Twitch Streaming General Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Twitch Streaming General Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jan 2014, 14:41

I thought I'd start a general Twitch streaming thread since I couldn't find one.

So talk about the new streaming. :)

I'll start with the public calendar that I created for the new scheduled streaming times.

HTML Calendar: http://bit.ly/LRLCalendarHTML

ICAL Calendar: http://bit.ly/LRLCalendarICAL

XML/RSS Calendar: http://bit.ly/LRLCalendarXML
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 07 Feb 2014, 10:28, edited 3 times in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Twitch Streaming General Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 07 Jan 2014, 14:44

I'm so glad I'm not at university right now. The internet there for some reason cannot handle live streaming on Twitch. Weirdest thing. It can play the VOD recordings. It can play Youtube streams. But not Twitch, apparently.

But I'm at home, which has internet suitable for such a purpose, so I can actually be in the chat and stuff! :D
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
maxx111

Postby maxx111 » 07 Jan 2014, 17:16

Its so upsetting the whole twitch video encoding thing.

I so badly want to watch all the streams but I cant due to having a life.
I so badly want to watch all the archive but I cant due to it being only viewable at the highest HD quality and my internet is poopy. I really am trying though.

I dont even want to watch "Highlights" because I dont want anything cut out. Gameplay or just the feeling of chilling with people when it is live.

T-T I guess all this pain just goes to show how good I think what I have seen is so far and my expectations of what it will be :c
Keep up the good work!
Unless its bad work... stop that!
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 07 Jan 2014, 17:25

I actually can't watch anything I miss, because Twitch takes forever to load pre-recorded videos for me. And even the live streams buffer way more often than they should. I have a great internet connection that has never had problems with any other site. I kinda wish there was another site that could be used, but most other sites require streamers to pay, which goes against the entire purpose of the livestreams.

I hope Twitch gets its shit together soon.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 07 Jan 2014, 17:32

maxx111 wrote:I so badly want to watch all the archive but I cant due to it being only viewable at the highest HD quality and my internet is poopy. I really am trying though.

Actually, you can change the quality! Just right-click the video itself and check out the "Quality" option.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
maxx111

Postby maxx111 » 07 Jan 2014, 17:43

Prospero101 wrote:
maxx111 wrote:I so badly want to watch all the archive but I cant due to it being only viewable at the highest HD quality and my internet is poopy. I really am trying though.

Actually, you can change the quality! Just right-click the video itself and check out the "Quality" option.

Thats the flash player option, it changes it for performace on my end but it doesnt actually affect the quality of the video thats being sent. Its still going to be slow getting through the tubes.
Keep up the good work!
Unless its bad work... stop that!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 07 Jan 2014, 17:47

Odd. That always worked for me. :( Sorry, mate. Hope you can get something worked out so you can watch.

plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Jan 2014, 18:31

I'm loving the timing on it. I set up on my bar stool and I can watch and chat as I work in the kitchen or the laundry. Finally, live LRR at the perfect time of day for me
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Jan 2014, 19:22

And, flipside, I'm dismayed at the timing of it. It all winds up hitting perfect in work hours for Australia. I nearly got to watch Checkpoint+! Nearly!
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Jan 2014, 20:02

Whelp... at least you get the MTGO streams?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Jan 2014, 20:43

I have to wonder if there's a reason they don't do podcasts on Friday live instead of recording them the usual way. Maybe because it's an easier environment to have a conversation with one another more than anything? But then they could have 'them time' and then maybe a Q&A with lives Qs for them to A. It could be because the streaming office is too small for four of them to do a podcast in, which would be more fair.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 07 Jan 2014, 21:03

Asthanius wrote:I actually can't watch anything I miss, because Twitch takes forever to load pre-recorded videos for me. And even the live streams buffer way more often than they should. I have a great internet connection that has never had problems with any other site. I kinda wish there was another site that could be used, but most other sites require streamers to pay, which goes against the entire purpose of the livestreams.

I hope Twitch gets its shit together soon.
I'm not sure on the legalities and all, given the ads Twitch runs, but I've found a site that converts archived streams into downloadable 30min videos. I had the same problem when trying to watch old streams, and it solved the problem quite handily.

I'll try and see if I'm allowed to post the link before posting it. Wouldn't want to get in trouble from my first few posts. :P
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Jan 2014, 23:53

Kapol wrote:I have to wonder if there's a reason they don't do podcasts on Friday live instead of recording them the usual way.

Personally, I like having the podcasts as a separate thing. Streams are a very immediate thing that (as discussed in this thread) lose a lot in watching after the fact. Being recorded as their own thing also keeps them focused, there's no need to stop and thank subscribers or fight the streaming tech. I also think it's nice to have something where the LRR crew can just talk without needing to interact directly with the viewers.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 08 Jan 2014, 06:43

Watching IDDQDerp right now. Can we please get a regular show with Alex and Cam? Those two together are so wonderfully dark.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jan 2014, 13:02

And now that http://loadingreadyrun.com/live is up...

I see that the LRR crew has simply used the calendar I created.
Glad I could help, but kind of sad not to be thanked or credited. :(
(Doesn't have to have been on that page, but in this thread would've been nice.)

Hrm... Now, I'm starting to wonder if there is a way to get statistics on this thing regarding usage. That'd be kind of cool.

Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 08 Jan 2014, 13:19

AdmiralMemo wrote:And now that http://loadingreadyrun.com/live is up...

I see that the LRR crew has simply used the calendar I created.
Glad I could help, but kind of sad not to be thanked or credited. :(
(Doesn't have to have been on that page, but in this thread would've been nice.)

Hrm... Now, I'm starting to wonder if there is a way to get statistics on this thing regarding usage. That'd be kind of cool.

Oops! Sorry about that AdmiralMemo, I used the links from this thread but I thought you were linking to the official stream schedule calendar. I will adjust the links ASAP.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jan 2014, 13:29

I wasn't aware of an official streaming calendar, so I made my own, and shared it, trying to be helpful. I don't mind if people use it.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jan 2014, 13:54

Memo, your unprompted selflessness and willing to help the LRR community is duly noted and appreciated the goddamn hell out of, in more regards than just this.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Jan 2014, 14:04

Jamfalcon wrote:Personally, I like having the podcasts as a separate thing. Streams are a very immediate thing that (as discussed in this thread) lose a lot in watching after the fact. Being recorded as their own thing also keeps them focused, there's no need to stop and thank subscribers or fight the streaming tech. I also think it's nice to have something where the LRR crew can just talk without needing to interact directly with the viewers.

Hence why I mentioned having a specific segment where they just talked, preferably without the chat even on for them, and then having a Q&A segment or something separate. That way the first part is still it's own thing without audience interaction and allowing them to talk about whatever they want, and then a more audience-focused segment when they'd be doing Q&As anyways normally.

Honestly, the stopping to thank subscribers throws me off, especially in replays. Though that's true of any time they stop doing what they're doing to talk with the chat. I understand why it's important, and it doesn't really bother me, but I do understand the desire for the podcast to remain their own thing. I just think that it'd help people in other timezones who might not be able to watch the other streams normally. If they're going to be recording stuff that could work being streamed anyways, it seems like it'd be fine to be done live. I don't think it'd take that much more away watching after the fact if they aren't stopping during the 'regular' part to interact with viewers.

It's more just a thought than anything though.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jan 2014, 14:28

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Memo, your unprompted selflessness and willing to help the LRR community is duly noted and appreciated the goddamn hell out of, in more regards than just this.
Thanks. :)
Kapol wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:Personally, I like having the podcasts as a separate thing. Streams are a very immediate thing that (as discussed in this thread) lose a lot in watching after the fact. Being recorded as their own thing also keeps them focused, there's no need to stop and thank subscribers or fight the streaming tech. I also think it's nice to have something where the LRR crew can just talk without needing to interact directly with the viewers.
Hence why I mentioned having a specific segment where they just talked, preferably without the chat even on for them, and then having a Q&A segment or something separate. That way the first part is still it's own thing without audience interaction and allowing them to talk about whatever they want, and then a more audience-focused segment when they'd be doing Q&As anyways normally.

Honestly, the stopping to thank subscribers throws me off, especially in replays. Though that's true of any time they stop doing what they're doing to talk with the chat. I understand why it's important, and it doesn't really bother me, but I do understand the desire for the podcast to remain their own thing. I just think that it'd help people in other timezones who might not be able to watch the other streams normally. If they're going to be recording stuff that could work being streamed anyways, it seems like it'd be fine to be done live. I don't think it'd take that much more away watching after the fact if they aren't stopping during the 'regular' part to interact with viewers.

It's more just a thought than anything though.
So I'm assuming you'd prefer it to be much more like CheckPoint+, where they do their thing, with no chat interaction, and then afterwards, open it up to Q&A or whatever.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Jan 2014, 14:32

AdmiralMemo wrote:So I'm assuming you'd prefer it to be much more like CheckPoint+, where they do their thing, with no chat interaction, and then afterwards, open it up to Q&A or whatever.

That's pretty much what I'm going for, yea. Though there'd be more emphasis on the 'doing their own thing' segment than CP+ has.

But it could also be because, since they're streaming so much, they don't really want to do EVERYTHING on-stream. Which is fair.
qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 08 Jan 2014, 15:56

I got bored today so I edited and uploaded the GPLP part of the launch day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulj8Zr9kYfM. Should I keep making these or does nobody care?

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Jan 2014, 16:37

I care! I missed Launch Day (not having power for much of said day)

So THANK YOU for making this available!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 08 Jan 2014, 18:06

Ok, the LoadingReadyLive page has been updated to link to the official streaming calendar. Thanks to AdmiralMemo for making his calendar available while we were getting ourselves organized.

AdmiralMemo, can you change the target of the bit.ly links in the first post to the official calendar? I want to make sure anyone who stumbles on to this thread has the most up-to-date information.
HTML Calendar
iCal Calendar
XML/RSS Calendar
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 08 Jan 2014, 19:48

Instructions not clear. Calendar only lists day of Ragnarok

Return to “General Discussion”