Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: Agents of SHIELD: Whadidyathink?

Postby JustAName » 30 Sep 2013, 14:03

Yeah, I figured he was a clone or they resurrected him in some strange way. My roommate thought at the beginning that he could be a hologram, but I don't know if holograms can drive...
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Sep 2013, 14:08

You obviously never seen Arnold Rimmer drive a motorbike in the episode 'Meltdown'.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Sep 2013, 14:40

Fayili wrote:Yeah, I figured he was a clone or they resurrected him in some strange way. My roommate thought at the beginning that he could be a hologram, but I don't know if holograms can drive...

Well I certainly didn't know 50's Corvette's could fly, but Coulson seems to disagree on that point, at least.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Sep 2013, 14:54

Coulson's great. Loved his introduction.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 30 Sep 2013, 20:37

I'm personally betting on the resurrection theory, with some sort of evil process they will have to angst over
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 30 Sep 2013, 20:44

ex-Lurker wrote:I'm personally betting on the resurrection theory, with some sort of evil process they will have to angst over

I'm guessing it'll be more along the line of the clone theory. Likely with the added situation where the clones become progressively more unstable as they have to modify and adjust Culson's mind, cumulating in Culson leaving the team as he 'dies' for good. Perhaps being corrupted enough in the end to go mad.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Sep 2013, 23:41

Dominic Appleguard wrote:He's not Luke Cage.
Source.

It was also said that Marion Cotillard would not be playing Talia Al Ghul in the Dark Knight Rises and look what happened... :P
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Oct 2013, 04:11

Um, I thought this was discussed in threads about The Avengers?

Fury lied - exaggerated Coulson's condition from near-death but the paras barely stabilized him in critical condition - to unite the team and undo Loki's 'destroy from within' strategy Again, THAT is just a theory, too - should be interesting to see what the Wheedons settle on...
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 01 Oct 2013, 04:24

Actually, I have a theory on this too

Ok, so the next movie's bad guy is Dr Pimm's robot Ultron, right? So, What I think Cobie Smulders was referring to when she said "He can never know" is that Shield put Coulson's mind into a robot body and dressed it up as him. Coulson is the 2nd movie's bad guy, tying the TV show directly into the multifilm narrative
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 01 Oct 2013, 05:55

Sorry Ptangmatik, I don't think that will happen Turning the most beloved character into a evil bad guy in both a series and a film? Could you imagine the outcry (then again, Joss Whedon seems to feed on that)

And Empath, the series hints at a different thing happening, once Coulson leaves the room.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Oct 2013, 19:06

Second episode: definitely a step up. The stinger pretty much makes the whole season worth it, regardless of what happens.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Oct 2013, 19:48

I think it needs a few more episodes to get running, its good, not great, the lead Generic McHunky? is that what you call him? Hes uninteresting, the whole cast is kinda uninteresting other than Agent Coulson and Mike Peterson but J. Richards was just kind of reprising his roll as Gunn, and Clark Gregg has been working out the kinks in that character for years.

The actors need to find who they are in the characters, and then the writers need to start writing for the actors, the first few episodes are always rough. Normally takes until episode 7 or 8 for things to start to click on any show.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
empath

Postby empath » 01 Oct 2013, 21:21

You've got a point, Hosk - Generic McHandsome-Hero is flat most because neither Brett nor Joss, Jed, Maurissa, Jeffrey, Jack or Stan know who he is yet. 'The solo operative' (seriously, I just watched the pilot episode and I've already forgotten his name? :? ) will be fleshed out more as more script for him is written, and more performance AS him is filmed...

...the real question is - will G. McH-H become someone with give a rat's ass about?

I'd hope so, but who knows?

I agree that something is a little 'hinky' in Phil's behaviour, but we'll just have to wait for that story arc, along with more backstory about 'the burned-out vet' and the 'I've {erased people's records from government databases} before' mononymic hacktivist. (sidenote: I find it FASCINATING that those last two words are not only in Google's dictionary, but I managed to spell them right. ;P)

To be honest, I dunno if we'll see more of Gunn Mike for a while yet; sounds like he's in rehabilitation. Likely things will go seriously pear-shaped later in the season as this whole 'centipede' thing is further investigated and the the newly-minted Agent Peterson shows up to save the day.

...dammit; I DID have this meta-awareness of narrative conventions and the like, but TVtropes certainly hasn't helped keep my 'innocent' surface appreciation for entertainment. :lol:
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Oct 2013, 02:05

Ok, so I've seen the start of episode 2 and new girl on the team, comedy geek is all "Yay, your bunk is right next to mine!" Combat agent disapproves of having her along, presumably going to learn to accept her, respect her then 'date' her.

I would like to be surprised, I really would, c'mon Joss.

Edit: Also, everyone, including the girl who used to live in her van, is catwalk-level hot. I understand that Americans are generally too shallow to care about a scripted show with ugly people, but there could at least be more than just Clark Gregg who's merely conventionally attractive, and I worry that if he wasn't thoroughly awesome they'd have replaced him too.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Oct 2013, 02:20

Oh, don't worry - Phil's Big Secret will sideline him for season 2, and Generic McHandsome-Dude will step up to the lead, and they'll have a buff, handsome agent step in to fill the bottom of the totem...

#wishes_he_was_kidding

ADDENDUM: something that had been nagging at me for a while finally crystallized in my brain while it was idle as my body did its auto-pilot stuff in the shower just now:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. == Welcome to America, Torchwood.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Oct 2013, 02:54

Seriously, if Coulson is Ultron and his A.I. mind gets taken over by Ultron's generally evil hive identity, only for Coulson to 'fight back' and regain control, allowing whatever token nerd to hack into Ultron's network through Coulson's body I will be disappointed. Also Ultron has a habit of pulling the 'Agent Smith'/'Multiple Man'/'Borg' tactic of having hundreds of himself, which means animators only have to animate one model then replicate it ad infinitum. Handy for them, cliched for us
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 02 Oct 2013, 03:20

Torchwood already came to United Statesia though...

But yes, I am enjoying Torchwood Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. so far, even though it's a bit predictable. Sadly, I have to agree with most of the predictions, except Ptangmatik's theory (sorry).
#TeamKroze
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Oct 2013, 03:23

Damnit, does this mean I have to go kidnap Whedon and handcuff him to a typewriter again? This time I'll even remember to bolt the typewriter to the desk so he can't just brain me with it and run off.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Oct 2013, 04:20

I get the feeling that Coulsons knows more about his coming back then he lets on. He keeps putting emphasis on it being "A magical place"* and mentioned having a "post-death crisis".

*granted, this could be a running joke
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Oct 2013, 06:31

Maybe im just nit picking here like, how fast can that plane fly? It flys at the speed of plot. But

at the end of episode two, hacker girl gets and sends a clandestine text. No biggy, wait, they are at a super secret military base.
I know what you are thinking, what there are no cell towers on military bases?

No, they often place them nearby so that people living on post can use cell phones but they aren't on base, and they especially would not be on super secret ones. So if she had access it had to be through a shield tower, which any "smart hacker" would realize. Before you say she could have been getting just the edge of a tower you dont need much signal for a text, the base they were at was extremely remote, how remote? they could secretly fire rockets into space! NO ONE KNEW THEY WERE FIRING ROCKETS! 50 miles away you know when they shoot off a rocket, you can see it from further if you are looking, and trust me if there is a secret military installation, someone is looking.

P.s. is she hacker girl or van girl? I forget what we agreed to.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Oct 2013, 09:06

I enjoyed episode 2. It's more of the same.
It was nice to see Nick Fury in the button scene.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Oct 2013, 09:09

Cancel the fishtank is my real big fish all kazoo cover band

[–]Graham_LRR
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Oct 2013, 09:40

My issue with the plane is the rear engines. They're right in the exhaust path of the main engines, which is just all kinds of bad. Unless they're not actually used in flight but flip vertical for VTOL action or something.
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 02 Oct 2013, 12:32

So... Episode 2 was good enough that I'll watch Episode 3.

The Good: At least, there's a reasonable amount of character evolution. Some other shows would drag on the loner hero bit for a season or three, but clearly Whedon prefers to have a more realistic evolution in his characters.

There's also the tantalizing hints that Coulson is aware of what happened to bring him back, and that him and Fury know that Skye is trying to con them... I really, really like the idea of Coulson being this really genial and flat-out nice mastermind running a long con on Rising Tide.

The Bad: The two nerds are really getting on my nerves. The Manic Pixie Dream Girl archetype works for a shallow female one-shot character. It doesn't work for a recurring character, and it especially doesn't work for male characters.

Generic McHero was still very forgettable (I honestly have no idea what his name his. Joss should just have called him Riley - he's basically the same character anyway, only blander.

The Uncertain:

The Cavalry I'm still unsure about. I'm loving the casting choice, certainly. Whoever is playing her is definitely selling the aloof veteran with a mysterious past. It also helps that she doesn't seem to actually be burnt out - I get more of a "been there, done that, I was good at it but now I want to do something else" from here, which is actually something I can relate to.

Of course, the fact that I latched onto the nickname instead of her name probably goes to show that she needs more development too. :)
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 02 Oct 2013, 12:37

Lord Hosk wrote:Maybe im just nit picking here like, how fast can that plane fly? It flys at the speed of plot. But

at the end of episode two, hacker girl gets and sends a clandestine text. No biggy, wait, they are at a super secret military base.
I know what you are thinking, what there are no cell towers on military bases?

No, they often place them nearby so that people living on post can use cell phones but they aren't on base, and they especially would not be on super secret ones. So if she had access it had to be through a shield tower, which any "smart hacker" would realize. Before you say she could have been getting just the edge of a tower you dont need much signal for a text, the base they were at was extremely remote, how remote? they could secretly fire rockets into space! NO ONE KNEW THEY WERE FIRING ROCKETS! 50 miles away you know when they shoot off a rocket, you can see it from further if you are looking, and trust me if there is a secret military installation, someone is looking.

We don't know that it was a text message; it's more likely that she was using the plane's satellite wi-fi (what kind of mobile command center wouldn't have satellite wi-fi, after all?). So now we're asked to accept that she can do this without SHIELD's knowledge, which more or less gibes with what we know about her so far.
As for the speed of the plane, based on the way the show was edited we don't actually know how far the plane flew or how long it took.

Return to “General Discussion”