The thread of tallness

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

The thread of tallness

Postby MotorWaffle » 21 Aug 2013, 08:29

Admittedly, this is kind of sort of extremely self-promotional, but I recently started a tumblr called tall guy problems. One thing I'd like to do is post the stories of other vertically gifted people for the amusement of all.
If you're willing to run the chance of your story being posted, please tell it here. Here's one of mine.

When I was 8, I moved up from the k-2nd grade building to the 3rd-8th. This meant I had to go to the k-2nd building and take a bus over to the new one. By this time I was tall enough that my head easily cleared the seat in front of me, but I didn't think much of it.
After taking off, the driver called back to the bus "Everybody sit down."
A minute later, "Sit down!" I still was clueless as to who was still standing.
Finally she stopped the bus, got out of her seat, stomped back straight to me...and saw that I was sitting down. She then made some indecipherable noise and shuffled back to the front of the bus.
A similar thing happened to my dad on a roller coaster.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: The thread of tallness

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Aug 2013, 08:44

I'm not that tall (6' 3") but my goodness it's impossible to find properly fitting over-the-calf socks.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 21 Aug 2013, 08:46

Metcarfre wrote:I'm not that tall (6' 3") but my goodness it's impossible to find properly fitting over-the-calf socks.

This is to your benefit. The universe is doing you a solid.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Aug 2013, 09:00

Being a very tall, very shy child caused problems for me sometimes. For example, once when I was about four, someone complained to my mother that she had taken me into the women's bathroom at the local library, because I wasn't comfortable going into the men's room on my own (and my mother didn't really want me to either. The location is unfortunately popular with drug users). The person who was complaining did so because she was certain I must be at least eight, and was old enough to use a bathroom on my own. She was quite surprised to learn that I was so young.

For the record, I'm not particularly tall these days – about 6' 2" – but as a child I was often an entire foot taller than my similarly aged friends.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Aug 2013, 09:03

I'm not massively tall myself (around 6 foot nothing), but have plenty of similar rugby-related stories of people being very, very big for their age. The most prominent example that springs to mind is a guy from our rival club who must be about 5'9" or 10" and weigh around 75-ish kilos: and has grown less than two inches since he was 9. Tackling him as a ten year old was a daunting experience, and one that failed more often than not.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Aug 2013, 09:21

Scenario 1:
You go to a fast food restaurant, and they have a drink dispenser with the buttons on the front instead of the little push bar behind the spigot. So you put your cup under on a guess of where the spigot is and then SPLOOOSH your hand is sticky.

This is not an issue for people under 5'10 because they can see the spigot from their short angle.

Scenario 2:
You have to go to the bathroom, you go to the urinal, you have to be careful not to pee on top of it. This isnt always the case maybe 1 in 10 but seriously why are they so low that any normal human being would be close to peeing on top of it?

Scenario 3:
driving a car after a short person. "well just adjust the seat" they say.
Do you know how hard it is to adjust the seat from outside the car? its harder than you think short stuff. This is especially true in military vehicles which tend to have vertical as well as horizontal adjustments and the vertical ones are kind of like a office chair in that you need to be sitting in the seat to make it go down.

Scenario 4:
You know how you have trouble getting thing off the top shelf of the grocery store sometimes? I dont even know what is ON the bottom shelf, same angle issue, its too low its all a mystery to me, and if I actually need something from down there and its not right over the edge? Im on my hands and knees just to get a box of sponge bob mac and cheese, cause you know who can see the bottom shelf? 2 year olds.
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 21 Aug 2013, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Aug 2013, 09:24

AlexanderDitto wrote:
Metcarfre wrote:I'm not that tall (6' 3") but my goodness it's impossible to find properly fitting over-the-calf socks.

This is to your benefit. The universe is doing you a solid.

The universe wants my socks puddling about my ankles?
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 21 Aug 2013, 09:32

At 5'8" I feel incredibly small in this forum.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Aug 2013, 09:56

I'm 5'11.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Aug 2013, 10:01

Lord Hosk wrote:Scenario 2:
You have to go to the bathroom, you go to the urinal, you have to be careful not to pee on top of it. This isnt always the case maybe 1 in 10 but seriously why are they so low that any normal human being would be close to peeing on top of it?

Are you sure you're not using the kiddies' ones?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Cerk
First Video: The Job

Postby Cerk » 21 Aug 2013, 10:18

At roughly 6'6, I have massive problems finding a car that can get me a comfortable seating position. The few I have found then does not have any rear legroom what-so-ever, meaning I'm limited to 2 passengers on any sort of long drives.

Asides from that, it's just the usual ducking in doorways, incredible discomfort while on public transport, and having to crouch to see stuff on the bottom shelves.

Oh! Not directly related to height, but finding comfortable shoes at a reasonable price in size 12½ is a pain, and clothing is another big problem. Finding a suit that fits me well (being both tall and fairly skinny) off the shelf just isn't possible.
Ptangmatik wrote:What? How dare you bring logic into this! Get in the fryer!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Aug 2013, 10:21

Bebop Man wrote:At 5'8" I feel incredibly small in this forum.

5'5" - pipe down, beanpole. ;)

I always used to actually worry about this - when I would be getting four inches of pants leg sheared off so the cuffs aren't going to be folded more than a traditional katana, I'd be thinking "damn, what do tall people do?"

Sure, all my pants look like I'm wearing hakama but at least I'm still covered.

I'd offer you the my 'extras' if it'd help. :(

People always tease me about reaching the top shelf to which I give 'em a blank stare and say "Stepladder, bitch; how do you reach the bottom shelf without hurting your back or getting your knees dirty?"

Seriously, I got the better half of the deal, and y'all have my sincere sympathy.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Aug 2013, 10:23

Pipe down shorty, the thick air down there's making you cocky ;)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Aug 2013, 10:39

I seem to be 6'8".

I learn to duck a lot.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 21 Aug 2013, 12:09

Cerk wrote:At roughly 6'6, I have massive problems finding a car that can get me a comfortable seating position. The few I have found then does not have any rear legroom what-so-ever, meaning I'm limited to 2 passengers on any sort of long drives.

Asides from that, it's just the usual ducking in doorways, incredible discomfort while on public transport, and having to crouch to see stuff on the bottom shelves.

Oh! Not directly related to height, but finding comfortable shoes at a reasonable price in size 12½ is a pain, and clothing is another big problem. Finding a suit that fits me well (being both tall and fairly skinny) off the shelf just isn't possible.

That's why I've only ever driven Buicks. Surprisingly roomy on the inside.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Aug 2013, 12:31

Cerk wrote:At roughly 6'6, I have massive problems finding a car that can get me a comfortable seating position. The few I have found then does not have any rear legroom what-so-ever, meaning I'm limited to 2 passengers on any sort of long drives.

I was going to help out with the clothes and shoes, but I'm a bit out of my league if you're in Sweden.

Although if you're looking for dress shoes, Meermin is a great, affordable option.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 21 Aug 2013, 13:06

Dad is 6'8. Mom is 5'3. Buying vehicles for our family is quite tricky. Also, no ceiling fans with light fixtures. There is also wariness about door frame heights. He's pretty adept at ducking these days.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 21 Aug 2013, 14:32

Fiancé is 6'6, ex is 6'5. Used to tall guys, not to tall problems though (at 5'4 I'm pretty average).

I know Sean was taller than his mother by the time he started school. He was 13 when he stopped growing, and he also had a full beard by then.
He has plenty of stories of people being horrible because they didn't realise his age. One comes to mind of a doctor not letting him see his mom when he was 8 or 9 because he assumed he was over 18.
He also got in trouble for throwing food at someone when he was a toddler because the other patron thought he was twice or three times that age.

My ex got gum stuck in his hair from the ceiling of the school bus. He also used to hit his head on signs in the subway and in one apartment we visited when apartment hunting, he couldn't stand because the ceilings were too low.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 21 Aug 2013, 20:42

I'm 6'6". I have the usual problems, the usual advantages, and some unique to me. As an actor it means that it effects what I am cast as, and who I can play opposite. For instance, I'll never be in a Tom Cruise movie, because I'd make him look like an oompa-loompa. I tend to get oddball characters, scary characters, shy characters.

I would say the commonest trait among taller people is a little perspective, often kindness, and a misunderstood quality. Chewbacca basically. I wanted to be Chewbacca for the longest time. Still do.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Aug 2013, 20:56

Also we rip people's arms from their sockets.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Aug 2013, 21:29

only when we lose
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 21 Aug 2013, 22:35

In my old house there was this realy low part of the ceiling when you went down the steps into my room. Any normal day and I wouldn't hit it, but just barely. But every so often, I would have shoes on, and I'd smack my head.

Also, at work, I am constantly asked to get things off the top shelf. Like, it feels like that's the only reason they keep me around sometimes.
Image Image Image
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Aug 2013, 00:48

Fezzul wrote:I'm 6'6". I have the usual problems, the usual advantages, and some unique to me. As an actor it means that it effects what I am cast as, and who I can play opposite. For instance, I'll never be in a Tom Cruise movie, because I'd make him look like an oompa-loompa. I tend to get oddball characters, scary characters, shy characters.

I would say the commonest trait among taller people is a little perspective, often kindness, and a misunderstood quality. Chewbacca basically. I wanted to be Chewbacca for the longest time. Still do.

Nowadays, my main source of entertainment when watching Tom Cruise films is seeing the variety of camera tricks they use to try and make him seem taller.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Aug 2013, 06:26

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
Nowadays, my main source of entertainment when watching Tom Cruise films is seeing the variety of camera tricks they use to try and make him seem human and interesting.

FTFY

[–]Graham_LRR
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 22 Aug 2013, 18:59

I took a few classes in a very old building (designed to 1690 specs) in college. Fitting my 6'4" head under doorframes was an occasional annoyance. More significantly, I don't know who the hell decides the correct height for cheap chandeliers in mid-Altantic apartments these days, but fuck that guy/gal.
Last edited by plummeting_sloth on 03 Sep 2013, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion”