Racial Slurs and other "ickiness" in art

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Racial Slurs and other "ickiness" in art

Postby hascow » 19 Dec 2014, 20:21

So I recently went to go see a showing of the musical "Assassins" in downtown Madison. It was an excellent show, and I suggest everyone who gets a chance to go see it does so.

The main point I wanted to bring up was that they use the n-word in this song(give it a listen, it's probably my favorite in the show):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkMfeDfqRk0

I found it to be a very powerful, very meaningful use of it during the song to completely change the tone and direction of the song. This got me thinking about other things that normally get similarly strong reactions (rape scenes, other racial slurs, graphic abuse, etc). Is there anything that should be off-limits for a piece of art (whether movie, musical, whatever)? If so, where is it? If not, it probably doesn't mean that every use of those things is "ok", right? Where do/can we draw the line of "ok" versus "not ok"?

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I felt like it could make for some interesting discussion.
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Racial Slurs and other "ickiness" in art

Postby Matt » 19 Dec 2014, 22:13

I tend to opine that nothing is off limits, but some things must be handled with care.

-m

I am not angry at you.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 Dec 2014, 22:22

"Not ok" can cover a spectrum from "Literally illegal" to "Not my cup of tea, I shan't be staying for the remainder of the performance", and the line past which something is "off limits" falls somewhere in there.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
hascow

Postby hascow » 19 Dec 2014, 22:44

korvys wrote:"Not ok" can cover a spectrum from "Literally illegal" to "Not my cup of tea, I shan't be staying for the remainder of the performance", and the line past which something is "off limits" falls somewhere in there.

Where is that line for you, then? Where do you personally turn from "this is acceptable due to the point it's trying to make" to "this is not ok"?
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 Dec 2014, 23:15

Like most things, it's easier to say that something does or doesn't cross the line on a case by case basis. Both because the line can only really be defined in relation to those things, and because it's the sort of thing that moves as you mature and grow.

It's pretty far to the extreme side. I'm happy to remove myself if I don't like something. I'd even be ok with stuff that I would simultaneously criticise. I.E. I might think a thing is "not ok" and say so, while respecting that I can't say they can't make art about/with it.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Dec 2014, 02:47

I think certain themes needs to be handled with care. With respect. There are themes that do need to addressed and "spoken" about.

Also context helps a lot.

This is on the theme of brutal violence and murder. If you watch The Red Wedding without prior knowledge of Game of Thrones and out of context from the rest of the episode, you will find it disgusting and horrific. If you watch it in-context with the episode and show, you will find it horrible and really sad. Former is a repulsion reaction. Latter is a sorrow as you're aware of how the universe's mechanics work and you've grown attached to these characters.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 20 Dec 2014, 03:19

It's a difficult question to answer simply. Sometimes, use of a generally problematic element or theme (racial slurs, sexual assault, graphic violence) can be shown in a manner that makes a point and is respectful of the subject material. Sometimes it will make me step back and say, "I don't like that, I think that treats the subject matter disrespectfully and it offends me". But, importantly, the statement "I found that really offensive and disrespectful" is not the same as saying "this should not be allowed to exist" or "nothing that uses this subject matter should ever exist". It could easily mean I won't sit through it, I won't support the artist/company behind it, it could mean I advise other people I know not to support it either, but none of that is a statement that the thing is inherently "off-limits" for art.

Or, for an example tilted a different way, I see no contradiction in embracing the use of language in RENT while avoiding other pieces of media who use the same words in a homophobic rather than reclaiming fashion.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 20 Dec 2014, 05:36

Context is everything. How something is used is much,much more important then what it is.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 20 Dec 2014, 05:48

For me, if you use offensive terms or sensitive subjects just because 'you can', that's not cool. If you're doing it to be lazy about establishing a character, (i.e. He's a terrible person because he raped someone), that's not cool. If you're doing it to make an impact on someone on how serious an issue is, then I'm okay with that.

I.e. A film about American Slavery can have racial slurs in it, because it was commonplace back then; the use of it that would offend people is used to illustrate how bad things were back then.

Art should not have to be politically correct to make a point, but it also shouldn't just shock people for a reaction. Art that makes you feel uncomfortable or angry when you see it should be created for the sole purpose of making you confront that issue.

Creating art that does not confront and debate the issue, but just uses is as a lazy framework for a narrative is just bad art, not something that should be censored.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Dec 2014, 08:12

Awareness of context and how people will respond is key (and hardly limited to just "icky" stuff). That's why saying "it's just a joke" when people respond badly to you saying horrible is not a defense - it's on you to set up that it's actually a joke beforehand, rather than retroactively claiming it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 20 Dec 2014, 08:59

With how the rap community is in love with racial slurs, I don't see how a time set musical number is even a discussion worth having.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Dec 2014, 09:27

The three key points are:

1. Context.
2. Context.
3. Context.

Once you have those, you're good to go.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

hascow

Postby hascow » 20 Dec 2014, 09:57

mariomario42 wrote:With how the rap community is in love with racial slurs, I don't see how a time set musical number is even a discussion worth having.

The point was not specifically this musical number, as I don't have a problem with it at all. It was just what jumped my brain into thinking about this whole thing.

I also think that the rap community trying to use it in a context of reclamation is a completely different situation from others using it in artistic works.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Dec 2014, 10:44

There was controversy before I think with Radio 1 in the UK refusing to play "Fairytale of New York" because a line in it uses the word "faggot" in a derogative insult.
I don't think I have an opinion on that matter yet.

All I know is that if for some reason I had to sing the song, I would use a different insult. Perhaps "arse hole" since that's gender, ethnicity and sexuality neutral. Sod rhyming scheme.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 20 Dec 2014, 13:05

Interestingly enough, Canada (I believe) banned the playing of the unedited version of Money for Nothing for exactly the same reason
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 21 Dec 2014, 09:50

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Interestingly enough, Canada (I believe) banned the playing of the unedited version of Money for Nothing for exactly the same reason

What? You mean the Dire Straits song?
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Dec 2014, 10:50

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:
My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Interestingly enough, Canada (I believe) banned the playing of the unedited version of Money for Nothing for exactly the same reason

What? You mean the Dire Straits song?

Yup. "The little faggot got his own jet airplane" was apparently deemed not politically correct.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Dec 2014, 12:19

...back in the 80's, no less.

Canada: forerunner of social mores? Trendsetter?

Return to “General Discussion”