Random Facts

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Random Facts

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Mar 2014, 04:46

I thought "Hybrid" animals were sterile as they had odd number of Chromosones.
User avatar
Prospero101
Posts: 2372
Joined: 26 Jan 2013, 08:19
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune
Location: The suburb of a city that doesn't exist

Re: Random Facts

Postby Prospero101 » 28 Mar 2014, 05:28

Al Capone, perhaps the most famous mobster of all time, had nothing whatsoever to do with the traditional Sicilian Mafia. He was a Neapolitan/Sicilian mix, a "mutt." There was no way he'd be allowed to work in any family of that time period.

His was referred to rather condescendingly as the "Chicago Outfit" by the organization, and treated with the same respect earned by your common street gang. His ancestry and constant flaunting of his criminal wealth irked the members of the Mafia so badly that they tried to have him killed more than once.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: Random Facts

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Mar 2014, 05:49

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I thought "Hybrid" animals were sterile as they had odd number of Chromosones.


They are...mostly.

Life finds a way.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
Hepheastus
Posts: 1288
Joined: 18 Aug 2013, 13:10
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet
Location: Looking up every other word you say (UK)

Re: Random Facts

Postby Hepheastus » 28 Mar 2014, 08:17

Deedles wrote:Why did I expand that picture?! WHY?! I don't like spiders on the best of days! And I don't like fungi either!

WHYYYYYYYYYY?!?!


Hehe, sorry Deedles*

*Is not actually sorry
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
User avatar
viscomica
Posts: 3346
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 17:01
First Video: SPRING!
Location: Ministry of Magic

Re: Random Facts

Postby viscomica » 28 Mar 2014, 13:07

The Indian firm Everest Branding Solutions designed this ceiling art for a smoking room:

Image
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Random Facts

Postby plummeting_sloth » 30 Mar 2014, 19:13

Bibloburro... FACT

Image
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
User avatar
viscomica
Posts: 3346
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 17:01
First Video: SPRING!
Location: Ministry of Magic

Re: Random Facts

Postby viscomica » 30 Mar 2014, 19:43

That's really inspirational :D
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: Random Facts

Postby empath » 31 Mar 2014, 02:27

Thread of Hope material, there. :)



Did You Know...™

...that fifty-five years ago today, citizens of the crown possession of Newfoundland (which had ceded independent Dominion status from England due to the economic collapse of the Great Depression) voted in a referendum to narrowly decide to join the Confederation of Canada.

Because the U.S. had made arms trades with the U.K. of materiel in exchange for military bases on U.K. soil - including several on Newfoundland - during World War 2, Canada feared the U.S. influence on their neighbours and campaigned to annex the island to stem a perceived 'creeping Manifest Destiny'. The U.K. concurred with this, and when the referendum was drafted, only the two options of joining Canada and resuming independent rule, despite a strong campaign by prominent (read wealthy merchant families) Newfoundlanders to join the U.S.

So on April 1, 1949, people were unsure if the 52.3% Confederation with Canada results were legit, or an April Fool's joke. ;)
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Random Facts

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 31 Mar 2014, 07:55

A Chinese fleet had circumnavigated the globe a century before Magellan and were the source of the maps that guided European explorers across the Atlantic. This does not appear in official records as all were systematically destroyed as China entered its 'closed off' period in which it conducted no foreign trade and showed precisely zero interest in the world beyond its borders.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: Random Facts

Postby Master Gunner » 31 Mar 2014, 14:38

Are you talking about Zheng He? My understanding is that he only only sailed around the Indian Ocean, reaching to East Africa and the Persian Gulf, in order to "diplomatically" assert China's dominance over trade in the region. The claims that his fleet circumnavigated the globe come from a 20th century author who also wrote about Atlantis being a real place.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Random Facts

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 01 Apr 2014, 00:37

I am indeed talking about Zheng He, and I'm reading that guy's book currently (have not yet finished). The one piece of evidence that makes me believe him is the opening bit, in which he tells us of a map owned by the Portuguese that features a group of islands the Portuguese had never been to (as evidenced by the fact that a subsequent king's edict requested they go & find them). The Chinese navy was the only one at the time capable of making such a voyage. This is not, of course, definite proof- the islands are described as being those which 'erupt', and could merely be the Canaries heinously mispositioned (as the same guy points out, the challenge of correctly determining longitude wouldn't be solved for several hundred years by westerners), but it's nonetheless a nice theory and one I will be better able to evaluate once I've finished reading.

Plus, there are plenty of people who theorise that the story of Atlantis came from a totally real place- some have suggested the story is a historical game of Chinese whispers that originally told of the destruction of the Minoan civilisation on Crete, whilst others have proposed that a society destroyed by a volcanic destruction of their island could well have been living on one of the Canaries (again- as volcanically active islands in a conveniently 'out of the way' location, they have frequently been used as locations of seemingly mythical islands. Or, as some have boldly suggested, the story could have been more literally true; the Mediterranean does, after all, lie on a plate boundary and being such a relatively shallow sea there are a few candidates of particular shallowness that particularly imaginative geologists have suggested could once have been islands.

That particular theory is, I will grant, the least plausible by quite some way.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
viscomica
Posts: 3346
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 17:01
First Video: SPRING!
Location: Ministry of Magic

Re: Random Facts

Postby viscomica » 03 Jun 2014, 18:05

If you take any wikipedia article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat. You will eventually end up at "Philosophy"
User avatar
RedNightmare
Posts: 1236
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 02:56
First Video: The Job
Location: Your deepest fears

Re: Random Facts

Postby RedNightmare » 06 Jun 2014, 04:09

viscomica wrote:If you take any wikipedia article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat. You will eventually end up at "Philosophy"


Unless you get stuck in a few other loops that are in there :P
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Image
User avatar
madrak_the_red
Posts: 1237
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 08:00
First Video: Meatshroom
Location: Brummy brum brum
Contact:

Re: Random Facts

Postby madrak_the_red » 06 Jun 2014, 04:36

Today marks the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, the largest invasion ever undertaken in human history.
Keelah Se'lai
User avatar
Hepheastus
Posts: 1288
Joined: 18 Aug 2013, 13:10
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet
Location: Looking up every other word you say (UK)

Re: Random Facts

Postby Hepheastus » 06 Jun 2014, 05:16

madrak_the_red wrote:Today marks the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, the largest invasion ever undertaken in human history.


Not to be pedantic but D-Day was the largest Naval invasion in History. Operation Barbarossa, the German invasion of Russia, was the largest land invasion in History and I'm fairly sure the largest invasion in history
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Random Facts

Postby plummeting_sloth » 10 Jun 2014, 19:52

While very useful in ensuring that a sailor never served the same watch 2 nights running, dog watches share a similar conundrum with the word 'Dog' itself... nobody seems to be sure there the name actually came from
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests