Back By Popular Demand, It's Famous Last Words!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: 365 Famous Last Words for 2014

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Mar 2014, 12:38

Busy birthday weekend. Also I read far, far too many comics.

South American revolutionary Simon Bolivar might have said "Dammit! How will I ever get out of this labryinth!" or simply "Fetch the luggage. They do not want us here." Sources differ.

Denis Diderot, French Enlightenment scholar who gave us the world's first encyclopedia, said to his wife, "How the devil do you think this could harm me?" when she admonished him for eating too much.

The last line of Roger Ebert's last public blog post, written two days before his death, read: "So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for coming on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 24 Mar 2014, 12:43

Are you sure about Bolívar? Weren't his last words "I have plowed the sea"?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Mar 2014, 12:45

Those are the only two ones I've read from Bolivar, but you might know better than me, Bebop.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Mar 2014, 08:43

Not a clue man, Bolívar is a big hero in the northern South American countries. In Argentina he's just a footnote. We never really learn anything about him except he won the freedom of such and such country.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 26 Mar 2014, 13:46

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck washing dishes. With a big knobbly stick.

Marilyn Monroe's last words were addressed to Rat Pack tagalong Peter Lawford. "Say goodbye to Pat (Patricia Kennedy Lawford, Peter Lawford's wife and JFK's sister), say goodbye to Jack (JFK), and say goodbye to yourself, because you're a nice guy."

No one gives a shit about Peter Lawford. Although Frank and Dino used to call him the "First Brother-in-Lawford."

Pancho Villa is often quoted as saying "Don't let it end like this! Tell them I said something!" but this is probably apocryphal. He was shot in the chest and head several times, so it's more likely that he didn't have time to say anything.

Prospero101

Re: Actually More Like 300 Famous Last Words for 2014

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Apr 2014, 06:57

I HAVE TWO JOBS AND DO NOT NEED YOUR SASS

Ernst Rohm was the co-founder of the Nazi "Storm Battalion" or SA. He was among a number of high-ranking Nazi officials suspected of conspiring against Adolf Hitler and rounded up during the 1934 Night of Long Knives. He was given a pistol and told he had ten minutes to use it. He refused, saying "If Adolf wants me dead, let him do it himself." He was promptly shot in the chest by SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Michael Lippert.

The SS had their own names for ranks for no other reason than they felt like it. "Obersturmbannfuhrer" was "Senior assault unit leader," roughly analogous to lieutenant colonel.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Apr 2014, 07:02

°donates more sass°
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Apr 2014, 07:03

Or, as John O'Farrell puts it 'the Nazi military organisation was named with all the subtlety and maturity of a fourteen year old heavy metal fan'.

I mean calling your high command 'the Eagle's Nest' and a dedicated group of 'Death's Head' units- seriously, how did they not realise they were the bad guys in all of this?!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Apr 2014, 07:18

Germans really like their titles. Granted, I would too if I were German - the language makes everything sound ridiculously impressive.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Apr 2014, 08:18

Master Gunner wrote:Germans really like their titles. Granted, I would too if I were German - the language makes everything sound ridiculously impressive.

Indeed. My favorite German word is the perhaps the shittiest anti-tank weapon ever produced, but it still sounds impressive.

PANZERFAUST!

There's also the town in Germany that I'm sure is perfectly lovely but is intimidating nonetheless: LEIPZIG!

KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 02 Apr 2014, 09:44

Prospero101 wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:Germans really like their titles. Granted, I would too if I were German - the language makes everything sound ridiculously impressive.

Indeed. My favorite German word is the perhaps the shittiest anti-tank weapon ever produced, but it still sounds impressive.

PANZERFAUST!

There's also the town in Germany that I'm sure is perfectly lovely but is intimidating nonetheless: LEIPZIG!

Panzerfaust is now my Battle Cry
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Apr 2014, 09:55

THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 03 Apr 2014, 07:22

Here's one I probably should have done for Death Row week.

Serial killer Carl Panzram said, "Hurry up, you Hoosier bastard! I could kill ten men in the time you're fooling about!" shortly before he was executed by hanging on September 5, 1930.

Depending on who you ask, "Hoosier" is either a derogatory term or affectionate nickname for someone from Indiana.

Panzram was a charming fellow. Initially given 25 years in jail at the Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary, he told the warden, "I'll kill the first fucker that bothers me." Sure enough, he killed Robert Warnke, foreman of the prison laundry, by beating him to death with an iron bar. He was sentenced to death and refused any appeals, even threatening to kill human rights activists who tried to intervene on his behalf.

Prospero101

Re: I Dunno, Some Famous Last Words, I Guess

Postby Prospero101 » 10 Apr 2014, 07:50

Alright, look. Here are the facts. I have two jobs. (Remember? Two jobs, exhaustion, no sass, etc.?) I have neither the time nor the energy to continue doing this once a day. I'd rather not give it up entirely, but the best I can do is two or three a couple times a week.

I arbitrarily declare this post themed around philosophers completely ignored by my college philosophy professor because they weren't Greek!

German philosopher George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, most famous for attempting to develop a comprehensive system of ontology (which is the philosophical study of being, becoming, and reality) from a logical starting point, said to his favorite student, "Only you have ever understood me...and you got it wrong."

Niccolo Machiavelli, Italian Renaissance philosopher and political scientist, said "I desire to go to Hell, not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes. In the latter, only the company of beggars, monks, and apostles."

Michel Foucault's last words are not known, but I still feel you should know that he once used the phrase "the insurrection of subjugated knowledges" completely without irony.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Apr 2014, 21:03

I, for one, am totally content with whatever schedule you find most comfortable, dude.

Also these are continuing to fascinate! :)
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Apr 2014, 06:54

Pablo Picasso said, "Drink to me, drink to my health. You know I can't drink any more."

Yeah, yeah, we all know about Picasso. Blue Period, cubism, melting clocks, etc. etc. But did you know his full name is, and I kid you not: "Pablo Diego Jose Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso."

Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are most famous for being executed in 1953 for treason after allegedly passing information to the Soviet Union concerning the construction of the atomic bomb. There was a degree of evidence to prove this, but not enough that would reach a conviction in an ordinary American court of law. Besides, the Soviets knew plenty about atomic bombs. If I recall correctly, Richard Feynman's lab assistant at Alamogordo was a Soviet spy.

Anyway, both the Rosenbergs were allowed a final statement before their execution by electric chair. Ethel said, "We are the first victims of American fascism!" Julius was a bit less declarative: "We are innocent. That is the whole truth. To forsake this truth is to pay too high a price even for the priceless gift of life. For life thus purchased we could not live out in dignity."

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 Apr 2014, 07:15

Other thing about Picasso- Picasso was in fact his mother's name, which he used in preference to his father's (Ruiz) because it was less common and thus made him stand out more.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 15 Apr 2014, 11:29

I thought there was a good deal of evidence against the Rosenburgs, but it was from sources that Amarican intelligence didn't want to compromise?
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 15 Apr 2014, 11:31

Canageek wrote:I thought there was a good deal of evidence against the Rosenburgs, but it was from sources that Amarican intelligence didn't want to compromise?

Which is why I said it wouldn't really hold up in an ordinary court of law.

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Apr 2014, 11:42

Were those the guys tried by Roy Cohn?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 15 Apr 2014, 11:59

Well, he was the prosecuting attorney, yes.

Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 15 Apr 2014, 12:58

Prospero101 wrote:
Canageek wrote:I thought there was a good deal of evidence against the Rosenburgs, but it was from sources that Amarican intelligence didn't want to compromise?

Which is why I said it wouldn't really hold up in an ordinary court of law.

Ah, I took that to mean you thought the evidence against them didn't exist.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Oct 2014, 15:20

I'd like to see this thread revived at some point, if possible. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Oct 2014, 15:52

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 23 Oct 2014, 17:03

Oh, wow. I didn't know there was interest. :O

Well, I'll have to read over the thread again, to make sure I don't repeat myself, but I don't see why I can't dash off a few whenever I get a chance.

Return to “General Discussion”