PAX Prime 2014 Master Post

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Pikachaos
First Video: Ballad of the Fanboy

PAX Prime 2014 Master Post

Postby Pikachaos » 28 May 2014, 11:02

[Didn't see one here already]

Hey there! It's that time of year again! Pax Prime tickets have just gone on sale!

Post here if you want to

-Sell/ buy PAX passes. [rule: do not sell them here at a ridiculously marked up price, that is scummy scalper activity]

-Organize hotel shares

-Tell everyone you are coming!

-Discuss awesome things related to PAX!
DeviantArt - Cyberguardian
Twitter - Pikachaos
Tumblr - http://worldnegativeone.tumblr.com/

"Y-you'll have to kill your underwear." -Ghost Graham
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: PAX Prime 2014 Master Post

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 May 2014, 11:08

well that happened fast.

27 minutes.

I would like to buy two tickets... (sigh)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 May 2014, 11:22

For all attendees, if you're flush, two hotels I've really enjoyed in Seattle that are very close are the Mayflower and 5 Hotel. Mayflower has beautiful rooms and exceptional service, 5 Hotel has free coffee and pineapple cupcakes in the afternoon and loaner bicycles!

If you want a break, Cinerama is an excellent theatre nearby with chocolate popcorn.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 28 May 2014, 11:55

EDIT: Thanks to Pruncible, we now have tickets!

Looking for one day passes (or weekend). Will pay cost plus shipping. If you want to read the sob story of how I almost got tickets and then got screwed here it is: https://plus.google.com/+LauraTomaja/posts/Bgo2o6HCSEN

If you've got passes to sell, PM me here.
Last edited by thatlaurachick on 10 Jun 2014, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 May 2014, 12:03

I would also like a weekend ticket if anyone picked up extras. But I'm lower priority as I'm not 100% sure I could go anyways.
Nullrush
First Video: http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/1

Postby Nullrush » 28 May 2014, 16:08

So I have a room with two beds at $200(total) a night from Thursday night till Monday morning, looking to share it. The hotel I'm in is the one that's basically at the convention center. Let me know if you're interested (preferably with a PM).

Figured the LRR crowd might be slightly cooler than all of PA at large, and I might have met a couple of you at LRRcon!
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 29 May 2014, 20:22

thatlaurachick wrote:Looking for one day passes (or weekend). Will pay cost plus shipping. If you want to read the sob story of how I almost got tickets and then got screwed here it is: https://plus.google.com/+LauraTomaja/posts/Bgo2o6HCSEN

If you've got passes to sell, PM me here.

You got HOSED.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 30 May 2014, 01:42

So my company is looking into exhibiting. No promises.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 30 May 2014, 09:18

Dix wrote:
thatlaurachick wrote:<i>A really sad story.</i>

You got HOSED.

Yeah, there's a reason for all the swearing...

Still looking for passes. Seriously, one of the projects I did some promo for is asking if I'll be at PAX, and I'd really love to meet the team.

*puppy eyes* ohpleaseohpleaseohplease
Nullrush

Postby Nullrush » 30 May 2014, 14:03

I assume you're keeping an eye on this subreddit if not already posted?
http://www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 30 May 2014, 16:04

Nullrush wrote:I assume you're keeping an eye on this subreddit if not already posted?
http://www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/

Yeah, but no one seems too interested in selling for face value. I won't pay markup.
Nullrush

Postby Nullrush » 30 May 2014, 16:11

It looks like the mods are attempting to address the issue of high markup, but I would expect if you didn't get the tickets originally, that you're gonna get at least a little markup.

However, I did see some people yesterday selling for face value, so maybe you'll get lucky on that front, but I wouldn't exactly hold out hope for no markup at all.

The mod post in question
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 30 May 2014, 16:16

Welp, guess we won't be going. I'm sorry but the ~$200 for us both is as far as our budgets stretch.

If I had extra tickets, I would sell them for what I paid. I don't mind paying someone to ship them to me, but if people wouldn't try to make so much on reselling these, there might be quite a bit more to go around. Nowhere near enough, but more people would get tickets during the sale, legitimately.

EDIT: Just because scalping is legal in Washington state doesn't mean anybody thinks it's a good thing. :)
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 May 2014, 16:40

I know this may sound like madness, but truly... booking travel and getting passes when you arrive is not so much of a gamble as you might imagine.

The fact is, the people willing to sell at face often only know they have extra tickets when PAX approaches. Every time I've sold spares, I've only known that they were spares less than a month before the con... in some cases I've only known I had a spare ticket after I arrived at PAX, and someone called me to say they couldn't attend.

Right now, there is far less supply and honestly, that paucity of supply is largely because most of the people who bought PAX badges did so with full intent of attending themselves. Let's imagine that right now, less than 1% of PAX badges are on the market. When it comes to a few weeks before PAX, I'd boost that number up to 5-10%.

I have known dozens of people who showed up at PAX and bought badges there, and none of them have ever spent more than face+50%, even those who bought on ebay when badges were sent out. More than half of them managed to get badges at near face, though they often missed extremely early morning panels in order to arrange meetups with badge sellers on craigslist.

Right now, I personally know three people who have badges and are not certain they will be able to go, but they won't know if they can go until they get their schedule for that month, which won't be until a few weeks before the con. Basically, the prices are so high because the number of people who buy badges expecting to make quick money is so small.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 30 May 2014, 16:53

Telaril - Kinda weird but, did you see my profile? We live in Seattle. In fact, we live in DOWNTOWN Seattle. I can walk home from PAX for lunch, takes less than 10 mininutes. I'm well aware of how this works. Yes, more badges will come on the market later, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to firm up my plans now so my husband can put in for time off from work.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 May 2014, 17:11

D'oh! I totally should have seen that, sorry >_<. I saw your "guess we won't be going" and thought it meant you'd given up. I completely understand your feelings, I'd be just as irritated if I were in the same boat.

Apologies for the rant. I've just spent several hours over the past few days talking people down from the ledges of despair/talking them out of spending $400 on ebay. I actually talked two friends into pre-scheduling their time off, and I hope I didn't lead them astray.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 30 May 2014, 17:19

Nah, it's cool. And yes, please talk about out of over-paying. It does us all a favor. :)
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 30 May 2014, 19:10

Yeah, anything on the market right now is going to be people who bought just to scalp. It'll be a while before people who were planning on going run into other obligations and sell their passes. Buying second hand... patience is a key.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 30 May 2014, 19:33

Reality is demand is going to vastly outstrip supply for this event no matter how you slice it. I suppose you could do some sort of entrance lottery, but that has its own issues.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 30 May 2014, 19:43

The drawback to entrance lottery? Everyone has an equal chance. Right now scalpers who have the luxury of sitting in front of a computer all day can get the drop on everyone else. A lottery per person or per order ensures that everyone who wants a chance, can register.

Will people who have no intention of attending get passes and scalp them? Yes. But people like me, people who were out living life because we're adults who may not be able to just sit around waiting for Khoo to tweet, will have a chance.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 May 2014, 20:45

Every single entrance lottery system I know of has been "beaten" by scalpers. In that case, someone who can randomly generate email addresses, automate the filling out of email forms, and obtain access to a bunch of "one-off" credit cards has a far, far better chance of obtaining multiple passes than anyone else.

I know a few people who run conventions, and it's generally theorized that the PAX system probably does more to minimize scalping than practically any other that doesn't involve a GDC-style RFID badge, which would raise overhead sky high. The thing about the current system is that scalpers can have bots ready, yes, but unlike scheduled lotteries, they have less time to plan, and they don't have a set "release" time, etc. This actually makes some of their tools (like the temporary credit-card generation stuff) more difficult to set up.

Mandatory Will-call might also do something, but that is a hassle and a half, and very prone to disaster. I've known cons half the size of PAX that had 15-20 reg booths running and still had eight-hour lines to pick up badges on day one of the convention.

Now, I AM worried about next year... very worried. This year the queue had a several minute variance on when you entered and when it popped - I clicked the link less than 20 seconds after it went out, and I didn't get 4-days. But a friend of mine opened two windows, one on her computer and then one on her phone, and the phone one went off before the computer one by several minutes - the difference between getting saturday badges and not getting them.

So we may end up with a de-facto lottery, if not a truly fair one. The whims of the internet winds may determine our fate next year, and all the Alt F5ing in the world shall not save us.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 31 May 2014, 06:01

The other option, of course, would be to raise prices in line with demand. Don't think that's to popular.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 31 May 2014, 09:44

One could argue that the incidence of scalping DOES raise the price toward the demand, with the overage going to people other than PAX.

On the other hand, this method has some of the tickets being sold at higher prices, and some going at face value (either to first-hand customer/attendees, or through second-hand for reasons that have been listed above. Whereas, while a straight raise in ticket prices would see 'all' the revenue going to the actual convention organizers, it would mean EVERYONE is paying more. :(

Where the 'balance point' between which of the two options is better and where we're at in reality is anybody's guess...

(sucks to have ideas about a problem that don't actually help solve it...but then, that's par for the course, it seems)
Pruncible
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Pruncible » 09 Jun 2014, 12:11

thatlaurachick wrote:Will people who have no intention of attending get passes and scalp them? Yes. But people like me, people who were out living life because we're adults who may not be able to just sit around waiting for Khoo to tweet, will have a chance.

Not to interrupt the spirited discussion here, but I have 2 extra sets of 4 1-day passes (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) that I bought presuming my friends wouldn't all get passes themselves. They all got passes themselves. So now I'm sitting on these, and I'd prefer to have the money than the passes. I'm cool with selling them at face value, but two things:

(1) I just registered on LRR forums, so I look super sketchy, I know. I'm a semi-regular for over a year in #desertbus, FWIW. I can provide RL contact information in private. But I totally understand if my lack of stature in the LRR community makes you ill-at-ease.
(2) I'd prefer to get paid (at least 1/2) beforehand to secure the tickets because I wasn't expecting to have to sit on these passes for so long.

Send me a PM or reply here. I've set up a calendar reminder for myself to check this thread again the next few days.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 10 Jun 2014, 07:03

Pruncible wrote:
Send me a PM or reply here. I've set up a calendar reminder for myself to check this thread again the next few days.

PM sent. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “General Discussion”