I decided not to go to LRRcon because...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Re: I decided not to go to LRRcon because...

Postby nicholasmc1 » 08 May 2014, 01:30

Lord Chrusher wrote:Can we get classier booze?

No this is Straya gosh darn'it
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 08 May 2014, 01:50

Distance, money and exams mostly for me. Also does a bottle of port I randomly found at the bottom of my wardrobe recently, and have no idea how it got there count as classier booze? It is port after all.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 May 2014, 01:51

Almost anything is classier than goon.

For all the non Australians, goon is quite cheap box wine. It is the cheapest way to get drunk in Australia.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
cuddlyblade

Postby cuddlyblade » 08 May 2014, 02:03

Ah excellent for once I get to pretend to be the snooty pretentious f***er looking down on everybody! ;)

Box wine is the cheapest way to get drunk in any country as far as I'm aware. At the very least it is here and everywhere near here.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 May 2014, 02:40

I'm missing it due to the world having water.
I also wouldn't be able to walk to Canada either.

Lord Chrusher wrote:I didn't realize how important tactile contact was to the LRR fandom.
All jokes aside hanging out in person is superior to hanging out online.

The solution is for every LRR crew member to graft off a piece of skin from the palm of their hands and send a bundle to every forum user who wanted to attend by couldn't.
Next best thing.
-
A virtual meet up might be tricky. I remember playing Left4DeadX with some American forum users, and the latency was hellish.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 May 2014, 04:09

1) I'd already spent too much of my tax refund to afford airfare,
2) I'd already taken a week off work just before LRRcon was announced, and too many other people are on vacation right now,
3) although I had a good idea for a contest entry, one of the people I'd need help to get it filmed in time...was one of the people on vacation :P
3.5) I'd tried doing the same vid with stick-figure illustrations, and at this rate I should have it finished somewhere in June :lol:

Maybe the next time, or maybe the next PAX East (that'd be less exhausting to travel to - long-distance air travel wears you out, even as a passenger)

Also, I echo Lord_C's sentiment for LRRcon's success a totally selfish aspiration to attend a future iteration and not at all for fun and enjoyment for everyone who DOES attend. ;)
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 May 2014, 08:10

For anyone interested in google hangouts, there is generally one running through the desert bus chat. Sometimes that is my only human contact on a given day, (hence it's inclusion in my X2Y... slideshow?). But... it's not the same as meeting in person. Honestly, I find that it's rather sad that there are so many people that I know names, faces, and voices... but will never actually meet. (Gunner, Fay, and Mow... that includes you.)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 May 2014, 10:47

Hey, don't you say that yet, Stepz. Loading Ready Ranch. It's still going to happen.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 May 2014, 10:51

Loading Ready Ranch? The crew is going to be put out to stud? Matt's going to be in high demand by all sexes.

Let me know when the hangout is, I'll join in with my masks.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 08 May 2014, 10:52

My Portal generator kept inverting all the test animals I put through it
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 08 May 2014, 13:42

nicholasmc1 wrote:

Even as an American, I know you have worse ways to get drunk in Australia than boxed wine. From what I've heard, Victoria Bitter has a worse reputation than PBR or Milwaukee's Best... and that's really saying a lot :wink:
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 08 May 2014, 14:40

Sakurazaki wrote:
nicholasmc1 wrote:

Even as an American, I know you have worse ways to get drunk in Australia than boxed wine. From what I've heard, Victoria Bitter has a worse reputation than PBR or Milwaukee's Best... and that's really saying a lot :wink:

VB isn't cheaper than goon, but it is one of the cheapest bears. We used to drink metho with orange juice until the government put a chemical in it to make people vomit.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 08 May 2014, 14:57

...that sounds like a Screwdriver I once drank. It didn't contain denatured alcohol (methylated spirits), but I think Burnett's is a close enough approximation. We quickly found a better college bar.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 08 May 2014, 19:16

It was just BARELY too expensive to justify. If I'd known about it earlier in the year, I might have adjusted spending accordingly, but... then I would have done something dumb, like delayed buying new glasses for the first time in almost ten years.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
NPC
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby NPC » 08 May 2014, 23:21

Finals are next week. I have a paper due on Monday. Were it the week after finals instead...

Maybe next time if this becomes a thing :)
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 09 May 2014, 09:11

It was decided that I be about 10000Km away from where LRRcon is happening and also that I'd have to apply for a visa and submit to a full background check to enter the US, because yay immigration policies.

But I do have this beautiful high resolution photo of celery. That's almost as good, right?

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 May 2014, 10:17

Because no one cool is going to lrrcon, only dumb people that I really dont want to hang out with and only dumb things are happening and nothing fun is going to happen and I dont like the things that are planned and even if I could go I wouldnt go cause its super dumb.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 09 May 2014, 11:51

sounds like my mantra for the weekend, Hosk.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 May 2014, 12:58

I'm also going to play the POKEMON Trading Card Game Online instead out of spite :<
cuddlyblade

Postby cuddlyblade » 09 May 2014, 14:07

Now there's a blast from the past. I haven't played that since I was like 6 or 7. I remember charazard being quite good though it's no doubt changed completely in the years since then.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 09 May 2014, 14:58

Lord Hosk wrote:Because no one cool is going to lrrcon, only dumb people that I really dont want to hang out with and only dumb things are happening and nothing fun is going to happen and I dont like the things that are planned and even if I could go I wouldnt go cause its super dumb.

I heard LoadingReadyRun is going to be there, why would anyone want to go? There's that one guy... the one with the face... yeah, screw that guy. There's also that other guy, but he's basically filler and not worth mentioning. Seriously, who would want to go anyway... baka...

If anyone needs me, I'll be doing something more fun than LRRcon... like drinking heavily... and playing blackjack... and quoting Futurama...
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 May 2014, 15:30

cuddlyblade wrote:Now there's a blast from the past. I haven't played that since I was like 6 or 7. I remember charazard being quite good though it's no doubt changed completely in the years since then.

It's basically the same. They've got different type of Decks like with Magic (I don't play magic), but I don't know how that works.

You can play it for free from the Pokemon website. Download the client, make a user and password (unless you already have a Pokemon Link username) and play.
It's the digital version of the game. Newer decks you can redeem to play with online which is nice... as I like to hold the cards in IRL, but I have no one to play with.
And it's what you'd expect. It's not the Gameboy game, but it's 100% up to date.

They added the new types and included Dragon as well. There's also EX cards which are SUPER POWERFUL Basic Cards (Legendaries) and they give 2 prizes when KO'd.

I enjoy it. I find I can obliterate the majority of AIs on hardest difficulty (blame my Gameboy obsession).

So yeah, play that to pretend that you didn't want to go to LRRCon anyway.
cuddlyblade

Postby cuddlyblade » 09 May 2014, 16:04

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:It's basically the same. They've got different type of Decks like with Magic (I don't play magic), but I don't know how that works.

You can play it for free from the Pokemon website. Download the client, make a user and password (unless you already have a Pokemon Link username) and play.
It's the digital version of the game. Newer decks you can redeem to play with online which is nice... as I like to hold the cards in IRL, but I have no one to play with.
And it's what you'd expect. It's not the Gameboy game, but it's 100% up to date.

They added the new types and included Dragon as well. There's also EX cards which are SUPER POWERFUL Basic Cards (Legendaries) and they give 2 prizes when KO'd.

Ah I see. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out some time.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:So yeah, play that to pretend that you didn't want to go to LRRCon anyway.

I'd love to be able to do that but i've unfortunately I've got to study for this exam thingy that has about a 65% failure rate on average.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 09 May 2014, 22:54

I am so freaking bummed about not going. I could have gone. We just had a baby (well, just = 9 months ago) and it kind of disrupted my ability to determine whether I could go or not. It didn't seem like a good idea to bring a 9 month old, and I certainly didn't want to try and travel with him, but I felt terrible about leaving him and my wife behind even for just 2 nights. I flinched. I totally could have gone and it would have been fine.

What's weird is that now, as I am missing this, it is SOOOOOO obvious to my wife and I that I could have gone and it wouldn't have been any problem, but we only realized this after it was too late to go.

I am so bummed out about this. I'm going to be 90 years old and on my death bed, and I am going to be thinking about how I could have gone to this. It's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 convention all over again. /sobs
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 10 May 2014, 00:12

While all us unables are bummed about not attending this year, there's always next year mate. Take your nipper somewhere local and cool, have a good weekend.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.

Return to “General Discussion”