The Loading Ready Run Kickstarter

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Re: The Loading Ready Run Kickstarter

Postby korvys » 30 Sep 2013, 21:54

Well they do have a good opportunity to make some noise at the Escapist Expo.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 30 Sep 2013, 23:59

It didn't really hit me until today that the 11th season will be the last one. Last being the word that did it, because now I feel really sad :(

I do hope that it doesn't mean the end of all the sketch based comedy, but I also hope that whatever the future projects might hold will make up for this tragic loss to mankind.
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 01 Oct 2013, 01:12

It's the end of this particular set of weekly sketches.
The other shows aren't going anywhere, and if they feel like it then the crew can (and will) still make LRR-style sketches in 2015.

I get how people's initial reactions to this might be sad ones, but I personally still see this as nothing but positive.
This way we'll have a full year of LRR sketches that will (have the chance to) be better than the current ones since LRR itself now has a substantial budget, and after that there'll be other awesome projects.

I, for one, can't wait. Now, let's kick the crap out of this fund raiser! :D only 3354 $CAD left at time of writing.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 01 Oct 2013, 01:15

I know its not all going away, I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the idea of one parts disappearing. But if it gives the crew the time they need to make the big things they wanna do; then its a worthy sacrifice.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Oct 2013, 04:05

Yeah, as much as I'm going to miss the comfortable familiarity of Monday's LRR video, I am more eager to let the poor Crew rest from their nearly-uninterrupted DECADE of 'gotta make the video...gotta make the video'! :lol:

We'll still have all their other weekly activities, AND I'm sure we'll be graced with more comedy - this is something they truly enjoy doing, and they wouldn't be able to stop doing if you held guns to their heads. ;)

Man...ten years - how many TV shows you watched lasted TEN YEARS?
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 01 Oct 2013, 06:06

I'm a bit excited to see what they can do with James more part-time.

I'm getting a little concerned they will not hit the sexy LRR calendar, but I think they're going to be good for a double dose of Crapshots. These things tend to take a life of their own, though, so who knows if they pull off all the things. I'm still pretty happy with my 8k-23k on each of the last 3 days of the Kickstarter which puts the range around $180k at the low end and $225k at the high end. Go LRR Go!
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 01 Oct 2013, 07:00

At this point it really depends on how well they can push the marketing on this. Jerry officially Kickfathering it on Penny Arcade could easily push the total way beyond the planned stretch goals in a single weekend, for instance.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 01 Oct 2013, 08:30

MisterDee wrote:At this point it really depends on how well they can push the marketing on this. Jerry officially Kickfathering it on Penny Arcade could easily push the total way beyond the planned stretch goals in a single weekend, for instance.

Well, yes. When one makes projections, it requires projecting based on previously known behavior. A mule kick to the system will throw everything out of whack. Given that it's clear the crew doesn't need a high profile bump, they may not get it.

Regarding Jerry and PA specifically, they really only call out projects they're truly passionate about and/or really feel deserve to be funded recognizing they wield a pretty serious hammer. While I'm certain they have nothing but positive feelings for the crew through Desert Bus (Operation Infinite Bus matching funds), I can't really recall them ever mentioning LRR outside of the context of Desert Bus or StripSearch.

Would anyone be annoyed if we used this thread to call out any LRRkick shout outs during the final week of the Kickstarter? They have made connections within the Magic community, gaming community and now webcomic community. Even if they don't get the massive single PA bump, they have a lot of small Internet celebs, like the StripSearch contestants, that can bring a lot of attention as it closes. I'd love to see a record of them as they come in.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 01 Oct 2013, 10:29

I'm really excited for the live stream stuff. I think that'll be excellent.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 01 Oct 2013, 10:44

ecocd wrote:Regarding Jerry and PA specifically, they really only call out projects they're truly passionate about and/or really feel deserve to be funded recognizing they wield a pretty serious hammer. While I'm certain they have nothing but positive feelings for the crew through Desert Bus (Operation Infinite Bus matching funds), I can't really recall them ever mentioning LRR outside of the context of Desert Bus or StripSearch.

True but certainly frustrating. Even though LRR met their original goal, it was probably pretty damn modest, and I'd wager that hitting more and more of the stretch goals helps the gang out immensely. A single mention from PA would probably be an immense help. I mean, at this point we're slowly crawling and scrimping to get a few thousand more dollars in the next few weeks.

It's kind of sad, really. Considering all they've done for, say, Child's Play, or the amazing work they did on Strip Search, and now that they've got a kickstarter its like no one knows their name. Where's the Penny Arcade tweet that says: "These guys are amazing. They do great work. Show them some love!"? I was in my nerd shop the other day, and this group was talking about Strip Search with immense enthusiasm, while playing the Penny Arcade board game, and none of them knew who or what LRR was.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Oct 2013, 12:13

I think Graham has said repeatedly that they are appreciative of Robert Khoo who tweeted about the kickstarter early on and they appreciate anyone with any number of followers tweeting or spreading the word. But they wont be asking anyone directly to tweet for them, they leave it up to the individuals to do so or not.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 01 Oct 2013, 13:59

They dealt/are dealing with Khoo directly on a regular basis for StripSearch and the ENN/Checkpoint series so it makes the most sense for him to call out the Kickstarter to his followers. He has a pretty close relationship with LRR. The Shut Up and Sit Down guys on PATV are doing a crowdfunding campaign right now, too, and I don't recall seeing them getting a shout out ... from anyone.

I would think LRR have good reasons for not wanting to ask people to promote their Kickstarter and it's not just some nice Canadian thing. Raising capital is the time to be a greedy American, not a nice Canadian. :D
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Oct 2013, 18:51

Is there any way to access those in the Desert Bus crowd that may not regularly watch anything else by LRR? If so, that might be something to look into.
empath wrote:(something I just realized; unless they came looking for more Paul in other things, no ToMH fan knows what his voice sounds like... :twisted: )
I checked to see if there were any involuntary grunts or exclamations during the "Things on My January Outtakes" video, but no, none.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Oct 2013, 20:23

The desert bus chat has been made aware of the kickstarter but I dont know any way to contact people beyond them.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Oct 2013, 04:15

We don't WANT to ride the Desert Bus coattails on this. That's why we don't mention it at all on the KS page.

Desert Bus is its own wonderful thing, and we're not going to piggyback on the goodwill of running a charity, for our own benefit.

As for influential people who haven't tweeted about it that you feel "should have", that's not how things work. We're happy with the links and mentions we have received, and have no ill will towards anyone who hasn't.

No one owes us publicity.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Oct 2013, 04:50

Graham wrote:We don't WANT to ride the Desert Bus coattails on this. That's why we don't mention it at all on the KS page.

Desert Bus is its own wonderful thing, and we're not going to piggyback on the goodwill of running a charity, for our own benefit.

As for influential people who haven't tweeted about it that you feel "should have", that's not how things work. We're happy with the links and mentions we have received, and have no ill will towards anyone who hasn't.

No one owes us publicity.

And that, boys and girls is how you hold yourself to a standard :)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Oct 2013, 05:15

Amen to that
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 02 Oct 2013, 05:30

*Slow clap*

Also, back to the core topic, we're so close to more crapshots I can almost smell the horrid puns already.
"How do you stop bacon from curling in the pan?"
"You take away its tiny brooms!"

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Oct 2013, 06:44

Lord Hosk wrote:I think Graham has said repeatedly that they are appreciative of Robert Khoo who tweeted about the kickstarter early on and they appreciate anyone with any number of followers tweeting or spreading the word. But they wont be asking anyone directly to tweet for them, they leave it up to the individuals to do so or not.

Graham wrote:As for influential people who haven't tweeted about it that you feel "should have", that's not how things work. We're happy with the links and mentions we have received, and have no ill will towards anyone who hasn't.

Isn't that what I said? :lol:

[–]Graham_LRR
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 02 Oct 2013, 09:31

RedNightmare wrote:And that, boys and girls is how you hold yourself to a standard :)

A counterpoint, if you will.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:Rule 109: Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

No one 'owes' LRR publicity, no. Asking a person who already has some relationship with you to broadcast a message supporting work they themselves enjoy which also may interest their audience is hardly the equivalent of a spam message or junk mailer.

Asking Marshall of Limited Resources fame to tweet out a link to your Kickstarter and/or mention it on his podcast is worlds different than Ashton Kutcher or something. The same would apply to anyone that had an active guest spot on ENN/Checkpoint. Personal friends of the crew, ditto.

The LRR crew members chose to retweet info about many of the StripSearch artist Kickstarters. I wouldn't care if they had politely asked them to give him that publicity. I was glad to know it and I wouldn't have heard about them as quickly from any other source.

If there are other Kickstarters in the works, then it might make sense not to "cash in" on those connections. It's not a time to go Full Ferengi and try to get Taylor Swift to tweet about your video, but Enlightened Ferengi perhaps is on the table.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Oct 2013, 10:29

Quick update, I've finally managed to get my hands on a prepaid credit card so I can actually kick this starter. Now I've just gotta find the time to work out my budget...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 02 Oct 2013, 13:41

Dutch guy wrote:Quick update, I've finally managed to get my hands on a prepaid credit card so I can actually kick this starter. Now I've just gotta find the time to work out my budget...
So we'll know when Dutch Guy posts his donation by the Kickstarter pushing past $200k in one single donation. Biggest prepaid credit card ever.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Oct 2013, 13:46

The Dutch! AGAIN! ;)
c'mon - y'all were thinkin' it!

Graham wrote:No one owes us publicity.

...and this is all the more reason why you DESERVE it. :)

(I am SO platonically proud of you, man...I can't even-)
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Postby MatParker116 » 03 Oct 2013, 06:04

About a grand until more crap!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Oct 2013, 07:56

Yep. I don't doubt we'll get that.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”