I decided not to go to LRRcon because...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

I decided not to go to LRRcon because...

Postby Sakurazaki » 07 May 2014, 16:35

Since LRRcon is this weekend and I'm sure quite a few fans can't make the trip out to Seattle (myself included), I figured some mutual commiseration was in order. So, why are you going to miss LRRcon?

Personally, it was simply bad timing. I just graduated college and moved a few hundred miles to start a job, so I can't really justify the airline and hotel costs while my bank account is still reeling from the cost of the move. I'm in the Washington DC area now, so a cross-country flight and airport parking would eat up most of my budget before I'd even looked at the hotel costs.

Considering LRR's international audience, I'd guess that flight cost is probably high on the list of reasons not to go :(
Last edited by Sakurazaki on 07 May 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: I decided not to go to LRRcon because...

Postby Prospero101 » 07 May 2014, 16:41

I can't go because I decided to have a better convention! With blackjack! And hookers!

Also I couldn't wrangle the flight and time off work.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 07 May 2014, 16:42

Because I'm on the opposite end of the world. That and I got banned for turning up naked to the last one.

I tried to argue that it was a crime NOT to show this body! It didn't work.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 May 2014, 16:43

Pretty much just cost for me, especially for a one-day event.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 May 2014, 16:47

The cost for a one-day event (though I still agonize over being such a miser, since I could have easily afforded it). I considered staying for a week as a holiday...but there's not a whole lot I'm interested in, in that area. So I keep telling myself I'm saving up for a Europe trip to rationalize my decision.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 07 May 2014, 16:50

Traveling the length of the US twice for a 1-day show didn't really work for me either. I was thinking of touring Seattle to make the flight seem less like a waste, but I don't even have 2 days worth of leave saved up yet. I'd have to be back by Monday.

Oh well, I guess my new location means that PAX East might work out next year...
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 07 May 2014, 17:05

I also couldn't justify traveling halfway across the country for a one-day thing, even if it is LRR-related. Especially since we're saving up for a house.

Trisha Lynn
...mortgage paperwork is scary...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 May 2014, 19:00

Lets see. If I got in my car now. And drove at 110 kph, and could drive on water, and never needed gas, I would get there... on Monday morning.

Australia is faaaaaaaar.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 07 May 2014, 19:12

1.) Finals are next week.
2.) I'm a broke grad student.
3.) I didn't win the X2Y contest... so my video is going, but I'm not. That sucks.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 May 2014, 19:16

It being one day and neither set of grandparents was available for babysitting. Lady Hosk secretly booked a flight for me, but then canceled it last week after she asked me about it.

If it happens again Im there. (assuming it doenst conflict)

I was more excited about them coming to detroit but it fell on the busiest weekend we have had all year.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 07 May 2014, 19:16

I really, really wish I could go, but yeah, as a poor grad student, the flights are too expensive to have justified for just a weekend trip. If I get out to the Northwest, I want to spend some time up there!

I couldn't do a combined trip now because grad school=no time. I've got a paper deadline coming up!

Anyway the boyfriend was already planning on coming down for the weekend so it's not like I didn't already have plans. :)

Would have been nice though. Since I didn't get to see them at PAX East, I miss the LRR crew more than usual. :(
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 May 2014, 19:24

The real reason I decided not to go was that AlexanderDitto, 2stepz, korvys, Sakurazaki, Master Gunner, Kapol, Darkobra, and Prospero101 couldn't go so I just felt it wasnt worth it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 07 May 2014, 21:53

I was going to come, but then I found out they but a bloody ocean between here and Seattle. So it's now to expensive to come.

@Trisha: Can I just say I love how you sign all your posts :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 07 May 2014, 22:09

korvys wrote:Lets see. If I got in my car now. And drove at 110 kph, and could drive on water, and never needed gas, I would get there... on Monday morning.

Australia is faaaaaaaar.

I keep telling the govt they need to build a bridge from here to the States, but as of yet it still hasn't happened. Thanks, Obama.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 07 May 2014, 22:18

Because I'm 11125.4 km away from Seattle.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 07 May 2014, 22:45

I have to buy a new (second-hand) car.

My current car, 'deathtrap' Clive (no really, that's precisely how I refer to him) just failed on emissions and I'm not buying and fitting another new exhaust, the engine piston rings are too worn.

As I knew this was coming, I knew I wouldn't be able to afford to go.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 07 May 2014, 23:39

So I'm reading this thread and thinking how there are all these people in it that I'd really love to get to meet and chat with, and how there are so so many things that I myself always want to go to and just can't afford either time or money wise, and such is life which is sad, and thinking hey, maybe one of these days someone should try to do something with the idea of a "virtual convention." I mean sure, in many ways not as neat as an in-person convention, but in some ways also better. No germs and con crud, no waiting in lines, no expensive flights or booked-up hotels, and there are probably a ton of cool creative things that could be done with it. Hmm...

I dunno, it's probably a weird idea. But I had a great time doing a Google Hangout with some folks the other day and that was on my mind so it just got me pondering. And I like weird ideas.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 07 May 2014, 23:56

#Living in Australia

Edit.
Also poor.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 May 2014, 00:24

I cannot justify flying across the Pacific and back just for a weekend. Especially when I will be going back to Canada anyway in six weeks and spending the summer in Victoria.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 08 May 2014, 00:32

We're having our own lrr con here anyway, featuring me. and chrusher a beach and a bag of goon.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 May 2014, 00:34

Can we get classier booze?
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 08 May 2014, 00:36

Tally wrote:So I'm reading this thread and thinking how there are all these people in it that I'd really love to get to meet and chat with, and how there are so so many things that I myself always want to go to and just can't afford either time or money wise, and such is life which is sad, and thinking hey, maybe one of these days someone should try to do something with the idea of a "virtual convention." I mean sure, in many ways not as neat as an in-person convention, but in some ways also better. No germs and con crud, no waiting in lines, no expensive flights or booked-up hotels, and there are probably a ton of cool creative things that could be done with it. Hmm...

I dunno, it's probably a weird idea. But I had a great time doing a Google Hangout with some folks the other day and that was on my mind so it just got me pondering. And I like weird ideas.

I don't know, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. The way I would see that is having some sort of website host a schedule with different hangouts (including links of course) and people just joining the hangout of the activity they want to join (RPG game, panel, general meet and greet).

I think there might be a way to do this, but we would have to work out the finer points.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 May 2014, 00:46

I want this LRRCON to be a success so there will be future LRRCONs that I would have a better chance of going to.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 08 May 2014, 00:57

Tally wrote:So I'm reading this thread and thinking how there are all these people in it that I'd really love to get to meet and chat with, and how there are so so many things that I myself always want to go to and just can't afford either time or money wise, and such is life which is sad, and thinking hey, maybe one of these days someone should try to do something with the idea of a "virtual convention." I mean sure, in many ways not as neat as an in-person convention, but in some ways also better. No germs and con crud, no waiting in lines, no expensive flights or booked-up hotels, and there are probably a ton of cool creative things that could be done with it. Hmm...

I love the idea, but doing it on any large scale would be a logistical nightmare. Imagine the Twitch chat, but with everyone accidentally talking over each other due to latency in the call and the limited ability to sense normal conversational cues. It would have to be limited to a very small group (probably less than 20 people), or it would be complete chaos.

If there was no personal interaction, then it wouldn't be different from a normal recording of a panel or draft video. Too much interaction from too many people, and the experience fails due to cross talk.

In addition, our ability to touch our hands to other people's hands would be extremely limited. I'm told that's an important part of any LRR meetup :wink:
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 May 2014, 01:22

I didn't realize how important tactile contact was to the LRR fandom.

All jokes aside hanging out in person is superior to hanging out online.

Return to “General Discussion”