State of LRRBot

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
d3fr0st5
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

State of LRRBot

Postby d3fr0st5 » 27 Jun 2014, 19:55

Alright so has some of you might be aware a little while over month ago I've started to let LRRBot fall on the wayside as I needed to figure out school and job stuff, and things have slightly slowed down lately so I'm hopefully going to be helping out LRRBot development more actively.

So I would like to use this thread to see where different people would like LRRBot to be added to LRRBot and what they think needs improvement.

Here's a quick round up of what LRRBot actually is at the moment for those who don't follow the development of the tool. LRRBot is currently a python3 IRC bot that reads commands given through twitch chat and does... things with them. LRRBot is hosted on qrpth's server (which I'm so grateful for), and is being developed primarily by Mr.Phlip, with the help of qrpth, and I. LRRBot's code can be seen at https://github.com/mrphlip/lrrbot/ with the legacy mIRC script I wrote for the original LRRBot, feel free to use the code as you wish.

Recently the addition of the !explain command was executed poorly sadly. But with that said I do really value the feature and think that the state it's at at the moment is pretty valuable for the community even with the hiccups at implementation.

So I'm currently working on two things, the first is a toggle for responses so that there can be subscriber-only responses, I'm not quite sure what will get moved around but hopefully with this change we'll be able to let the chat have some more joke responses and such while not having them spammed every ten seconds and cluttering the chat with them. Secondly as an ongoing project I'm trying to get stats have an owner so that let's say Graham plays a game and Alex... or let's say Cameron... play the same game we can keep stats separated while not having to rely on the !override command.

That last thing has been a real pain in the ass to implement as the way I'm trying to do it is linked to the calendar and uses to stream title to verify the stream, and I'm having a really tough time figuring out how Mr.Phlip got the calendar to return the proper stream >_>. Though it has been suggested to parse the stream title and use that instead to determine the current player I feel redundancy might be needed due to twitch known reliability to convey metadata.

Also Mods if you mass delete responses could you send me a txt file with the things being removed or put them on the github page somewhere so that we have record of it happening cause digging through logs isn't really fun... and I would appreciate having some sort of history of commands that went the way of the dodo.

So like I said, use this thread to express thoughts on what you think should change or what you'd like to see added to the bot, or what you're working on if you are developing it or want to start developing it (it'll have to be approved by Mr.Phlip when submitted, but go ahead it's open source for a reason).

Oh god this turned out much longer than expected...
Last edited by d3fr0st5 on 27 Jun 2014, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
BlackDragonMTG
First Video: Friday Nights - Returns

Re: State of LRRBot

Postby BlackDragonMTG » 27 Jun 2014, 20:30

Defrosts I only have one problem with the bot...it's such a troll can you have it stahp!

But seriously the work you guys have done on the bot since it's debut has been fantastical. Keep up the good work, and should I think of something I'll come back and suggest it.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jun 2014, 21:00

If you can add in functions from MTG bot other than voting on drafting the cards, that would be cool. Being able to get information on cards on-the-fly would be useful.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

d3fr0st5

Postby d3fr0st5 » 27 Jun 2014, 21:39

Memo that should be doable by pulling from gatherer, but I feel it would bring the same issues as the !explain command brought before being mod-only
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jun 2014, 21:59

Oh, of course. Limited in scope would be great, but sometimes, just being able to type in chat is better than pulling up Gatherer in another window and waiting for it to load. This is especially good for the streamer themselves.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 27 Jun 2014, 23:59

For reference: there is another LRRbot thread here, and there's also been a fair bit of bot discussion in the general LRL feedback thread (including this post I keep linking to where I spelled out my philosophy re: joke commands).

d3fr0st5 wrote:So I'm currently working on two things, the first is a toggle for responses so that there can be subscriber-only responses, I'm not quite sure what will get moved around but hopefully with this change we'll be able to let the chat have some more joke responses and such while not having them spammed every ten seconds and cluttering the chat with them.

If adding a flag to make some responses sub-only is too complicated, I wouldn't be too put off by just making all the static responses sub-only... the actual informative (and useful) commands, like !next or whatever, let those be used by anyone, but the static commands like !panic and !advice can probably survive being be subscriber perks.

d3fr0st5 wrote:I'm having a really tough time figuring out how Mr.Phlip got the calendar to return the proper stream >_>.

It's actually on my to-do list to rewrite all of that to use the real Google Calendar API to get the events, rather than just downloading the raw ICS and parsing it myself... the code would probably be a lot simpler that way, and more resilient to special features in Google Calendar that I didn't know about... Haven't yet gotten around to actually writing the code, though.

d3fr0st5 wrote:Also Mods if you mass delete responses could you send me a txt file with the things being removed or put them on the github page somewhere so that we have record of it happening cause digging through logs isn't really fun... and I would appreciate having some sort of history of commands that went the way of the dodo.

In addition to the logs, there's also a backup made of the data file every day, so you can go and look back at some of the older ones from there. Maybe there can be some sort of history screen or audit trail or something made, but I don't think that's a huge priority.

AdmiralMemo wrote:Being able to get information on cards on-the-fly would be useful.

Yeah, that's another thing I've been thinking about... it won't be pulling them from Gatherer, they don't allow that, but mtgjson is a thing...

It'd definitely be mod-only out of the box, though, otherwise it'd be used for nothing but spam.

Hmm... maybe I should be putting some of my "things I should do at some point" plans into the github bugtracker or something, so they're out there, rather than just rattling around in my brain where no-one can see them...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 28 Jun 2014, 00:06

phlip wrote:
d3fr0st5 wrote:So I'm currently working on two things, the first is a toggle for responses so that there can be subscriber-only responses, I'm not quite sure what will get moved around but hopefully with this change we'll be able to let the chat have some more joke responses and such while not having them spammed every ten seconds and cluttering the chat with them.

If adding a flag to make some responses sub-only is too complicated, I wouldn't be too put off by just making all the static responses sub-only... the actual informative (and useful) commands, like !next or whatever, let those be used by anyone, but the static commands like !panic and !advice can probably survive being be subscriber perks.

Just my two cents as someone who appreciates but rarely interacts with LRRbot: I don't think that would help all that much. In the average stream, it looks to my eyes like at least 75% of chatters are subscribed. I haven't paid attention to the status of people actually triggering LRRbot, but I'd imagine it's similar. So it seems like the reduction in spamming of commands would be pretty small.

That said, I suppose it doesn't hurt to incentivize more people give LRR money.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 28 Jun 2014, 09:40

LRRBot has mod powers, right? Could the ability to delete comments come in handy to reduce chat clutter?
d3fr0st5

Postby d3fr0st5 » 28 Jun 2014, 14:03

While LRRBot has the ability to clear the chat doing it at set intervals is really annoying for people trying to have a conversation, and I'd rather not abuse the purge function has it just ends up with a bunch of <message deleted> in the chat.

Return to “General Discussion”