Wakfu

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Wakfu

Postby Elaro » 20 Jan 2014, 12:40

You may know of Wakfu, the Fire Emblem-ish MMORPG where you can play as one of the devotee of one of 12 specific gods. Well, did you know that before there was a game, there was an animation?

In October 2008, France-3 began airing the first episode of Wakfu. It follows the story of Yugo, a boy who discovers he has the power to make portals, a power unlike any in the World of Twelve, a world already teeming with divine magic and superhuman traits. So he teams up with a brave Iop called Sir Tristepin de Percedal, a knight carrying a demonic weapon, a Cra (archer) named Evangelyne, her charge, princess Amalia of the Sadida, and Ruel, an old Enutrof.

Iop, Cra, Sadida and Enutrop are not races, but gods, and their followers share some physical traits in common and are called as a group by the name of their god. Together, they must discover the isle of Grougaloragran the dragon, and discover the truth of Yugo's family and origins, before the evil Xelor Nox can harness enough of the life energy called wakfu to fuel his sinister (?) plot.

It's all done in Flash, which is amazing, but it's also all done in France, which is even more so.

Yugo

His friends and he

Nox

Also, this is a very rich fantasy universe (it's the basis for 2 MMOs, after all), so expect wild names for things. Like gobball, bow meow, tofu, etc.

I mention all this because, while there is no official English release, Ankama has started a kickstarter for one! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836563008/wakfu-the-animated-series

I say check out this series, through the usual channels (because subs aren't quite technically available right now...). It has fluid animation, spectacular fight scenes, humorous content, suprisingly touching moments, especially near the end, etc. I'd say it's about a "Batman: The Animated Series" level of good. Except for episode 5, that one's kinda bad.

It also has a second season, which starts off really strongly but peters down around ep 10 then only picks up for the final 4 episodes. It kinda works, but it's not as emotionally engaging as season 1.

There's also French graphic novels (translated online, check usual channels :whistle:), franga (guess what that is), and a whole other animated series called Dofus which is shorter, lighter in tone, and half the episode length, but the same quantity of animation, so twice the number of episodes. I may have stopped watching around episode 13? Meh.

Anyway, wakfu! What do you think? (Please post spoilers in spoilers).
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Re: Wakfu

Postby Juliamon » 20 Jan 2014, 13:21

Been looking forward to Wakfu getting an English release for years. It's really good (I forgive episode 5 because it was technically the pilot episode and even Ankama themselves admits it was pretty terrible) and is notable for having what is often considered one of the most interesting and sympathetic villains in recent history.

I'm not sure it can be accurately compared to B:TAS. I usually see comparisons to Avatar/Korra. I haven't watched those so I can't really speak for it, but it visually matches up better (colorful, big fancy magic-based fights, group of friends led by a particularly special boy) and is for the most part very comedic.

Since it's a French cartoon, it gets away with a lot more things than an American kids' cartoon normally would. Expect to see the occasional penis-shaped vegetable, erectile dysfunction jokes, heavy implications of characters having sex between episodes, and sort-of-homosexual situations involving genderswaps. Also, a veritable shit-ton of cameos in crowd scenes, from Fry and Bender to Monkey D. Luffy.

I could talk about this show for hours. But I won't, because I'd rather people spent their time reading the Kickstarter page instead and helping make an English release a reality.

(Also it currently costs like $45-50 to buy a single artbook because of how gross shipping costs from France are, so I'd REALLY like to be able to buy them at a more reasonable price, and they've suggested they'd make them available as add-ons...)
brb, assaulting children.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Re: Wakfu

Postby Elaro » 20 Jan 2014, 15:53

Since they don't offer any VOD or anything (not that it would be translated anyway), so... :whistle:

Return to “General Discussion”