Idea for Desert Bus Optimal Driver Order

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Idea for Desert Bus Optimal Driver Order

Postby MarkVI » 02 Dec 2014, 12:44

So, as a mathematician and long time fan of Desert Bus / LRR, I sometimes find myself thinking of ways to possibly contribute to next year's event.

I came up with the question of how one might optimally choose the order of drivers so as to maximize the number of consecutive points obtained. This question is similar to computing the probability of achieving a run of heads when flipping a coin some number of times, except this is a continuous time situation with changing parameters based on who is driving.

Anyway, I'm thinking of perhaps writing some python code to take a given ordering of drivers and simulate the expected number of consecutive points obtained over the entire run by using the following assumptions:

1. Shifts are 12 hours (though this could be easily modified)
2. The run lasts for the length of DB8
3. No repeated drivers at least until 6.5 days have passed
4. After a bit of research, it seems reasonable to model the probability distribution for the time before a crash for each driver as an expontential distribution

Code: Select all

F(t) = (1/beta)*exp(-t/beta)
for t >= 0, where 1/beta > 0 is a rate parameter. 1/beta will be computed by looking at past driver data, specifically their crash/(drive time) ratio. There may be a better way to model this distribution though, since it doesn't incorporate fatigue...yet.

Then, for a given ordered list of drivers, I would sample times before a crash from the distribution F(t) until the sum of those times exceeds the shift time of the driver. Then proceed to the next driver in the list, and so on, until the run is over, all while keeping track of the maximum number of consecutive points obtained. Do this experiment many times (say 1000) and take the average to get the expected number of consecutive points for the given ordering of drivers.

Anyway, this is as far as I've taken this line of thinking in my head so far. Statistics is not my area of research, but I figured it was an interesting problem to think about regardless. My intuition tells me that perhaps the best ordering of drivers is to simply put them in increasing order of crash to hours driven ratios.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Idea for Desert Bus Optimal Driver Order

Postby Darkflame » 02 Dec 2014, 12:53

Has shift length varied much and is there enough data? Because it would be interesting also to find the optimal shift length.
I mean, I assume crashes happen more when warming up and then again when fatigued sets in (/hypothesis).

Not sure anyones compiled data of crash times into each shift though.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Dec 2014, 13:15

In the first few DBfH they did 4 hour shifts. With four drivers this did horrible things to peoples sleep schedules. They then shifted to 24 hour shifts for a couple years starting with DBfH 4 I think. In DBfH 6 and 7 all drivers had 12 hour shifts. DBfH 8 was the most complicated with Kara, Ashley, Liz and Ash each doing 3 hours and Ian & Johnny and Matt & Cam doing joint shifts.

You would have to clean the crashes of any caused by equipment failures and any caused by guest drivers. You also would have to remove any dives taken and any crashes made when drivers were trying to get bus stops rather than score points. You would also have to remove any crashes caused by the Device.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MarkVI

Postby MarkVI » 02 Dec 2014, 13:19

I just found that the Weibull distribution is like an exponential distribution, but incorporates a failure rate that increases or decreases over time. This is exactly what is needed I think to incorporate fatigue into the model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weibull_distribution
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Dec 2014, 14:16

Be careful about overfitting.
MarkVI

Postby MarkVI » 02 Dec 2014, 14:40

Indeed, perhaps there isn't really enough data to get any kind of accurate prediction. But the math is interesting nonetheless.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Dec 2014, 14:52

Also, make sure you dont forget when judging how much effort to put in.

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
MarkVI

Postby MarkVI » 02 Dec 2014, 15:10

Lord Hosk wrote:Also, make sure you dont forget when judging how much effort to put in.

Oh snap, I almost forgot. But then again, there was something quite special and epic about the 14 point run that happened way back in DB2 or whatever it was.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Dec 2014, 16:19

Yeah that is one of the difficulties in doing this. In the early DBfH there was much more of a focus on getting points than there is now. Even at this year's DBfH different drivers attached different priorities on getting points.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Dec 2014, 16:32

I actually have a fairly detailed breakdown of points and crashes from past Desert Bus's (I compiled the points/crashes for the Driver Profiles on the DB site). I'll try to remember to add in some extra information I have and share it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Dec 2014, 16:35

Everyone knows the ideal driving shift for DB goes:

Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Alex
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Paul
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 02 Dec 2014, 16:42

The optimal driver order is:

T H E D E V I C E
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Dec 2014, 17:23

Ok, here you go: http://bit.ly/1yhB8FP

Every crash and point of Desert Bus. Times for DB 1-4 are very approximate, as we don't have any proper records of those years and are working indirectly (I just had them as scratch notes previously, but I've added them to the spreadsheet as an additional reference).

It's still missing DB8 information, but you can find the relevant information on the DB8 Timeline: http://bit.ly/DB8Timeline
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
MarkVI

Postby MarkVI » 02 Dec 2014, 18:13

That's really helpful Master! Thanks so much

Return to “General Discussion”