RWBY

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

RWBY

Postby Pimpin J » 07 Sep 2013, 10:38

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rwby&v=more

I didn't see anyone talking about it but if you have not checked out RWBY you really should. Brought to you by the guys who did Red vs Blue. It is original animation and done very well. It has a strong anime feel to it. Even if you don't like anime you should still give it a shot.

*For some reason it starts on episode 8 but all the episodes are listed below the video.
First Video: Max Effect

Re: RWBY

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2013, 10:59

The current episode has been what many of the fans have been waiting for. I've enjoyed it throughout although I was hesitant to begin with when Kara's VA work of Ruby for the Yellow trailer came out. But the VA has be great all the way through, I was surprised that they had Jen Taylor (Cortana) do the narration in Episode 1.

The humour is quirky in place with some RoosterTeeth references thrown in for those who notice it. Example: Oh, that's my Uncle!

Rwby is headed by Monty Oum who gave us Haloid, Dead Fantasy and the Dead Fantasy cast singing SNSD's Gee.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Sep 2013, 11:28

Having Barb as Yang takes me out of it a bit but I never think about Lindsay playing Ruby. Weiss is TOO much of a bitch imo, but I guess she's getting better. I love the humor, but the animation can seem a little lifeless at times. It's got potential and I can't wait to see where it goes. Though I feel like the all male team from last episode is cannon fodder/plot device.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2013, 11:31

I thought Barbara has her part down quite well.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Sep 2013, 11:54

I just can't get behind this show, it's just so painfully generic to me.
The dialogue isn't clever or well delivered, and the animation (especially in the faces) seems lifeless :(

I wanted so much more from it. It feels like a fan project, just with bigger budget.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2013, 11:56

I can see the generic problem with it. Monty gave Kerry and Miles (the other writers) a pile of anime to watch before the project. I'm not sure if they watched anime before.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Sep 2013, 11:59

Elomin Sha wrote:I thought Barbara has her part down quite well.

I listen to the Internet Box a lot which has both Lindsay and Barb on it, but for some reason I Barb seems no different to me in RWBY. Never knew it was Lindsay until a few episodes ago.

Graham wrote:I just can't get behind this show, it's just so painfully generic to me.
The dialogue isn't clever or well delivered, and the animation (especially in the faces) seems lifeless :(

I wanted so much more from it. It feels like a fan project, just with bigger budget.

As much as it pains me, I kinda agree. I love the Scythe and Yang's Gauntlets, but the other weapons are okay. They pulled a lot from anime, but they may have pulled too much leaving nothing but cliches and dam good action. So it's something that's okay, but not amazing.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2013, 12:05

I guess I'm wow'd by the spectacle. I've never put much thought into what I'm watching.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Sep 2013, 12:09

Ditto, I can step back and analyze it, but for the most part, when im watching I'm entertained. Though I yelled bullshit at the end of the episode when they blew out the candle. there was clearly other chandeliers in the background
Pimpin J

Postby Pimpin J » 07 Sep 2013, 12:23

I agree that it can be all the negative things said above if you analyze it, however like El Fuzzy said I watch it and have fun. It's not groundbreaking like Miyazaki films or well written like Ghost in the Shell, its just...fun.

And honestly for me that is all it really has to be.
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Sep 2013, 13:05

I guess this makes me a crotchety old man, but I don't think "dumb fun" is enough, it should be better than that.
And I love dumb fun things too, this isn't fun enough for me.

I guess I was hoping for more.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Sep 2013, 13:08

Dam my accursed mind, "Graham was hoping for more from young girls in anime clothing."

Sorry
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2013, 13:59

I think Graham is too accustomed to Final Fantasy all buckles clothing approach.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Sep 2013, 15:42

I enjoyed it.

The animation in some cases looked not-good-weird.

But I saw it as a web-based amature animation and I thought it was amazing for that.

It's like a Poor Man's Soul Eater.
If you're going to heavily use a format, you may as well use a very good format.

Makes me sad that there isn't anymore Soul Eater Anime (but where could they go with it though?)
Pimpin J

Postby Pimpin J » 18 Sep 2013, 11:16

Graham wrote:I guess this makes me a crotchety old man, but I don't think "dumb fun" is enough, it should be better than that.

You should watch Episode 8. It is full of bad ass. In my opinion.

Postby Elomin Sha » 18 Sep 2013, 12:13

I do not know why I mistook Kara for Lindsey in my first post here. Weiss wasn't even in the Yellow Trailer.
The music has been pretty good during the series.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 18 Sep 2013, 20:26

I don't watch anime on the regular, so I have no comparison, really, but I enjoy the series enough to keep watching.

The trailers made me think I'd hate it, so that's a step up, I guess.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Sep 2013, 20:54

Pimpin J wrote:
Graham wrote:I guess this makes me a crotchety old man, but I don't think "dumb fun" is enough, it should be better than that.

You should watch Episode 8. It is full of bad ass. In my opinion.
Nope. Cool fight sequence. Awful dialogue and delivery. I can't, I'm sorry.

"Oh great" and "That was a thing" are Nothing Lines that can be used as "I have no words" comedy if delivered properly. This was not, so they were useless lines that should've either been better dialogue, or no dialogue.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 18 Sep 2013, 22:34

Eh, watched a couple of episodes and like Graham has mentioned it feel pretty generic and some of it was painful to listen to. So what Graham said :P

Just isn't for me. *Pulls pants chest high and hunches* Now if you will excuse me...
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Sep 2013, 03:59

Just watch it thinking it's an amature attempt at anime, and then your enjoyment sky rockets.

I haven't watched RvsB so maybe that's why I get enjoyment from this. I don't know the makers can do better. I assume this is what they do, and I am OK with mediocre.

Does feel a little 'makey-it-up-as-we-go-along' because the example of monsters in the last episode, are monsters we've seen already. Also the animation is shocking sometimes.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 20 Sep 2013, 16:08

I just watched through all of the 10 episodes that have been released thus far and I enjoyed myself. It doesn't raise any barriers and the characters still need to be developed and have better dialogue, but I'm loving the blend of personalities so far and the action scenes are the bomb. With that in mind I'm looking forward to seeing how it continue, got my fingers crossed that things will pick up and the dialogue will improve.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 20 Sep 2013, 19:46

Monty Oum is the "cool fight sequences" guy as far as I'm concerned. They brought him in on RvB a few years back, and I still remember the first sequence he worked on. He has such a distinct style that's full of flair and a slightly alarming sense of how the brain tracks action and movement. RWBY might succeed based on the fight scenes alone.

... which is good, because Graham is right, it doesn't have a whole lot else going for it. It clearly wants to be an anime, but it doesn't have the episode length to support sufficient investment in the characters, nor does it have sufficient pacing to properly frame those fight scenes. The dialogue is pretty generic and so far the characters have yet to really distinguish themselves. They need to capitalize on their strengths and build things around the action choreography rather than trying to make the show something it isn't - i.e. a full-fledged anime.

That said, yeah, I'm watching it. I've seen worse. If nothing else, you have to give them points for trying something like this.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Sep 2013, 01:22

I find White is the only interesting character from team RWBY.

Which is strange as Ruby is meant to be the main character, and team RWBY is meant to be the main team.
-
Probably episode length is to blame for lack of character improvement.

Ruby is a good fighter. But is an annoying character. Maybe the character of annoying 14 year old is portrayed well.
Drake is just an enigma, and likes books. That's kind of it.
Yellow is big boobies woman with punches.

I mean White is a douche, but at least her character is interesting. She wants to do well. She has a problem with working as a team. She's arrogant. She is more credible than the other three imo.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Sep 2013, 05:07

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I find White is the only interesting character from team RWBY.

Which is strange as Ruby is meant to be the main character, and team RWBY is meant to be the main team.
-
Probably episode length is to blame for lack of character improvement.

Ruby is a good fighter. But is an annoying character. Maybe the character of annoying 14 year old is portrayed well.
Drake is just an enigma, and likes books. That's kind of it.
Yellow is big boobies woman with punches.

I mean White is a douche, but at least her character is interesting. She wants to do well. She has a problem with working as a team. She's arrogant. She is more credible than the other three imo.

Weiss*, Blake*, Yang*.

I cannot stand Weiss, her character begins and ends with bitch. At the end of the last major fight it seemed she calmed down a bit, but the last 2 episodes through that all out the fucking window to rehash what was just done. Also Weiss seems like a coward at times and is afraid to fight EVEN THOUGH SHE'S TRAINING TO BECOME A HUNTRESS. FFS. I really enjoy Ruby the best out of the four since she's brash, inexperienced, and has the best weapon. Everything but the combat is new for her so it's understandable to fuck up a bit now and again in social situations. I agree that Blake is an enigma and I personally don't care to listen to Yang as I just hear the voice actress and not the character. If anything, Ruby and Nora are my 2 favorite characters. Every seen with Nora so far has been superbly entertaining.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 14 Nov 2013, 15:03

Well now the first volume of the first season is complete. I'd say it was pretty neat, and I certainly enjoyed the many different characters and certainly the action. The plot got a bit predictable at times (the RWBY subreddit was thoroughly unsurprised by Blake's reveal) but it at least went somewhere with it, and Weiss is still juggling the bitchiness and acceptance rather than instantly thawing so I kinda like that. The music is probably my favorite part though, to be frank. Even the background music is beautiful, and some of the feature songs are just amazing. Hoping I can get the spare cash to buy the album soon.

Return to “General Discussion”