 6'8".

I learn to duck a lot.


Also no jumping, jumping is definitely out

I'm 6'7" or there abouts and after the first concussion after jumping in excitement near a doorway you quickly learn this rule
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
User avatar
Hepheastus
Posts: 1288
Joined: 18 Aug 2013, 13:10
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet
Location: Looking up every other word you say (UK)

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Hepheastus » 27 Aug 2013, 00:41

Bebop Man wrote:Wikipedia tells me that "the International System of Units (i.e. metric system) has been adopted as the official system of weights and measures by all nations in the world except for Burma, Liberia and the United States", which is of some comfort.


Well here in the UK we like to be difficult :P We use metric Units in science and these units are taught in schools(and are vastly superior i feel). However we like to use a mix of both metric and imperial units in day to day life. Fluid measurement are litres but distance is in miles ect.
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
User avatar
TheRocket
Posts: 8428
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:17
First Video: Those Games That We Played
Location: Lake Titicaca
Contact:

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby TheRocket » 27 Aug 2013, 07:28

plummeting_sloth wrote:I don't know who the hell decides the correct height for cheap chandeliers in mid-Altantic apartments these days, but fuck that gay/gal.



Fuck that gay gal indeed!

(Sorry, I laughed)


I'm like, only 6'9" so I guess I'm taller than all of ya'll. Whatevs. No big D.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
User avatar
Ptangmatik
Posts: 3596
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 09:44
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables
Location: the shire of york

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Ptangmatik » 27 Aug 2013, 09:47

By the way, I would think you'd really need a better pick up line than 'fuck that gay gal'. Maybe offer to buy them coffee?

Then again, considering my success rate, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about ;-)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
User avatar
Cerk
Posts: 62
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 05:31
First Video: The Job
Location: Umeå, Sweden

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Cerk » 27 Aug 2013, 10:29

And here I thought I was too tall. Guess it could've been worse?

Another thing I just realised is part of the tall person's curse is the (from what I've gathered at least) common ailment of lower back pain after any extended time standing up.

Oh, and also- stations at work (I'm on one of many assembly lines at a truck factory) are always set up for people of a decidedly shorter stature, which translates to hunching over to reach which in turn worsens the issues laid out above.

... This turned out more an angry rant and less informative post. O well.
Ptangmatik wrote:What? How dare you bring logic into this! Get in the fryer!
User avatar
Keab42
Posts: 6662
Joined: 27 May 2009, 16:38
Location: In England

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Keab42 » 27 Aug 2013, 10:34

TheRocket wrote:I'm like, only 6'9" so I guess I'm taller than all of ya'll. Whatevs. No big D.


So does that make Wraith like 8ft or something?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
User avatar
Fezzul
Posts: 2550
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 06:45
First Video: Toothy Smile
Location: New York

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Fezzul » 27 Aug 2013, 11:47

Re: Lower back pain.

Used to be a recurring problem for me, now greatly reduced due to taking classes in Alexander Technique. The world is designed around ergonomic averages. That's how they decide what height to have urinals at, chair height, doorway size, etc. It's all based on averages. Average male height in the western world is approximately 1.8m. This works out badly for people who are significantly above or below this height. So tall people duck a lot, slump down, and have uncomfortable times sitting in chairs. Also, when talking to shorter people (i.e. people) tall people tend to lean down towards the person they're talking to. This puts pressure on the spine and neck and causes all kinds of pain and problems in the long term.

I started taking Alexander technique to further my acting training, as it's good for voice and body work. But it has also helped my day-to-day life greatly, improved my posture, greatly reduced my back pain and reduced the effects of my essential tremor. It has also improved my voice and acting technique. It works by modifying behavior gradually through hands on sessions and simple physical drills.

I'd recommend it to anyone having back pain, it has been shown to have significant positive effects by studies in the British Medical Journal. It works because it is preventative as well as therapeutic, it helps gradually resolve postural problems, and modifies your behavior so that it will prevent problems in the future.

I am in no way sponsored by the American Center for the Alexander Technique. Probably.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Aug 2013, 13:52

I have to admit I've had a lot less back pain since I started lifting. I do a fair amount of squats and deadlifts, which involve the back and core heavily.
*

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests