I Require Assistance Getting a Laptop Part!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

I Require Assistance Getting a Laptop Part!

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Oct 2013, 00:39

I am a Programmer/Gamer who's HP Pavilion DV7 Laptop has broken down(An error which HP Laptops have had for 3 years and hasn't been fixed). The problem is the CPU Fan, which I'd like to point out is the only thing aside from the Thermal Paste keeping the thing cool. So, the CPU Fan is broken. It's a 3-wire HP Laptop fan, and I've had no luck on eBay, so -- although I know I'm grasping at straws here -- I really need this Laptop fixed! It's been broken for way too long!

And now some helpful advice for those seeking new laptops: Don't get Acers(They'll break down every few months), don't get TOSHIBAs(Cooling worse than the original 360s), and don't get HPs(They won't last you any longer than two years if you don't get an extended warranty, which doubles the price)! All these makes are horrible and should be avoided! The best in my experience is Dell, although their battery lives shorten after a couple of years.

Anyway, basically, does anyone know where I can get a replacement HP 3-Wire Laptop CPU Fan?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: I Require Assistance Getting a Laptop Part!

Postby Jimor » 26 Oct 2013, 01:07

Obligatory "Clean the Fan" music video link.

Do you really need to get an HP specific fan or is there something with the same specs/connection you can use instead? (Sometimes this is a dumb question, sometimes it isn't, and knowing HP, I wouldn't be surprised if they did have some kind of completely proprietary unit here.)

I did find this, but it looks like they only ship to U.S. addresses, which doesn't help you. Or this on Amazon.com (again shipping would probably be killer if they shipped to UK at all).

Ahh, maybe this from ebay UK? (2nd listed)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 26 Oct 2013, 01:08

The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Oct 2013, 01:59

I like my HP laptop. It's never broken except for when I personally damaged it (first one drowned in Beer & Cider mix, this current one got smothered by Acrylic Ink and I ripped out its keyboard).

I'm looking for a desktop myself because you get better value for money for power.
This current laptop will do me well for mobile use, even if I have to carry a USB keyboard with it.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Oct 2013, 11:26

I hate my HP laptop, mainly because I really need to clean the fan and I do not have the patience to completely disassemble the damn thing.

Good luck.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 26 Oct 2013, 11:37

Re: Dells. I have a Dell and it's pretty poorly designed, the fan vents are in such bad places that both are blocked very easily (say, by your leg, or by the screen itself). The hinges are strong but fall apart really easily and I've managed to scratch the heck out of the screen even with careful use. It's also horrendously slow now and I'm currently doing everything I can to make it reasonable again. The power supply is also awful (I had to tape it back together after about 6 mo of use) but I don't know if I can entirely blame them for that.

I have had Dells in the past and they were decent but if anyone's looking for laptops I would recommended ASUS instead of Dell, everything I've seen/owned by ASUS is pretty solid and has held up so far. From what I saw shopping for my roommate, you can get better specs on an ASUS for cheaper than a Dell as well (though keep in mind we are in Canada, where prices don't seem to be based on any form of logic).
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Oct 2013, 21:25

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll look into the links you've posted further, since -- on the surface -- they look the same, but some of them might not work.

So, some of you have been saying that HP make great laptops, and that is indeed what a lot of people say, but the worst thing about the fans in HP laptops is that it's completely random if it'll break down on any given day or not.

Also, Auberginequeen, I have heard that ASUS are good, although I've never actually had any experience with them.

Oh, and -- for the sake of complete information -- cleaning the fan didn't work for me. Even after taking the whole thing apart, taking out the fan and using a tooth-pick to clean it, then re-connecting it, the thing is still broken.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 30 Oct 2013, 13:03

If you can afford the initial outlay, I highly recommend business-class laptops. Many of my friends have had their laptops physically break on them in one way or another, so I think the ruggedness may help if it can keep you from having to buy another laptop soon after the warranty expires.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 01 Nov 2013, 12:10

I don't think I'm getting another laptop for the forseeable future(Thanks for the advice anyway, though). The next computer I get will be a desktop.
Also, in case anyone even slightly cares, a friend of mine has a HP fan that might be the one I need, so I should be able to find out if it's the right one tomorrow.

Return to “General Discussion”