Depression Quest

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Aug 2014, 16:38

I didn't like the opening either but I continued to watch to see why they had that view. If she had slept with various people behind a partner's back there are some who would say they were 'a terrible person'. I could say the same thing about one of my parents who had two affairs and one resulted in a miscarriage.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Firbozz
Posts: 134
Joined: 23 Nov 2013, 22:30
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Firbozz » 20 Aug 2014, 16:56

Regarding claims of breach of journalistic integrity, I direct you to this:
http://kotaku.com/in-recent-days-ive-be ... 1624707346

As for the rest, I will not comment on what did or didn't happen, because that's not our business. What I will say is that anyone who provides an excuse to "the internet" (broad strokes) justifing their hatred of Quinn is either an idiot, or did so with malicious intent.
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Depression Quest

Postby korvys » 20 Aug 2014, 17:07

These new "revelations" are not the reason people are attacking Zoe. They are attacking her for the same reason they attacked her before, when she was trying to get DQ on Steam Greenlight. They are attacking her for the same reason they attack Anita.

These women represent change. I take a small amount of comfort from this crap. These people are afraid. And they should be. Their tiny, shitty little world is collapsing. They lash out at people who make a difference. Cause they can't. They can't change things. The world will get better and leave them behind. Sad, pathetic, sexist, racist, homophobic cowards who see their own extinction coming, and can't do anything about it.

There are some legitimate criticisms of these people, and they hide behind that to spew their hatred. It's not the reason, it just the latest round of ammunition. "It's about journalistic integrity". "It's about emotional abuse". You fucking cowards. The world is changing, accept your end. Fuck off.

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't directed at anyone here. Unless you're the sort of person who thinks the harassment, etc, is ok. In which case, it totally was.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5982
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Depression Quest

Postby King Kool » 20 Aug 2014, 19:42

TotalBiscuit had something to say about it. The material about the issue at hand doesn't really what interests me (again, the stuff that was revealed about Zoe is disavowed by me), but his analysis of the less-helpful backlash from her defenders.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1

TotalBiscuit wrote:Last time I got involved in anything like that I ended up with all manner of unpleasant shit thrown at me from both sides, which is maybe also why a lot of those with the loud voices get very quiet when things like this happen. You are throwing yourself in front of the blunderbuss and hoping it doesn't hit you. It's often just not worth the aggro. I got enough real life cancer to fight without having to deal with the fake internet stuff. Chemo gives me less headaches than this stuff.


Jontron retweeted a NSFW comic he was featured in about the issue (not a good one at all, IMO) and now he's got people who want to take his Youtube channel down and report him for abuse. For something that wasn't on Youtube. (If they get his Twitter taken down... 1. I'd be kinda surprised, 2. At least it was ON Twitter, and 3. It will just push more people further apart and give indignation fuel to those on the wrong side.)

God, I feel like I'm defending a movie I didn't even like from someone who's just taking it too far. (Oddly enough, I couldn't come up with a movie I only sorta liked that everyone else hated for this example.) If the reaction wasn't so over-the-top, this would be clear as day: he's an ass. Judge people for what they say and do, absolutely, but... I just wish cooler heads prevailed more often than not.

Anger is seldom persuasive by itself. Insults are never persuasive. Using your anger, knowing why you're angry and expressing it to someone in a way that they can understand why you're angry... that's the way to change hearts and minds. Sometimes.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Depression Quest

Postby korvys » 20 Aug 2014, 19:56

If you have a voice (in the metaphorical sense) as loud as Total Biscuit or Jontron, you have to be aware of the impact of what you say.

Regardless of what their intentions are, by posting that, they basically allied themselves, and put their weight behind, the people who have doxxed Zoe, and are making phone calls to her and her family, and posting nudes of her. So fuck them.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Depression Quest

Postby korvys » 20 Aug 2014, 20:44

Just a note, I don't think TB is wrong, just thoughtless. DCMA take downs used wrongly are wrong. Journalistic integrity is important.

But as Uncle Ben said, "With great power comes great responsibility". In this case, he is using his power to reinforce valid points made by truly despicable people.

By analogy, if the KKK said "Lemonade is awesome, but black people suck", it's probably a bad time to stick your head up and say "They're right, lemonade *is* awesome", especially if you have any level of influence.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Loslomo
Posts: 40
Joined: 27 Jan 2010, 09:56
First Video: Can't honestly remember
Location: Portland, Or

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Loslomo » 20 Aug 2014, 22:28

Welp, I just saw the opening of the latest IDDQDerp and decided to get myself educated...

And I want to leave the world. Do we have any colony ships leaving soon?

(Something else was going to go here, but I decided against it for my own sanity)
"Rise again, rise again. Though your heart may be broken or life about to end..."
-Stan Rogers, The Mary Ellen Carter
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Aug 2014, 05:11

So now that I've seen a few more articles about this, specifically the Kotaku response, I am perhaps more confused than before about what happened.

So, a Game Dev's ex made a post with claims that the Game Dev cheated on him by offering to exchange sexual favours with a Games Journalist for favourable reviews of their games. So now the pitchforks are coming out, despite the fact that the Games Journalist in question did not, in fact, ever write a public review of any of the Game Dev's games.

So the ex is an ass for airing personal grievances in public, the Game Dev's personal life is none of our fucking business, and had the Journalist written favourable reviews in exchange for sexual favours it would be a major breach of professional ethics...but he didn't. And the internet is, of course, the internet, and needs to chill the fuck out and mind its own business.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Hiramas
Posts: 28
Joined: 16 May 2014, 14:20
First Video: The Zero Punctuation Crossover

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Hiramas » 21 Aug 2014, 05:33

This whole thing is a terrible, convoluted mess, based on if anything questionable information from questionable sources.
And because, for the raging internet, a personal relationship fuck up is not enough, they drag even more people into that mess.

What really hurts my feelings of hope for any kind of human future is the fact that this happens over absolutly irrelevant things...
It's a game goddammit, it's not even the latest EA desaster...

But people are like that. Take a few bits of information, form you own sorry excuse of an opinion about it and hate everyone who disagrees. Multiply that by a few thousand idiots and you have most of the internet. I haven't even touched the mysogonistic low-lives that populate 9gag comments and the like.

And now I have to apologize to you guys for this rant, because stories like this one make me really, really, really angry.
Flaming and hating a very minor Game Dev (no matter her personality or morals) and then, of course, buying the next Call of Duty or FIFA from companys that have nothing but contempt for their customers it seems.
Damn. Angry. Sorry.
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Darkobra » 21 Aug 2014, 05:37

Master Gunner wrote:So now that I've seen a few more articles about this, specifically the Kotaku response, I am perhaps more confused than before about what happened.

So, a Game Dev's ex made a post with claims that the Game Dev cheated on him by offering to exchange sexual favours with a Games Journalist for favourable reviews of their games. So now the pitchforks are coming out, despite the fact that the Games Journalist in question did not, in fact, ever write a public review of any of the Game Dev's games.

So the ex is an ass for airing personal grievances in public, the Game Dev's personal life is none of our fucking business, and had the Journalist written favourable reviews in exchange for sexual favours it would be a major breach of professional ethics...but he didn't. And the internet is, of course, the internet, and needs to chill the fuck out and mind its own business.


That is word for word what a friend of mine said who just heard about it this morning and looked into it the past hour. And you're both right.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Depression Quest

Postby korvys » 21 Aug 2014, 21:21

And now, because he supported Zoe, Phil Fish has been hacked and his financial information released (or so I'm reading).

So once again, forgive me if I don't give any consideration to any of the claims that these people are doing this for the sake of journalistic integrity.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Aug 2014, 01:24

Anever thought they were.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Depression Quest

Postby korvys » 23 Aug 2014, 02:48

"you" being not anyone in particular, just a rhetorical device. Just frustrated. Sorry :(
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Aug 2014, 10:17

Didn't think you were.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Aug 2014, 14:59

Watching videos on youtube and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
http://imgur.com/a/4VOcx

Pinch of salt and all.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
poopintheairtonight
Posts: 67
Joined: 09 Aug 2014, 12:13
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: Depression Quest

Postby poopintheairtonight » 23 Aug 2014, 16:21

Browsing stuff on imgur I've come across several posts that regardless of the claims of her personal relationships make me think that agreeing with either side of this is going to leave you feeling in need of a shower.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5982
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Depression Quest

Postby King Kool » 25 Aug 2014, 07:01

Elomin Sha wrote:Watching videos on youtube and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
http://imgur.com/a/4VOcx

Pinch of salt and all.


I browsed that image set, and then I saw the credits at the bottom taking broad swipes at the appearance of some people involved in this whole thing.

Yeahhh, I'm not so sure about this.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
CSt
Posts: 117
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 08:32
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race
Location: Europe

Re: Depression Quest

Postby CSt » 25 Aug 2014, 07:27

King Kool wrote:Yeahhh, I'm not so sure about this.


Oh come on, 'not so sure'. This thing is brilliant in training people to argue by showing what not to do. I am not sure who made this 'work' but he (almost certainly a he) should get help. Like these "virgins" who read more depressed than anything else.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests