A question anyone who has seen Ender's Game [SPOILERS]

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

A question anyone who has seen Ender's Game [SPOILERS]

Postby KiteNeravar » 01 Nov 2013, 16:21

Is Ender's final test played out as "I'm sick of this shit, I just want out so I'm going to do the one thing you explicitly told me never to do" or is it "hey here's how to win this test let's do it"?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: A question anyone who has seen Ender's Game [SPOILERS]

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Nov 2013, 16:35

According to Movie bob.

Yes

The child actors play a fairly convincing "lets pass this test" followed by "WHAT?" However again as MB said "Asa Butterfield is a great actor but no one is that good"

The adult actors were written really heavy handedly so even if you dont know whats coming, you know whats coming, because they are shown the whole movie to be intentionally misleading and being secretive.

The final test is done in such a dramatic intense edge of your seat SFX rock show that the reveal is sorta "uhh yeah we just watched the biggest battle scene ever with power cords and everything"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 01 Nov 2013, 21:47

I remember when I was reading the book I thought about how hard it would be to make a movie out of it, because it's just a bunch of naked kids in a space station.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Nov 2013, 02:17

Watching MovieBob's review has made me remember, regardless of execution, what a fundamentally good story Ender's Game is...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 02 Nov 2013, 03:47

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Watching MovieBob's review has made me remember, regardless of execution, what a fundamentally good story Ender's Game is...

I hold out very little hope that the movie will be any good, but I'm taking my wife to see it so she will finally want to read the book.

For those that haven't, Ender's Shadow is one of the best companion pieces i've ever read
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Nov 2013, 03:54

I read Shadow before Game and loved it, but thought the sequels were somewhat weak. They weren't really a story of the same sort.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 05 Nov 2013, 14:57

I just got back from watching this. Enjoyed it a lot. The reveal was definitely telegraphed, but I think Ender's line about how you win shows that he was deliberately being risky to pass the test rather than trying to win the war.

I think Asa Butterfield has an Oscar in his future. Damn good actor.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 05 Nov 2013, 16:29

Here are some other opinions.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Nov 2013, 16:33

Wait what they're naked?
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 05 Nov 2013, 17:15

Bebop Man wrote:Wait what they're naked?

Like, all the time.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Nov 2013, 17:30

I thought it was a bit "Paint By Numbers" like MovieBob said, but it was... Basically what I was expecting. The visuals were good and they pulled the movie off well. It wasn't Earth-shattering, but it was good. I took my mom, my dad, and one of my dad's friends. They didn't see the twist ending coming. They liked it. So, it's a good movie to watch, but I'm not going to be like "GO WATCH THIS MOVIE NOW!"
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 05 Nov 2013, 22:43

AlexanderDitto wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:Wait what they're naked?

Like, all the time.

One of the few things book purists (hopefully) won't complain about.

The book was good (although I guess I haven't read it in years now), so I'm probably gonna have to see the movie.

Do they action-movie-ify (Prolong battle sequences, diminish character interactions, etc...) it, or do they leave the story as is?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Nov 2013, 19:01

Volafortis wrote:Do they action-movie-ify (Prolong battle sequences, diminish character interactions, etc...) it, or do they leave the story as is?
There is a heavy amount of movie-ification going on. There's a bunch of time spent in the set-up on Earth, and then with Ender as a launchie and in Salamander has a significant amount of time as well. However, the whole bit from being promoted to Dragon Army to the final Battle Room lasts about 5 to 10 minutes, when there's a whole bunch of book dealing with that section, and how Ender learns how to command and lead, and deal with his underlings. I was heavily disappointed about that bit. Once Ender moves off to Command School, the interactions heavily drop, except for with Petra and with Mazer (though, to be honest, they do in the book, too, but not to as much extent as the movie). The final battle was not as long as I thought they'd make it, which is actually a point in its favor. They didn't stretch it out too much.

I did like MovieBob's commentary on the movie:

"A barely-ambulatory Harrison Ford teaches Asa Butterfield how to play Eve Online for the Kinect."
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Dec 2013, 10:20

So I saw this over the weekend and I left thinking "ok I can see a couple of those changes for time, but some of the changes were just bad."
Ender never kills anyone until the bug battles.
He isnt shown to be exhausted and pushed to the breaking point which is what makes him make the choice at the end. I guess I understand him going Salamander to Dragon for time reasons, but they really needed to show him winning winning winning, in the battle room. The final battle didnt put him on top, he had like 4 times the score of the second place team and had never lost, no matter how much they stacked it up in the opponents favor, running 3 or 4 battles a day and then the final battle when ender said "you know what if you arent going to play fair im not either, forget your stupid game.

But the thing that really pissed me off was they made Bonzo tiny when the whole point was that he was a huge dominating presence.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 10 Dec 2013, 10:02

Late to the party, but I'll throw in my two cents:

I love the book. I love it to death.

I think this is the best possible adaptation we could have gotten. I would have loved to see more interaction with the Dragons prior to Command School -- and I'm hopeful that such footage may exist for a Director's Cut or Extended Edition -- but I don't think a perfectly-faithful adaptation would have been remotely possible.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.

Return to “General Discussion”