What is Adam Baldwin thinking?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: What is Adam Baldwin thinking?

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Sep 2014, 06:54

romangoro wrote:Well played, Rami Ismail.
Agreed. Took me a second to figure it out.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 18 Sep 2014, 09:00

Even 4chan has decided to stop gamergate threads. http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/264185884
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 18 Sep 2014, 14:25

I've been off twitter. What did Rami do?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 18 Sep 2014, 15:27

As linked on the previous page, he posted a thing with the "full disclosure" that #gamergate pretends to be asking for, and basically lists down every networking contact he has, and his ties to various different gaming-related companies and organisations.

The disclaimer is approximately 10 times as long as the body of the post.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
korvys

Postby korvys » 18 Sep 2014, 15:44

Oh, derp. For some reason, I thought Ditto's post and the responses were completely unrelated. I just figured Rami had done something else awesome (he does that a lot). He's been engaging with gamegate folks on his Ask.FM quite a bit as well.

keybase.io
jacetheSJW
First Video: magic the gathering stream

Postby jacetheSJW » 18 Sep 2014, 17:22

For those of you that defended their email group, I would love for you to look their their thread about this.

http://pastebin.com/8EK3uCt4

You should find it...enlightening. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 18 Sep 2014, 17:46

Regarding that "secret journalist mailing list, here, 5 minutes of googling

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/a ... urnalists/
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Sep 2014, 17:58

Summary:

- Reporter asks a question to other reporters about whether pursuing a story about the harassment of a developer, against her express wishes, is an ethical thing to do.

-several staff from communities around the web (rightly) suggest that the EIC of one such community is allowing his platform to be used in a toxic way.

- several industry professionals discuss when it is and isn't appropriate to report on sexual misconduct within the industry: (general consensus - sexual harassment and assault, probably worth reporting on. Private sex lives made public, probably not.)

-several industry professionals (who have all broadly agreed on their own, and irrespective of the email chain, that a person has been subject to a massive shit-show of harassment and abuse) wonder if it might be a good idea to send that person a card, or a letter of support. - opinions differ, but most appear to think it's a bad idea. No letter or card is ever drafted.

-several industry professionals note that other such professionals have started writing about the situation (which by this point has grown more out of control)

-several industry professionals bandy about the idea of backing game projects on patreon or kickstarter - most seem to agree that it's probably best to not, and that Kotaku's new policy against it makes sense.

-several industry professionals discuss (briefly) the fact that Vice interviewed the ex boyfriend, and generally agree that while he appears to be a human being, who is hurt, and remorseful, he did a pretty shitty thing.

LITERALLY THE MOST CORRUPT.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Sep 2014, 18:02

I mean, I guess you could use disinfectant on a thing that's pretty clean, but you won't get much more dirt off it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 18 Sep 2014, 18:07

Yeah, seriously. I think I get the idea that this is supposedly the equivalent of the burgersandfries logs, but it's really not. What I'm seeing here is a list of journalists trying to get a handle on an ethical situation and wondering what the best approach is. It's actually kind of heartening seeing them wrestle with the situation.

Should it be happening in a cross-publication closed email list? I'm still dubious, but if this is the worst there is, seriously, it paints the list well, not badly.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Sep 2014, 18:11

Considering it basically starts with a question about how to act ethically, it should serve as nothing more than evidence that game journos are actually way more concerned with responsible reporting than we give them credit for.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 18 Sep 2014, 18:15

It's also kind of fun to see what the various guys are like 'behind closed doors' as it were. Ben's punchy.

Actually, no, there is another aspect to it here.

It puts the lie that the SJW thing is a pose to bed.

Look at this. With no-one but each other to talk to, they're concerned about the harassment, they find the misogyny appalling, they're (gasp) talking like we are here.

Surely you can't read this and believe they're talking about feminism and other issues just as a way to score clicks. They're sincere.
jacetheSJW

Postby jacetheSJW » 18 Sep 2014, 18:23

that you guys don't even understand the problem just shows why Gamer Gate has to keep going. It is unacceptable for them to manipulate discussion like this or to try to shut down threads on various forums. Fuck these guys, it was clear they knew it was a complicated ethical issues, but they decided to run pieces about how everyone interested was misogynistic instead. At this point the only thing that could stop GG is mass firings.
jacetheSJW

Postby jacetheSJW » 18 Sep 2014, 18:24

JackSlack wrote:It's also kind of fun to see what the various guys are like 'behind closed doors' as it were. Ben's punchy.

Actually, no, there is another aspect to it here.

It puts the lie that the SJW thing is a pose to bed.

Look at this. With no-one but each other to talk to, they're concerned about the harassment, they find the misogyny appalling, they're (gasp) talking like we are here.

Surely you can't read this and believe they're talking about feminism and other issues just as a way to score clicks. They're sincere.

check out the gamer gate # and look at the excerpts people have posted. if you think this is non-controversial you are deluded.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 18 Sep 2014, 18:25

Wait, Jace.

How is this 'manipulating the discussion' but the burgersandfries logs don't show exactly the same?

I mean, I think it's quite the other way around. Here, they're discussing 'Shit, this has happened, what's the right way to handle it? Should we be locking down a thread? Is that being totalitarian? Or am I allowing harassment if I don't?' That's not manipulating a discussion, that's trying to seek ethical advice on moderating a website.

By contrast, the burgersandfries logs showed people deliberately discussion creating hashtags and poses to directly manipulate the conversation.

You're accusing the wrong side here, if your charge is manipulation.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Sep 2014, 18:26

Would it be wrong for a moderator in this forum to lock a thread in which people were harassing one another or being abusive?
jacetheSJW

Postby jacetheSJW » 18 Sep 2014, 18:38

JackSlack wrote:Wait, Jace.

How is this 'manipulating the discussion' but the burgersandfries logs don't show exactly the same?

I mean, I think it's quite the other way around. Here, they're discussing 'Shit, this has happened, what's the right way to handle it? Should we be locking down a thread? Is that being totalitarian? Or am I allowing harassment if I don't?' That's not manipulating a discussion, that's trying to seek ethical advice on moderating a website.

By contrast, the burgersandfries logs showed people deliberately discussion creating hashtags and poses to directly manipulate the conversation.

You're accusing the wrong side here, if your charge is manipulation.

If you are referring to the logs Quinn released, I have already told you why that is not analogous. ANYONE can use IRC, it is not a secret google group. There are groups actively trolling discussion of GG, like SomethingAwful and many anons from 4chan. The idea that those things are comparable to this is mindblowing to me.

Other than that I have nothing to say since apparently it's totally cool for jerks like Ben Kuchera to decide what constitutes harassment and shut down discussion. Next up, SilverString Media controversies!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 18 Sep 2014, 18:43

Why is the fact that they're anonymous a shield against the claim that they were trying to deliberately manipulate the conversation, Jace?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Sep 2014, 19:06

jacetheSJW wrote:The idea that those things are comparable to this is mindblowing to me.

They aren't comparable. The 4chan logs are way the hell worse.

-m

I am not angry at you.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Sep 2014, 19:07

Jace?

You're gonna have to get out of that distorted little shell you're hiding in, because it's too small for you now, and it's gonna crush you as you grow up and realize the world doesn't work the way you used to think it does.

The amazing thing that I find you accept the dumps of a PRIVATE MAILING LIST without wondering about the means used to obtain something that is NOT publically-accessible. You know, unlike...oh, records of an IRC chat - you'd know all about how secure and private THAT sort of thing is.

So maybe that might help 'un-mindblow' you in realizing that people MIGHT think less of you and your arguments, if your 'evidence' appears to be obtained in less than ethical legal means

You keep telling us to read the dumps - I did. And I'd advise you to do the same...without your blinders, because these questionably-obtained documents really don't show ANYTHING anywhere close to what you're claiming. At most, there was one hot-headed appeal beyond the pale...that was ignored. Definitely not seeing The Yellow Kid around here.

So again, that invalid little shell of belief you're squirming inside is gonna have to be cast aside soon, because it's really not gonna fit you anymore.

Oh, and don't come to ME and try to tell me ANYTHING about 4chan, or /b/, or Anonymous, little child; they're not ALL tree-hugging, dirt-munching pacifists here, you know. :twisted:
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 18 Sep 2014, 19:07

Anonymity's a load of cow manure when it comes to these things. It's used as both a weapon and a shield, as targets are faced with nameless harassers, while indistinguishable voices claim "they're not with us." If people truly believe in their cause, and are not putting themselves at personal risk by doing so, it is their onus to relinquish anonymity. Why? Because accountability leads to some degree of credibility. Want to show that you really do care? Be willing to attach your identity to it.
The anon horde is a singular mass, regardless of how many directions its appendages pull.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Sep 2014, 19:22

jacetheSJW wrote:Next up, SilverString Media controversies!

How about not?

You're tilting at a windmill here, Jace.

No one seems to actually believe you, or think that your clams have any real credibility. There are a few here who are engaging you out of an apparent morbid curiosity; performing a forensic examination of what lead you to the position you adhere to, but that's not because they're at all convinced by what you're saying.

So, as someone who is able to speak with a degree of authority with regard to the kind of community and culture the owners of this site would like to cultivate and maintain, I'm asking you, directly, to please take your crusade elsewhere. The fight you're waging here you've already lost.

If that means that our site ends up on some anon's "SJW site blacklist" jpeg, then that's just a cross that we'll have to bear.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 18 Sep 2014, 19:27

The fact that we're fanning out over a group of Canadians not named Stephen might have given the game away, granted.
korvys

Postby korvys » 18 Sep 2014, 19:29

You can even draw a red line in MSPaint from here to Maya, if that would make you feel better.

By the way, I love those lists. I'm finding so many journalist and personalities to follow. They're pretty much a who's who of people who don't stand for conspiracies and harassment. I can't think of any better qualities in a journalist.

keybase.io
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 18 Sep 2014, 19:41

Korvys, if you aren't all ready you should check out the stuff Matt Lees does. He puts out some great content (both insightful and entertaining).

Return to “General Discussion”