Tarot Cards: For fun and profit

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Tarot Cards: For fun and profit

Postby Sieg Reyu » 12 Aug 2014, 19:07

Soooooooo, I got a wild hair the other day, as I am wont to do, and decided to buy a deck of tarot cards from some reason. My justification is that I am going to work it into a D&D campaign where a fortune teller becomes a recurring character. But honestly, I think I've always wanted to own one, just for funsies I guess. I think part of what convinced me to buy them was rewatching the Crapshots and just being very curious about the cards and what they actually meant.

I've started reading a book on the subject as well. 78 Degrees of Wisom, by Rachel Pollack. Going in, I was expecting a bunch of melodramatic mysticism, but I was got off guard by how much philosophy has gone into it. It's actually turning out to be an interesting read.

Anybody else ever dabbled in Tarot or had a Tarot reading?
Image Image Image
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Re: Tarot Cards: For fun and profit

Postby Rikadyn » 12 Aug 2014, 19:11

yes
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Aug 2014, 19:23

My mum did. Fortune teller told her that I'd be rich, I'd be successful and I'd travel the entire world.

Now that last part is how I KNOW it's not true! I hate even leaving my ROOM! I don't even want to go downstairs to reheat yesterday's pizza because it's too much of a journey!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 12 Aug 2014, 23:27

Dabbled? I led the development of this special tarot deck for nerds!

Only the major arcana, sadly. But the point is, don't underestimate the value of making your own tarot, out of archetypes that matter to you. Grant Morrison goes into the topic in his book Pop Magic if you're curious.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 14 Aug 2014, 13:21

Based on what I've read so far, it seems a much more appropriate 0 would have been The Newb instead of Food.

But man, if I had ridiculous amounts of money, I would totally love to commission some art for a deck made out of D&D/Tabletop RPG characters I've made over the year. I've got more than enough for the major arcana. Though I doubt I could fill the minor arcana with unique characters. Though a One Piece one sounds fun, too.
Image Image Image
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 14 Aug 2014, 23:09

"0: The Food is the beginning of the nerd's journey through the Internet, the one remnant of the physical world we take with us." Also, puns. :3

See we were trying to come up with our own mythologies and symbologies for the cards to represent rather than just paint over Crowley's common tarot with nerdy terms. Though it may be hard to tell. It turns out those universal symbols are hard to get away from.

But as to the money issue, it depends on how much you want the deck to look good and/or have original art. There's nothing stopping you drawing some pictures yourself.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Aug 2014, 09:26

My terrible artistic abilities stop me.
Image Image Image
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 20 Aug 2014, 17:11

I can't read for myself, because no matter how hard I try I can't seperate myself from myself, to be able to clearly determine the meanings in my cards, my own wants influence the reading which makes it usually worthless to read for myself.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...

Return to “General Discussion”