What Does Your Username Mean to You?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: What Does Your Username Mean to You?

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Nov 2013, 11:50

My username's story got me a lot of points in The Lying Game.
Mwhahahahaahha!.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Nov 2013, 11:58

Mine was the final form of a charicter I played in a Massive BBS based online role playing game set in the first Star Wars RPG.

Step one become a smuggler
Step two Almost get caught several times and have to dump cargo
Step three Buy a flurry class cargo ship.
Step four Exploit the rules which consider Grain and medical supplies to be "legitimate cargo" but allow any shipments taken to a blockaded planet to command 10X the going rate.
Step four A. Approch imperial blockade and allow them to inspect cargo
Step four B. Land on the planet with the approved cargo and offload for a bazillion credits
Step four C. Repeat
Step 5 Legally buy more ships with the legal amount of heavy weapons based on their class and hire crews until you have a fleet so large that you can take on 3 imperial star destroyers by shear volume of firepower.
Step 6 follow the GM's request and sell the fleet, buying a "small moon or something" and buy Hosk Station.
Step 7 start being called Lord Hosk.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Nov 2013, 12:04

I...had a feeling the story of your name would be very interesting, Lord Hosk.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Nov 2013, 12:12

Mine means I was slightly more creative than everybody called "MasterChief1234" on Halo forums back in 2001.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Nov 2013, 13:00

Memo came from 9th Grade Spanish class. The teacher made us all come up with Spanish nicknames for use in class to acclimatize us to the language. (We were to choose from a specific list in the book, too.) I was going to go for Miguel, which is the Spanish form of Michael. However, one of my classmates chose it first (mainly because his last name came first on the alphabet). The teacher gave me an extra day to decide, and I narrowed it down to either "Caesar" or "Memo" and I chose "Memo" which is a nickname of "Guillermo"
Then, for the rest of high school, several classmates would call me "Memo" anywhere. So the name stuck.
In 11th grade, I got my first foray into online life, and I started making up usernames... Unimaginatively, I went with MrMemo usually, since "Memo" was typically taken already. (Remnants of this era can be seen in my AIM username, my NeoPets name, and my Yahoo email address.)

Then, a few months later, I started frequenting a Star Trek role-playing chat room called "United Empire of Planets"
I started off as "Mr. Memo" and went from there.
A while later, after the chat room had morphed into "Guinan's Bar," I decided to make my character have a split personality, and "Admiral" had the M and R in the right positions, so, allowing for the colored names, I created Admiral Memo, with the A, D, I, A, and L differently colored. This went on for a while, until eventually, the "Admiral" personality absorbed the "Mr." personality. (I eventually rebooted my character with a completely different back-story, especially in the move to "Maquis Universal.")

After the creation of "Admiral Memo" I started making all my new usernames as AdmiralMemo, since, as far as I've been able to tell, it hasn't been taken anywhere by other people prior to my joining. A search on Google for "Admiral Memo" or "AdmiralMemo" will pick me out right away. (If you search for my real name, "Michael Moore," you will likely not find me.)

So, my username is a natural evolution from some arbitrary choices I made.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 01 Nov 2013, 13:43

I blame Kroze for my nickname... which is based off the username I use nearly everywhere online (dixonij) which in turn is my last name, first initial, and middle initial.

Dix just works.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 01 Nov 2013, 14:18

First time I've actually used this one. I've had two default usernames over the substantial course of my internetizenship and they 1) Named after a thing from another thing. I'd rather come up with something original. 2) Original but xtreem and rad in a really teenager-y way.
Just picked some words of my list of words I like, with the influence of;
I enjoy being unclear and confusing, sometimes I creep people out.
It's sort of like a capitalfied Homestuck username.
Nebulous is spelled wrong to fit within the forum's character limit.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 01 Nov 2013, 15:29

My name is an arcane form of a common verb. I like to think I am the action of making; of turning a thing from not being a thing to being a thing. (Stop me if I'm being too technical.) I used to be "Maker", so as to have both a job description and a religiou statement for my name, but I thought this would be more subtle and yet more direct.

Ah, the vanities of writers.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 01 Nov 2013, 15:46

I can only let you guys speculate how I came to receive this name.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 01 Nov 2013, 15:55

Mine came about from trying to think of a cool non-just-my-name Username, and I remembered ow those weird "scan a barcode at the super market while your mom gets groceries" pet monster games from commercials of my childhood, and it kind of stuck. Originally wanted to put numbers on the end, but on an LRR forum, it seemed kind of tacky. Actually was going to change it back to my gamertag, AttackoftheZac, but a couple weeks after getting tired of how in-apt it was, I got hired at a security firm and now 50% of my job is walking around scanning barcodes. Kinda funny how that works out.

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Nov 2013, 17:51

TheRocket wrote:I can only let you guys speculate how I came to receive this name.

You accidentally filmed the wrong launch pad when a rocket took off?*

*Very vague reference to one of the Crew members of Red Dwarf who actually did that.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Postby Snowman » 01 Nov 2013, 22:55

There was a blizzard the day I needed to create my Steam gamer tag (my gaming pc had just been delivered), I was planning on picking a better name later but never cared enough to follow through on that.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 02 Nov 2013, 06:58

Many years ago while at a party in San Antonio an inebriated friend of mine dared me to walk up to this girl and tell her I was Pimpin J from ATX (Austin Texas). I did and after that he just kept calling me that. Only him and a few other people refer to me that way, the rest of my friends don't know the story.

And since then I have used the name on Steam, various forums and for my badge name at cons.
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Nov 2013, 07:23

Chrusher is a contraction of my first and last name. It has been my nickname since elementary school. I usually use a different user name (Korandder) online but I used Chrusher here since I knew Graham from school. I can't remember why I added Lord.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Nov 2013, 07:47

Pimpin' J, are you small-time pimpin', midrange pimpin', or big pimpin', spendin' Gs?

And Lord Chrusher, how often do you get "Shut up, Wesley?"

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 02 Nov 2013, 07:52

Fezzel (Fez-elle) was my gamer tag on Halo, then on DoTA and other games. I just made it up one day, entering letters in to the profile creator. I liked the ring it had. When I started going on forums and stuff I needed a name, and Fezzel seemed to work. Though I decided to change the spelling to Fezzul (Pronounced Fez-uhl) because I liked the ring of it better. It's just kind of stuck, and I use it for consistency.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 02 Nov 2013, 08:36

Prospero101 wrote:Pimpin' J, are you small-time pimpin', midrange pimpin', or big pimpin', spendin' Gs?

And Lord Chrusher, how often do you get "Shut up, Wesley?"

Strictly small-time 8)
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Nov 2013, 08:37

Prospero101 wrote:And Lord Chrusher, how often do you get "Shut up, Wesley?"

I don't think I have every got that. I rarely hear of anyone making the Star Trek connection.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Nov 2013, 10:00

Well, that's disappointing. In that spirit:

SHUT UP, WESLEY!!!

Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 02 Nov 2013, 10:46

My username is a portemanteau of my former real name, back when I was married to my ex, and is now my unofficial middle name - hopefully to become my actual middle name at some point.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 02 Nov 2013, 11:02

Pimpin J wrote:Strictly small-time 8)

Not Aggravated Pimpin'?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Nov 2013, 13:53

Prospero101 wrote:I...had a feeling the story of your name would be very interesting, Lord Hosk.

YEAH...I used to go as "JediMaster35" but that sorta fell away because it was just jediMaster and a random number because jedimaster was taking as a email address. I think I am TSS_fan on the PA site because I joined that while I was watching the screen savers and was kinda active on their forum.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 02 Nov 2013, 14:37

Three of my favorite animals are ocelots, pomeranians, and otters. I came up with ocelotter years ago, imagining a disturbingly cute hybrid of an ocelot and an otter, and later realized I could add in one more adorable critter via portmanteaux. So I did!

To me, the name reminds me of three things I love at once, and also appeals to my sense of wordplay. It's been my username on a number of sites now.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 02 Nov 2013, 19:22

Mine is a reference to Astérix and Obelix. The term "viscomica" comes from latin and I think it means "capable of making someone laugh". It appeared at the beginning of an Astérix comic referring to Goscinny and Uderzo and I thought it was pretty cool so I use it as my username.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 03 Nov 2013, 02:20

I joined the forums after I'd been following LRR for a while. The first few Phailhäuses had just happened and then came "Failure". So I made an account to post in the Ask a Question thread for the LRRcast about just why the ribbing on the Dutch. (If any country deserves ribbing for not speak any other language its the french IMHO)

My usual username at the time wasn't really useful as it was a dutch term. So I came up with a very clear description of who I am :)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.

Return to “General Discussion”