Operation Market Garden

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Operation Market Garden

Postby Dutch guy » 17 Sep 2014, 11:45

On the 17th of September 1944 41,628 troops boarded C-47 transport planes, Waco assault gliders, tanks, trucks and jeeps to begin an operation known as Market Garden. An attempt to secure a path across the major rivers separating the north from the south of the Netherlands. It was a bold plan. Many didn't even believe it was possible at all. After intense fighting the column of tanks and trucks making its way north from Belgium made it up to Nijmegen. The final objective had been the road bridge at Arnhem. 10.000 men had been expected to hold it for 2 days. In the end, 740 British troops managed to hold it for 4 days before lack of ammo and supplies meant they were either killed or captured.

In the end between 15,326 and 17,200 of these British, American, Canadian and Polish soldiers did not make it back home alive after the operation. They laid down their lives in an attempt to liberate western Europe from the clutches of the Nazi forces. They laid down their lives to liberate the country I live in, and allow me to live in freedom.

Today I remember the sacrifice of these brave men. Today I take a moment to remember their story.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Operation Market Garden

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Sep 2014, 11:52

And not forget it was a total mess. If I had 'A Bridge Too Far' I would watch it tonight.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 17 Sep 2014, 12:23

Thanks for reminding me Dutch Guy. I almost forgot that was today.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Hiramas
First Video: The Zero Punctuation Crossover

Postby Hiramas » 18 Sep 2014, 00:11

I am German and currently on vacation in the Netherlands.
That this is even possible is in part due to these men fighting.
That Europe has enjoyed nearly 70 years of peace is due to these men fighting.
Let's not ever forget them and all the other innocent people who died during these years.

Return to “General Discussion”