DB007

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: DB007

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Nov 2013, 16:53

AdmiralMemo wrote:When I oversleep my alarms and miss an auction I want, I always end up with mixed feelings. I'm like "Oh crap! I missed the auction." *refresh page* "Oy... I probably would have bid WAY MORE THAN that much."

$8,172 Is a big number
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 20 Nov 2013, 17:39

Lord Hosk wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:When I oversleep my alarms and miss an auction I want, I always end up with mixed feelings. I'm like "Oh crap! I missed the auction." *refresh page* "Oy... I probably would have bid WAY MORE THAN that much."

$8,172 Is a big number

Yea I never have planned to get any of the live or silent auction items. I know the money goes to a great cause but I cant afford to drop $300 - $8000.

This year I went in for the Sentinels box giveaway and got a challenge done :D .

I will probably also buy a shirt and poster and donate when Matt is driving.

But as far as giveaways go, they already did the LRR set. :(
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 20 Nov 2013, 18:24

I'm holding back for the gaming PC and the SDCC black planeswalkers since I'd really like them, but I'm guessing I'm quickly approaching my limit. I bought a poster and threw in for a few giveaways.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 20 Nov 2013, 18:58

I'm waiting for more giveaways that appeal to me. And whatever is left in my budget on the last day goes towards the poster or the shirt.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Nov 2013, 00:45

Honestly, I don't care for the fact people who win live auctions are entered into the giveaways too. Yes, it is true that the random system makes sure that they aren't guaranteed to win. But their chances go up a huge amount, which also decreases the chances of those of us who can't donate as much.

A recent example was the PC that Asty won. According to Dix, Asty had an 8.6% chance of winning. Which doesn't sound like much. But considering that that's out of over 10,000 entries, that's a considerable chance.

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for the people who pay so much for charity. I just think that it hurts the giveaways as a whole. Like whenever a giveaway happens in the same span as an auction, I really don't care to donate for that giveaway as much. Though I personally have a set donation amount at the start, so that doesn't change anything for me.

I apologize if I come off as whiny, or if I'm alone on this. It's just kind of annoyed me since the start.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 21 Nov 2013, 01:28

I'd like to think I contributed a memorable challenge this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4lV8O9eBOI
Image Image Image
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Nov 2013, 01:49

I hope next Desert Bus I have the confidence and space to contribute to the art challenges.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 21 Nov 2013, 06:11

[AJ Video]

Just in case anyone didn't see the Al Jazeera report.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Nov 2013, 06:31

Kapol wrote:Honestly, I don't care for the fact people who win live auctions are entered into the giveaways too. Yes, it is true that the random system makes sure that they aren't guaranteed to win. But their chances go up a huge amount, which also decreases the chances of those of us who can't donate as much.

A recent example was the PC that Asty won. According to Dix, Asty had an 8.6% chance of winning. Which doesn't sound like much. But considering that that's out of over 10,000 entries, that's a considerable chance.

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for the people who pay so much for charity. I just think that it hurts the giveaways as a whole. Like whenever a giveaway happens in the same span as an auction, I really don't care to donate for that giveaway as much. Though I personally have a set donation amount at the start, so that doesn't change anything for me.

I apologize if I come off as whiny, or if I'm alone on this. It's just kind of annoyed me since the start.

Just by way of a counter view: this is the first Desert Bus in which I have been able to donate, and even that isn't very much. The donation drives give me a trigger excuse to donate- the tiny chance of victory is that little thing that makes me donate now rather than later, and makes me donate at times and in amounts I otherwise wouldn't. I know I'm not going to win, but the idea that I might (regardless of how small the chance is) makes me give more. I too had a (rather small) donation amount at the start, but I've already gone over that from such giveaway donations and know I will give more, so I guess it works.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Nov 2013, 07:50

I'm too aware about statistics to take part in the donation drive.
Perhaps when I have an income my perception of donation drives will change.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Nov 2013, 07:55

Lord Hosk wrote:
$8,172 Is a big number
Yeah, that's going to happen, and why I wouldn't've bid as much as previous auctions went for, as I was saving for that. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 21 Nov 2013, 08:56

I missed it when it was live, but I managed to watch the Youtube clip of Cam reading the stories and I was very happy with the result. I also showed it to friends and family and everybody loves it.
It also gave me an idea. What if artists watching Desert Bus did commissions for other viewers and the commissioner would give the money to Desert Bus? It would be a way for people who don't have a lot of money to spend to be able to give money and get something in return. I'm thinking small commissions in the 5 to 10 dollar range. There's only 30 hours left so it would have to be done soon I think.
EDIT:
In retrospect, I think it may be too late to do it this year. But next year maybe.
Last edited by Psycat Aurora on 21 Nov 2013, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 21 Nov 2013, 09:00

Finally. XD I've been trying for over a day to get Dashton performed. I think it went alright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdr6IcJq5w
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Nov 2013, 09:32

Psycat, that's a really good idea, I bet a lot of people would be interested.

Fayili wrote:Finally. XD I've been trying for over a day to get Dashton performed. I think it went alright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdr6IcJq5w

Hah, that was great.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 21 Nov 2013, 10:29

Thanks. When Desert Bus is done I can pitch it to the crew for next year.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 21 Nov 2013, 12:27

Fayili wrote:Finally. XD I've been trying for over a day to get Dashton performed. I think it went alright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdr6IcJq5w

I just watched this. I laughed way too hard. Dix's reaction at the very end was priceless.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Nov 2013, 13:08

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Just by way of a counter view: this is the first Desert Bus in which I have been able to donate, and even that isn't very much. The donation drives give me a trigger excuse to donate- the tiny chance of victory is that little thing that makes me donate now rather than later, and makes me donate at times and in amounts I otherwise wouldn't. I know I'm not going to win, but the idea that I might (regardless of how small the chance is) makes me give more. I too had a (rather small) donation amount at the start, but I've already gone over that from such giveaway donations and know I will give more, so I guess it works.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. I think that the donation drives are a great way to earn money, and they offer people the chance to get prizes for their money.

My problem is the fact that people who win the live (and I assume silent, though those don't seem as big a deal) can 'double dip.' It basically means they're getting the item they wanted, and have a huge chance of winning the item from the drive too. When normally the item they won is worth what they paid alone, and many likely would have bought them anyways without the ability to double dip like that.

The reason that's a problem to me is that it drastically lower the odds of people like you or I's chances of winning without really raising that much more for the children. In fact, I'd argue it could raise less, due to people not wanting to enter when someone just dropped 50% of the entries from donating from an auction.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I'm too aware about statistics to take part in the donation drive.
Perhaps when I have an income my perception of donation drives will change.

Honestly, the chances of winning aren't that bad unless it's a pretty huge item or it happens during an auction period. Even if it's just a huge item, your chances aren't really awful, at least compared to what you'd have in a normal raffle. Even if there's 1000 entries like the computer had, your chances are still 0.1%, which isn't bad when a lot of stuff that big has thousands of entries. And that's the biggest example. For smaller stuff, it'll normally be just 1% or .5%. Not great by any means, but it's not like you're playing the lottery in terms of unlikeliness.

Though I do admit that the fact they're making so many of the donation drives pretty high amounts is a turn-off for me personally.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 21 Nov 2013, 14:57

Anyone got a link to PaulQuest? I can't find it on YouTube.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Nov 2013, 15:39

I wrote a book!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 21 Nov 2013, 15:49

Yay, they did my compliment challenge again this year!

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 21 Nov 2013, 16:32

I have a challenge marked as complete that happened after I went to sleep. Does anybody know if the VST has uploaded a funeral for the lobster?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Nov 2013, 16:33

Not sure if it's uploaded, but I think it was done right after some other challenges, so the odds are pretty good. It was really surreal, I can tell you that.

I wrote a book!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 21 Nov 2013, 16:36

That's what I was hoping for.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 21 Nov 2013, 16:55

Apparently it's in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2wW-6aBtXM

SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 21 Nov 2013, 19:00

Jamfalcon wrote:Here you go.

Awesome. Thanks man.

Return to “General Discussion”