The Loading Ready Run Kickstarter

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: The Loading Ready Run Kickstarter

Postby Kapol » 17 Sep 2013, 17:20

Pimpin J wrote:
At about 3 minutes into the Kickstarter video Graham says that if they exceed their goal they might do a remastered DVD of season 1.

He doesn't say anything about a DVD. He says, and I quote:

Graham Stark of House Stark wrote:...and maybe even a remastered edition of the grim horror known as season 1.

If you scroll down and look at the stretch goals on the kickstarter page, you'll notice that the reward is that they're going to release the entire season 1 online for free. Including the special features and original commentary, plus a new commentary.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 17 Sep 2013, 17:22

Kapol wrote:
Pimpin J wrote:
At about 3 minutes into the Kickstarter video Graham says that if they exceed their goal they might do a remastered DVD of season 1.

He doesn't say anything about a DVD. He says, and I quote:

Graham Stark of House Stark wrote:...and maybe even a remastered edition of the grim horror known as season 1.

If you scroll down and look at the stretch goals on the kickstarter page, you'll notice that the reward is that they're going to release the entire season 1 online for free. Including the special features and original commentary, plus a new commentary.

:(
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Sep 2013, 17:53

In the Q&A they talk about releasing all the information you would need to essentially build your own S1 DVD... a copy of the remastered DVD contents as a burnable disk image, and the graphics for the disk label and case. You would just have to write it to a DVDR and stick the label on by hand... which would make it a rather authentic replica of the original S1 DVDs.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 17 Sep 2013, 18:45

With new music there could ALSO be an actual DVD too.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Sep 2013, 19:27

If we donate enough you wont have to even change the music right?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 17 Sep 2013, 20:39

Lord Hosk wrote:If we donate enough you wont have to even change the music right?

That would honestly just be a waste of music money.
I've obviously not seen the episodes that have copyrighted music in them, but I doubt they would deteriorate substantially when updated with music they don't have to pay tons of money for.

Money that could be spent on so many other things, such as a live bear to play opposite Kathleen in the season 11 penultimate episode 'Ways to face your fears'

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 Sep 2013, 21:47

Graham wrote:With new music there could ALSO be an actual DVD too.

I was thinking something like that, but I didn't want to say anything since it's not my place to. I think I'd likely get an 'official' copy too.
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 17 Sep 2013, 22:53

Mara Kalat wrote:
Lord Hosk wrote:If we donate enough you wont have to even change the music right?

That would honestly just be a waste of music money.
I've obviously not seen the episodes that have copyrighted music in them, but I doubt they would deteriorate substantially when updated with music they don't have to pay tons of money for.

Money that could be spent on so many other things, such as a live bear to play opposite Kathleen in the season 11 penultimate episode 'Ways to face your fears'

Mara.

:shock: :shock: :shock: YES!
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 17 Sep 2013, 22:55

So apparently someone, and I'm not gonna name any Hosks... I mean names... chickened out of the Rejected Backer tier. What's up with that?
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 17 Sep 2013, 23:49

If you read the rest of the thread, you would find out!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 18 Sep 2013, 01:54

Less than $30000 to go!

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 18 Sep 2013, 06:50

I find it highly amusing that the cost of paying Bradley to write new music for Season 1 would probably exceed the entire budget of filming Season 1.

I've seen some of Season 1 and ... uh ... I don't know if people should be so excited. It isn't only licensing agreements that have kept it from public release. Season 1 LRR is very much like Season 1 MST3K. Graham has been futilely telling the fanbase for years. It looks like he's willing to sell his principles for approximately $250,000. ;)
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 18 Sep 2013, 06:56

I'd sell mine for half that so I wont begrudge anyone else doing that :P

Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 18 Sep 2013, 09:37

Graham wrote:With new music there could ALSO be an actual DVD too.

Its not just LRR that's had this kind of issue with licencing music. Happens with TV shows all the time. Biggest example I can think of is How I Met Your Mother season 1. If you watched the originally aired TV episodes, it has a bunch of different popular musical cues/songs that are replaced with relatively generic music on the DVD release. I'm not sure if that's really affected the syndication airings of it.

In other news...

Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 18 Sep 2013, 09:48

Huzzah!

Also, Doctor Who had the same problem with the 80s episode "Remembrance of the Daleks". There is a scene where Ace plays some music on a jukebox in the 1960s. In different DVD releases of the story, different music plays. Originally it was The Beatles that played, but on the original DVD release, and on all US releases of the story, a piece of generic 60s pop plays instead.

Other licensing fun facts, on the DVD release of Bill Bailey's Tinselworm, there is a segment where Bill Bailey changes the music track to an action movie. On the DVD there is a slightly jarring overdub as he introduces the segment where he says "I decided to put daytime TV music over an action scene from [overdub] a generic action movie [/overdub]". And a series of generic clips of things blowing up played with Bill Bailey doing his music thing. The audience really loves it, but it's hard to tell why because while it's funny, it's not uproariously funny. A year or so later I saw Bill Bailey live, and he did that bit again, but this time he played the daytime TV music over a clip from Terminator 3. It was much funnier and made much more sense. Turns out they couldn't get the rights for the DVD release.

But I Dye-Gretsch...
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Sep 2013, 10:09

That's also why it can take so long for some shows/movies to get on Netflix, why the DVD library is so much larger, and why different regions have very different/smaller (compared to the US) streaming libraries. Music licensing is a bitch, and Netflix would prefer not to overdub if they can avoid it (it adds cost for minimal extra revenue). Of course, there's often plenty of non-music licensing issues as well.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Pepsi-Plunge
First Video: Lobster vs. Scorpian

Postby Pepsi-Plunge » 18 Sep 2013, 10:21

Yeah, the end of a song on Tim Minchin live is him suddenly commentating over it to explain he went an parodied The Bodyguard and copy right lawyers are dicks.
I drifted off around Desert Bus 6, sort of drifting back in with a new account, don't be surprised if I'm shocked by old news...
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 18 Sep 2013, 11:06

Dix wrote:In other news...

Ah, the infamous dropping of after the huge start. Don't worry, it will keep going on slowly. I've heard most kickstarters also have a peak at the end, so here's hoping.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

ecocd

Postby ecocd » 18 Sep 2013, 12:49

RedNightmare wrote:Ah, the infamous dropping of after the huge start. Don't worry, it will keep going on slowly. I've heard most kickstarters also have a peak at the end, so here's hoping.

And a lot depends on the PR it gets. If they get a shout out from PA, for instance, they could bring in a huge single spike. This is also part of why they peak at the end. Expect to see a lot of Strip Search artists, for instance, tweeting about it in 20 days' time.
Dix

Postby Dix » 18 Sep 2013, 13:10

ecocd wrote:
RedNightmare wrote:Ah, the infamous dropping of after the huge start. Don't worry, it will keep going on slowly. I've heard most kickstarters also have a peak at the end, so here's hoping.

And a lot depends on the PR it gets. If they get a shout out from PA, for instance, they could bring in a huge single spike. This is also part of why they peak at the end. Expect to see a lot of Strip Search artists, for instance, tweeting about it in 20 days' time.

Graham sort of mentioned it a few pages back but opening up some newer prize tiers could definitely give a shock to the system in terms of getting those latecomers to the kickstarter. The a-la-carte options that were added for physical rewards definitely will help with this too. My guess would be releasing them in a coordinated 'strike' with plugs from the aforementioned PA/Strip Search artists/Escapist/etc could definitely help drive home the last few days (in which most popular campaigns get that nice little home stretch boost). Hell, we see that kind of activity happen in the waning hours of Desert Bus every year as well.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Sep 2013, 14:06

The Escapist Expo also happens the week before the Kickstarter ends, so plenty of advertising opportunities there.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 18 Sep 2013, 15:34

So what are the bets going down now for final total? My thinking is, "what's the highest you possibly think it could go? Now add 50%." I'll say $315,675. I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. I will be surprised if it finishes under $150,000.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Sep 2013, 15:43

My initial estimate is around $200,000, but I want additional data points before putting money down (although I suppose I already have put money down, hmm....).
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Sep 2013, 15:59

I highly doubt it'll go under $150k. I think we're in for some craps, which is exciting. I personally think around 300k sounds right. It's still a ways off, especially given we're over the big jump at the beginning. But with the various friends that the LRR crew is made, I think that they'll be able to make it that far. I hope they at least get to $250k. I personally really enjoyed Season 1 and would like the chance to own a copy of it.

As for the Escapist Expo, I think it's a double-edged sword. It's advertising, yes. But some people who go and are into LRR are using their money for that purpose (such as myself). I think we will see a spike in donations after it's over. I'm just not sure how much of one at the moment.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 Sep 2013, 16:10

Am I the only one who cannot wait for the "sexy" men of LRR calendar? :wink:

I'm guessing they're looking at around 200-250k. It really depends on a number of factors, like exposure. The weird thing that I do not quite understand with LRR is that everyone seems to love them, but people don't seem to remember who the hell they are. I don't really understand how that's possible, because they're great with branding, their stuff is on like three different networks, they work their asses off at cons... I just... I dunno.

Also, Kickstarters trends are not always predictable. Consider, for example, Fangamer's kickstarter:

That graph is the graph of a tangent function approaching an assymptote. Like, toward INFINITY DOLLARS. It makes no sense, because there wasn't a big explosion of advertising or anything. They just kept getting a shittone of NEW backers the days before the thing ended. Either everyone was putting off backing until the last second, or... I dunno what.

But anyway. Who knows what will happen.

Return to “General Discussion”