These are the days in History

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: These are the days in History

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Jan 2014, 09:05

Prospero101 wrote:If the Simpsons can't do it for you, surely the Alan Parsons Project can.

I'll be in the corner, rocking out.

Oh hey there, tied-for-22nd-most-played-song-on-my-iTunes.

Which is to say, I approve of you linking to this very strongly.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2014, 09:08

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Jammy.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 30 Jan 2014, 07:17

Today: 30 January 1703
Event: Revenge of the 47 Ronin

A much publicized and exaggerated story, the tale of the 47 Ronin is actually based on true events.
Two Japanese Daimyos (Feudal Lords) by the names of Asano Naganori and Kamei were being instructed in court etiquette by a powerful official called Kira Kozuke-no-Suke Yoshinaka. For whatever reason Asano and Kamei displeased Kira (sources dispute where the offence came from, some simply saying that Kira was just a arrogant arse) Kamei took offence to the way Kira was treating them so he decided he was going to kill Kira to avenge his honour (as you do (shut up spell-check honour has a 'u' in it)) His court officials realizing this was scoring a solid 9 on the 1 to invading russia scale of decision making so bribed Kira heavily to forget Kamei's rage. This apparently endeared Kamei to Kira who treated him much better at Asano's expense. Eventually Kira turned to outright insulted Asano causing him to fly into a rage, draw his dagger and stab Kira in the face.
Kira's wound wasn't life threatening but attacking a shogunate official in the shogun's residence was a very serious offence (what with all the honour and all) so Asano was ordered to commit seppuku (ritualistic suicide) and all his lands and assets were seized, leaving his family ruined and his followes ronin (leaderless warriors (also a great dishonour))
47 of Asano's 300 samurai decided that this just wasn't cricket so they pledge an oath of vengeance on Kira. Unfortunately Kira was a Japanese official (read paranoid and well prepared for assassination attempts) So they dispersed for two years and quietly prepaired, some even going as far as to divorce their loving wives so they would not be affected by their actions. Others pretended to be drunkards and womanizers (what an arduous job).
After 2 years Kira was totally convinced that the ronin had given up (most becoming builders and tradesman (curiously in and around kira's house)So the Ronin secretly gathered and attacked Kira, killing many of his guards in the attack and eventually cornering Kira in a hidden room. After repeated attempts to get him to kill himself (to which he refused for some bizarre reason) they pined him to the floor and then cut his head off with the dagger Asano had used to kill himself.
They turned themselves in and were honourable executed

Japan was weird
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 30 Jan 2014, 07:19

What's the correct response here?

"Oh, Japan?"

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Jan 2014, 08:46

And now it's been made into a Keanu Reeves movie that does not appear to have anything to do with the original events/story.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 31 Jan 2014, 02:22

Yes a pity really as I think the true story is more interesting.
On a side note I think the Japanese can be added to the 'overly polite' list. I know people say the Canadians and British are polite but we've never tried to assassinate someone by asking them nicely
Anyway our last day in January

Today: 31 January 1943
Event: Surrender of Field Marshal Freidrick Paulus at Stalingrad

Stalingrad was one of the bloodiest battles not only in the second world war but in human history and was defined by it's brutality. Civilians were by no means exempt from the fighting and accounted for a large portion of the estimated 1.2-1.8 million dead. Stalingrad and Leningrad were the crown jewels of shittyness of the Eastern front, a conflict rivaled only by the Pacific theater.
There are some truly astonishing stories from Stalingrad. One of them involves a tractor factory that was converted into a tank factory during the war. It was shelled to oblivion (like everything in the city, seriously the Luftwaffe bombed every building in the city to ruins) so it couldn't manufacture new tanks but it could repair damaged ones. During the Autumn of 42 (don't quote me on that date) this factory was one of the only enclaves left on the West bank of the river Volga (when it was summer the Soviets could reinforce by boat and in winter the ice was thick enough to just walk/drive over the river but there was a two week period in the Autumn and Spring where it was impossible to reinforce the North bank)So Russian tanks would drive out to battle, get damaged, retreat to the factory where they would be repaired and go back out to fight again. Another famous story is of Pavlov's House which was a four story house which was defended alone by 25 Russians for a little less than a month under constant attack from German infantry and Armour.

Still once the German 6th Army penetrated the city they started having problems. They failed to capture the West bank entirely during the crucial period when the Russians couldn't reinforce and then the Russians did what they always do.
In the words of Joseph Stalin "Quantity has a Quality all of it's own"
They flooded Stalingrad with endless waves of Infantry (most of whom were conscripts with little to no training and very little equipment) with the infamous order of "not one step back". Anyone who retreated was executed, commanders who failed to complete orders were executed and everyone was under the watchful eye of the Commissars (yes they did exist, they didn't kill people themselves thy just reported cowards and dissenters to be executed by firing squad). Any building that could was turned into a fortification and manned by 5-10 man teams. If the Germans captured a location the Soviets would immediately counter attack with reserve troops. Some locations changed hands 14 times in 6 hours. The Soviets would also build their defenses as close as possible to the German lines to limit the effectiveness of German planes and Artillery. The fighting stalled into vicious Close quarters combat with fighting street to street, building to building and sometimes in different floors in buildings (one story tells of a Russian team on the roof being attacked by Germans on the Second Floor with a Russian counter attack on the first floor)
The Russian hammer blow happened in the Winter of 42 when the Red army encircled the city cutting the German Supply lines. The Luftwaffe attempted to supply the estimated 250,000 Germans inside the city but was wholly unsuccessful. With starvation and disease rampant and a lack of ammunition and medical supplies Freidrick Paulus' surrender was inevitable. Of the 110,000 POW's taken after the battle only 6,000 ever returned home

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 31 Jan 2014, 03:24

One part you missed out, but I'm guessing you probably know anyway: Paulus wasn't a Field Marshal for most of the battle, and remained a 'lowly' General right up until he was to be found hiding in a basement surrounded by the Red Army. He sent word to Hitler explaining the grave situation, but the Fuhrer would not accept defeat or surrender after such a costly and strategically vital battle. So rather than giving Paulus permission to surrender, he instead appointed him to Field Marshal: as both men knew very well, no German Field Marshal had EVER surrendered in battle. It was Hitler's way of saying he was expected to either fight to the death or commit suicide rather than surrender. Paulus' eventual surrender, inevitable and responsible for saving thousands of German lives (well, before the Russians sent them all to prison camps) though it certainly was, came as a huge blow to Hitler, and marked the symbolic 'beginning of the end' just as the battle itself marked the tactical one.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 31 Jan 2014, 05:56

Did I not mention that
*rereads post*
Oh gorram it that was my original point :P
I do tend to go of on a tangent if you hadn't noticed

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 31 Jan 2014, 10:19

I thought as much, it all looked set up for the story but it never seemed to materialise.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 31 Jan 2014, 18:14

Truly, that was why, that was why, that was why he was Paul-us
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Feb 2014, 04:56

So long story short... two days leave

I'll get better at time keeping one of these days

Today: 1 February 1976

Event: Death of Werner Heisenberg

Werner Heisenberg was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Theory. Once when talking to my sister (An Astrophysicist) about Quantum Theory she said "If it's not Heisenberg, it's Pauli or Schrodinger"
Heisenberg gave his name to one of the primary theories, namely Heisenberg's uncertainty Principle. This states that there is a mathematical limit to the precision that pairs of properties can be observed on the Quantum Scale. Essentially the act of observing a particle's property, say location, made it impossible to accurately determine another property, say momentum. Strangely (because everything is strange in Quantum Theory) it is the very act of observation that distorted the particles (something known as the observer principle something the uncertainty principle is often mistaken for (a principle used in the often misunderstood Schrodinger's cat))
Although groundbreaking it has later been questioned how useful this theory is. Direct observation of particles is difficult and ultimately unnecessary as mathematical modeling can predict particle interactions.
Still it remains an incredibly confusing theory which you can use to sound smart at dinner parties...you all talk about Quantum Physics at your dinner parties right?...right? Dammit!

Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 05 Feb 2014, 05:02

We only talk about Quantum Physics at parties when you aren't there!

(That makes punny sense under one of those QP theories I'm sure :D )
Conor / Magellus
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Feb 2014, 05:11

Today: 2 February 1887
Event: The first Groundhog Day Celebration

Ah Groundhog day, the tradition that seems too odd to be true. For those that don't know Groundhog day is held once a year in the town of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania and on the 2nd of February a Groundhog is exposed to the world and if he see's his shadow it means six more weeks of winter. The first record of a groundhog being used to predict the weather actually originates in 1841 but 1887 was the first recorded celebration. Modern day celebration include the widespread use of the Pennsylvania German dialect (also known as Pennsylvania Dutch) as well as general frivolities and such things.
The event was popularized by the 1993 Bill Murray film (which is excellent and you should watch) Groundhog Day

Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Feb 2014, 05:28

Today: 3 February 1488
Event: Bartolomeu Dias lands at Mossel Bay

Probably an unknown one here but this was one of the most monumental achievements in European History. A bit of context, Mossel Bay is located on the Eastern side of the Cape of Good Hope (on the South coast of Africa). All previous expeditions that attempted to round the Cape met with either disaster or failure. The weather round the cape is treacherous to say the least (it was originally named by Bartolomeu the Cape of Storms) The cape is positioned at a meeting two ocean currents (one warm and one cold) as well as having jagged rocks all around. For a wooden cog (that's a ship) powered by wind you can understand the danger.

The significance of rounding the Cape was that it provided a water route to India, an incredibly valuable trade partner. The Ottomans and the Persians had a monopoly on Indian spices and goods and charged a premium for the trouble of carting the goods across land in the trade caravans. Another person who benefited from Indian Trade were the Venetians who had the trade ports in the holy land and the Mediterranean. The loss of the Indian trade to the Portuguese (Bartolomeu was Portuguese) crippled their trade fleet and was pone of the reasons for their decline in power across the 15th Century.
Last edited by Hepheastus on 05 Feb 2014, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Feb 2014, 05:33

Today: 4 February 2004
Event: Founding of Facebook

Not a huge amount I can say that people don't already know, I think this needs mentioning due to Facebook's massive cultural influence
Last edited by Hepheastus on 05 Feb 2014, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Feb 2014, 05:36

Today: 5th February 62
Event: Earthquake in Pompeii, Italy.

This earthquake was 17 years before the eruption of Vesuvius
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Feb 2014, 05:44

Today: 5 February 1869
Event: Discovery of the 'Welcome Stranger'

The 'Welcome Stranger' is the largest Alluvial (surface soil (specifically deposited by water)) gold nugget ever found. It had a refined weight of 3,123 Ounces, 6 pennyweights and 9 grains (or 71Kg (Wow metric is just better))
It was discovered by (the incredibly lucky) John Deason and Richard Oates in Victoria Australia

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 05 Feb 2014, 08:30

Hepheastus wrote:So long story short... two days leave

I'll get better at time keeping one of these days

Today: 1 February 1976

Event: Death of Werner Heisenberg

Werner Heisenberg was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Theory. Once when talking to my sister (An Astrophysicist) about Quantum Theory she said "If it's not Heisenberg, it's Pauli or Schrodinger"
Heisenberg gave his name to one of the primary theories, namely Heisenberg's uncertainty Principle. This states that there is a mathematical limit to the precision that pairs of properties can be observed on the Quantum Scale. Essentially the act of observing a particle's property, say location, made it impossible to accurately determine another property, say momentum. Strangely (because everything is strange in Quantum Theory) it is the very act of observation that distorted the particles (something known as the observer principle something the uncertainty principle is often mistaken for (a principle used in the often misunderstood Schrodinger's cat))
Although groundbreaking it has later been questioned how useful this theory is. Direct observation of particles is difficult and ultimately unnecessary as mathematical modeling can predict particle interactions.
Still it remains an incredibly confusing theory which you can use to sound smart at dinner parties...you all talk about Quantum Physics at your dinner parties right?...right? Dammit!

It is not confusing at all. Position and momentum are the Fourier transforms of one another. This implies that the momentum and position operators do not commute which in turn implies that no quantum state can simultaneously be a momentum eiganstate and a position eiganstate. This means that a particle can have not have both a definite position and momentum.

As one of the foremost German theoretical physicists, Heisenberg was also heavily involved in the Germany nuclear program in the Second World War. Heisenberg famously visited Niels Bohr in Copenhagen in 1941 where they discussed nuclear weapons. Exactly what was discussed is debated but Michael Frayn wrote a play about the meeting (Copenhagen) which was made into a TV movie by the BBC with Daniel Craig playing the role of Heisenberg.
Last edited by Lord Chrusher on 05 Feb 2014, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Feb 2014, 08:47

Actually reminds me of a joke.

Heisenberg and Schrodinger are driving down the highway, way over the speed limit. They get pulled over by the police, and the cop walks over to the driver's side window and asks, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg replies, "No, but I can tell you exactly where we are."

The police officer finds this peculiar response grounds for a search, so he asks them step out of the car. Popping the trunk open, he looks inside and exclaims, "Oh my God! Did you know you have a dead cat in your trunk?!"

To which Schrodinger replies, "I do now."

Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 06 Feb 2014, 08:02

So this is turning into a struggle, apparently nothing I know about happened in February :P

Today: 6 February 1819
Event: The founding of Singapore

Founded by Sir Thomas Stanford Raffles (a truly fantastic name( been a while since we've had some good names)) originally as a trade post in the sultanate of Johore by the time the city gained independence from the British Empire in 1963 it had developed into a powerful and rich city state which it remains to this day (as anyone who watches the Singapore Grand Prix will be able to testify)

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Feb 2014, 10:57

Interesting thing; Singapore means 'City of the Lion' in Sanskrit. Nobody has a sodding clue why.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Feb 2014, 12:04

...maybe because of the 'national animal' of the people that founded the trading post? To the locals it was 'the city of the foreigners' and the bulk of them were from a country that a lion represented, so...
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 06 Feb 2014, 14:33

Also, much like Venice is built on a massive series of sunken logs, Singapore is built on a series of sunken lions. Impressive, for sure, but rather inefficient and unfair to the laborers
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 07 Feb 2014, 04:38

But Singapore isn't sinking so apparently Lions are structurally better than logs, who knew.

Actually a theory I heard was that Singapore was a corruption of Singapora, which is the geographical term for where Singapore was founded, although there is some evidence that it was named Singapora after the founding of the city.

Today: 7 February 1497
Event: The Bonfire of the Vanities

The Bonfire of the Vanities starts much earlier with the renaissance in and around the 14th Century. The renaissance was a cultural movement that encourage the resurgence of classical literature, learning as well as a promotion of Latin and vernacular literature powered by the development of cheap paper and the printing press. It also promoted Secular art and music (previously artworks and music were for the depiction of religious scenes and the veneration of God respectively( Also Middle Ages art was oddly out of proportion and not anatomically accurate)) Also the Renaissance has an interesting influence on Social mobility (because for the first time ever there was some) All the Renaissance artwork, literature and architecture was wildly popular in Europe and meant a massive influx of money into the Italian city states that created them, this gave a huge amount of power to the Italian Banking families, which in Florence was the Medici Family. They belonged to the Middle classes not the Nobility but they wielded more authority than any in the City. Fast forwards till just before the Bonfire and Lorenzo de' Medici is ruler of Florence in everything but name.

Anyway the Bonfire most famously involved Girolamo Savonarola, a Dominican Priest, who with a group of followers gathered up any work they found that would inspire sin in people (books of philosophy, literature, non religious art and song sheets) and burned them whilst publicly denouncing the evils of man.
Renaissance artist Sandro Botticelli reportedly took to the streets and burned several of his own works although this is disputed.
It ended after pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) decided that Savonarola was a bit of a prat, excommunicating him and demanding that Florence give him up, when they did he was tortured for proclaiming he could perform miracles and had visions from god before being hung and burned to death at the same time (a bit of overkill if you ask me)

Of course some people say Etzio Auditore did it...

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Feb 2014, 05:21

I doubt the Italian city states became rich due to art. I thought that due to their wealth they could support the creation of secular art.

The Medicis would go on make themselves nobles, buying a dukedom and becoming the hereditary rulers of Tuscany tilt the 18th century.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”