Television We're Watching Now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Television We're Watching Now

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 May 2016, 04:00

I think Gotham just showed that Jerome (Joker) is still alive.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 26 May 2016, 04:56

Limitless canceled :( :( :(

Always me favorite new show gets canceled. Always. bah.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 26 May 2016, 07:15

The last thing I watched was The People vs. OJ. I haven't watched another series since Mad Men ended (I dropped Gotham sometime during the first season, after Black Mask got introduced).
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 20 Aug 2016, 14:00

I just watched all of Stranger Things (8 1hr eps) in the last two days. I really enjoyed it, and am rather pleased with the whole thing. Anyone else given it a go?
-betsy
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 21 Aug 2016, 13:07

yeah, really enjoyed it too. A lot to like.
One nitpick (very minor spoiler)
Bit fed up with the psychics get nose bleeds cliche. Its like, everywhere.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 22 Aug 2016, 04:04

I'm watching Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Currently in season 5 and 3, respectively. I find Voyager a little inconsistent(I find many episodes have unfulfilling endings, and there are some weird oddities, like Kes and Neelix breaking up off-screen sometime before Darkling, which was the last episode I've seen so far), but I am enjoying it. I'm much preferring DS9, though.

TNG is my favourite series so far, though.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Aug 2016, 17:45

Voyager was meant to be episodic, which, while it doesn't excuse the inconsistencies, does kind of explain it. Basically, the writers of the episodes weren't talking with each other very much.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 22 Aug 2016, 19:33

I went through DS9 and VOY about 2 years ago. DS9 is good, but I always disliked what they did with Gul Dukat in the final season, I always liked the duality of his character, but then they just made him a complete villain.

Voyager I still like for various reasons. The Doctor and Seven of Nine mostly. I know a lot of people think Seven of Nine is just eye candy added to "save" the show in the later seasons, but I've actually always really enjoyed her character in the show. Maybe it's because I love Data, and she's kind of a version of him, i.e. the nearly infallible/socially stunted person who often saves the day. The catsuits don't hurt of course, but Jeri Ryan is still a good actress, imo.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 23 Aug 2016, 04:48

Pretty much my view. Also Voyager could be great when it wanted to be. Be it exciting (Scorpion pt1/2) or just great fun (Message In A Bottle).

Its no Ds9/B5/Farscape, but it was still watchable.

Anywho, fingers crossed Discovery is good.
--
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 24 Aug 2016, 20:26

Yeah, I have some high hopes for Discovery. I like Bryan Fuller's work and I like the idea of following a female Lieutenant Commander rather than a Captain. Also the fact that it's going to be a serialized series rather than procedural.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 25 Aug 2016, 04:23

You can definitely tell it's more of an episodic thing than DS9(The whole Warp 10 thing is a perfect example of the writers not talking to each-other; surely they'd continue studying Warp 10 travel even after that incident. Also, if Warp 10 is infinite velocity, what about that TOS episode where they went to Warp 11? And why did Tom turn into a space slug, anyway? And what was the point of the ending?).

I'm looking forward to Discovery. Interesting that it looks like they're essentially doing a "Lower Deck series" with a continuous story arc. Sounds like a really good idea.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Aug 2016, 11:53

"Threshold" was later declared non-canon, and some minor lines later in the show make explicit that it's not in continuity.

As for TOS, it actually used a different warp scale than TNG-era. Warp 5 in TNG and on is significantly faster than Warp 5 in TOS, for example. Though as always, how fast they actually go is simply the speed of plot.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 25 Aug 2016, 12:18

I had a official tng technical manual once that showed the relationship between warp and "how many times C" went up on a curve.
Dunno if thats still considered "accurate"
--
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 26 Aug 2016, 04:31

In my early years I liked TNG and the later seasons of DS9 for the Dominion War. But as I got older and did a binge of TNG and DS9, I much prefer DS9 and its earlier political stories followed by the later seasons. Every time Garak showed up you know it was going to be a good episode.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Aug 2016, 11:04

Garak is pretty amazing. In fact, he's my dad's favourite DS9 character.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 09 Dec 2016, 21:37

Update on my Star Trek watching: I've finished both DS9 and Voyager, and am now watching Enterprise.
DS9 finalé was a little disappointing. Everything surrounding the Dominion war was very good, most of the farewells were handled pretty well, but the Sisko thing was utter nonsense.
Voyager finalé was good, but they really should have had some scenes at the end where they're on Earth.
So far, I'm enjoying Enterprise. Theme song is pretty cheesy, and the overall tone of the show is rather un-Star Trek, but for what it is, I think it's pretty good.

And an update on my viewing of Dragon Ball Super; the ending to the latest arc was a pretty disappointing anticlimax, with most of the final couple of episodes being one deus ex machina after another. As is typical for the standalones, the episodes between the end of the last arc and the start of the next have been pretty fun, with the most recent one being a very silly crossover with Dr. Slump. I just hope the next arc ends better than the last one.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 10 Dec 2016, 04:50

Currently enjoying the new Dirk Gently adaption/sequel series. Did take a few episodes to truly click, but now really into it.

Also Yonderland is pretty fun.
--
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 11 Dec 2016, 01:31

How does the new Dirk Gently compare to the (depressingly cancelled) 2010 Stephen Mangan version?

Watched a couple of things recently: latest season of the techno-paranoia horror/comedy Black Mirror was a little hit or miss, but still one of the best shows I've seen. More techno-paranoia in Humans, which has some beautifully worked subtle brutality, is relatively interesting, but durdles around a heck of a lot. And Westworld, the theme of which seems to be: the path to spiritual enlightenment & understanding is through violence. Hmm...
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 11 Dec 2016, 09:54

Its quite different. The 2010 version, which I also really liked, was almost like a alt-universe Sherlock. In terms of filming, pacing etc.
It also, from what I remember, was basically 3 standalone stories done a bit film-like.
The new US version conforms more to current US tv in terms of serialization and cliffhangers. Its all one plotline.

That said, its still pretty unique in its style/pacing/plot. It chucks a lot at you, and doesn't spell out explanations. At least not at first. Its a lot,lot more weird then the uk adaptation in terms of the universe its building too. Definitely more towards the fantasy/sci-fi end of things.
The other main difference I guess is the UK one directly took from the books - thus you get directly some of Douglas Adams wit and crazy.
The US one is set explicitly as a sequal so its really only taking character/idea. (I think the first episode theres a line mentioning Dirk as having met Thor establishing this, but not much else about his previous life has been mentioned).
--
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 24 Apr 2017, 15:52

So, I just started the last season of Enterprise(Currently about 3 episodes in). Things have really stepped up, and I'm loving it so far; such a shame there's so little left. I suppose I'll still have Animated to tide me over until Discovery.

As for Dragon Ball Super, I'm a couple of weeks behind on it, but I'm enjoying the new arc. It's very slow-going at the moment, which is kind of annoying given how many breather(Or "Filler", if you like) episodes there were before this arc started, but the tone is nice, animation is better(Despite them having a really ugly filter over the whole thing), the new opening theme is very fun, the new closing themes(It's changed twice since my last post) are great, and the stuff being set up in the arc look very promising. Particularly since Boo, Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, and Roshi all actually get to be relevant again!

I'm also quite a way through Death Note(Last episode had the timeskip after L's death; Light's sister getting captured; and Near revealing his intentions to catch Kira). Excellent show, it feels kind of like Sherlock Holmes, but in reverse. Kind of. And also as an anime.
It's great. :D
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 24 Apr 2017, 18:19

I'm rewatching Twin Peaks, getting pumped up for the revival 25 years aft (11 in waiting for me). It's finally out next month!
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 28 Apr 2017, 13:59

Its amazing the "resurrections" we are getting in TV these days.
--
I think at the mo my most enjoyed shows are iZombie and Agents of Shield (which despite using a hack-eyed 'matrix'esq plot has actually got really good.)
--
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 02 May 2017, 17:25

Agents of Shield is very good. Must admit, I wasn't a huge fan the first half of the first season, and I thought season 3 was pretty spotty too in its second half, but I'm really enjoying the current season.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 10 May 2017, 11:34

I finished Star Trek: Enterprise.
I see why a lot of people didn't like that last episode. I enjoyed it, but yeah, it wasn't a very good way to close the book on Enterprise. Still, the last few moments were a near-perfect way to end the second era of Star Trek.
I heard they planned on making Shran a main character if they'd got another season. That's some real salt in the wound of its untimely demise; he was my favourite recurring character. :L

Anyway, this means I'm all caught up in time for Discovery... Whenever that comes out.
I suppose I have The Animated Series to tide me over until then.

In other news, with Star Trek done, I'm resuming Stargate SG-1 which I'd been watching on days when the people I watch Star Trek with weren't available back when I was still in the middle of Next Generation. Then the show went off Netflix.
Anyway, it's nice watching Stargate again. Great show.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 10 May 2017, 16:39

Tried watching 13 Reasons Why for a couple of eps. Just couldn't make myself care.

Return to “General Discussion”