Twitch Streaming General Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Twitch Streaming General Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 08 Jan 2014, 20:44

I'm pretty sure you need to sacrifice your left eye to the Well of Wisdom to see anything else.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jan 2014, 22:47

Paul wrote:Ok, the LoadingReadyLive page has been updated to link to the official streaming calendar. Thanks to AdmiralMemo for making his calendar available while we were getting ourselves organized.

AdmiralMemo, can you change the target of the bit.ly links in the first post to the official calendar? I want to make sure anyone who stumbles on to this thread has the most up-to-date information.
HTML Calendar
iCal Calendar
XML/RSS Calendar
Unfortunately, Paul, no I can't. bit.ly links are apparently uneditable, for some unknown stupid reason. You can edit the short URL all you want, but not the target, and you can't pick an already-chosen short URL. So I'll need to figure out something... Maybe new short URLs? But these seem so perfect. :(
I'll figure something out while you guys get the official calendars fixed anyway. I noted a couple of typos on the official calendar.

"Video Game w/Video James" is missing the "s" off "Games"
"Kathleen Save the World" is missing the "s" off "Saves"

Also, did you manually set each event of Jer's "Book of Passwords"? I see separate events for each, only going until February. You can easily set it for every 2 weeks in the settings.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 08 Jan 2014, 23:48

They are crossposting to Youtube now! This is going to make watching the replays so much easier. Thanks you guys! :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 09 Jan 2014, 00:33

AdmiralMemo wrote:bit.ly links are apparently uneditable, for some unknown stupid reason.

It's an antispam thing... it's so that you can't make a short link to a legit site, post it somewhere, wait for it to get past moderation, and then later change it to redirect to something much shadier, without the site you posted it to having any idea the link had been changed.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 09 Jan 2014, 03:14

RedNightmare wrote:They are crossposting to Youtube now! This is going to make watching the replays so much easier. Thanks you guys! :D

Launch day is up: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlgSaH357q3VZR1jIsYjrcHN8yrV7kjep

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jan 2014, 07:25

phlip wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:bit.ly links are apparently uneditable, for some unknown stupid reason.
It's an antispam thing... it's so that you can't make a short link to a legit site, post it somewhere, wait for it to get past moderation, and then later change it to redirect to something much shadier, without the site you posted it to having any idea the link had been changed.
I've seen that argument and I think it's stupid. You can easily make the counter-argument of paying lots of money on advertising something, having the link go dead for some reason after you've submitted the ad, but before it goes up, and being completely hosed.

Anyway, I'm leaving the current links until LRR gets their calendar fixed and working.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

maxx111

Postby maxx111 » 09 Jan 2014, 16:45

RedNightmare wrote:They are crossposting to Youtube now! This is going to make watching the replays so much easier. Thanks you guys! :D

*wipes tear from eye and whispers thank you to the wind*
Keep up the good work!
Unless its bad work... stop that!
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 10 Jan 2014, 01:11

This youtube channel looks not especially legit?

I hope something valid works out, my intertubes are slightly smaller diameter than a twitch stream.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jan 2014, 01:54

I find it funny that the LRR Crew members should never ask the chat for directions.

As James found out yesterday, we will guide him into Magma or down into the abyss.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 10 Jan 2014, 03:36

NebulosDisconcertion wrote:This youtube channel looks not especially legit?

I hope something valid works out, my intertubes are slightly smaller diameter than a twitch stream.

Official LoadingReadyLive channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/loadingreadylive/videos

Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 10 Jan 2014, 08:56

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I find it funny that the LRR Crew members should never ask the chat for directions.

As James found out yesterday, we will guide him into Magma or down into the abyss.
I thought the funnier part was when asked if we thought he should go left or right, we immediately called "left", "right", "west", "in", "down", "older", "Luxembourg", "Dennis" and "blue whale" all at once. It was such a brilliant moment of pure chaos. James, I seem to recall, just looked at the camera and went "That's helpful."
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jan 2014, 09:11

I like how he considered "Forwards" and then saw the sea of orange below him. >:)

(I was one of the people who suggested "Down")
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 10 Jan 2014, 12:54

I'd like to think my suggestion of "Panda" proved fruitful later in the evening
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jan 2014, 14:27

I wished he rolled a Tauren.

Many "bull" puns.

Abull
Terabull
Horibull

Though as Panda Monk he could have been Beararms/Bearfists etc
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Jan 2014, 17:29

I missed Cameron's Swiftly tilting stream NOOOOO!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 11 Jan 2014, 19:15

That is such a hard stream to watch sometimes, because it's infuriating to see someone get smacked around by heavily weighted "probability" mechanic that does actually seem to be doing the right things
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Jan 2014, 19:51

Cam actually admitted something that I've noticed: unless you're playing something you know inside-out and could play blindfolded, you NEED a second person with you to act as a 'Communications Liaison" - trying to pay attention to the chat AND playing a tactical game that requires reasoning, forethought and planning WILL result in distraction, mistrakes and embarrassment.

Kathleen exhibited much the same problems when she was streaming - it was easier and smoother with Alex or Beej or Graham alongside her. Even so, trying to play AND deal with her Rdio player resulted in an unfortunate 'like' of some song she wanted to dislike so as to hear it LESS often...not more. :( (uhh, was it Hall & Oates?)

ANYWAYS, this might be the reason live GPLP's go more smoothly?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 Jan 2014, 01:02

ASTC is probably my favourite of the streams, partly because I find strategy games endlessly appealing to watch and partly because I'm pretty terrible at them personally, so I can pick up a few tips. At some point this year, I'd LOVE to see him streaming a bit of Crusader Kings II or Europa Universalis IV, just so I feel like I know what's going on. I might even have to sign up for a twitch account.

The fact that his stream starts when I usually go to bed is, admittedly, something of an inconvenience.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 12 Jan 2014, 03:32

I caught Cam's imprompt stream live yesterday and I'm now certain he's my favorite. The dark sense of humor combined with the infuriating difficulty makes for a wonderful time.

He got me to play XCOM again and even buy Enemy Within on the XBOX live sale.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jan 2014, 05:54

I havent watched Beej or James' stream.

I like the GPLP because its them riffing.

I like Camerons because he seems to be having a lot of fun both with the game and with the chat.

I dont like Grahams stream that much because the game is SO bad. he says and does funny things but Graham is so good at interactions so the stream lag hurts his stream more than others.

Im sorta neutral on Alex's because his playstyle is very different from how I would play so when he is having trouble Im silently yelling at the screen for example his version of stealth is, quietly sneak in, and as he puts it "then start blasting until it gets quiet." on the other hand he is having a lot of childlike WOO HOO fun which is infectious.

I dont like Kathleens stream just because JRPG's are walk slowly ahead, fill this bar, walk slowly ahead, fill that bar, 10 minute cut scene repeat. Nothing seems to happen in the games and now that auto combat is on even that choice making is gone. I can tell she likes this but to me, thats not a game because she isnt really DOING things, she is almost a passive observer of the 'game'.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 12 Jan 2014, 12:11

I think I like House of Stark the most, purely because of how AWFUL the game is.

It actually had the line, "Watch out for its gas!"
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 13:24

I enjoyed them all a decent amount. Beej's game was kind of meh, just because he had to do the first 10 minutes of the game 6 times. Graham's was funny, as was GPLP.

Cam's was fun due to viewer interaction, but I feel like we need to figure out how to mod the game to just have the subscriber list in the game to auto-pull names. He seems to spend a decent chunk of time renaming soldiers.

Kathleen's is enjoyable just as background listening I think. I agree with Hosk that JRPGs aren't the best for streaming. But that's because of how much grinding is involved in it to me. But I don't mind having it on in the background, as her commentary and some interactions is pretty fun.

Alex's stream is fun. But I dislike how much emphasis he kept putting on 'this isn't the game I want to be playing but oh well.'

CP+ is nice to have around. Not sure what else to say about it.

The Book Of Passwords was certainly fun for the first episode. We'll have to see if that trend continues.

Video James was the dullest so far in my opinion. It shared a similar issue as Alex's in that he said multiple times that Minecraft wasn't the game he'd wanted to be playing, which I find off putting. Plus, someone just digging isn't that interesting to me, as I have a lot of it on as background sound. But it got better when he got more into the game and started dicking around. I really hope he does go through with making the giant flaming statue or Jamesitude.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Jan 2014, 14:03

Kapol wrote:I enjoyed them all a decent amount. Beej's game was kind of meh, just because he had to do the first 10 minutes of the game 6 times. Graham's was funny, as was GPLP.

Cam's was fun due to viewer interaction, but I feel like we need to figure out how to mod the game to just have the subscriber list in the game to auto-pull names. He seems to spend a decent chunk of time renaming soldiers.

Kathleen's is enjoyable just as background listening I think. I agree with Hosk that JRPGs aren't the best for streaming. But that's because of how much grinding is involved in it to me. But I don't mind having it on in the background, as her commentary and some interactions is pretty fun.

Alex's stream is fun. But I dislike how much emphasis he kept putting on 'this isn't the game I want to be playing but oh well.'

CP+ is nice to have around. Not sure what else to say about it.

The Book Of Passwords was certainly fun for the first episode. We'll have to see if that trend continues.

Video James was the dullest so far in my opinion. It shared a similar issue as Alex's in that he said multiple times that Minecraft wasn't the game he'd wanted to be playing, which I find off putting. Plus, someone just digging isn't that interesting to me, as I have a lot of it on as background sound. But it got better when he got more into the game and started dicking around. I really hope he does go through with making the giant flaming statue or Jamesitude.

REVISION:

Oh. Okay, you must be talking about the 'Launch Day' event that I totally missed and haven't had the chance to catch up on, because I was about to raeg that Jer snuck his first episode out unannounced, almost a week ahead of schedule. ;)

CP+ is pretty much the same, just live; I'll probably watch a recording tho.

IQQDERP's experiences are entertaining in a sort of GPLP-ish way; not so much how he's playing it, as how he's reacting to it (also I loved him 'sidekicking' with Kathleen for SMT and reacting to revelations in the story, etc.)

BB? I feel sorry for Beej; I'm probably worse than he is (I gave up on SoT before I even got the Dagger because the parkour is my fatal weakness), but it seemed like his difficulties were magnified by having to also keep an eye on the chat - more reason for a second person helping out. But entertaining enough.

GPLP - new packaging for an existing product that I already love. :)

KStW - Kathleen has fun commentary and good taste in music for those times when she feels the game's soundtrack isn't going to be up to snuff. The genre IS grindy, but that keeps it in a comfortable 'running in another tab' mode, and the storylines (when you've slogged enough to earn the next nugget of narrative ;) ) are interesting and entertainingly different. She seems to be getting a better grip at gaming and chatting with more experience (sneaking in unscheduled extra stream sessions...to allow the grinding needed) - hopefully she won't accidentally 'like' songs that she doesn't like in the future. ;)

aSTC - I'm learning tips and shit from our glorious Cammander! I enjoy the game, and Cam's dry wit just riffs with the bleak, desperate circumstances. So far my fave stream (still, preferably when Cam's got an 'XO' to liaise between us and him ;) )

VGwVJ - I missed it, so I can't say. :(

HoS - Seems like more GPLP with more G and less P (no, the first 'P'); has a little different vibe, and Graham seems to be the best at multitasking between gameplay and chat interaction (even with the 30sec lag).

JBoP - waiting on tenterhooks for. :mrgreen:

LRRMtG - I have to avoid any exposure to CCGs as I'm at my debt ceiling already, and can't afford another hobby. ;)

So, all in all, I'm really liking this part of The YRR of LRR, and it's pretty fun (even if I'll probably never be able to catch another live stream for a month, and have to settle for watching recordings later. :) )
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 12 Jan 2014, 20:35

Amake wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I find it funny that the LRR Crew members should never ask the chat for directions.

I thought the funnier part was when asked if we thought he should go left or right, we immediately called "left", "right", "west", "in", "down", "older", "Luxembourg", "Dennis" and "blue whale" all at once. It was such a brilliant moment of pure chaos. James, I seem to recall, just looked at the camera and went "That's helpful."

Man, I thought I'd found a stream I didn't have to see every episode of, and now you've ruined it for me, I have no idea how I am going to keep up with this all.

Next question: Why are we talking about this here when there is a LoadingReadyLive forum for that use? Are the alternate boards a wasteland, like some fora I've been on? I've noticed not many people have posted there yet.

The point about a cohost has been agreed on by everyone in the other thread. Both as they help read the chat, and the fact they give the streamer more to say, someone to talk to, etc. I've observed that in other places to; Having two hosts works a lot better then one.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Jan 2014, 20:57

Because this thread was made before the new forums were up. The new foruma just came up today.

Return to “General Discussion”